PDA

View Full Version : Breaststrokers, i need your help !!

Crazy Asian
February 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
so i've notices that I am very good at the drill where you do dolphin kicks instead of breaststroke kick. We were doing 100's (SCY) with fins and i went a 56 doing the dolphin kick. This is 11 seconds faster than my regular 100 breast.

I want to know if any of you have tips for taking on the wave style breaststroke. I feel I can go much faster this way.

Also, i felt so fast in breaststroke during practice earlier this week, like a made a breakthrough, but now my stroke feels like sh1t, and i keep sinking after every pull. Why does this happen?

btw, i go a 1:06 scy.
want to get that down to a 1:00.

Thrashing Slug
February 3rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
I know what you mean about dolphin kicking breaststroke with fins. I'm nowhere near as fast as you, but I notice it is pretty easy to go fast while doing that drill. I think it's just an illusion though and doesn't translate well to doing the full stroke without fins. To me, the fins put too much emphasis on the dolphin kick which makes me lose the feel for real breaststroke. I find that the dolphin kick drill works much better without fins.

My favorite drill for getting the feel of the wave is to swim 75s, with the first 25 dolphin kick, the 2nd 25 normal breaststroke easy speed, and the last 25 all-out sprint.

Another one I like is to swim a lot of breaststroke with closed fists, then switch to normal open hands.

For me both of these drills result in that effortless glide feeling which is the exact opposite of the "sinking" feeling you describe.

Superfly
February 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
It is all about timing, reducing resistance and catch the water right?

I had a big "aha" experience when i started bending my knees during the leg recovery rather than bending my hips....it has taken me 6 months to get the same power in the kick as I had before (i needed much more flexibility in my feet to do it) but now I have much less resistance since my feet and legs are behind me (in already disturbed water) rather than under me (in still-standing water).

Another thing I have learned was the "fast hands" from Dave Denniston and Brendan Hansen GoSwim DVDs. It feels awkward in the beginning, but it simply is faster.

Reg "wave breaststroke" there is a good series of pictures and comments here:
http://www.breaststroke.info

Good luck!

Per

PS If you have the possibility to post videos of you while swimming it will be much easier to comment your improvement areas. Preferrably underwater footage from side and front/rear. I did that and got fantastic feedback a couple of weeks ago. DS

blainesapprentice
February 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
If you are tapering for your high school meets---which I thought you had mentioned at some point on here...you might be feeling crappy just because of the stage of the taper. I wouldn't change your stroke around too dramatically if your coming up on your championship meets...but thats just me...I can't help you too much in the way of breaststroke--its my worst stroke:-p

Crazy Asian
February 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
yeah tapering just started yesterday for the big meet next week (not state, but it's important)

I know that fins make me go a lot faster, but not by that much. the breaststroker that goes a 1:03, went a 1:01 with fins, so i think that i need to incorporate it into my stroke.

and yeah i don't think i should change it much and just wait 2 days and see if i get that feeling back.

also, how do i film myself underwater?
plastic bag around camera?

Allen Stark
February 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Is your pull the same with fins and with full stroke? It is easier to have your hands in front of you and "fast hands" with fins.If there is a difference try doing the fins pull with full stroke.Also swimming breaststroke underwater is a good way to feel if there are any dead spots in your stroke.I do agree though that during taper is not a good time to change your stroke.

Blackbeard's Peg
February 4th, 2008, 12:29 AM
also, how do i film myself underwater?
plastic bag around camera?

try that and let us know how that works... :dedhorse:
Go out and buy a waterproof camera. There are plenty out there and recommended here on the forums. Save up or ask for a nice graduation present (if you're a senior).

Lightning
February 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Like Superfly, one of my aha experiences was a recommendation about bending my knees on the kick recovery, not my hips, so I hide my legs more and don't slow down as much between every stroke.

Also, posting a video here gave me tremendous feedback and lots to work on - and it wasn't even an underwater video. Give it a shot!

orca1946
February 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Thanx for the tips ! I'll try them tonight!