PDA

View Full Version : Fishy pics

geochuck
February 3rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
A new email from the photagrapher - Pam Driver (photographer) and Bill Driver is my husband who's responsible for suggesting I get the camera while he retrieved our sailboat mast to get the catfish to shore...

This is a sequence of fishy pics. A fish having a ball and then getting rid of it with help. I uploaded in the wrong sequence the forth pic should be the second pic.

This picture was taken by Pam Driver Wichita Kansas she saw a ball bouncing around kind of strangely in the lake and went to investigate. It turned out to be a flathead catfish who had obviously tried to swallow a basketball which became stuck in its mouth!!

Thanks Pam for the email - Please correct your catfish w/basketball story - happened in Wichita, KS - I'm the photographer - check out Snopes.com, Wichita Eagle, Ripley's or National Enquirer - May 2004!

You probably wouldn't have believed this, if you hadn't seen the following pictures...

geochuck
February 4th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Don't swim in this lagoon http://videos.fansub.tv/tube.php/yt-76645f5055364a54715630/creature+from+black+lagoon+julia+adams+horror+clas sic+sci-fi+science+fiction+Richard+Carlson+universal+jack+ arnold+1954/Creature%20from%20the%20Black%20Lagoon-%20Fancy%20a%20Swim%20-Famous%20Scene/

tjburk
February 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Haven't seen that movie in years!!!!!

Ripple
February 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM
That brings back my favorite movie memory... seeing that film on a rainy April afternoon in a cinema packed with rowdy college students on spring break... all cheering for the monster, of course. I was amazed at how many fashionable outfits the female character packed for a scientific boat trip down the Amazon river.
Her technique isn't too bad, but I think the creature is dropping his elbows a bit.:thhbbb:

Allen Stark
February 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Typical example of some show off with paddles and fins keeping up with a swimmer with much better form.With all his gadgets and wet suit it was obviously a triathlete.
Seriously,anyone know the woman's swimming back ground?
She swam much better than the typical Hollywood actor.

3strokes
February 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Typical example of some show off with paddles and fins keeping up with a swimmer with much better form.With all his gadgets and wet suit it was obviously a triathlete.
Seriously,anyone know the woman's swimming back ground?
She swam much better than the typical Hollywood actor.

I tried looking her up on the Net. Her name is Julie (Julia) Adams and
her most recognized portrayal, was that of Kay Lawrence in the famous sci-fi flick The Creature From the Black Lagoon (http://www.the-reelgillman.com/) in 1954.

Nowhere (imdb or wikipedia and I stopped there) do they mention "swimming". She certainly seemed to "flow" and "glide" better than a lot of Hollywood babes (in swimming scenes).

I saw that movie when I was 11 or 12 and stuck to swimming pools where I could see the bottom at all times or to plain sandy, clearwater beaches. Any algae field, large enough to hide guppies or mini-minnows, I would stay clear of. Until I swam with dolphins in Port-Fouad (near Port-Said at the North end of the Suez Canal when I was 16 or 17 (trying to impress girls naturally). They did act impressed (even thoug they could tell the difference between dolphins and (Red Sea) sharks). I just hoped that those dolphins had been reared properly in their pods and had been taught -by Mamma- mammal to mammal etiquette and that they were "supposed" to be friendly (or, better yet, indifferent) to humans (to this one, at least).

tjburk
February 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
If you watch closely you can see that they probably used a double for the swimming shown from underwater. Her stroke is completely different when they show her from above the water....watch her arms on back stroke....

SwimStud
February 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Oh please that's just Poolraat in his "aquatic wildlife observation" outfit...:thhbbb:

tjburk
February 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I think it actually might be the long lost proof that the unnamed one was actually a swimmer all along!!!!!!!!

poolraat
February 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Oh please that's just Poolraat in his "aquatic wildlife observation" outfit...:thhbbb:

You're just jealous that you can't swim backstroke as well as the creature. That outfit has served me well over the years.

DeletedAccount
February 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON! Great movie! A Universal classic - it can be harder to find now on DVD ($$$) but The Legacy Collection is great and well worth it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002NRRRY/imdb-button/

IMDb Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046876/

Incredible new figure from Sideshow Collectibles - Creature From The Black Lagoon statue, ships in April 2008, looks amazing! : http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=7137#jpgs

DeletedAccount
February 21st, 2008, 11:10 PM
I was just posting here about this movie yesterday and some sad news tonite....

Ben Chapman (The Gillman from CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON) passed away this morning at 12:15 AM Hawaii time. He was
admitted to the hospital two days ago and died peacefully in his
hospital bed. He had a living will and they turned off his life
support yesterday about noon Hawaii time. They will be having a
memorial service near the beach. He turned 79 last October.

RIP Ben Chapman (1928-2008)

Your lagoon awaits.....