PDA

View Full Version : Media Alert: Announcing My Retirement

Steve Ruiter
February 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Following the lead of Michael Phelps and Sebastian Coe, I wish to announce that I will definitiely not be involved in the Olympics, or USMS, or anything else, for that matter, after the completion of the 2075 FINA Masters World Championships.

I plan to have a press conference on March 23, 2046 to answer questions from the media. Brent Rutemiller, please stop calling me!

I have discussed this with my family, my agents, my coaching team and my sponsors at length. There may be a significant number of groupies out there that have yet to hear the news, so please be gentle with them.

While this may be dissapointing, even devastating to some, I feel an urgent need to get this out in the open now and clear the air. It just comes down to the viability of a 110 year old competing at that level and the importance of spending more time with my family, or the very real possibility that I might be dead by then. All the ongoing speculation has been keeping me from focusing on being a fair to middling middle-aged olympic swimming non-contender.

Phew. That wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.

geochuck
February 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Steve I have made the same statement about retiring six or more times. Congratulations I will try and be at that retirement confernce March 23, 2046. I will be there if I can, I will be 112 years old.

Hoosier
February 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I still plan on competing.:joker:

Blackbeard's Peg
February 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
For all who are asking "what the eff is Steve talking about?!"

Michael Phelps announced the date of his retirement (link (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/17029.asp))
as did 2012 London Olympics organizer Lord Sebastian Coe (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/17046.asp)

JMiller
February 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
That's funny... Phelps saying he'll not be racing after age 30... perhaps... let's see what he says when he's 34. Either way, that 200 fly masters 30-34 WR might be safe for awhile...