PDA

View Full Version : Question about kicks in freestyle (2 beat kicks)

ddl
February 16th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hi, I'm curious about this because I saw good swimmers doing it different ways and wonder which is better:

Right after you had a kick during 2-beat-kick freestyle, do you leave the two legs far apart like scissors then kick the other leg, or do you draw the two legs together then initiate another kick? The former seems to provide stronger kick, but the latter seems to reduce drag better. I also noticed those who does the former way, their legs are quite straight when kicking, while those doing the latter way, their legs bend more when kicking.

Any replies welcome.

JMiller
February 16th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Hi, I'm curious about this because I saw good swimmers doing it different ways and wonder which is better:

Right after you had a kick during 2-beat-kick freestyle, do you leave the two legs far apart like scissors then kick the other leg, or do you draw the two legs together then initiate another kick? The former seems to provide stronger kick, but the latter seems to reduce drag better. I also noticed those who does the former way, their legs are quite straight when kicking, while those doing the latter way, their legs bend more when kicking.

Any replies welcome.

Think less, swim more.

ddl
February 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Think less, swim more.

I think, therefore I am. :|

JMiller
February 16th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Any replies welcome.

The real question is, what works best for you? Other than that, there is no better way.

ddl
February 16th, 2008, 12:44 AM
What prompted this question and made me take notice of how others swim is that I just found out I'm swimming asymmetrically: I kick my left leg the former way, my right leg the latter way. If I correct it one way or the other, I believe i'll make great improvement :)

geochuck
February 16th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Have a look here it says either way. http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=3107_0_20_0_C#

It is what feels best for you. I prefer a six beat kick for me at all times but use 2, 4, and 6 beat kicking when I swim. It depends how I feel.

ddl
February 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Thank you for the link.