PDA

View Full Version : invitation to guests

jim thornton
February 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I just noticed that there are 11 members now reading various threads--and 83 guests.

Though some of your guests might be non-human web-browsing robots of some sort, out to pilfer information for whatever odd purposes you may or may not have, I would like to invite the human viewers who have not yet signed up for free forum membership to please consider doing so.

This is a great community of swimmers with lots of encouragement and wisdom and experiences.

Nevertheless, we could definitely use some new blood. Lurkers out there, one and all! (Loren, if you are one of these, I sense your presence.) Join!

geochuck
February 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
If you are out there Dara please don't consider us all as Goofs.

shark
February 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I just noticed that there are 11 members now reading various threads--and 83 guests.

Though some of your guests might be non-human web-browsing robots of some sort, out to pilfer information for whatever odd purposes you may or may not have, I would like to invite the human viewers who have not yet signed up for free forum membership to please consider doing so.

This is a great community of swimmers with lots of encouragement and wisdom and experiences.

Nevertheless, we could definitely use some new blood. Lurkers out there, one and all! (Loren, if you are one of these, I sense your presence.) Join!

I too would like to see new blood. Are there any Man-o-war, Barracuda, Piranha, Volofish or Sailfish lurking about?

DolphinGirl
February 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Okay, I decided to take you up on your invitation :) My name is Susan. DolphinGirl is my user name because that's my husband's nickname for me

I've been swimming masters since 2001 and lurking here just as long. I'm a distance freestyle girl, absolutely no fast twitch muscles in this bod. I'm also working on getting back into breastroke again. I used to be a breaststroker as a kid, then somehow I lost the feel for the stroke, and now I seem to be getting it back again.

Lightning
February 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Welcome DolphinGirl! I too, lurked a long time reading and learning, before joining. And have greatly improved my Breaststroke directly from this forum!

pwolf66
February 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Welcome DG!!!!!

Hulk

jim thornton
February 26th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah! Fresh blood! Dolphin girl, welcome.

I reiterate the open invitation to lurkers everywhere to join Dolphin Girl and other former lurkers!

Please consider joining if for no other reason that to vote in the incendiary Dara Torres poll and thus contribute to the wisdom of crowds prognostication!

Allen Stark
February 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I lurked for a while and then someone said something about breaststroke and I HAD to reply.Come on in the water is fine.

3strokes
February 26th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah! Fresh blood! Dolphin girl, welcome.

Is this thread going to turn into a Dracula-fest?
(Violins playing "Memories of the Masquerade")
:violin:

bubblefish
February 27th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Hi, everyone! I have also decided to de-lurk.

I have been swimming masters for less than a year but I love it dearly. I am currently away from my team but I am still training on my own and doing my best to get in the pool everyday. I am primarily a breaststroker and mid-distance freestyler, but I am really up for anything. Except backstroke.

2fish&1whale
February 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM
OMG, who knew there were all these breaststokers out there! :woot:

Welcome!

geochuck
February 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Welcome to all of the breastrokers.

Where are all the real swimmers crawl and fly??? We need more to cancel the over pupulation of strokes that are unrevelant!

markh
February 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'll also take this opportunity to de-lurk. My name is Mark, and I began swimming Masters (and lurking here) on and off last year after a 20-year layoff, and am now swimming (and lurking) more regularly this year.

George, I'm not sure if I would call myself a "real swimmer," but I enjoy sprint freestyle and butterfly and am about as far from being a breaststroker as you can get. The only thing I do worse than breaststroke is backstroke, which makes me seasick.

I've been lucky enough to have the chance to swim with the legendary Jim Thornton from time to time, and am inspired by his example of equaling or bettering his pre-masters times as an "experienced" master. I haven't given up on the goal of bettering my times from my undistinguished career on the YMCA swim team yet, but have a long way to go.

geochuck
February 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM
You are like me I do not swim breaststroke and I get seasick swimming back stroke.

Welcome to the forum.

jim thornton
February 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Welcome Mark and Bubblefish alike! This is great! Fresh, wholesome, toothsome, delicious, inspiring, bloody...blood!

We evolutionary buff who love swimming know all too well that we carry within us a red sea of salinity from the distant days of antiquity.

Not a beverage for vampires, but portable swimming holes from aeons past, which our fin-legged forefathers carried with them so their cells could continue on with the Life Aquatic on terra firma.

Masters swimming is nothing more than homesickness and the lure of our beginnings.

Fresh blood, yes indeedy do!

That Guy
February 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome Mark, as a new butterflyer on these forums, your initiation is a 200 fly, on the 60... ready, GO!

.... and ... you're still here, not doing a 200 fly... Seriously am I the only one that fell for the initiation gag? :cry:

mermaid
February 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Yay Mark!!! So glad you're staying with it -- hope to see you at more meets!!:woot::woot:

3strokes
February 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Welcome to all of the breastrokers.

Where are all the real swimmers crawl and fly??? We need more to cancel the over pupulation of strokes that are unrevelant!

The crawlers have been here and around all along (EVF'ing, of course).

markh
February 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Welcome Mark, as a new butterflyer on these forums, your initiation is a 200 fly, on the 60... ready, GO!

Ouch! I'm still a bit tired and sore from that 200 fly. I should have read the rest of your post before I headed to the pool :p

Thanks for all the welcomes! Mermaid... I had thought your avatar looked familiar.

LMH
February 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Well Jim you shamed me into it. I have been swimming YMCA masters for over 20 years in central and western Pennsylvania and have been a lurker a very long time.
I have learned alot from the forums, both swimming and how the written word can be hard to express the emotions and passions people have for the sport of swimming.
Jim, see you Sunday.:whiteflag:

mermaid
February 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Yay Loren!!! See you Sunday!!! :woot::woot: