PDA

View Full Version : Dara, Unscientific Poll, Wisdom of Crowds

jim thornton
February 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I suggest that we take an unscientific vote on this matter, then table the topic until there is some more definitive news, which may never come, but then again might.

The wisdom of crowds suggests that our completely biased and boneheaded attitudes and beliefs--contradictory as the stew of opinions here is--might well cancel each other out in such a way as to provide a valid collective answer.

Then we can come back in a year, decade, or whenever, and some can yell, "I told you so!" from their respective berths in the nursing home, before, that is, speedily reattaching the oxygen mask and HGH drip.

gobears
February 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Add an "I'd like to believe (she's clean) but have questions" button. But, again, the results of this poll prove nothing. So it's interesting but useless as far as determining the truth.

Edited to clarify initial statement.

geochuck
February 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
More important I would like a truth poll.

1. I do drugs.

2. I do not do drugs.

3. I have used drugs but no longer do drugs.

4. I'll never tell.

jim thornton
February 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I think everyone would like to believe she's clean. I just want to see what people actually think--convinced one way or the other (standard for criminal trial), skeptical but leaning in one direction or the other (standard for civil trial), or truly unable to decide (not sure what this is a standard for, other than maybe a hung jury).

As far as the uselessness of such polls go, you're almost certainly correct. However, I heard once in a description of "the wisdom of crowds" that somebody asked a throng to estimate the weight of a bull. Guesses varied all over the map, from 200 lb. to 12,000. But when you totalled up all the guesses and averaged them, the "wise crowd" had collectively pegged the bull's weight within an ounce or two of its real weight.

Of course, you need a pretty big crowd to get such results, and I don't think it works for everything. For instance, we had a fairly big crowd voting in the past two presidential elections...but the cleanliness or dirtiness involved in this is another topic altogether.

gobears
February 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
we had a fairly big crowd voting in the past two presidential elections...but the cleanliness or dirtiness involved in this is another topic altogether.LOL. I also like the idea of coming back in twenty or thirty years from our nursing home beds with a declaration of "I told you so!" Though, I won't be able to claim anything since I can't make up my mind definitively. I guess I'll choose the "I can't decide" option since I'll likely never know and I go back and forth on my thoughts about it all.

jim thornton
February 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
George, I think it depends on what "drugs" are.

I do:

lipitor
effexor
lexapro
aspirin and nsaids
the occasional modafanil
vicodin/percocets following tooth extraction, etc. (please note, neighborhood addicts: it's all gone now--no need to ransack my already ruined estate in pursuit to left over pulvules!)
Nyquil whenever I can get my hands on it
ambien

in the past:
spirited and hop-based beverages
the vapors that cannot be named (very rarely: made me exceedingly paranoid)
andogrel -- a testosterone replacement formulation you rub into your skin (did this for an article in Modern Maturity--had no effects that I could determine)

for another article (this one for GQ) I took several $100 worth of GNC OTC supplements, from creatine to whey protein to what the maker claimed were HGH precursors--these did have an effect, i.e., turning my urine into such a neon spectacular it was kind of like a Fourth of July extravaganza every time I relieved myself

in my younger years, there were all manner of inappropriately prescribed anti psychotics and the like.

so far, I haven't found anything, besides Jolt gum and Triberry Gu, that has helped my swimming at all!

ALM
February 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
LOL. I also like the idea of coming back in twenty or thirty years from our nursing home beds with a declaration of "I told you so!"

Scene: The USMS Nursing Home
Date: The year 2048

geochuck: "Did you see that on the TV? See, I told you she was clean. They tested her blood samples using that new Robo-Nuke-6000-Electron-Imager. I told you so! I told you so!"

aquageek: "He's just in a good mood because he broke all of those 160+ age group records last week."

scyfreestyler: "Isn't it funny, back then we thought 41 was old. We sure had to eat crow when SwimStud broke Phelps's 200 Fly WR at age 60."

SwimStud: "Yes, the ladies flocked to me after that one."

Fortress: "That's nothing. I could have whipped him if I hadn't broken my toe for the 74th time."

TheGoodSmith: "The Robo-Nuke-6000-Electron-Imager still doesn't prove that she's clean. Those BALCO guys anticipated its invention and worked around it."

geochuck: "The Mexicans don't believe in the Robo-Nuke-6000-Electron-Imager. They're the ones who proved the value of two margaritas before a race."

ande: "I just got an e-mail about that new Speedo suit, the Titanium Corset. Not too pricey at $3,400.00."

Fortress: "My great-great-great-grandkids are swimming against summer league swimmers whose parents bought them the Titanium Corset."

(Clock chimes in background)

scyfreestyler: "Well, you know what time it is..."

SwimStud: "It's noodle time! Let's hit the pool!"

aquageek: :rant3:

geochuck
February 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
When I swam in the Lac Saint Jean marathon race. I saw a swimmer get an injection in his arm. He swam up to the side of the boat, there was a doctor in the boat and he injected the swimmer. The injection was for sea sickness. After the race I asked the doctor what it was he said, cocaine.

Was it legal after all a doctor prescribed it and injected it.

aquageek
February 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Was it legal after all a doctor prescribed it and injected it.

Just a few weeks back Lilly settled for $690m for improper marketing of Zyprexa. I believe it is some violation of law to administer a drug not for its intended purpose, but I'm not entirely sure on that. Nevertheless, it certainly is financially unwise to do so.

ViveBene
February 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Just a few weeks back Lilly settled for $690m for improper marketing of Zyprexa. I believe it is some violation of law to administer a drug not for its intended purpose, but I'm not entirely sure on that. Nevertheless, it certainly is financially unwise to do so.

A nonapproved or off-label use is not necessarily per se a violation of the law.

"Jayhawk," that's the funniest thing I've seen here! Maybe Scene Two will have a role for the Admins: "Registration is now open for the long-course polar swim. This year we are floating polyfoam icebergs with virtual polar bears posed menacingly on them to make you swim faster. Separate heats for the 120-140 age group and for Long-Tailed Mermaid Monofins. The **ssians have promised not to spike the free water bottles with heavy metals.":cool:

The Fortress
February 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Date: The year 2048

geochuck: "Did you see that on the TV? See, I told you she was clean. They tested her blood samples using that new Robo-Nuke-6000-Electron-Imager. I told you so! I told you so!"

aquageek: "He's just in a good mood because he broke all of those 160+ age group records last week."

scyfreestyler: "Isn't it funny, back then we thought 41 was old. We sure had to eat crow when SwimStud broke Phelps's 200 Fly WR at age 60."

SwimStud: "Yes, the ladies flocked to me after that one."

Fortress: "That's nothing. I could have whipped him if I hadn't broken my toe for the 74th time."

TheGoodSmith: "The Robo-Nuke-6000-Electron-Imager still doesn't prove that she's clean. Those BALCO guys anticipated its invention and worked around it."

geochuck: "The Mexicans don't believe in the Robo-Nuke-6000-Electron-Imager. They're the ones who proved the value of two margaritas before a race."

ande: "I just got an e-mail about that new Speedo suit, the Titanium Corset. Not too pricey at $3,400.00."

Fortress: "My great-great-great-grandkids are swimming against summer league swimmers whose parents bought them the Titanium Corset."

(Clock chimes in background)

scyfreestyler: "Well, you know what time it is..."

SwimStud: "It's noodle time! Let's hit the pool!"

aquageek: :rant3:

:lmao::applaud:

POST NOODLE VISIT FROM NURSE:

Nurse: "Did you have a nice noodle? Here are your meds, kids."

(S)he-Man: "I've told you before, I refuse to take them. I'm sticking with my chiropractor's homeopathic regimen until I become senile."

Jim Thornton: "Can I have yours?"

Ande: "I'm skipping my sedative today, thanks. I snoozed so much yesterday, I forgot to post to my geezer blog. It's up to 1,000,000,000 views now."

Aquageek: "What's your monthly pill bill these days, (S)he-Man?"

(S)he-Man: "Well, at least one of us here can wear the Titanium Corset. Better that than a tri bike with bell, although I DO so respect triathletes for their training ethic."

Noodles Romanoff: "I am still sick of the valueless, meaningless squabbling. Soon Ande will be necro-ing the cursed tri thread again and I'll have to log on as my alias to scold people. Don't you people ever grow up and act like mature adults?"

Jim Thornton: "Why do that? Where's my manservant? I'd like a massage with my meds to achieve the proper reverie for contemplating my reckless debauched youth."

Ande: "Sorry, Fortress has passed on. She sprained her ankle on the walking path and fell into a car."

Aquageek: "Can I have my Lance crackers, nurse?"

Nurse: "They've been banned as illegal substances, I'm afraid."

Aquageek: :rant3: I'm going back to ice cream, doritos and beer then.

Paul Wolf (groggily waking up): "Isn't that what we're supposed to eat? Damn, I missed noodle time again. Wish I could sleep better.

Aquageek: "Try ambien."

Jim Thornton: "Yes, do try it. Is the nurse gone? I've got one hidden in my slipper here that I can spare."

Ande: "He's got to post drug use on his blog."

(S)he-Man: "Paul, don't do it! Stay clean. Think of your legacy."

Ande: "Yes, listen to her. (S)he's fast."

Jonathan Miller: "DING, DING, DING. Yesssiiiirrrrr, she's amazing, incredible, indescribable ...."

Noodles Romanoff: "Chat hour is over. Post it on the rant thread if you must carry on."

aquageek
February 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Aquageek: Can I have my Lance crackers, nurse?

Nurse: They've been banned as illegal substances.

Have I previously made known my addiction to Lance crackers or have you visited my pantry? I would seriously die of hunger if they were banned, in a matter of days.

mermaid
February 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Absolutely hilarious

3strokes
February 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
More impotant I would like a truth poll.

1. I do drugs.
2. I do not do drugs.
3. I have used drugs but no longer do drugs.
4. I'll never tell.

What is the definition of drugs?
And what is the meaning of IS?

I'm on half a dozen prescriptions. Am I dirty?

geochuck
February 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
3strokes I am glad you did not mention impotent, I must edit my statement.

Allen Stark
February 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Once a medicine had been approved by the FDA a physician is free to prescribe it for anything he/she feels is appropriate(with some restrictions on category II restricted meds.)

JMiller
February 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM

3strokes
February 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
There you have it... According to this vote, Dara is a hero!

Or to put politically incorrect (but grammatically correct), she's a heroine.
But .............. isn't that a drug (if without the "e")? ;)

She is amazing.

aquaFeisty
February 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Those nursing home posts are some of the funniest things I've read on here in days... :applaud:

thewookiee
February 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM
There you have it... According to this vote, Dara is a hero!

No. According to this vote, the majority think she is CLEAN. The poll doesn't ask if she is a "hero" just if we think is clean or dirty.
There is a difference in being a "hero" and being considered "clean" Dara is not a hero in my opinion, just a talented, hard working swimmer that should be given the benefit of the doubt.

geochuck
February 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
The dirty portion of the poll could mean she forgot to shower before she went in the pool. So I don't think it is needed.

aquageek
February 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM
What exactly makes her a hero? That is bizarre and downright idiotic. Is she a hero because she sponges off her current boyfriend and ex husbands to the tune of $100K for trainers, etc? Is she just a hero because she can swim fast in her 40s. I know many fast 40 year old women, many who earn their own money and raise more than one kid.

Surely she might be inspirational but hero, that's a bit dramatic.

ALM
February 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Date: 2048, the day of Fort's funeral

geochuck: "Where are we going, again?"

ande: "To The Fortress's funeral. She forgot that she can't run 20 miles a day any more, and fell in front of a car."

geochuck: "But why is it so far away?"

aquageek: "Because she's being buried in Lane 10 of the BU pool."

SwimStud: "The wall lane. She really grew to like that lane over the years, especially after she became a distance swimmer."

JMiller: "Hey, is that THE Rob Copeland over there? The former President of USMS?"

Jim Thornton: "No, that's one of the members of the 1992 Chinese women's swim team. See? She has more body hair than Rob does."

tomtopo: "Just type 'EVF + BU Pool' into Google. It will show you the most efficient way to get to the pool."

ande: "I thought that KaizenSwimmer disproved that whole EVF theory 30 years ago."

SwimStud: "It's aqua-noodle time. I'm not missing it just for a funeral."

jim thornton
February 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Slightly over half appear convinced Dara has done nothing wrong; add in another chunk that's skeptical but leaning towards thinking she is clean--and so far the wisdom of this admittedly small crowd is skewing about 80 percent favorable.

Iwannafly
February 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Slightly over half appear convinced Dara has done nothing wrong; add in another chunk that's skeptical but leaning towards thinking she is clean--and so far the wisdom of this admittedly small crowd is skewing about 80 percent favorable.
Plus or minus approximately 12%! Statistics are cool!:doh:

Chris Stevenson
February 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Plus or minus approximately 12%! Statistics are cool!:doh:

Ah, a kindred soul...(I teach a stats class).

scyfreestyler
February 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Something like 82.5% of statistics are made up and have no factual basis you know!

Iwannafly
February 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Something like 82.5% of statistics are made up and have no factual basis you know!

That's the great thing about statistics. You put complete BS in print and if you throw in a percentage, people will believe you. I always like to look for sample size and/or error.

I knew there was something I liked about you Chris!:p If I could afford to be a career student, I would study mathematics and statistics. I have a mountain biking friend at the University of Richmond studying biostatistics. What sort of stats courses do you teach?

BillS
February 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Anna Lee, Fort . . . very funny stuff. Good job.

Chris Stevenson
February 28th, 2008, 05:30 AM
What sort of stats courses do you teach?

Just a beginner stats course, a companion course for an analytical chemistry course (teaching them the stats they need to know to work up the data they will collect). I'm an analytical chemist by training, though I've branched out some since then. I use lots of multivariate stats in my research.

Stillhere
February 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Gosh, nine out of ten constipated people really don't give a crap anyway----