PDA

View Full Version : My other sport.

geochuck
February 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
My other sport had a lot to do with water. The Hungarians who played in this waterpolo game came to Canada. They stayed in Canada and I played waterpolo against them at least 7 times a year. This is waterpolo http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3511119852210872926&q=videos+1956+melbourne&total=122&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=8

I was at the game it was a very rough and dirty game. It was actually worse then what it shows in this video which is taken from a movie depicting the game. There was a riot at the pool.

david.margrave
February 28th, 2008, 01:58 AM
It looks like the Hungarians showed a lot of restraint. Were you at the game depicted in the movie (USSR vs Hungary)? There was a lot of bad blood between the two countries in 1956 for obvious reasons.

geochuck
February 28th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I was at the game, it was bad blood before the game, because of the Hungarian Revolution. There were punches elbows, dunkings, and kicks from the start. After the first goal it really got bad and it continued until the major blood letting. Who was playing the dirtiest game I would say they were even.

When we played the Hungarians in every game it was the same, the dirtiest team I ever played. It was a brawl each time we played. The worst part the fans from Hungry followed their team to each game. We played them in Hamilton and the Hungarian spectators at the pool pulled our coach off the players bench and started to beat him. Our whole team got out of the water and started brawling in the stands. Some of our junior players watching the game were thrown from the upper level around the pool on top of people who were on a stairway that were exiting. There were over 3000 people there and at least 2500 were Hungarians.

Our team was loaded with some pretty big guys, 3 who were heavy weight wrestlers. The brawl started in the pool when 2 Hungarians grabbed Len Whiteman, one grabbed him and held him from the back and the other started punching him. I punched the guy who had Whitey, and he took on the guy who held him. The brawl was then on.

We were in the shallow end of our pool and then the whole team was in there fighting in the shallow end. The players from both benches, then some of the Hungarian fans. There was more blood in our pool then at the Olympics.

I saw them grab our coach and our players all got out and went into the stand where they were whaling on Jimmy Thompson our coach who was very small 136 pounder.

Finally the gang squad from the Police dept arrived and of course the fight ended. Several our players were suspended for a year as well as a few of their players. Len Whiteman, Mike McLauglan and the 3 who came off the bench, the Hungarians had a few suspended also.

mermaid
February 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
You're amazing George!

shark
February 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM
George,

That is a great story. The attorney's must have had a heyday, I wonder how many people got sued? Oh, wait, this was 1956. A handshake and a beer probably settled the dispute.

geochuck
February 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
My coach that day before the game forgot to bring his whites. He always wore a white shirt and pants when he sat on the players bench.

You have to have seen this. Jimmy 5' 6", 136 lbs. I lent him my brand new white shirt, 19 inch neck with 36" sleeves, he rolled up the sleeves and was literally swimming in my shirt. When they grabbed Jimmy and pulled him into the stands they shredded my beautiful Arrow Shirt.

You are right no law suits.