PDA

View Full Version : Dick Bower

geochuck
February 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I noticed a name in the top 10 master swimmers in my age group, 75/79 - Dick Bower is he the same Dick Bower that I knew in the old days???

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php

Glider
February 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, he was my coach at Greater Pittsburgh Swim Club in PA back in the late 1960s. My dad was one of his assistant coaches for awhile.

He moved to New Orleans to coach at Tulane in the early 70s. I went to the same high school as one of his sons in the early/mid 70s...

I went to go swim for him at Tulane, but he left to coach his own AAU team in Metarie, LA, the Bolts iirc, the summer before I got there.

He left New Orleans after Katrina and settled at the Woodlands, where last summer's nats were. Not sure if he's coaching or just swimming...

As I recall, he has great swimming technique and coached technique well. I remember the "10x100 with 10 sec rest" test sets he developed to do interval training.

I wonder if he's out there lurking:wave:

Mark

I noticed a name in the top 10 master swimmers in my age group, 75/79 - Dick Bower is he the same Dick Bower that I knew in the old days???

geochuck
February 29th, 2008, 01:11 PM
He was a good friend of my brother Thurlow and I know they conversed and talked often about swim technique.

geochuck
October 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I just received an email from Dick he is in Woodlands Texas My first contact with him in 40 years.
He has been very involved in swimming. Swims for WMST.

Dick Bower and Jimmy Thompson my Coach set up a duel swim meet - Canada and USA it finally ended up as the CANUSA Games http://www.canusagames.com/

Glider
October 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Dick coached me in AAU at Greater Pittsburgh Swim Club from 1967 to 1970 or so. If you get a minute, tell him one of the Schremmers said hello.

Mark
I just received an email from Dick he is in Woodlands Texas My first contact with him in 40 years.
He has been very involved in swimming. Swims for WMST.

Dick Bower and My Coach set up a duel swim meet - Canada and USA it finally ended up as the CANUSA Games http://www.canusagames.com/

pcannan
September 27th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Dick -- I just stumbled onto this website and your name.
You were my coach when I was a kid on the tramp :bouncing:at the ol’ YMCA and later on the JHS swim team -- and would like you to know these many years later that you were very influential in setting the direction of this young person’s life. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I remember much of your guidance and advice (e.g., Don’t swim too long in the same place), and am grateful. I was a mere diver, and your nickname for me was “Noodles,” which had something to do with the way I normally entered the water. ANYWAY -- I hope you receive this sincere thanks. Pat Cannan

conradical
October 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
I met Dick Bower in New Orleans when I was in High School in the mid '70's... he was coaching the Tulane Green Wave, I was a Lifeguard and WSI for NORD. It was part of an orientation for a Phillips 66 sponsored swim program, to teach kids to swim. (I first met him when I was in Jr. High, tried out once for his swim club, but decided not to join.)

I started out having a lot of respect for the guy. Then I met up with him again many years later. I was in my 40's, back in the NOLA region, and had just started swimming with USMS (my first real competitive swim experience). It was at one of my earlier meets there (so one of my first meets ever really) that I caught him cheating, entering ineligible swimmers on his relay teams so his team could win the meet (they got 2nd anyway). Being the FNG I did not make a big deal about it, but I learned a lesson there. Some people will do ANYTHING to win. I don't think so highly of him anymore.

:-|

geochuck
October 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
Is it not great that we can say almost anything we want to.

I still have lots of respect fo him. You are not going to be able to change my mind.