PDA

View Full Version : Other positive affects of swimming

pwolf66
March 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
OK,

We all know about more energy, higher self esteem, killer abs, sparking teeth, etc.. But I have to say I LOVE WHAT SWIMMING HAS DONE FOR MY GOLF GAME!!!!!

What has swimming done, you ask?

Soooo glad you asked that question. Hmm, swimming has contributed the following:

1) Better balance.
2) Increased core strength
3) Increased core flexibility
4) And this is the one that has me most excited; MORE POWER!!!!!

So, I'm out for a quick 9 holes this afternoon. I've done a couple of range sessions so the swing isn't a train wreck. First hole, standard not warmed up result, hooked my tee shot, pitched out, pitched on, 2 putt. Bogey. Not bad for such a poor tee shot.

2nd hole, 400yd with a 20mph head wind, take a 5i with the expectation of a 3 shot hole. Ripped it 220. 180 to go, still with the headwind, rip a 6i to about 20 feet. 2 putt par.

3rd hole, par.

4th hole. 499 par5, wind left to right and slightly behind. Just BOMB a 3W 290. Wrong side of tree that is 160 out on right side of fairway. Try to draw a 5i around it, end up just short. Pitch to 6 feet, sink putt for birdie.

5th Hole. 450 par5, wind is now right to left and slightly against. tee up a little lower to keep ball flight down, rip another 3W 270ish. 180 to go, bomb a 6i to 20 feet, 2 putt birdie.

Other holes are played with some nice iron shots. but putting lets me down. End up +4 for 9. Really wanted to go 39 but lipped out a par putt on the 9th.

Now don't get me wrong, I know that I was getting about 10-15 yards more roll than I will in about another month but still, I am hitting the ball farther, higher and with less effort than I ever have. So thank you swimming pool, I plan on continuing our relationship for a long, long time.

Paul

The Fortress
March 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Competitive swimming was a great mid life crisis for me and seems to have helped diminish the mommy guilt phenomenon.

However, if Mr. Fort golfed more than 3-4 x a year, I would be filing for divorce and have a real mid life crisis.

geochuck
March 3rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Paul

You are hitting the ball farther, higher and with less effort than you ever have.

Are hooking more or straighter? This is where the streamline comes in.

mermaid
March 4th, 2008, 12:15 AM
golf, tennis, cycling & ballroom dancing are loads of fun - but swimming tops them all!!

dorothyrde
March 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Being 46.5 and looking pretty darn good at that age. Outside of swimmers, most middle age women do not have killer arms.

geochuck
March 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
All I know I want to go golfing with Sophie Sandolo and Natallie Gulbis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evDoiI5Hw64&feature=related

Chuck Norris
March 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
It is excellent training for my round house kick to the face.

geochuck
March 4th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Chuck you sound a lot like Fort strong, powerfull and short.

JMiller
March 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
So thank you swimming pool, I plan on continuing our relationship for a long, long time.

Ya, swimming was my first true love. We were together for a long time, and then there was the painful break-up. Those years away from her was the hardest time in my life. Love is like that you know? Although now that we're back together I reminisce about the good times, and I'm lucky enough to say that she has stayed true. Without swimming, life just wouldn't be the same.

(OKAY PEOPLE, THIS IS JUST FOR JOKES..... well sort of.)

jim clemmons
March 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hey Chuck you sound a lot like Fort strong, powerfull and short.

I was in San Diego around 1998 or '99, entering a restaurant while Chuck was exiting. I had never realized, while watching some of his movies, just how short he actually is. Not that short is a bad thing mind you, just seriously short though. Hope he doesn't come and kick my :mooning: over this.

3strokes
March 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM
All I know I want to go golfing with Sophie Sandolo and Natallie Gulbis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evDoiI5Hw64&feature=related

Ok, George. You go golfing with them but then, after the game, send them to me for a swim.

3strokes
March 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
.. But I have to say I LOVE WHAT SWIMMING HAS DONE FOR MY GOLF GAME!!!!!

One thing you forgot to mention Paul, regarding the positive effect of swimming on your Golf game.

If you can swim and not mind the noodlers and slow swimmers in the fast lane, you can definitely ignore the roar of a butterfly taking off in the next field*.

*Plagiarized from P.G.Wodehouse