PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre retirement

Chris Stevenson
March 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'm sort of surprised no one has commented on Brett Favre's retirement. Sure, the media has poured it on a bit, but here is a nice article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276537

I'll miss him, warts and all. Any fans out there?

SwimStud
March 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'm sort of surprised no one has commented on Brett Favre's retirement. Sure, the media has poured it on a bit, but here is a nice article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276537

I'll miss him, warts and all. Any fans out there?

Yeah, I like the way he played the game. I'm a Giants fan but if GB had made it to the SB I'ld have been rooting for them to win.

smontanaro
March 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Though I live in the Chicago area and my wife's family is full of Bears fans, I've always liked Brett Favre. Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Tribune had a good piece yesterday:

Morrissey on Favre (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080304-morrissey-brett-favre-retirement,1,5387824.column)

He was what Chicagoans want in their athletes. He was hard-working, fun-loving, daring, devilish, unblinking, unpredictable and opportunistic. He was as tough as a Chicago winter, which, admittedly, is a Green Bay winter with training wheels.

He looked like a kid who was playing a game in a park, and even the most cynical among us had to appreciate that, especially in a sports world in which greed and self-absorption seem to be the most prevalent attributes. If he threw a touchdown pass, the look on his face would lead the uninitiated to believe it was the first time it had happened to him.

Skip Montanaro

poolraat
March 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Morrissey on Favre (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080304-morrissey-brett-favre-retirement,1,5387824.column)

...He looked like a kid who was playing a game in a park, and even the most cynical among us had to appreciate that, especially in a sports world in which greed and self-absorption seem to be the most prevalent attributes. If he threw a touchdown pass, the look on his face would lead the uninitiated to believe it was the first time it had happened to him.
Skip Montanaro

This is what I liked the most about watching him play. The exuberance and joy he displayed after scoring was so much fun to watch, unlike the "in your face" showboating, end zone antics of some other players.

My 15 y.o. son got to go to the Packers last regular season home game and I'm sure the memories will stay with him forever.

Stillhere
March 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Brett Favre has been a joy to watch playing football in the NFL these past 17 years. He IS the most durable, toughest Iron Man to ever play the game. What heís accomplished is nothing short of Iconic in every sense of the word. During his 17 years in the NFL he has always conducted himself as a gentleman while providing real leadership both on and off the field of play.

Lastly, I have serious doubts his record of consecutive games played by an NFL Quarterback will ever be matched---and what he did is just short of impossible---Iíll miss watching him play the game as he did these past years with true grace and dignity.

Enjoy your time at the fishing hole Mr. Favra---you earned it!

mermaid
March 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I saw his press briefing on NFL network - he was crying. What a sissy! Go Raiders!

poolraat
March 6th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I saw his press briefing on NFL network - he was crying. What a sissy! Go Raiders!

At least it was real. Unlike that show T.O. put on after they got their butts whipped.

Raiders?? What pro team do you like?

Peter Cruise
March 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I think Mermaid was begging her Raiders to leave town....

Brett was a great player for sure, a champion hall of famer etc., but speaking as someone who has cheered for him over the years, I dreaded that late-in-the-game look that he got on his face, you know, the-I'm-going-to-force-this-throw-no-matter-what look that did lead to some agonizing interceptions....

mermaid
March 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM
T.O. - he's his own show, I mean team, er, ummm yea. But anyway,

What was real, the tears? or the fact that it was live?

When one considers a Pro Team, you need to consider all the aspects of that team. The fans, the cheerleaders (or lack thereof - Steelers - just how much was that QB in the window?) the players, one needs to consider the organization as a whole.

Where else do you have the BLACK HOLE????!!! Fans are required to have a two tattoo minimum to enter the Colliseum. And constumage is mandatory! How about that for dedication? What's a Packer Fan need - a foam piece of cheese???? How can you seriously equate the two?

Iwannafly
March 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Where else do you have the BLACK HOLE????!!! Fans are required to have a two tattoo minimum to enter the Colliseum. And constumage is mandatory! How about that for dedication? What's a Packer Fan need - a foam piece of cheese???? How can you seriously equate the two?

As a Charger's fan, I can honestly say that Raiders' fan are the craziest people I have ever met. I was always scared to go into the colliseum, even with no opponent garb on my body! The Raiders haven't been any good since Kenny 'the Snake' Stabler was their quarterback!

Brett Favre may not be the best quarterback ever, but he has been the most fun to watch and easiest to root for player in the NFL. And I'm even considering the late Mr. Payton in that statement. Bye Brett, we'll miss you!

Chris Stevenson
March 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
The Raiders haven't been any good since Kenny 'the Snake' Stabler was their quarterback!

Well, I have an attachment to that era too (I grew up in San Jose in the 70s) but you have an interesting definition of failure: 2X Super Bowl champs in 3 attempts in the post-Snake era.

I grant you that they've pretty much stunk it up since playing Tampa Bay for the whole enchilada...

Iwannafly
March 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well, I have an attachment to that era too (I grew up in San Jose in the 70s) but you have an interesting definition of failure: 2X Super Bowl champs in 3 attempts in the post-Snake era.

I grant you that they've pretty much stunk it up since playing Tampa Bay for the whole enchilada...

You're right, I forgot about Plunkett. And since the Chargers seem to choke in the playoffs, I shouldn't try to poke fun at the Raiders! But they're so easy to hate...

poolraat
March 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
.......Fans are required to have a two tattoo minimum to enter the Colliseum.......

Now that's something to be proud of. :thhbbb:

mermaid
March 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I don't have any (tats) so I wasn't allowed to go to the games.
just being cheeky.

Swimmer Bill
March 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Who is Brett Favre?

<jk>

Slowswim
March 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Now, maybe everyone can pronouce his name correctly: Fav- ray.

How does anyone get Far-v from FAVRE?

Swimmer Bill
March 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I remember now - he's that football player whose name I always thought might be mispronounced...

Blackbeard's Peg
March 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
my mom is distraught. she's a huge Brett Favre fan. he has been the anchor of her fantasy football team the last 6 years. what has usually been a waste of a 1st round pick, this past year proved to be a very good #2 overall choice for her.

jaegermeister
March 19th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Late to this thread. I grew up in Green Bay, have been a fan since the '60s, and saw him as salvation as many other cheeseheads did. A remarkable player and person.

It was his time to go. He probably got nudged out. Lots of pride, he'll have a very hard time watching the game, but I hope he stays retired. What a way to go out- with a fantastic season and all the records.

For us cheeseheads, we will painfully remember his last game, where he looked "so old and so cold" (quoting Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel). Very ironic game: Bart Starr in attendance, then Eli Manning out duels Favre, the Giants beat the Pack like we took it to the Giants in '62.