PDA

View Full Version : NY Gov. Should He Resign?

Stillhere
March 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Should the Gov. of NY resign?

geochuck
March 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
No, he has paid for his endulgeces in cash $4,300.00.

Why should he pay twice would it not be called double jepardy??

aquageek
March 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hell yes, what a buffoon. He got what he deserved after years of being so self righteous. He's a nimrod and this is the proof. I promise you it isn't the first time he's been with a hooker, just his first time caught.

CreamPuff
March 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Sooooooooooo glad I'm not his wife or one of this three daughters. I feel for them.

SwimStud
March 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I promise you it isn't the first time he's been with a hooker, just his first time caught.

Geek, I admire your openess and trust but not everyone here will be comfortable with you disclosing your past...

:joker:

blainesapprentice
March 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I would like to mention for the record that I did not vote for him.

He was a slimy sleazy self-righteous explicit word long before he got elected...

If his wife stands by him after this......that is the problem with America and the allure of the spotlight and filled wallet.

SwimStud
March 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
If his wife stands by him after this......that is the problem with America and the allure of the spotlight and filled wallet.

While I agree with much, this is not strictly fair Morgan it's her choice. He may be a great father and have many more plus points that this negative. We should not judge her as she has not done anything wrong.

That said I do see your point...an affair/one night stand is one thing...renting some ass for a night is IMHO a bigger insult to his wife.

Stillhere
March 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Morgan:
Filled wallet? Heck, if I were his wife I would fill my suit case--the heck with a wallet --with everything I could get my hands on after being humiliated in front of the world and for having him drag my kids through junk like this.

What sticks out in my mind is his history as the Atty. Gen. and his success in
prosecuting prostitution rings in years past--and here is a married man with three beautiful daughters and the Gov. of the great State of NY paying a prostitute for sex, all the while covering his actions through cash transactions, and evading his NY State Police guards to get his hooker to the room. Sounds to me like Eliot's fundamental judgment system is very flawed and demonstrates a high level of deceit and disregard for the laws he himself upheld while serving as the Atty. General. People in positions such as that MUST be held to the same exact standard they enforce and uphold---or---conversely it flaws the entire system.

swimmerlady
March 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Absolutely - without a doubt

blainesapprentice
March 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Morgan:
Filled wallet? Heck, if I were his wife I would fill my suit case--the heck with a wallet --with everything I could get my hands on after being humiliated in front of the world and for having him drag my kids through junk like this.

She should fill the suitcase in that case and get the hell out...I can't stand these politicians who do wrong--to their wives, children family (let alone the country/ states that they represent) and then the wives/husbands still stand by them. I understand its a different place to be in because obviously, people cheat all the time and their spouses/significant others take them back, but I feel like when its such a media exposed situation like this, showing the world that hey, I have money and power and if I cheat or screw up it doesn't matter, my family is a-okay with that, sends a bad message to the younger generations. I don't really know what could be done to avoid that though...

I mean I was raised in a conservative Catholic household so, even back when Bill Clinton cheated on Hilary I was appalled to see her stand by him...though I think a lot of people could recognize that she stayed for the power and the career enhancement points...but who knows:dunno:

This kinda thing just puts a sour taste in my mouth towards politicians.

I student teach at a preschool that is in the empire state plaza in Albany...and today it was quite a mad house with the politicians and lobbyists and the media all mad dashing to get the upper hand..

ViveBene
March 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
She should fill the suitcase in that case and get the hell out...

I student teach at a preschool that is in the empire state plaza in Albany...and today it was quite a mad house with the politicians and lobbyists and the media all mad dashing to get the upper hand..

I fully expect she will get the heck out but right now is looking for the best strategic time. In her shoes I would want maximum financial support for self and daughters. When hullabaloo calms a little but before joint assets are at risk, that's the time to make the move. (She might already have made a discreet call or two to a discreet white-shoe firm.) Latest from NYT is that his attorneys are expected (dunno who's doing the expecting here) to meet with federal prosecutors to investigate his exposure to legal charges, which might come down to trying to conceal source and purpose of payments (called structuring).

Far as I know, it wasn't she who said she was standing anywhere in his vicinity but the tabloid headlines, and her expression was priceless!

It's interesting to get a first-hand look at the chaos, Morgan! Thanks!

VB

Slowswim
March 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Yes, he should resign, but not for the hookers. That's a minor crime and a family/moral issue.

Its the illegal money wiring (across state lines is a federal offense) and a link to organized crime.

The fact that he was such a fierce and holier than thou Attorney General makes him a hypocrite to the nth degree and not worthy of trust.

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm so glad that we swimmers never do wrong.

tjburk
March 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
String him up by the :bump: :lmao:

aquageek
March 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I don't understand why all these wives go to the press conferences. My wife would be having a press conference of her own, with her divorce atty.

What's even worse is that he holds a press conference and calls it a private matter. Private my privates! He used his public salary on public business trips to pay for some private action.

Stillhere
March 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Craig:
I have made mistakes in my life. Some were not to swift either--and I paid for most of the knuckled head stuff I got myself into over the years. No one here said they were without fault--or--had done no wrong. Bill hit the nail on the head when he wrote,

"Its the illegal money wiring (across state lines is a federal offense) and a link to organized crime. The fact that he was such a fierce and holier than thou Attorney General---."

That is the nerve that struck me. He was a fierce anti crime Atty. Gen. and ran on that basis. Yet, while holding the highest elected office in NY State he violated the trust of his family and the people of NY State with his Hooker nonsense across state lines. Keep in mind those were the very people he went after like gang busters while serving as the Atty. Gen., then just a few years later he is committing the same acts he sent people to prison for.

That is the thread to the outrage we see here. Do as I say, not as I do justice. If anything Craig, he should be held to a higher standard as the keeper of the peace while elected to provide law and order and justice for the people of NY State. Wiring money across state lines for illegal activities is a serious Federal No No from what I read. My guess is the Feds are going to bust his backside for that nonsense---and rightfully so.

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
She should fill the suitcase in that case and get the hell out...I can't stand these politicians who do wrong--to their wives, children family (let alone the country/ states that they represent) and then the wives/husbands still stand by them. I understand its a different place to be in because obviously, people cheat all the time and their spouses/significant others take them back, but I feel like when its such a media exposed situation like this, showing the world that hey, I have money and power and if I cheat or screw up it doesn't matter, my family is a-okay with that, sends a bad message to the younger generations. I don't really know what could be done to avoid that though...

I mean I was raised in a conservative Catholic household so, even back when Bill Clinton cheated on Hilary I was appalled to see her stand by him...though I think a lot of people could recognize that she stayed for the power and the career enhancement points...but who knows:dunno:

This kinda thing just puts a sour taste in my mouth towards politicians.

I was raised in a very liberal Lutheran house. What puts a sour taste in my mouth is all of the money involved in politics. It is overwhelming how much goes into a campaign. There is money that is invovled that has nothing to do with the candidate, the candidate never even really sees it, knows about it, nor is told about it.

As for Sen. Clinton standing by her man, she began her long march to the Presidency a very long time ago. Both she & the gov of New York, I think, have alwaus had a true belief that they truly deserve power. Of all ofht epeole in politics I've had the great joy to be in the same room with, they are two of the worst, I believe. One thing I think is so great is how all of the Democrats are saying they they distanced themselves from him a long time ago. I've never voted for a Republican.

tjburk
March 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
My wife would have a separate press conference announcing when and where my funeral was going to be!!!!!!!:violin::violin:
Aaaarrrrrggghhh Play me durge matie!!!!!!

blainesapprentice
March 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
They're now saying he may have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $80,000 in this mess over an extended period of time.....

like i said. slimy and sleazy

ensignada
March 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Many marriages can withstand and survive infidelity - ask any preacher or counselor - as it's usually a symptom of something else that needs to be addressed. Sometimes people want and can fix it; sometimes they don't or can't. The Spitzers will have to figure that out for themselves.

I don't know how many marriages could survive an $80,000 cash outlay.:eek: That's...that's...I don't even have the words. :shakeshead:

blainesapprentice
March 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Many marriages can withstand and survive infidelity - ask any preacher or counselor - as it's usually a symptom of something else that needs to be addressed. Sometimes people want and can fix it; sometimes they don't or can't. The Spitzers will have to figure that out for themselves.

I don't know how many marriages could survive an $80,000 cash outlay.:eek: That's...that's...I don't even have the words. :shakeshead:

infidelity is one thing--as was mentioned on here earlier on, a one night stand, a fling with another person--but paying (and paying a ridiculous amount) to hire someone for one night stands? I think it's a whole different ball park...

but it really is there decision to make--well hers more than his.

SwimStud
March 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM

Just think of all the shoes or sofas that money could have bought!!

3strokes
March 11th, 2008, 08:40 PM
No, he has paid for his endulgeces in cash $4,300.00.

So, he did have a $700 coupon (or were those loyalty points?)

3strokes
March 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Nobody but her (and, maybe, Bill).
But if it walks like a duck, sounds like a ............. you know the rest.

ensignada
March 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Just think of all the shoes or sofas that money could have bought!!

Think of the travel meet dollars!

The Fortress
March 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hell yes, what a buffoon. He got what he deserved after years of being so self righteous. He's a nimrod and this is the proof. I promise you it isn't the first time he's been with a hooker, just his first time caught.

I agree. What a jerk. I'm weary of the same old routine. X gets caught, calls it a private matter, apologizes for his ill-advised conduct, promises to re-devote himself to amazing family, stolid supportive wife holding hand and "supporting" him through her pain ....

I'd drop kick him to China on national TV. $80,000 should be deducted from his share of the marital estate. Is NY an equitable distribution state? lol Next, he'll claim a sex addiction beyond his control.

ViveBene
March 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
The old song suddenly has new meaning!

Saw a screen grab from the Emperor's Club VIP site (since taken down, but screen grabs are available) showing fees for "traveling and social companion." The consorts are rated by diamonds, and a dawn-to-dawn for a seven-diamond elite companion costs $31,000. (Get more diamonds for higher degrees!)

I believe the figure of $80,000, which I have seen only in context of "may have spent," was reached by multiplying the alleged "7 or 8" episodes by some fee, maybe $10,000 per 4 or 8 hours (Kristen and hence her diamonds are not shown in the screen grabs, although Alana [who trained divers in Asia before she got her master's degree in public relations], Anais, Racquel, and other sturdy literary names put in an appearance), that perp "could have" indulged in. But I think his Feb night assignation was only one hour; he didn't "spend the night."

So the $80,000 may be hyperbole, and the actual figure may be closer to $8,000 for services (plus expenses, of course). I rather think a huge hole in the domestic budget would have been noticed by Mrs. Spitzer. Not defending him here; just pointing out a lot of subjunctives used in reporting.

Being a courtesan used to be quite acceptable.

Heist by his own petard.

I had a nice time in the pool today. Have started butterfly and am figuring out the breathing. Also, I ordered Blythe Lucero's 100 Best Swimming Drills book, which came today and looks good.

Regards all, VB

The Fortress
March 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Being a courtesan used to be quite acceptable.

Back in the days when women were accessories. We're not so Louis XIV now.

However, in those days, courtesans likely had more power and more freedom than wives. Maybe they still do than political wives ...

ViveBene
March 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hillary is incandescent with ambition; all else falls before it.

I doubt that is the case with Silda Wall, heretofore Mrs. Spitzer. And I bet she'll get even. Takes some cool to stand next to that cheatin' varmint and not bean him with a fry pan on national television.

VB

SwimStud
March 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I bet Chuck Norris never paid for it...
:laugh2:

The Fortress
March 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hillary is incandescent with ambition; all else falls before it.

I doubt that is the case with Silda Wall, heretofore Mrs. Spitzer. And I bet she'll get even. Takes some cool to stand next to that cheatin' varmint and not bean him with a fry pan on national television.

VB

Good description of Hillary, unfortunately.

I think Ms. Wall should start by consulting with every divorce lawyer in NY, thereby conflicting them out of representing the nimrod.

She did have a bit of a look of disgust on her face.

nyswimmer
March 11th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry to say I voted for the guy. I've been disappointed since the day he took office -- it's been one fiasco after another. Even without his latest mess, I want him to resign because he's an arrogant jerk and a totally ineffective governor.

ViveBene
March 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
However, in those days, courtesans likely had more power and more freedom than wives. Maybe they still do than political wives ...

I think they did, actually. Daughters and wives were put into play to secure political alliances, but courtesans, some self-selected, had a career path. (Some had it thrust upon them, of course.) I had in mind early twentieth century. The Emperor's Club harks back: education, social comportment, good blood lines (nice fillies). The Mayflower. :rofl:

Regards, VB

smontanaro
March 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Comments from Alan Dershowitz about Spitzer here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88094617

I'm not commenting one way or the other, but Dershowitz raises some interesting points.

Skip

3strokes
March 12th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I'm not commenting one way or the other, but Dershowitz raises some interesting points.

Skip

Yes, indeed.

I wonder how many of those raising their voices against Spitzer today (with accusations similar to what he used to prosecute so self-righteously) are themselves kind of crossing their fingers and hoping they don't get caught! Hypocrisy is all over the place. (It's actually a prerequisite for most politicians).

david.margrave
March 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM
crossing their fingers and hoping they don't get caught!

You put your finger on it. Two key questions:

1) who are clients 1-8?
2) what kind of dirt does Eliot have stashed away in his files from his days as a prosecutor, which may be coming in handy right about now?

Leonard Jansen
March 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
You put your finger on it. Two key questions:

1) who are clients 1-8?

How'd you like to be one of those other clients right about now? Up to this point, the Johns in postitution stings rarely got prosecuted, but if they go after Spitzer, they will have to go after these other guys as well. A couple days ago, these guys had it made to the point that they could afford $5500/hr hookers with little thought as to repercussions. Today there are some high-flyers out there who are about to get a very unwelcome spotlight put on them.

The other thing is, what on earth does a $5500/hr hooker look like and what does she do for you that is so much better than a Wall-Mart level $2000/hr hooker?

-LBJ

ViveBene
March 12th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I mostly agree with Dershowitz's comments (thanks for posting the link, Skip!) but think the court of public opinion might weigh in very strongly here. It is not (IMO) a matter of precedent instances in which leaders caught up in hanky-panky have continued to govern OK. It is THIS person in THIS situation - and if enough people want him gone sufficiently to hogtie the daily business of governing a large state, his options get slimmer. He's made a lot of nonfriends. The Assembly (if that's the correct term for NY legislative branch) could sit on its hands, vote not a single bill, allocate no funds, etc.

Still, Dershowitz for the defense is very compelling, high drama tends to liquefy after a while, one morning the placard bearers don't show up, and government business resumes its creaky path forward.

Everybody have a good day in the pool,

VB

ViveBene
March 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM

The other thing is, what on earth does a $5500/hr hooker look like and what does she do for you that is so much better than a Wall-Mart level $2000/hr hooker?

-LBJ

If you Google "Emperor's Club VIP" you'll find some screen grabs from the site showing (clothed) elite companions, as well as a rate sheet, and number of diamonds for each. The site itself has since been taken down. It is/was a classy business. She fulfills fantasies, among which is the client's fantasy that he can accept only the best. So the price point reflects client's high value of self.

VB

SwimStud
March 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM
If you Google "Emperor's Club VIP" you'll find some screen grabs from the site showing (clothed) elite companions, as well as a rate sheet, and number of diamonds for each. The site itself has since been taken down. It is/was a classy business. She fulfills fantasies, among which is the client's fantasy that he can accept only the best. So the price point reflects client's high value of self.

VB

I wonder how much Spitzer paid for the "Political Career Ruining Sex Scandal Fantasy" maybe that was the $80G???

ViveBene
March 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Going after nos. 1-8:

I'm not a lawyer, but it is not my impression that the prostitution itself interests those looking into Gov. Spitzer's activities. It is the Mann Act (crossing state lines for immoral purposes, presumably a solicitation of some sort) and "structuring," or moving money around to obscure source and purpose: the bank noticed large amounts of cash were being transferred and called in investigators. (I think the cap is still $10,000 cash before a bank gets interested -- federal law? -- and the usual expectation is involvement in the drug trade or attempt to avoid paying taxes, the latter often joined to the former.)

Gov. Spitzer might have been known as client no. 9 to club manageress, but he appears to have been no. 1 person of interest to investigators. They got authorization to wire tap, and it looks like specifically his phones. The NYT has quite a lot on the case. So we may never know who clients 1 through 8 were. Fickle fate.

Regards, VB

swimmerlady
March 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I am wondering if any of that 80,000 paid to the "consulting" firm shows up on the idiot's tax return as a business expense. It can't all be paid in cash if they are able to trace 80K spent on his "executive services."

So even if he cuts a deal with the feds on the possible Mann charges and other fraud charges, he still may have to deal with IRS.

SwimStud
March 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Going after nos. 1-8:

I'm not a lawyer, but it is not my impression that the prostitution itself interests those looking into Gov. Spitzer's activities. It is the Mann Act (crossing state lines for immoral purposes, presumably a solicitation of some sort) and "structuring," or moving money around to obscure source and purpose: the bank noticed large amounts of cash were being transferred and called in investigators. (I think the cap is still $10,000 cash before a bank gets interested -- federal law? -- and the usual expectation is involvement in the drug trade or attempt to avoid paying taxes, the latter often joined to the former.)

Gov. Spitzer might have been known as client no. 9 to club manageress, but he appears to have been no. 1 person of interest to investigators. They got authorization to wire tap, and it looks like specifically his phones. The NYT has quite a lot on the case. So we may never know who clients 1 through 8 were. Fickle fate.

Regards, VB

Moving money around improperly always involves the risk of laundering criminal funds, or even worse terrorist funds.

One of the hot compliance issues now in financial dealings is money laundering or even suspicion of it, because of these links.

So yes it's the issue that will get him into trouble, which from a guy who went after Wall St for alledged dubious financial practices it really is sickening.

Leonard Jansen
March 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM

VB

Hmmmm..... I had a look and I'm trying to wrap my brain around this. More than anything, it just strikes a certain chord of sadness in me, I guess. Just a tawdry fantasy wrapped up in shiny paper. It's similar to the feeling I get when I watch those "reality" shows where you meet your (possible) future spouse: "How did you and mom get together, dad?" "Oh, I won her on a TV show."

Oh course, even more disturbing is that not one of the girls had a listed PR for any swimming distance.

-LBJ

The Fortress
March 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I mostly agree with Dershowitz's comments (thanks for posting the link, Skip!) but think the court of public opinion might weigh in very strongly here. It is not (IMO) a matter of precedent instances in which leaders caught up in hanky-panky have continued to govern OK. It is THIS person in THIS situation - and if enough people want him gone sufficiently to hogtie the daily business of governing a large state, his options get slimmer. He's made a lot of nonfriends. The Assembly (if that's the correct term for NY legislative branch) could sit on its hands, vote not a single bill, allocate no funds, etc.

Still, Dershowitz for the defense is very compelling, high drama tends to liquefy after a while, one morning the placard bearers don't show up, and government business resumes its creaky path forward.

Everybody have a good day in the pool,

VB

Very interesting.

But who says Spitzer can't be judged on his private sexual conduct? Perhaps it would have been ignored 50 years ago, but that doesn't mean voters have to ignore it now. In fact, some voters pillory Hillary (haha) for ignoring hubby's sexual escapades. The standards for judging public figures have simply morphed over time.

I found Dershowitz's statement about Spitzer's hypocrisy being "overstated" interesting: "in the "minds of most people prostitution isn't a crime." Is this true? If so, I guess Spitzer wasn't one of those people since he was prosecuting others for the crime. Rather ironic, Spitzer's potential defender sees no crime, while Spitzer's career was dedicated to eradicating that very crime ...

SwimStud
March 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I found Dershowitz's statement about Spitzer's hypocrisy being "overstated" interesting: "in the "minds of most people prostitution isn't a crime." Is this true?

I guess folks are a little ambivalent to sex industry activities unless it's on their doorstep and an issue they have to contend with. The issue is that Spitzer went to great lengths for his jollies and broke some serious laws.
This isn't quite the same as shelling out $50 for some "interesting conversation" in your car.

aquageek
March 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
For those of us in an industry that Spitzer took on, the news of him being a scumbag really is nothing new, the fact that he got caught is wonderful. He is a self promoting hypocrite.

I don't know his financial background but he has been in gov't for a while and those guys don't make a ton of money. $80K is a pretty good chunk of change on a civil servant salary.

I do believe it was a mistake for his wife to go to that conference, but the look on her face was pretty much worth the price of admission.

There's nothing defensible about his actions on any level - religious, job, moral, etc. He needs to go.

The Fortress
March 12th, 2008, 09:32 AM
The issue is that Spitzer went to great lengths for his jollies and broke some serious laws. This isn't quite the same as shelling out $50 for some "interesting conversation" in your car.

Well, that's what differentiates Spitzer from some of the politicians listed by Dershowitz.

It is quite fabulous to see hypocrits outed. Especially those who view women as "packages."

ViveBene
March 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I am wondering if any of that 80,000 paid to the "consulting" firm shows up on the idiot's tax return as a business expense. It can't all be paid in cash if they are able to trace 80K spent on his "executive services."

So even if he cuts a deal with the feds on the possible Mann charges and other fraud charges, he still may have to deal with IRS.

Hi - The $80 is just extrapolation on the part of tabloids; yes, you will see "He spent $80,000!" screamed in the headlines, but inside it reads "he could have spent as much as $80,000." $80,000, I've noticed, is the figure that sets the person in the street into a blind fury. Embezzle millions? Yawn. But $80,000!!! That's within our scope, we'd like to make an annual salary of $80,000, we can understand what it would do to our household budget, and so on. I call it the low-hanging ceiling effect. But there is no proof forthcoming that Spitzer spent $80,000 on the charming Miss Kristen. Maybe there will be. Maybe it was $22,000. But right now nobody knows except Spitzer. And he could easily have reported all his income correctly and taken no deductions for bon-bons. He tried to buy himself secrecy for trysts and did one really stupid thing: moving large amounts of cash.

Bank saw amounts of cash being moved around, called in feds, who wire-tapped, saw where $$ was going.

Yes, Spitzer can be judged on his conduct, sexual or otherwise, and Dershkowitz pointed out that would be something for voters to address at next election (how else?).* He can be judged on the color of his eyes. He can be judged on the totality of his character. But I don't think anyone knows what his legal exposure is. If he makes an adequate accounting of the cash, the Mann Act charges, if any, could be dropped. All very interesting.

*How else: if the legislature decides not to work with him. Impeachment has been raised; I haven't read the possible grounds.
*Or a no-confidence vote, as happened in California!

Regards, VB

imspoiled
March 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
For those of us in an industry that Spitzer took on, the news of him being a scumbag really is nothing new, the fact that he got caught is wonderful. He is a self promoting hypocrite.

I don't know his financial background but he has been in gov't for a while and those guys don't make a ton of money. $80K is a pretty good chunk of change on a civil servant salary.

I do believe it was a mistake for his wife to go to that conference, but the look on her face was pretty much worth the price of admission.

There's nothing defensible about his actions on any level - religious, job, moral, etc. He needs to go.

CNBC has been reporting little tidbits on this to death. One that came up yesterday is that Spitzer is from a VERY wealthy family (I want to say one of the wealthiest in NY). His rental income alone last year was roughly $1.4 million. Really, I don't think cost is an issue here.

As for Mrs. S., standing by her man in a time of crisis should set her up as a martyr for the divorce courts, no? I would think putting on the good show would go a long way to winning a very favorable financial settlement.

Look at Dina Matos (formerly MacGreevy), former wife of the NJ gov. She stood by him during the "crisis" and is now crucifying him.

smontanaro
March 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I found Dershowitz's statement about Spitzer's hypocrisy being "overstated" interesting: "in the "minds of most people prostitution isn't a crime." Is this true?

Probably is if you were to ask Emma Thompson:

Slavery In Our Times (http://www.newsweek.com/id/120054)

Skip

The Fortress
March 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM
As for Mrs. S., standing by her man in a time of crisis should set her up as a martyr for the divorce courts, no? I would think putting on the good show would go a long way to winning a very favorable financial settlement.

Look at Dina Matos (formerly MacGreevy), former wife of the NJ gov. She stood by him during the "crisis" and is now crucifying him.

I don't understand the "standing up for your man" in this situation at all. You then become the hypocrite and are reduced to attempting to spin your own public image for a payoff. Ick.

Look, I see that NY, unlike most, is not a no fault state. So divorce can be based on adultery or cruel and inhuman treatment. If it is, those factors effect the equitable distribution of assets. So she doesn't have to martyr herself to do well in a property settlement (although inheritances are not deemed to be marital property). Whether that will make her look better in the eyes of the court, who knows? But, if it was me, I wouldn't care. And maybe she'll look better and more principled for denouncing him. That way, she's not seen as telling her children that his behavior is somehow tolerable.

aquageek
March 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Yes, Spitzer can be judged on his conduct, sexual or otherwise, and Dershkowitz pointed out that would be something for voters to address at next election (how else?).* He can be judged on the color of his eyes. He can be judged on the totality of his character. But I don't think anyone knows what his legal exposure is. If he makes an adequate accounting of the cash, the Mann Act charges, if any, could be dropped. All very interesting.

Quite a few people know his legal exposure, it's not rocket science. All your excuses really don't change the facts one bit, he paid for sex while on government business.

ViveBene
March 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Quite a few people know his legal exposure, it's not rocket science. All your excuses really don't change the facts one bit, he paid for sex while on government business.

Sorry, I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm trying to get some clarity.
Regards, VB

swimmerlady
March 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
And he could easily have reported all his income correctly and taken no deductions for bon-bons. He tried to buy himself secrecy for trysts and did one really stupid thing: moving large amounts of cash.

Bank saw amounts of cash being moved around, called in feds, who wire-tapped, saw where $$ was going.

His crucial mistake that led to him getting caught was WIRING the 10,000 to the QAL Consulting. The bank teller told him a report would have to be filed, so he broke it up in smaller chunks. He asked to have his name removed from the wire, but it was too late. The teller filed the suspicious report anyway. After that, he started withdrawing and mailing cash........... had he done that in the first place he may have drawn suspicion, but not have left the paper trail to the escort service. The feds might still be trying to figure out what was going on. They thought he was being blackmailed.

As a former tax auditor, I am just guessing that he didn't tell his accountant "no don't deduct the expenses to QAL consulting - that is really for my ho!" If I were doing his books and saw a consulting expense -that looked like a legitimate business expense that is where it generally goes. That was the point of the consulting front. They have to get this stuff past their accountants too.

If I was an auditor assigned to his case, I'd be checking each and every "consulting" expense...... from my past experiences, once you take that lid off the can of worms, things just keep coming out.......

And for the sake of his children and family hopefully that won't happen.

geochuck
March 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Could anyone tell me how many govenors and senators would there be left if all the cheaters resign.

When I was a in the 50s cop the going rate was $2.00 for the pro and $5.00 for the room. So the John just had to use pocket change.

aquageek
March 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
... that is really for my ho!"

Damn, that's funny!

I can only imagine the offers from Playboy, etc, that this ho is getting.

ViveBene
March 12th, 2008, 11:28 AM
His crucial mistake that led to him getting caught was WIRING the 10,000 to the QAL Consulting. The bank teller told him a report would have to be filed, so he broke it up in smaller chunks. He asked to have his name removed from the wire, but it was too late. The teller filed the suspicious report anyway. After that, he started withdrawing and mailing cash...........

Thanks; missed the attempt to wire $10,000.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Regards, VB

geochuck
March 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Here today and gone tomorrow. NY to have a new govenor.

He will actually be gone March the 17th.

blainesapprentice
March 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
He's resigning...I actually am interested to see how Lt. Gov. David Paterson will step up to the plate...once the media gets done with their ranting and raving about us having our first black governor and the first blind governor too...just let the man get to business...he's got his work set out for him coming in after spitzer and the mess he's created...prostitution or not.

aquageek
March 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
And, his wife was there again today for the resignation. Who is giving her advice? Apparently he has been up to his whoring ways for a long time.

ALM
March 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
And the jokes have begun...

From http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/ap_en_tv/spitzer_comics;_ylt=AjuPe3NAdt0_I0Kuo6bjU6Cs0NUE

....New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer became the butt of jokes faster than, well, faster than it would take a prostitute to ride Amtrak from New York to Washington.

'I sat next to the guy three times and I didn't pick up on any of this," said Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert, "and I usually have excellent whore-dar."

.....Spitzer, accused of being the prostitution ring's so-called Client 9, was Topic 1 again with late-night comics Tuesday. "Not surprisingly, clients 1 through 8 were Charlie Sheen," NBC's "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien cracked.

.....Across the country, Jay Leno of NBC's "The Tonight Show" peppered Spitzer with seven jokes. "The real ironic thing about this case?" he said. "Today the hooker said that Spitzer was done in a New York minute."

Politics is the only profession where the wife of a man caught with a prostitute has to stand by his side, Leno said.

"If this guy was a plumber ... he would have his wife's SUV tire tracks over his head," he said.

.....For the second day in a row, Spitzer was the topic of Letterman's top-10 list. This time, it was "messages left on Eliot Spitzer's answering machine."

No. 1: "It's Arnold Schwarzenegger. Thanks. I'm no longer America's creepiest governor."

Stillhere
March 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
You can bet that Eliot is going to understand the term, “withheld affection” intimately well for the next few months-----er---years---

Leonard Jansen
March 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
The wealthiest man in England named in the case:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/03/12/2008-03-12_richest_man_in_england_also_a_regular_of.html

-LBJ

CreamPuff
March 13th, 2008, 09:17 AM
The wealthiest man in England named in the case:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/03/12/2008-03-12_richest_man_in_england_also_a_regular_of.html

-LBJ

Not exactly a "looker" himself.

SwimStud
March 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Yah but you underestimate the power of the accent...
:lmao:

The Fortress
March 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Uh, that wouldn't work for me here. Big, fat, dull, old, rich guy who thinks he owns the world and deserves women half his age. Blech. Excess wealth is just really not a good thing.

In the Post today, there was (of course) an article on Spitzer noting that extremely extroverted, socially dominant people tend to be linked to infidelity. Politicians fit this mode. I hope his apparently "extremely smart, Harvard educated" wife dumps him soon.

ViveBene
March 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
On North Fork Bank, QAT Consulting, shell companies, and how investigators became interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/nyregion/13legal.html

NYT also has a sympathetic article about Silda Wall Spitzer, noting her ambivalence about husband's political career from the start. Makes one (me) think her "standing by her man" was a positive choice, standing up for something she believed in most strongly, although exactly what it was may be hard to discern.

VB

SwimStud
March 13th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I hope his apparently "extremely smart, Harvard educated" wife dumps him soon.

I got $10 says she did a semester at LSE!

LizGoldsmith
March 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Absolutely!

He has always seemed to have two standards -- one for everyone else and the other for himself.

There's a reason why people cheered when this scandal was announced.

Slowswim
March 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I am confused by the selective outrage of the press and public. Bill Clinton does an intern, lies about it, perjures himself, gets her to perjure herself in his rape trial and it's just sex.

A legislator widdles his foot under a mens room stall and he arrested to asking for gay sex. He's forced to resign.

Hilary is supposedly having an ongoing gay sex affair with her aide and its not even news.

If a guy goes to a bar and buys a girl a few drinks and "go to his place"; that's okay. If he hands her the money instead of buying the drinks, its illegal. The only difference I see is taxes were collected on the drinks therefore okay, but if the taxes aren't paid, its illegal.

3strokes
March 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
You can bet that Eliot is going to understand the term, “withheld affection” intimately well for the next few months-----er---years---

Not necessarily; he just might end up being where he can't say, "No, not tonight Dear."

3strokes
March 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
..... or of the Euro....................

3Smokes
March 14th, 2008, 03:02 AM
[quote=The Fortress;125708] Excess wealth is just really not a good thing.

Interesting point of view. From personal experience?

Client 10
March 14th, 2008, 03:19 AM
His wife is only mad because he spent money on the ugly one.

geochuck
March 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Client 10 and 3smokes your bad habits will catch up to you both.

I may not be able to protect you.

I do not want to be caught as a good apple in a bushel of bad apples and have the bad apples all turn good, or is it a bad apple in a bushell of good apples turn all the apples bad?

GGS5T
March 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM

I admit, not his best picture.

He has an estimated fortune of $14 billion, derived largely from property in central London, where he owns approximately 300 acres of the most exclusive commercial and residential property in Mayfair and Belgravia, including the land on which the U.S. Embassy stands, in Grosvenor Square.

Now with $14 billion in his back pocket I would guess there ain't many women around who would kick him out of bed.

geochuck
March 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
In 1963 a very rich woman offered me $3,500 to be with her for an hour.

I did not have relations of any type with her.

Stillhere
March 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM
George:
Yea, but---did you inhale?:rofl:

geochuck
March 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
George:
Yea, but---did you inhale?:rofl:

Even better I have never even taken a puff. The last smoke I had was when I was 10.5 years old, never ever tried the funny stuff when I was young.

Stillhere
March 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
George:
It was a poke at Bill's assertion that, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman---ML" and his statement that, "Yes, I took a puff of a joint, but I did not inhale."
I was just having some fun with you---and did not mean to imply you had smoked the whacky tobackie---

geochuck
March 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I took it as you ment it.

My post was just to let you know that I was a good kid after I quit smoking at 10.5 years of age???

orca1946
March 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Maybe he should have shoped at Victorias secret for his wife to the tune of $ 4000!

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
It truly bothers me that there are a lot of prositutes in DC. He probably could have gone intothe lobby of the Hay Adamns and found several who were more expensive than this woman. also, this morning I heard that he may have used tax payers money to pay for her and that frequently he used her while on government paid trips.

I will say though that I'm not too sure that I believe prositution is always bad. I went to college with boht a guy & a girl who paid for the expensive college we went to by doing tricks on the week ends. they worked for a pimp out of Chicago. He flew them all over the midwest. They got done with ollege with no student loans and their parents didnt pay a penny. I worked for the Illinois Dept of Mental Health at a state facility. I had student loans and my parents paid soem also.

Sabretooth Tiger
March 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
A legislator widdles his foot under a mens room stall and he arrested to asking for gay sex. He's forced to resign.

Hilary is supposedly having an ongoing gay sex affair with her aide and its not even news.

What Senator Craig did was against the law, and he did not, in fact, resign.

Notwithstanding the question of whether your assertion re Clinton is true, what is illegal about it? How does it relate to perjury or unlawful solicitation?

Stillhere
March 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Craig:
I wonder if their pimp's will pay for their HIV drugs in the event they contract that junk with busted condoms and such---or help them with their lack of self esteem for selling their bodies to Jane's and John's with families at home waiting for them to come home from "work"---

When I worked my way through college I didn't have to worry about getting killed, robbed, shot, stabbed, mugged, beat up, jailed or infected with VD---

Leonard Jansen
March 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM
It truly bothers me that there are a lot of prositutes in DC.

No one to blame but ourselves - we elected them.

-LBJ

SwimStud
March 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
No one to blame but ourselves - we elected them.

-LBJ

ain't that the truth...

It's just that one type takes you money and at least leaves you smiling!