PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Belize or Turks & Caicos?

The Fortress
March 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM
The minute the school year ends and I've competed in the IGLA Games, I want to go on vacation! Way way overdue. Thinking of Belize or the Turks & Caicos for snorkeling and diving. Anyone been there? Any hotel recommendations?

Seagurl51
March 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
The minute the school year ends and I've competed in the IGLA Games, I want to go on vacation! Way way overdue. Thinking of Belize or the Turks & Caicos for snorkeling and diving. Anyone been there? Any hotel recommendations?

I've never been personally but my boyfriend went to Belize not to long ago and he says it was one of his favourite places that he's been. Plus, warm + sun + beach; you know it can't be bad!!!

I'm also available for babysitting whilst on this trip...you know, just in case you want a take along nanny. ;)

kristilynn
March 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm so envious that you are planning a trip. I am sooo craving a beach and sunshine right now! Never been to either of the places your looking at, but I've never been to a Caribbean destination that I didn't like. My trip to Bonaire last Nov. was amazing -- great diving.

Ripple
March 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I've been to Belize twice. The first time it was as part of a tour so we stayed all over, at Jaguar Paw Jungle Resort, Windy Hill in San Ignacio, Sunbreeze Hotel in Ambergris Caye, and the Radison Fort George in Belize City. Jaguar Paw was a little pricy but offered cave tubing, zip line tours and guided rain forest hikes. Windy Hill had great food, but was a little noisy, being near the main highway to Guatemala. It's far in land, but access was good for many of the Mayan sites such as Caracol, Cahal Peche and Xunantunich. The Sunbreeze was a nice hotel, but we were a little disappointed at the amount of garbage on the beach at Ambergris Caye. There were a lot of dive and snorkeling boats going out to Shark Ray alley all the time. The Radisson Fort George is just a big city hotel.
The second time we stayed at Jaguar Reef resort near Hopkins Village. It's a bit out in the middle of nowhere, but there were tours leaving every day for things, like a hike in Cockscomb Basin Jaguar preserve, or various Mayan sites. The snorkeling day trip to Glovers Reef was the highlight of the trip for me. I didn't know water could come in such shades of turquoise and cobalt, and on the way back the guide slowed the boat down so that a pod of dolphins could accompany us for a while. While eating lunch back at the resort another day, we saw manatees surfacing just offshore.
I got in a few good swims while I was there. Hardly any boat traffic, but a few times I felt some mysterious creature bumping my legs and sped up to try to leave it behind.
I love Belize and will definitely go again. Take binoculars, the whole country is "bird watching for lazy people". Seeing wild parrots, toucans, and all sorts of brightly coloured little tropical things really is a treat when it's -30c at home.

blainesapprentice
March 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM
My cousin has a house in Belize...but we've never been able to visit because all the tour books we've bought say bad things about the country--so keep up the praise and maybe I can convince my dad!

nyswimmer
March 13th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Never been to Belize, but I've been to the Club Med on Turks & Caicos many, many times. It's where I learned Scuba.

T&C has a bunch of great reefs and very clear water, so the diving and snorkeling is great. It has also the best beaches I've ever been to (lots of smooth, soft sand and the ocean's the perfect temperature, without a lot of waves, for swimming).

As far as hotels, I suppose you can tell I like the Club Med. It's very sports oriented -- probably the most sports oriented of all of CM's locations -- and it has a 25 meter pool suitable for lap swimming. It's also the least expensive of CM's locations in the "American zone" (but all the rooms are air-conditioned, with cable TV, so you're not exactly roughing it). :groovy:

The Fortress
March 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Both islands sound fabulous. Jaguar Reef and Jaguar Paw in Belize sound amazing. I was advised that, if we went to Belize, we should spend half the time in the jungle at Jaguar Paw and half the time in the Placencia beach area, which has the best beaches in Belize. However, Grandma Fort has offered to watch the kids, so I think, if possible, I'd like to park myself on Grace Bay Beach in the Turks & Caicos and do nothing but swim, dive, snorkel, eat drink. :wine:

Gdavis
March 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM
If you look at Belize again and want to dive you might want to look at
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g672818-d531380-Reviews-St_George_s_Caye_Lodge-St_George_s_Caye_Belize_Cayes.html
http://www.gooddiving.com/
I stayed a while ago - it was great, small dive groups, all nitrox diving, nice surroundings, beautiful dive locations away from the crowds. It has changed ownership but seems to be just as nice if not better now.
PS If you take Seagurl51 along maybe it will help with her swimming "blues". Sunshine therapy works for me!

Seagurl51
March 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
PS If you take Seagurl51 along maybe it will help with her swimming "blues". Sunshine therapy works for me!

That's like the best idea ever!!!