PDA

View Full Version : I think I've lost that loving feeling.....

Seagurl51
March 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM
It seems like one of those things that you should be able to just get up and do but lately swimming is easier said than done. I've been out of the water since about May due to several factors. I've only been swimming about 3 times in the past 2 months, and I just can't seem to find the motivationto start going regularly again. I don't have any meets to train for and love of the game doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. I feel kind of whiny for even bringing this up, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

How do you motivate yourself when nothing seems to be working? What about overcoming the out of shape blues? :help:

Thanks. :)

USMSarah
March 12th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I start another sport of some sort... I always find myself wanting to get back into the pool after a while.

:agree:

3strokes
March 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It seems like one of those things that you should be able to just get up and do but lately swimming is easier said than done. I've been out of the water since about May due to several factors. I've only been swimming about 3 times in the past 2 months, and I just can't seem to find the motivationto start going regularly again. I don't have any meets to train for and love of the game doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. I feel kind of whiny for even bringing this up, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

How do you motivate yourself when nothing seems to be working? What about overcoming the out of shape blues? :help:

I know 'zaktlee how you feel. After my slipped disk last October and just getting back in the pool in January, I find that Sat/Sun swims are OK because they are from 1130 to 1330
However, I take pain medication (among others) and sleep so badly that I wake up in the mornings (when I would have been swimming Tues/Weds/Thus from 0800-0900) and just don't feel like moving. I do have to go to work but when it's -15 C outside with a windchill of -30 C, the idea of getting out of the car twice (pool and then work) and out of a warm building twice (home and pool) just seems so much. Of course, during the day I berate myself because I know I would have enjoyed my swim. I still can make it to the gym two/three times a week after work (and after the swims on the weekends) but it's those morning blahs (and I was always a morning person.) Stress on "was".

If you ever find the trigger to get moving in the morning (and mind you, I've just moved into the 65-89 group this year) please let me know.

Good Luck

smontanaro
March 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Go The Distance (http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance)

Skip

goggles
March 13th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Sometimes you just get pi**ed off and can't be bothered. I'm supposed to do flexibility exercises every morning, but for the last 3 months or so just can't drag myself out of bed to do them..... As a result I'm stiff, sore and sleep badly, I know I have to bite the bullet and just do it, but even when I lie awake all night, every morning it's "I can't do it today"

Okay, moan over!
:dunno:

SwimStud
March 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Maybe take the pressure off of performance and time and go for 30 minute ez swims a couple times a week. If you want to skip then do...

ande
March 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM
start showing up for practice whether you feel like it or not

find goals to passionately pursue

stop whining and start winning

How do you motivate yourself when nothing seems to be working?
What about overcoming the out of shape blues? :help:

goggles
March 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
"stop whining and start winning"

I like it

jim thornton
March 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
You sound like you've gone stale on swimming. I sometimes wonder that if in our various respective brain chemistries, there are some who are self-goaded into regular exercise because of either the relief it brings from mental doldrums or the occasional endorphin-esque high it can trigger. Those lucky enough to have genes for this are reinforced to continue exercising--and punished when they stop. All by the brain's inscrutable apothecary...

I have been lucky in that I have managed to keep swimming, in good times and bad, pretty consistently since 1984. In the springs, especially after working really hard during the winter months, I look forward to adding some tennis to my weekly exercise, but I usually continue swimming--albeit cut back the yards and intensity a bit.

I have gotten into other kinds of ruts, however, where the self-nagging to resume Activity X gradually grows into such self-disgust at my own indolence that I eventually start Activity X over again just to silence the inner voice.

There is usually a gap between resumption of an activity and the re-establishment of habit, where continuing to do the activity starts to take on autopilot characteristics.

All this is no doubt a long-winded way of agreeing, for the most part, with Ande. Set a date for yourself, then force yourself to resume swimming on a regular schedule, if possible with teammates who are doing the same thing and can reinforce your drive. Then prepare to have to force yourself to continue to go until you're back in the swimming habit again. I have seen one estimate someplace that suggests you have to do something around 28 times before it becomes a habit. So, assuming you swim 3 x a week, and start next Monday, I predict you will be happily habitualized sometime around May 19th!

One other suggestion: don't tell yourself you have to do x number of yards, or swim for y number of minutes. Just begin by going, getting in the pool, doing some laps, and then going home or wherever you tend to go after practice. But DO GO TO PRACTICE!!!! This is the one thing you can't let your brain's weasel lobe (we all have one!) wriggle you out of.

jim clemmons
March 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
How do you motivate yourself when nothing seems to be working?

Goals, goals, goals. And patience.

Seagurl51
March 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips. I was figuring I would just have to force myself until I started liking it enough to really want to go again.

I like the setting a date and sticking too it. I'm gonna try that. Maybe I'll start out going once or twice a week and adding in some other activities to help get me back in shape.

waves101
March 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Find a swimming friend to train with. I can't tell you how many times I'd skip practice if I didn't have my support system of friends relying on me to show up.

ViveBene
March 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Borrowing Jim Thornton's words: "the brain's inscrutable apothecary" plus "self-disgust" are the drivers (for me). Enablers are having a plan of some sort ("this week I will swim 3500 one day," which for me is a lot all at once in a pool); having interesting stuff to do, if you are on your own (see the online workouts on this site); having a swim buddy, or even swimming at a time when you know another regular is usually there; getting a coach, if only for a short while; finding a way to integrate swimming more beautifully and holistically into one's life (i.e., have a long-term plan or goal, so it is not random).

"Go the Distance" seems to be a good tool to get out there and in the water.

Good luck!

VB

smontanaro
March 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
B"Go the Distance" seems to be a good tool to get out there and in the water.

It's kept me going to the pool when I would have otherwise skipped a practice or a week or a month...

Skip

3strokes
March 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
start showing up for practice whether you feel like it or not

It's the showing up that's hard. Once there, no problem.

find goals to passionately pursue

Unfortunately, she's married.

Redbird Alum
March 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM
How do you motivate yourself when nothing seems to be working? What about overcoming the out of shape blues?

SeaGurl -

Being out of shape (i.e. not doing something regularly) is part of why you have the "blues" in the first place. Physical activity has alot to do with the emotional state one finds oneself in. Not doing something is a slippery slope once you start down it!

Try to think about how the practice helps pump you up for the day... heck, once you've survived a set or two, what can they throw at you during the day you can't beat?

The Fortress
March 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately, she's married.

Kyra?! She's a single college girl!

I subscribe to the apothecary view of exercising. I notice an endorphin rush about an hour after exercise, especially from running. A day without exercise is like punishment. I hate tapering.

However, I wasn't nearly as much like this in college. Are your only masters practices at the crack of dawn like last year? This seems really hard for college students. Plus, you're probably still suffering from getting way out of the routine with all that galivanting around England. It might take awhile to return to your old regimen. Nothing to do but force yourself to go to practice and not listen to the lazy voices inside your head. Ignore them and move toward the pool. The hardest thing is getting there. Also, plan a meet in the future, as Jim suggests. That will give you some additional motivation. I'm sure you have plenty of self-disgust from not attending Nats in Austin!

Swimmer Bill
March 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have a couple suggestions to offer (based on past experience and also what I'm planning to do this year). The first time you go to the pool, leave the paddles and pull buoy behind and make it a play date. Go to a pool that has water slides or other recreational features, or plan an activity that involves play rather than a workout. Making it a fun experience is a good way to reacquaint yourself with the water and renew your love for swimming. As you start to get in to the routine of visiting the pool, start doing some regular workouts, but reward yourself with an occasional play date. Keep it fresh by reading about swimming, trying new things, and planning to participate in an event. Start with a local event, and work your way toward a travel event for additional incentive. If that's not enough, think about how you'd like to look at your next big high school or college reunion.

My 25th high school reunion is in June, 2009. Time to hit the water slides!

:bolt:

Karen Duggan
March 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM
It sounds like you know you're going to get back into it eventually.

I know that when I've felt like you do now, and when I did eventually make it back, I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I thought about all the time I had lost, "If I had been swimming all that time, I would be doing..." Plus, there's always that awesome feeling after a practice. That's what keeps me going back.

Even without meets to train for, you might want to think of practice as keeping a functioning baseline for fitness, so that when you do get back into it you won't have as far to go :]

And really, there's nothing wrong with sitting out for awhile, but if you choose to, don't beat yourself up over it.

aquaFeisty
March 14th, 2008, 02:43 PM
And really, there's nothing wrong with sitting out for awhile, but if you choose to, don't beat yourself up over it.

Ah, this advice I like! Take some time off if you need to... in Master's Swimming there's always next year! :)

However, if you really do want to get back in the pool, consider these facts:
1. LCM Nats are in Oregon this year. That's (relatively) close to your hometown, depending on where you live this summer, and would be a nice goal to focus on.
2. One of the easiest age groups is 18-24 at LCM Nats.

As for getting over the out-of-shape blues, my trick was streamlining. I was burned out on masters swimming after spring 03, so I took off the 03-04 season and then when I planned on going back for the 04-05 season, I was pregnant. Since I didn't think going from a slug to an athlete was a wise move while pregnant (truly, I was a SLUG) I took off until the 05-06 season. So 2 years off. When I got back in, I could barely make 300 yards. So I figured, ok I suck so I will work on something that doesn't require being in shape. Aha! Streamlining. So every turn I worked on a perfect streamline with 2 dolphins. It didn't matter how fast I went or how much yardage I did... the practice counted as a success if I did a streamline on each and every turn. And after enough 'streamlining' practices, eventually I could do a lot more than 300 again.

So maybe pick a skill like that. It doesn't have to be streamlining... it could be perfect flipturns or snapping your feet on every breast kick or doing a 6-beat free kick or swimming 1 length of perfect butterfly per practice or or or... anything that helps you get over the icky "I suck, I used to be able to do xxx yards no problem on yyy interval" hump.

Good luck!

3strokes
March 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Kyra?! She's a single college girl!

I wasn't talking about Kyra.
Ande said to find a goal one can "passionately" pursue. I do have that (goal), but if I pursue her (in any way), I could get arrested (or, in the US, shot).

geochuck
March 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Better get passionate about something. I am off thread with this video??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MEO4xRnrT0

BillS
March 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
A few suggestions:

1. Volunteer to work at a meet. I help set up and have timed at the occasional kids meet, and find it inspires me to swim each time I do.

2. Offer to babysit a friend's child so friend can swim. Have her video you as payback.

3. Offer to help a friend who is learning or trying to improve with his or her technique. Video each other and critique what you see.

4. Watch some of the workout videos and event coverage at floswimming.com. Great stuff.

5. Try something new. I'm messing around with straight arm recovery freestyle right now. Will it work? I don't know, but it's fun trying something different.

orca1946
March 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Remember when you were a kid??? Go into the water thinking as a kid, not as a training session, NO clock or planned workout, just go swim & feel the water!

geochuck
March 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I don't ever remember that, workouts from age 5.