PDA

View Full Version : SC Nationals entry surcharge increases after March 20

matysekj
March 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
For the procrastinators out there, be aware that the 2008 Short Course Nationals entry surcharge increases from $40 to $50 after March 20. That's next Thursday. The rate will increase after midnight on Thursday (CDT). If you'd like to save $10, please enter before then. The final online entry deadline for the meet (at the higher rate) is April 3.

You can enter online at https://www.usms.org/comp/scnats08/onlineentry.php. If you haven't renewed your membership yet, you can do that online first at http://registration.usms.org/.

some_girl
March 13th, 2008, 06:49 PM
That's kinda lame for people who are waiting to get times...

some_girl
March 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
And yet not quite as lame as hiding behind an alias to make pointless insults. Wonderful that there's a continuum.

mbmg3282
March 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
The goal is to help the meet host put on a better event for the meet participants. When we all wait to the last minute (clearly admitting I procrastinate on my entry), the host typically doesn't do as good of a planning job as they would if they knew the participant number earlier.

This still allows you to enter later, but provides an incentive to enter earlier if you are ready to do so.

some_girl
March 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
From my perspective equal incentive would be dropping the price for registering early or allowing people to register in two steps. I don't think anyone is afraid that no one is showing up to Nationals in Austin: the hotels are already booked solid.

I mean, yes, ten dollars is hardly a gigantic increase, but when you are waiting for another meet to take place, it kinda sucks to feel stuck and hardly gives you warm feelings for your hosts. While I'm sure it won't change anything this time around, it would be nice if other, less punitive seeming, forms of encourgement were used in the future.

Sandi Rousseau
March 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Your point is understood as we are all in that position. The USMS Championship Committee is very interested in your input and ideas as to how better to accomplish what we are trying to acccomplish .... to get people to enter a bit earlier and not so close to the last week. So if you have other/better suggestions, please put them forth.

LindsayNB
March 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Some_girl's suggestion for a two stage registration, step one being to pay to reserve your spot, step two being to set your events at some point before the deadline, would seem to suit everyone's aims. With the online entry system it shouldn't be too hard to implement. An alternate way to accomplish the same thing would be to allow everyone to change their events up to the deadline. A lot of swimmers know they are going, even have flights and rooms booked, but delay registering because they are unsure of what events they want to swim or will qualify for or what seed time they should use.

Just thinking out loud based on my experience with both running and entering meets.

pwolf66
March 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Lindsey brings up a good point. I registered a month ago just to get it done but what I failed to take into consideration by doing that is the potential for drops in my best times. Case in point, I registered for 100 Free at 56.89 as that was my best time in 100 SCY or even coverted from SCM. Well, it seems that I have made a recent break thru as I just today swam a 59.94 SCM which converts to 53.71 SCY. So now, because I registered early, I'm potentially stuck with a seed time 3 seconds slower than my best converted time. And I face that with all my entered events just on a smaller scale.

Paul

matysekj
March 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
The current system is not designed to allow you to log in multiple times and update your entry. Yes, that is desirable, but it isn't going to happen for this year's meets. If you have a drastic change to your entry time that you would like to get in or need to change your events, you can send me the changes (be sure to include your USMS registration number). Changes to entry times or events can only be made until the entry deadline of April 3.

If you have a drastic time drop like Paul is talking about, it is perfectly understandable to want to change your seed time and we'll take care of that for you if you notify us in time. If it is a marginal time drop and likely won't change your seed position, you may want to just leave it the way it is.