PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tournament cheers and groans

Chris Stevenson
March 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Why you should root for UNC:

"North Carolina was the only school among the four No. 1 seeds in the NCAA men's tournament to graduate at least 50 percent of its players.

A report released Monday found 86 percent of Tar Heels men's players earned diplomas during a six-year period. The other top seeds were far worse: 45 percent at Kansas and 40 percent at UCLA and Memphis.

Two of the No. 2 seeds, Tennessee and Texas, graduated only 33 percent of their players for the period studied. The other second seeds, Georgetown and Duke, had success rates of 82 percent and 67 percent, respectively."

Source: espn.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/news/story?id=3297989

GO HEELS!!!

thewookiee
March 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Go Eagles! American U's first trip to the dance.

Treebox
March 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I wonder what the collegiate graduation average for swimmers across all divisions of the NCAA is. Bet its pretty high.

Chris Stevenson
March 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I wonder what the collegiate graduation average for swimmers across all divisions of the NCAA is. Bet its pretty high.

I dunno in aggregate, but I just checked (on the NCAA web site) for my undergrad institution (UNC): the "graduation success rate" is 88% for men's and 96% for women. For my grad school (U of Fla) it is 97% and 100%, respectively. At the Univ of Richmond, where I work, it is 95% for women (there is no men's team).

Pretty decent numbers. (And I must add in passing -- and keeping on the thread topic -- that my two alma mater have won the past 3 bball tournaments. Hopefully UNC will make it 4 in a row this year.)

But in my experience, high graduation rates can sometimes mask other problems. In my opinion, the biggest sin of college athletics is to accept student-athletes into schools for which they are not academically prepared. In other words, they can lower admission standards for athletes too much.

This can lead to an inferiority complex in the student-athlete: they feel they cannot compete academically with their fellow students. Add to this the fact that they can have lengthy and strenuous demands on them from training, and they are also away from classes for extended periods of time due to athletic events.

It can be a tough double-whammy to overcome and often leads student athletes to avoid the more challenging courses and majors. (There are certainly many exceptions, of course, but I base all this on various conversations I've had with many student-athletes in my classes over the years.)

So I think schools do students a grave disservice if they unduly lower admission standards to admit athletes. I wish they would stop, but unfortunately it is nearly universal.

aquageek
March 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM
From http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3048049 -

The most successful men's sports in the percentage of athletes graduating were fencing, gymnastics and lacrosse, each at 88 percent but representing far fewer participants than the major sports. Likewise, water polo was at 85 percent, followed by ice hockey at 84 percent and swimming and tennis, both at 82 percent.

For the women, 95 percent of the skiers graduated, followed by gymnastics and lacrosse at 94 percent, fencing at 93 percent and swimming at 91 percent.

Preppy lacrosse players at preppy schools ruining it for us swimmers.

BTW - smart money is always on the 'Heels.

Chris Stevenson
March 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Preppy lacrosse players at preppy schools ruining it for us swimmers.

When I was in school, the lacrosse players were the biggest party animals around. (Apparently it is still true at Dook.)

Just killing time on this thread until the real fun begins...I have Xavier down to put the Blue Devils out of their misery...

Speaking of which, take a look at this.

ALM
March 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Aquageek, wookiee,

We need you for our NCAA tournament brackets! See the link below. Picks have to be submitted before tip-off of the first game on Thursday.

Anna Lea

imspoiled
March 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah Chris! Glad to have another Duke loather out there. One of the reasons I suck at these bracket pools is my absolute insistence on putting Duke out in the first or second round.

kizzi77
March 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Belmont all the way!!!!!!!

kidding. but they are my alum!

And with playing Duke first round, well....

Chris Stevenson
March 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Slate had a fun article, "Teams we hate," about the NCAA tournament. Well, at least *I* thought it was fun, considering the following insightful excerpt:

"If history is our guide, 64 teams in the 2008 NCAA Tournament believe the fans, critics, and concessionaires aren't giving them enough respect. There's one team, though, that thinks the exact opposite. In recent years, coach Mike Krzyzewski, guard-poet J.J. Redick, and forward-faux businessman Christian Laettner have confessed to reporters the terrible burden that the Blue Devils must bear: Duke always gets the other team's best shot. Complaining that you get too much respect, that the NCAA's junior associates have the gall to try to beat you, is the quintessence of Duke basketball. I believe psychologists refer to this as narcissistic personality disorder.

Sure, every team and every hoops fan wants to see Coach Leadership and Ethics bite it. But that's not because Duke is on top of the basketball world—George Mason has reached as many Final Fours over the last six years. No, America's hatred of Duke grows ever-stronger because the program derives so much of its ample self-regard from being hated. It's a vicious cycle of annoyance: J.J. Redick says then-pre-frosh Greg Paulus will be "hated as much as me," an arrogant prediction that makes both Redick and Paulus instantly more loathsome. The most frustrating thing about hating Duke, then, is knowing the program would wither and die if you could just stop paying attention. After all, Duke doesn't play on national television 800 times a year because people want to see Greg Paulus win."

Full article at

http://www.slate.com/id/2186858?wpisrc=newsletter

There is also an entry about U of Texas. But, of course, none for UNC because they are beloved by all.

thewookiee
March 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Aquageek, wookiee,

We need you for our NCAA tournament brackets! See the link below. Picks have to be submitted before tip-off of the first game on Thursday.

Anna Lea

Sorry....really don't care about ncaa basketball. Just nice to see my school in there for the first time...but I think the Vols are going to send them back to DC pretty quickly.

The only ncaa sports I care about are the men's and women's swimming championships...no, I don't care about diving either.

Chris Stevenson
March 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Groan: #2 Duke 71, #15 Belmont 70. Nice game until the end.

Trivia question: who was the first 15-seed to beat a 2-seed in the tournament?

That Guy
March 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM

I think it was Hampton... I didn't cheat by looking anything up...

EDIT: I was wrong. Hampton was the most recent though

ALM
March 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM
The games aren't all over yet tonight, but I'm going to bed. Here are the rankings so far (the underscores are the only way I can keep the numbers in line):

Rank_Bracket________Points
1____megsmath______15
2____Iwannafly______14
3____Tracy Grilli______13
3____JimRude________13
5____Chris Stevenson_12
5____matysekj_______12
5____smontanaro_____12
8____Jayhawk________11
8____Aquageek_______11
10___imspoiled________10

Iwannafly
March 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM

I was so yelling at the TV when Duke got the go-ahead layup, and then again on that terrible in-bounds pass, and then AGAIN when Belmont launched their last second half court shot that looked like it might have enough...

Something makes me think it was U. of Richmond?!?!?! I like any team that beats Syracuse. I confess, I had to cheat.

Chris Stevenson
March 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
I confess, I had to cheat.

And you call yourself a Virginian...their triumph over Syracuse was indeed the first. "See ya 'Cuse!" the headlines read.

Richmond has had some decent teams and cinderalla stories over the years (unfortunately I wasn't here for most of the Tarrant era). Plus you just gotta admire a team with a spider as a mascot.

I do wish they had allowed more teams from the "mid-majors" in the tournament. You'd think they would have learned their lesson from George Mason, but noooo.

Every conference should have a limit of 5 teams; in my mind, if you don't finish in the top 4-5 of your own conference, you don't deserve a shot at the national title, no matter how good your conference is. And if you don't, you can still get hot and win your conference tournament (stealing the invite of the 5th place team).

The cynic in me believes that money drives such decisions much more than merit.

Iwannafly
March 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
And you call yourself a Virginian...their triumph over Syracuse was indeed the first. "See ya 'Cuse!" the headlines read.

Well, I have only been in Virginia for 2 years now, so I probably haven't quite achieved Virginian status. It looks like most mid-major teams are getting beat up thus far. Except for Belmont last night.

Chris Stevenson
March 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
It looks like most mid-major teams are getting beat up thus far.

Definitely spoke too soon...!

CHEER for Davidson for what I understand is its first tourney victory since the Lefty days. They played a tough pre-conference schedule; glad it paid off. (And it wouldn't have done so if they didn't win their conference tournament.)

My wife and I often get season tickets to the UR games; I remember watching Lefty's JMU teams come to town. Always fun to watch.

I still think VCU should have been invited. Forget all the RPI stuff, that favors the majors: they won their regular season in a pretty decent conference (the CAA) by 3 games. (Of course, they didn't do so well in the NIT.)

They bounced Duke from the tournament last year, of course, but that doesn't color my thinking at all!

poolraat
March 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I love it when the underdog wins. Even when I don't pick them on my ticket. Wish I could've been in Tampa to watch the mayhem.

Go Toreros!!!!

Chris Stevenson
March 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
HUGE CHEERS for West Virginia!! (Need you ask why?)

Honestly, I do not glory in Duke's ouster. My wife is an alum, after all, and I always pay for such an attitude. And it is most likely that UNC will not win the championship either, favored status notwithstanding, so unseemly behavior will likely come back to haunt me.

(Was anyone really fooled by all that? YEEEEHAW!!!)

ALM
March 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Update after the second round:

Group: USMS Forumites

Rank__Bracket_________________Pts___Corr Picks___Poss Pts
1___megsmath1_________________51_____39 of 48_____115
2___Jayhawk___________________45_____33 of 48_____169
3___Tracy Grilli______________43_____33 of 48_____163
4___JimRude___________________42_____32 of 48_____154
5___Chris Stevenson___________39_____31 of 48_____159
5___Aquageek is your Daddy!!!_39_____31 of 48_____155
5___matysekj__________________39_____30 of 48_____155
8___imspoiled_________________38_____29 of 48_____162
8___smontanaro________________38_____29 of 48_____158
10__Iwannafly_________________37_____30 of 48______93

Anna Lea

Chris Stevenson
March 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Cheers for the little guys: Xavier and Davidson. Both well coached teams, from what I can tell. I hope one or both make it to the Final Four. Both have a legitimate shot.

I never liked Pitino so I'll be cheering for Tennessee to waltz all over them.

KU and UNC both looking strong, too bad they can't meet for the championship.

Chris Stevenson
March 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Okay, the usual acknowledgement for Carolina's dominating performance (but I'm not all that reassured, really; Wash St could not buy a bucket, even when open).

But a HUGE CHEER to the BOT of Davidson...go to

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3315722&sportCat=ncb&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

to read about it.

Iwannafly
March 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Go Davidson! I don't like the Badgers and I can't figure out why. They remind me of the Pistons of the 80s with Laimbeer, Rodman and Thomas. I don't know why!!!

Chris Stevenson
March 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
They remind me of the Pistons of the 80s with Laimbeer, Rodman and Thomas. I don't know why!!!

Maybe because they are mostly plodding, big and thuggish? Other than that, I have trouble seeing the similarity too!

Even if Davidson does beat Wisconsin, I don't hold much hope that they would be Kansas. But memories of George Mason still linger!

The Richmond paper just ran a story today about how Dick Tarrant always gets calls this time of year; his Richmond teams were famous for their cinderalla upsets of big-name schools in the tournament (Indiana when they were defending champs; Auburn when they had Barkley; Syracuse in one of the biggest upsets in tourney history; Georgia, when they had 5 future NBA players).

This is why they should let in more mid-majors. The little guys already have the deck stacked against them. What purpose was served by having eight Big East teams? The regular season should mean something, and if you can't finish in the top 4-5 in your league, that should be it for your dreams of a national title. A hot team can still win the conference tourney and earn the right to play for all the marbles, like Georgia did.

Iwannafly
March 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Maybe because they are mostly plodding, big and thuggish?
That must be it!

Chris Stevenson
March 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Cheers to

-- Davidson for a great run, too bad they came up short. All but the most die-hard Kansas fan had to be pulling for them.

-- Memphis for living up to their billing. I wasn't a believer (I picked Texas to take them down).

-- the generally high level of play in the tournament.

-- Psycho T. DA MAN! Those jump shots! And I'm still recovering from the thunderous put-back slam towards the end. Almost in the same league with MJ's exclamation point dunk at Maryland when I was an undergrad (I still get goosebumps remembering it).

Now looking forward to the last weekend; the women's tournament is pretty fun too.

Anna, I'm sure Roy still has the one your dad made...but I'm afraid there will be "Sad Jayhawks" aplenty after the game next weekend...GO HEELS!!

ALM
March 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
...I'm afraid there will be "Sad Jayhawks" aplenty after the game next weekend...GO HEELS!!

Kansas will be bringing their "secret weapon"... See photo...

Chris Stevenson
April 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Kansas will be bringing their "secret weapon"... See photo...

Anna, clearly the secret weapon worked! Kudos to KU and Memphis; best of luck to your team. I'll catch the highlights but probably won't watch the whole game.

But I'm all about looking at the bright side: this just means a quicker start on following the baseball season. I TiVo'd "For the Love of the Game" and -- to get in the proper mood -- watched it after the horrendous bball game.

Anything to hasten better weather (it has been very dreary here in Richmond this past weekend....God IS a Tarheel, after all, and he was undoubtedly upset with their play...)

Time to switch the blue for the green: go A's!

swimmieAvsFan
April 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
those darn jayhawks!
i usually pick kansas to go pretty far in the tournament and they never make it as far as i give them credit for.
so this year i decide to send them home early in my brackets, and look what happens?!?!?
:rolleyes: