PDA

View Full Version : Busted!

born2fly
March 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
I arrive to morning practice earlier than normal at 4:50am. I park in my usual spot underneath parking lot light pole, car still running with lights on listening to music as I slowly do my "car stretches" before practice. Within a minute there was a Deputy who pulled up next to me on passenger side. I rolled my window down and deputy rolled his down. I stated I was here for swim practice and was just early. Deputy said, ok, don't drown.

The deputy pulled away and I continued with my stretches in the car. 5 minutes passed since deputy left then here come two more deputies, one pulls up behind me other is behind me off to the side. I start to get out of my car and I am ordered to get back in car with my hands out the window. Being a former police officer, I know this is procedure so I comply. All the sudden, there is a 3rd deputy, parked behind me on other side, Im trapped I think to mysellf. At that moment, with the emergency lights already on, I get 3 spot lights shinning in my car. With my hands still out the window, I look towards my passenger seat and see my Speedo speed socket mirrored goggles. I think to myself, if I could get those on it would get rid of that damn glare coming in my car from the spotlights. However, I thought I better not make any sudden movements so I kept my hands out the window. Realizing that they are taking away my stretch time, I start stretching with my hands out the window. I lower down and arch my lower back as I twsit my wrists out the window. Finally deputy comes up to car and asks what I am doing. By this time it is about 5:05am and I state I am here for swim practice.

The towel, goggles and bottled water on passenger seat should have been a good clue. I thought about popping my trunk, but for fear that they might get knocked out with the aroma of chlorine coming from my swim bag and a few ripe towels back there I thought better of it. The deputy asked for my license which I gave to him.

It is about 5:10 now, the deputy is running my license. Practice is at 5:15am, and I start thinking, where the hell is everyone. Slowly, as the lights blind my eyes, the cob webs start to clear from my head. I think, this is Friday, Good Friday! There is no morning practice, only afternoon practice. There goes my alliby I told the deputies that I was here for practice. Now what, Im caught in a lie, should I pop my trunk, emit the chlorine aroma and make a run for it.

Deputy comes up to me, hands me my license and asks what type of work I do. I kinda motion towards my dashboard where I have an plaquard that states "Official Personal". Told him I am a network engineer/system administrator and deal with biometrics and set up, configure and maintain numerous criminal fingerprint databases. He kinda laughs, hands me my license, and says, have a good swim.

I was to embarressed to tell him that I really did not have practice this morning. I wait until all 3 crusiers departed and drove shamelessly home. Good thing is know one saw this. If there was practice and the age groupers saw the ole guy getting shook down, I would never have heard the end of it. They are always asking me to tell them some of my old police stories, now I got one for tonights practice!

Anyone else get questioned by police while waiting for an early morning practice :-)

Greg

geochuck
March 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Goes to prove Never Stretch Before You Swim.

Leonard Jansen
March 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
IAnyone else get questioned by police while waiting for an early morning practice :-)

Greg
No, but...

I grew up in New Jersey, about 1 mile from the state mental institution (a.k.a. "Greystone"). In high school (1969-1973 and before the running boom) I was on the track team and used to run alot on my own. In those days, we didn't have any high-tech winter running gear and we used to run in cotton thermal underwear (tops & bottoms) with our shorts pulled over the bottoms, maybe a scarf, a hat and mittens. I had spent a long day laying floors (we were on Xmas break) for my dad's construction company and got home very late, so I ended up going for a run after 11 PM. Since it was cold and lightly snowing, I had my thermal underwear, etc on and decided to take a route through some of the roads of Greystone. All of sudden, a police car pulls over and two cops grab me and hold me against the car. They thought I had escaped from the institution, dressed like I was and running through the midnight streets. I convinced them to call the PD of my home town and tell them my name (it was a small town and everyone knew my family). The guy at the desk knew me and said "Yeah, he's crazy - he runs all the time, but he's not dangerous, so let him go." They did and I covered the mile back home in about 3 minutes flat.

Thereafter, my hometown cops would call out through their car loudspeakers things like "Looks like a dangerous nut to me" when they saw me running.

-LBJ

Stillhere
March 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Never got checked at the pool---but--for years I woke up at 4:45 AM and drove out of my driveway at 5:05 AM. I lived one house from the end of the street, which had a stop sign---I then made a right turn and drove one house length to another stop sign, then made another right turn to drive to swim practice at 5:30 AM.
Well, every morning at 0 dark 30 their was never anyone around and I got into the habit of rolling both stop signs in a dark residential community. One dark cold morning a police officer was sitting up in a Church parking lot near the intersections I routinely rolled every morning and he put his flashing lights on and pulled me over. I rolled the window down to get a nice blast of cold winter air in the face as the Police Officer walked up to my car---and he said, "Sir, do you know why I pulled you over this morning?"
As I sat there thinking how lame it was to pull a guy over at that time of the morning when no one was around---in the dark deserted streets of my residential community---I answered his question, "Ah, you thought I had donuts in the car!"
Ok Sir, please get out of your car and place your hands on the hood right now and spread your feet while I search you---! Needless to say, I was late for practice that morning---

geochuck
March 21st, 2008, 11:03 AM
My brother Bill ran into a problem.

I gave him a green corderoy jacket with a fur collar. He had broken his knee cap and had a limp. While out for a walk for exercise as suggested by his doctor he was stopped by the police. He had no identification on him. The police took him to the jail cells and put him in custody.

Apparently there was an escaped inmate from the mental institute. The description a man with a limp, wearing a green corderoy jacket with a fur collar.

They released him after they checked out his story.

ALM
March 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
Since I am a perpetual "slow lane" swimmer, I get to know a lot of the new Masters swimmers as they pass through my lane on their way to getting faster. Years ago there was a new guy who started attending practice pretty regularly, and swam in my lane.

One evening I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work. I was in the produce section when a man dressed in business clothes said hello to me, as though he knew me. I didn't recognize him at first and then finally realized he was the new guy from the pool. I said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you with your clothes on."

A woman standing nearby overheard and gave us a funny look.

The guy never came to the pool again.

Anna Lea

aquageek
March 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM
I was stopped two weeks ago at 5:05 am by a cop for running a red light. I was [or so I thought] the only person at the intersection. As soon as I went through, on came the blue lights, and the siren (at 5 am, good grief). He asked me if I knew the light was red. I told him it was 5 am and I was on the way to the pool. No ticket but it was kind of a rude awakening for a Saturday morning. He was cool enough about the situation and I guess he was glad I wasn't drunk or something.

I now dutifully wait for green lights, just me, the crickets and the lone cop ranger.

jim clemmons
March 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Never got checked at the pool---but--for years I woke up at 4:45 AM and drove out of my driveway at 5:05 AM. I lived one house from the end of the street, which had a stop sign---I then made a right turn and drove one house length to another stop sign, then made another right turn to drive to swim practice at 5:30 AM.
Well, every morning at 0 dark 30 their was never anyone around and I got into the habit of rolling both stop signs in a dark residential community. One dark cold morning a police officer was sitting up in a Church parking lot near the intersections I routinely rolled every morning and he put his flashing lights on and pulled me over. I rolled the window down to get a nice blast of cold winter air in the face as the Police Officer walked up to my car---and he said, "Sir, do you know why I pulled you over this morning?"
As I sat there thinking how lame it was to pull a guy over at that time of the morning when no one was around---in the dark deserted streets of my residential community---I answered his question, "Ah, you thought I had donuts in the car!"
Ok Sir, please get out of your car and place your hands on the hood right now and spread your feet while I search you---! Needless to say, I was late for practice that morning---

Similar story but I didn't give the guy the smarta** answer.

I was driving down the road from the house where I had just left at 5:30 in the morning heading to college workout. I didn't see the cop until I rolled past him about 8 or 10 houses away from my parents place. Lights came on, I pulled over. He cited me for 33 in a 25 zone. C'mon! It was him and me, nobody else.

USMSarah
March 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM
GREG!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all, I would have died if I saw you in that situation... but I bet you may have been so mad afterwards! I know they are doing their job, but don't you think they should know that people do get to the rec center very early in the morning??? WOW! I'm chuckling, but I'm still upset that they did that to you. :mad:

However, I bet you can't wait to tell the team!:laugh2:

Stillhere
March 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hey Jim:

I am not usually a wise a--, but I just could not help myself this AM. Where I lived I knew they had a policy that IF you get pulled over--and--if you were in violation--no one slides--so I knew I was going to get the ticket and figured I mine as well have some fun while getting the ticket. He didn't have a sense of humor--- at ALL---None!

jim clemmons
March 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hey Jim:

I am not usually a wise a--, but I just could not help myself this AM. Where I lived I knew they had a policy that IF you get pulled over--and--if you were in violation--no one slides--so I knew I was going to get the ticket and figured I mine as well have some fun while getting the ticket. He didn't have a sense of humor--- at ALL---None!

I totally understand. I'd have said something like that myself but my mental capacity is just not functioning :notworking: that quick, that early in the morning!

tjburk
March 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
I cannot comment in this forum as there is an ongoing investigation into everything I have ever said or done........and I do not want to incriminate myself!!!!!

No pictures......no proof!!!!!! And I burned them all.......except for that one......:drink::drink::drink:

3strokes
March 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
My brother Bill ran into a problem.
I gave him a green corderoy jacket with a fur collar. He had broken his knee cap and had a limp. While out for a walk for exercise as suggested by his doctor he was stopped by the police. He had no identification on him. The police took him to the jail cells and put him in custody.
Apparently there was an escaped inmate from the mental institute. The description a man with a limp, wearing a green corderoy jacket with a fur collar.

They released him after they checked out his story.

George: One question (rather two):
1- Do you limp?
2- Obvious............... No?

3- Not a question: Shame on you, George: trying to get rid of incriminating evidence by dumping it on your brother !!!!!

:canada:

jmeyer
March 22nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
That's an interesting story, but I'm surprised nobody else has raised an eyebrow at what the cops did. It's not like you were doing anything illegal. I'm surprised they asked for your license. I guess we're further towards a police state than I thought.

PArob83
March 22nd, 2008, 02:58 AM
then finally realized he was the new guy from the pool. I said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you with your clothes on."

A woman standing nearby overheard and gave us a funny look.

The guy never came to the pool again.

Anna Lea
Well I have had a similar situation but its location was just as amusing, it was in the lounge above the theater after the local Symphony performance. so all the who's-who of town are all dressed up chatting and sipping their drinks having a grand old time.
Being a frequent user of the local Y, I know many of the people there from the pool/gym/sauna/locker room etc as we have talked a number of times over the last 6 years.
well im standing in the room having a snack when a man walks up to me and says "Hello, I did not recognize you with your clothes on." and lond enough the people around could hear. and the lady behind him in mid sip (pinky up and everything) spit her wine back into the glass out of suprise... though she said nothing.

It may not mean much but he is the largest busness owner/ donor, in the area. (well kown in town)...
Swiming.... Good times in the water.

geochuck
March 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
I did not recognize you with your clothes on. That is an old standard. That statement has been a standby for Ions.

Have a look here http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?p=43196&highlight=clothes#post43196

3strokes
March 22nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
I did not recognize you with your clothes on. That is an old standard. That statement has been a standby for Ions.

Without knowing this (being a "standard"), I used it under slightly different circumstances.
There's this beautiful woman (not a Masters swimmer) at the public pool where I usually swim.
Year 1........... Nothing (i.e., I just admire her from afar).
Year 2........... Nods
Year 3........... We just exchange pleasantries about the weather
Year 4........... We run into each other in the parking lot and as we walk to the pool, I introduce myself. She does too and then asks me, "What took you so long?". Without thinking, I just blurted out, "It's the first time I've seen you with your clothes on." Half a second of silence and then we both burst out laughing. Just glad her husband was nowhere near.

geochuck
March 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
You must realize I was around when the first streakers came to life. I was teaching swimming in late 1974 when a man came to the pool. I recognized his beard from about a week before. I was driving down town during a snow storm and I saw this guy streaking down the main drag with his arms in the air yelling out a Tarzan yell. All he had on was his shoes.
http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2008/01/

I asked if it was he who I saw streaking. He did not say yes or no.

orca1946
March 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
No clothes comment sure scared the other lady, or she may join the team!!?