PDA

View Full Version : How do I judge myself against other swimmers?

Ron Lockman
March 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I`m 56 years old and swim 1000 yards in in a 25 yard pool in 16 min. It comes out to 1 min. 36 seconds per hundred. I`m beat when finished. I can swim a mile in 30 minutes and feel like I could keep that pace up for a few miles,..that works out to 1 min. 45 seconds per hundred. In the Ocean I do a mile in 28 minutes, give or take a minute or two depending on conditions,..I bet my average is 29 minutes.

Am I average or slow?

Thanks

Ron %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ><>

coachchris
March 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
One way to judge yourself against others in your age group would be to look at the USMS Top Times or Top Ten listings. That would show you what the top end of the spectrum looks like. Otherwise, I think that the most important comparison would be to gauge your performance against where you want to be. If you want to be at the top of your age group, the lists above would be a good benchmark. If you simply want to get faster, then I think you should look at ways to get there, and don't worry so much about the other folks in your age group.

If you need some incentive/motivation, though, by all means check out the lists :-)

LindsayNB
March 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Looking at the results from the open water events might give you a more complete picture of the distribution of speed:

http://www.usms.org/longdist/ldchamps.php

Of course the people who compete will on average be faster than the general population of swimmers and certainly the general population.

geochuck
April 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Never judge yourself as slow. Let us just say improvement is just around the corner.

Rykno
April 4th, 2008, 02:49 AM
here is a link to Swimrankings (http://www.swimrankings.net/index.php?page=finaPoints&points=pts_dsvmaster) they have a FINA points calculater you can download. this is a nice sight. but not every meet is loaded into their stats. I was surprised when I found my name since I just started racing again in 2006.

the program only covers 25m and 50m, and the 1000 was not an option.

unfortunately I can not find the points system for Masters. I know there is one. In our group those of us that compete are 25, 26, 32, 34 and 42.

after our Masters Open I thought it would be fun to compare points between the ages and strokes. Our 42 yr old had the most points with his 800m swim then the 25yr old with his 50m breast followed by my 34 yr old 50m breast.