PDA

View Full Version : SC Nats 08 Heat Sheets and Estimated Time Line

matysekj
April 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM
The heat sheets (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats08/heats/) for all pre-seeded events are now available as well as an estimated time line (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats08/heats/timeline.pdf) for the meet. Please note that the time line is only an estimate. Swimmers are responsible for showing up in their assigned heat and lane for all events, even if the event starts before it's estimated time.

Blackbeard's Peg
April 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for posting, Jim. Looks like I'm going to have a very long chance to sleep in on Saturday.

pwolf66
April 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
/Fortress

Outside lanes in TWO of 6 events. That SUCKS. OMG, I hate this meet, I hate this pool, I hate these seeds.

/Fortress

Hmm, some serious heats there. Looks like I'll be sleeping in all three days.

Paul

gull
April 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
So the decision was made not to seed the men and women together for the 1000 and the 1650?

matysekj
April 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
So the decision was made not to seed the men and women together for the 1000 and the 1650?

Yes, that's correct. Women will swim in their own heats before the men's heats in the 1000 and 1650. Both will be seeded slowest to fastest, regardless of age (as will the 500's and the 400 IM). Thanks for bringing that up - I forgot that point in the announcement.

It's all over but the swimmin' now.

Matulaitis
April 19th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Can anyone tell me if a relay event counts as one of a swimmer's three events which can be entered without a qualifying time?

For instance, can a swimmer with no qualifying times in any events swim three individual events, and also participate in one or more relays?

pakman044
April 19th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Can anyone tell me if a relay event counts as one of a swimmer's three events which can be entered without a qualifying time?

For instance, can a swimmer with no qualifying times in any events swim three individual events, and also participate in one or more relays?

Relays don't count towards the number of events you can enter without a qualifying time, nor do they count towards the number of individual events you can enter in the meet, nor do they count towards the number of individual events you can swim in a day.

So the answer to your question is yes. (In fact, a swimmer can be a relay-only swimmer, so long as they send in the registration form and pay the meet surcharge).

Patrick King

freestyle94
April 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
My goodness. We have been coming to USMS Nationals for 5 years now and have never left the pool later than 4:40/5pm from the day's events. Saturday especially looks like a day from pre-lims/finals meets of old. What is up with the 8pm finish time estimate? Isn't that a bit out of hand? A 12 hour meet session? What were the reasons for not dropping the 6th event this year?

jim clemmons
April 21st, 2008, 10:54 AM
My goodness. We have been coming to USMS Nationals for 5 years now and have never left the pool later than 4:40/5pm from the day's events. Saturday especially looks like a day from pre-lims/finals meets of old. What is up with the 8pm finish time estimate? Isn't that a bit out of hand? A 12 hour meet session? What were the reasons for not dropping the 6th event this year?

Ever been to a Long Course Nat's? SCY Nat's are usually reasonable and 8:00pm isn't unreasonable so why not swim all 6?

freestyle94
April 21st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Yes, We have been to LC Nats. But this is not LC.

You are probably aware that FINA Worlds are the same way.

I guess I am just suprised to see the VERY late finish. We have enjoyed the manageable days of SC Nats in the past and simply wondered about the unusual length of this years days. On top of this, the days are quite variable...in their end times. Not very appealing.

4:30pm Fri.
8pm Sat
6:30pm Sun.

Just seems unusual.

jim clemmons
April 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yes, We have been to LC Nats. But this is not LC.

You are probably aware that FINA Worlds are the same way.

I guess I am just suprised to see the VERY late finish. We have enjoyed the manageable days of SC Nats in the past and simply wondered about the unusual length of this years days. On top of this, the days are quite variable...in their end times. Not very appealing.

4:30pm Fri.
8pm Sat
6:30pm Sun.

Just seems unusual.

Yes, the variance might be a little unusual this time around, but, I say, who cares? One day? I'm going for the meet - not social activities afterwards otherwise I'd take some extra days and stick around. I'd rather have to hang later with the "late start" than have to stick around an extra day (Mission Viejo). Or Baltimore - 9:00-10:30pm endings?

knelson
April 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I remember Tempe being like this. I recall one of my relays going off when the sun was either down or darn close to it.

I'm glad they decided to keep the sixth event. We're there to swim, after all.

On another note, everyone please swim best times on Sunday. I'm entered in the 200 IM, but the meet is going to have to run on time otherwise I'll have to leave for the airport before my heat swims. So, no screwing around everyone! :drown:

Blackbeard's Peg
April 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
I heard that about Tempe and Baltimore. I also think a lot of people thought that Baltimore's pool was UMD's pool and were in for a rude awakening when they showed up in Catonsville.

Anyways... to the recent musings about the late Saturday...

Saturday is always one of the most popular days for Nationals. Anyone who is with family or trying to work in a business trip before/after the meet almost always misses either Thurs/Friday or Sunday to accomodate the travel. The 100 IM and 200 free are two of the most popular events - both scheduled for Saturday (these four account for half of the 8 events with over 300 men or women signed up).

matysekj
April 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Note that the estimated time line (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats08/heats/timeline.pdf) has been updated. The 20 minute break for the Ransom Arthur award presentation on Saturday just before the relays has been eliminated. The RA award will be presented during the 30 minute break following the 500 on Saturday now. Not a huge difference - the meet is now expected to end at 7:40 instead of 8:00 pm, but every little bit helps.

freestyle94
April 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Thank you. We appreciate the sensitivity to those of us who don't think we can keep up the intensity for 12 hours straight.

Jeff Commings
April 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
If you're swimming or preparing to swim constantly over the course of 12 hours, you need to rethink your event lineup.

And if you have some time between events, take a nap! I'm going to get in a healthy snooze during the 200 free Saturday.

aquaFeisty
April 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Jim, are the heat sheets set in stone? I am going to scratch the 200 free... not that one person's scratch makes any difference, just curious...

matysekj
April 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the meet program went to the printer already, so no more adjustments will be made to seeding. Now you'll just have to swim that 200!

aquaFeisty
April 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
what, you mean there's not some poor soul making a gazillion photocopies last-minute Wednesday night? :)

ok, just thought I'd check.