PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Worlds in Sweden

Rykno
April 25th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Hej!

I just got a link to the 2010 Worlds and wanted to share it with everyone.

http://www.2010finamasters.org/swwwing/app/cm/Browse.jsp?PAGE=1105400

They even have a subscription to get email updates.

-Ryan

pwolf66
April 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm interested but that's still 2 years away so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Looks beautiful there. What's the weather like that time of year? Give it's northern location, I imagine a lot more towards Winter.

EDIT: Never mind. Assumed that it would be in April. It's in August, which I can only imagine is beautiful there. WOOT!!!

Paul

Rykno
April 30th, 2008, 06:24 AM
August has been the better of the summer months here more often than not the past 7 yrs I have lived over here. so much so that most swedes have been moving their 4 week summer vacation from July to Aug. since july has been cold and wet.

I know 2010 is a long way away, but I figured I'd post the site info, so those that want, can get the email updates.

one of the Swedish Masters teams, Hellas, has already booked rooms for those two weeks.

tjrpatt
August 31st, 2008, 04:42 PM
probably no humidity in Sweden. Plus, plenty of women that look like Tiger Wood's wife.

Tracy Collett
September 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
I just went to Perth and had the best time! I can't wait for 2010. How would I find a house to rent for the week or so we will be there? A few South Africans did that in Perth, and it was a brilliant move...

Rykno
September 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
here is one link to a place to help people find houses or cottages around europe. they have listings for sweden too

http://www.novasol.co.uk/

But I would suggest contacting the team in charge of the meet

info@2010finamasters.org

the website set up for Worlds in Sweden
http://www.2010finamasters.org/swwwing/app/cm/Browse.jsp?PAGE=1105400

another option is camping cabins, not too far from the city. most of them have buses that run in and out of the city, or you could rent a car for the week or so.

here is a link to the amusement part in gotherberg that has links to hotels, camping and cabins.

Lump
September 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Ooooo, this may be a new goal! I've always wanted to go over to Scandanavia. What's required to qualify for Worlds?

pwolf66
September 3rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Ooooo, this may be a new goal! I've always wanted to go over to Scandanavia. What's required to qualify for Worlds?

There are QTs for each age group per event. And they are about 10% higher (i.e slower) than USMS LCM Nats QTs. IIRC, if you swim the event and fail to go the QT, they list you as having a NT in the results.

poolraat
September 5th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm interested but that's still 2 years away so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Looks beautiful there. What's the weather like that time of year? Give it's northern location, I imagine a lot more towards Winter.

EDIT: Never mind. Assumed that it would be in April. It's in August, which I can only imagine is beautiful there. WOOT!!!

Paul

..... plenty of women that look like Tiger Wood's wife.

Let's go Paul. We have two years to save $$ and plan the trip.
:bouncing::banana::groovy:

pwolf66
September 5th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Let's go Paul. We have two years to save $$ and plan the trip.
:bouncing::banana::groovy:

I am seriously considering this trip. Mel and Erika have also expressed interest so it would be at least a 2 week trip. And it would one of my last LCM meets in the 40-44 age group.

tjrpatt
September 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
There are QTs for each age group per event. And they are about 10% higher (i.e slower) than USMS LCM Nats QTs. IIRC, if you swim the event and fail to go the QT, they list you as having a NT in the results.

wow, that is hash but it might be a good way to keep the numbers down.

Rykno
February 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Just post on http://www.2010finamasters.org

Dates of the Event
The championships will start with Diving on the 27:th of July and ends with the Open Water Swim on 7:th of August 2010.
The venues for the Championship are located in the Göteborg area and in the city of Borås.
Event Date Place Venue
Opening Ceremony 28 July Göteborg TBA
Diving 27-31 July Göteborg Valhalla swimming arena
Water Polo 28 July-6 August Borås Borås swimming arena
Swimming 31 July-6 August Göteborg Valhalla & Lundby swimming arena
Synchronized Swimming2-6 August Göteborg (Mölndal) Åby swimming arena
Open Water 7 August Göteborg Lake Delsjön
Closing Celebration 7 August Göteborg TBA

Borås approximately 60 kilometres from Göteborg and both cities close to Göteborg Landvetter Airport.

knelson
February 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the update, Ryan. I just saw a story on the local news that SAS is going to quit flying their Seattle to Copenhagen direct flight :( Obviously I can still get there, but looks like it will take a little longer now!

jim clemmons
February 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
wow, that is hash but it might be a good way to keep the numbers down.

Tom, were you trying to post on the bong thread? Watcha doin dude?

:D

RobbieD
March 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM
I want to find a way to go to this meet sooo bad! I used to live in Stockholm and I love spending time in Sweden, especially in the summer. It's such a cool, mellow place to be. Anybody want to bring me along to translate?

Karen Duggan
March 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hey Rob- I'll bring you if you pay for me! :D

RobbieD
March 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Sounds good... except I was trying to mooch a free trip to Sweden, you can't mooch from a moocher :D

Rykno
March 2nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the update, Ryan. I just saw a story on the local news that SAS is going to quit flying their Seattle to Copenhagen direct flight :( Obviously I can still get there, but looks like it will take a little longer now!

I've been over in Sweden since 2001, and here is a tip that has helped my parents on a few of their trips over here. Keep you eye out for the really cheap flights to London. My parents tend to be able to find flights to London for $199 or less and then they booked a cheap flight from London to Copenhagen. The only down side was having to travel between the two London airports.

on a positive note, with the financial crisis going on the swedish kronor has fallen against the dollar by nearly 50% since May 2008. so even though flying to sweden has gotten more expensive, the living here will be cheaper.

Rykno
March 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
more news for those of you note signed up for the news letter.

Qualifying times
Waiting for Qualifying times? They will be publiched after FINA Bureau approval mid March 2009

Registration/Accomodations Soon you will be able to make your personal reservation for Accomodations in the hosting cities and early Registration to the XIII FINA World Masters Championships.
Please be back on this website and look for more Championship informations.

For those of you seriously thinking of coming over, keep your eye on the dollar rates. just in the last 2 days the dollar has gone from 9.00kr/$1 to 9.20kr/$1. might not sound like a big deal, but it could easily jump up to 10 or back down to 6 where it was in april/may 2008. if you book a room at a fixed rate now and it drops you save if it goes up you lose.

Rykno
April 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
bump

http://www.2010finamasters.org (http://www.2010finamasters.org)

new stuff on the site today...hotels, registration and more....check it out.

Iwannafly
April 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
My wife and I are moving to Nurnberg, Germany at the end of May. We will be there for two to three years and are considering a summer vacation to Sweden for this meet! Any idea of when they will post the QTs? I may have lots of improvement to do over the next 15 months!

knelson
April 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM
The cuts for Worlds are usually somewhat easier than Nationals. Another thing to keep in mind is there's really no requirement to make any of the cuts before the meet. What happens is if you swim slower than the qualifying time at the meet it will show up as NT in the results. It's sort of like you didn't actually swim the event.

Rykno
April 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM
The cuts for Worlds are usually somewhat easier than Nationals. Another thing to keep in mind is there's really no requirement to make any of the cuts before the meet. What happens is if you swim slower than the qualifying time at the meet it will show up as NT in the results. It's sort of like you didn't actually swim the event.

are you sure about that?

Because I emailed asking about the qualifying times. my questions was if I could use a converted time in the 400IM since I wasn't sure I would have a chance to swim it LCM. the answer was a quote from FINA rules, but then said he would go on to double check. Not willing to chance it I found a meet in June I can swim everything I am thinking of swimming at worlds.

is there a different rule that applies to Masters meets? if so post it here, I can pass it on to the meet organizers.

" GR 9.6.1.2 Swimming - World Championships (50m)

Men

Women
Freestyle
50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m*,
1500m
50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m,
1500m*
Backstroke
50m*, 100m, 200m
50m*, 100m, 200m
Breaststroke
50m*, 100m, 200m
50m*, 100m, 200m
Butterfly
50m*, 100m, 200m
50m*, 100m, 200m
Ind. Medley
200m, 400m
200m, 400m
Relays
Freestyle: 4x100m, 4x200m
Medley: 4x100m
Freestyle: 4x100m, 4x200m
Medley: 4x100m

Only entry times achieved in 50m pools will be accepted."

RobbieD
April 7th, 2009, 01:46 AM
It looks like once the time standards are approved by FINA they'll be published here:

http://www.2010finamasters.org/files/Masters_VM_2010/text-filer/Sweden_QT3_FINAL.pdf

the site says late March/early April so they should hopefully be up soon

knelson
April 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
are you sure about that?

I know that's how it worked in 2006 at Stanford. That's the only Worlds I've been to. My memory is that you didn't even need to seed yourself under the qualifying standard. Basically anyone could swim, but only those who bettered the standard showed up in the results.

Crazyman
April 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
iwannafly,
i used to live in Nuremberg for 9 years:). Langwasser Swimbad has indoor 25 meters and outside 50 meters pools (summer). As i see, you will be by end of May over there, perfect time for 50 meter pool training at Langwasser swimbad.
You also can go to Sudbad, this is not far from Trainstation Nurrnberg Hauptbanhof.
Ask for Helmut Lang in Sudbad, he speaks English. If you need more specific infos for Helmut, i could ask for his email.

Iwannafly
April 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
iwannafly,
i used to live in Nuremberg for 9 years:). Langwasser Swimbad has indoor 25 meters and outside 50 meters pools (summer). As i see, you will be by end of May over there, perfect time for 50 meter pool training at Langwasser swimbad.
You also can go to Sudbad, this is not far from Trainstation Nurrnberg Hauptbanhof.
Ask for Helmut Lang in Sudbad, he speaks English. If you need more specific infos for Helmut, i could ask for his email.

Thanks Crazyman. I have already been in touch with a masters swimmer in Erlangen, where I will be working. We will live in Nurnberg since my wife probably won't work and will enjoy the trappings of a larger city. There is an indoor 50m pool in Erlangen! So exciting to have all these pools to choose from! I would also love to have Herr Lang's email address though!

Rykno
April 8th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I just registered online, and booked one of the Liseberg Village Kärralund - Cabin Stjärnbyn - 5 person

it's still 17 months away, so I got the cancellation insurance, because you just never know.

when I was registering I noticed that I could only register as a swimmer or open water swimmer. so I contacted the host and was told to register for my main event, swimming, but that I could still sign up later to swim Open water. same thing for anyone who dives and plays waterpolo, chose your main event.

The 4 options at Liseberg had a price difference from 12,000 to 20,000kr (roughly $1400-$2500 for 8 nights) for us it came down to being able to cook, since we will be 4 adults and 2 children we save lots by being able to cook and not eat out 16 times.

But there is a long list of hotels, I suggest that you read the additional information, and if that is not clear, google the various hotels that look good. I'd be glad to help find sites or get information.

I have found that the host contact person is quick to respond to all the questions I have had. so for a more official response I suggest contacting them.

Now back to early register my wife and parents.

note: Children under the age of 6 do not need, as i was told by the host

OOPS! I didn't see this the first time, but you can register multiple people at one time. it's the main and then accompanied 1, 2 and so on. it's not until after the accomadations page that you can say that everyone is a competitor or just there to watch. could have saved me some time, I wound up registering all 4 of us seperately

knelson
April 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Any idea of when they will post the QTs?

They are up: http://www.2010finamasters.org/files/Masters_VM_2010/text-filer/Sweden_QT3_FINAL.pdf

Rykno
April 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
wow, there was some big time drops in mens 35-39 from 2008.

Crazyman
April 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks Crazyman. I have already been in touch with a masters swimmer in Erlangen, where I will be working. We will live in Nurnberg since my wife probably won't work and will enjoy the trappings of a larger city. There is an indoor 50m pool in Erlangen! So exciting to have all these pools to choose from! I would also love to have Herr Lang's email address though!
Yes, Erlangen has 50 meters pool and nice one too if you work in Erlangen, then everything is perfect.
I will get email for you asap.

mctrusty
April 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I am hoping to go. Most of my progenitors are Swedish and Finnish.

cclarke
April 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
knel are you going to this. I will be in shape at that time to race you again!!

knelson
April 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
knel are you going to this. I will be in shape at that time to race you again!!

Yeah, 99% sure. Something could always come up, but I'm planning to go. I age up next year, too, so we'll be in the same age group!

cclarke
April 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
What about Long Course Nats here in Indy?

knelson
April 11th, 2009, 01:14 AM
What about Long Course Nats here in Indy?

I'm probably 50-50 on going to Indy. I'd hate to miss out on the big MSU Swimming reunion!

I was at a meet tonight and saw Mary Armstrong (Schoenle). Remember her? I guess she's been in Washington for three years and just started swimming recently.

cclarke
April 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Seems like a number of folks getting the bug. I am 8 months in and we will see at Y nats next week. Just swimming 3-4 times a week right now - no real yardage to speak of. How about you?

knelson
April 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Clarke, I'll PM you a reply since we're drifting off the Worlds topic a little bit here.

Justin Ritter
April 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
How far apart are the two competition pools (for swimming)? I was reading just now that men will be at one pool and women at another. I was really excited about attending the meet until I read that. I think it's going to be much less fun with my girlfriend and more than half the team being on the other side of the city. I know it's hard to find two long course pools in one location like they had at Stanford but I wonder if there's another option, like doing short course meters instead. I'm sure it's too late for this meet but I think it should be made clearer on the site that men and women are split up. There might be a lot of disappointed people when they arrive and find out.

How was it done at past worlds? Is this normal? Do people even care?

Rykno
April 20th, 2009, 09:49 AM
How far apart are the two competition pools (for swimming)? I

according to the site its a 20 minute ride (most likely by bus) between the two pools.

FridayGrrl
April 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
We were planning on taking quite a big group to Sweden, maybe 15-20 on our team, but when we found out that the pools were separate, we decided to go to Puerto Rico for LC Nats instead. When we travel together as a team, most of the fun we have is because we all hang together for the entire trip, both on and off the pool deck. Separate pools was deal-killer for our team.

Justin Ritter
April 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. I was really excited about going to Sweden but splitting up on opposite sides of town is a deal-breaker. It's a shame.

SLOmmafan
April 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Does anybody have an idea where 2012 is going to be? It was in US, Australia, and then Europe - I am thinking next time most likely in Asia. Perhaps?

Rykno
April 28th, 2009, 06:23 AM
here's the history of Worlds

1:a Tokyo (JPN) 12-16 juli 1986
2:a Brisbane (AUS) 14-18 oktober 1988
3:e Rio de Janeiro (BRA) 6-13 augusti 1990
4:e Indianapolis (USA) 25 juni-5 juli 1992
5:e Montreal (CAN) 4-10 juli 1994
6:e Sheffield (GBR) 22 juni-3 juli 1996
7:e Casablanca (MOR) 19-30 juni 1998
8:e München (GER) 29 juli-3 augusti 2000
9:e Christchurch (NZL) 24-31 mars 2002
10:e Riccione (ITA) 2-13 juni 2004
11:e Stanford University (USA) 3-10 augusti 2006
12:e Perth (AUS) 16-23 april 2008

so one could say it's been awhile since they were in Asia, Sfrica or South America

michaelmoore
April 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Does anybody have an idea where 2012 is going to be? It was in US, Australia, and then Europe - I am thinking next time most likely in Asia. Perhaps?

A location has to bid for the FINA World Masters Championships. Bid are made through the country's national governing body. If there are no bids from South America, Africa or Asia, then there is no chance of the World Masters Championships being there.

Also think about what is needed to conduct a world Masters Championships. Riccione had two fifty meter pools and one 25 m warm up. Stanford had two fifty meter pools and two warm up pools. Perth had three three fifty meter pools, a synchro pool/dive tank and a water polo pool. Shieffield has one fifty meter pool and one diving tank.

If you are going to have 6,000 to 8,500 swimmers you need a lot of water and that very much limits where you can have a championship. Think about how many places in the US could hold a World Championships - very very few.

If you have a chance to go, go. It will be a lot of fun (as long as you are not organizing meet).

-michael

Karen Duggan
May 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Michael,
Does that mean that Pacific won't be posting a bid on behalf of USMS in the near future? Sheesh. What a grouch! :lmao:

Toodles,
Karen

PS Just remember you can't DQ me for being a smart a$$!

Allen Stark
May 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Michael,
Does that mean that Pacific won't be posting a bid on behalf of USMS in the near future? Sheesh. What a grouch! :lmao:

Toodles,
Karen

PS Just remember you can't DQ me for being a smart a$$!

Yes he can,unsportsman like conduct!

michaelmoore
May 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Michael,
Does that mean that Pacific won't be posting a bid on behalf of USMS in the near future?

Karen, you can organize it. I will serve at technical consultant at the non-volunteer rate.

Allen, I like your thinking.

-michael

Tamer Kunlar
July 31st, 2009, 06:46 AM

Why not Turkey? It is both Europe and Asia, alot of master swimmers and many suitable pools. It would be a nice trip to take with families.

DeletedAccount
August 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
I was just looking at the QT's for 2010 World's and it looks like there is no 1500. I see that LCM Nationals has the 1500, does Masters World's not include this distance? I do see that they have a 3k OW race, that is awesome! I wish LCM Nationals included an OW event, especially next year in Puerto Rico....

MPohlmann
August 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know of a U.S. Travel Agent working on travel arrangements to FINA Masters World Championships in Sweden 2010 with vacation tours afterwards?

Mary

Rykno
August 11th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Does anyone know of a U.S. Travel Agent working on travel arrangements to FINA Masters World Championships in Sweden 2010 with vacation tours afterwards?

Mary

depending on where you want to visit after, it would be cheaper for you to plan it on your own.

from Göteborg (gothenberg) you can easily take a train over to stockholm, and there find bus and/or walking tours. My mom brought a "do it yourself" walking tour book, and even though my wife was familiar with the city, we followed the books suggestions.

you can alos easily take the train south to Malmö or over the bridge to Copenhagen. they also have boat/bus tours.

and if you don't want to travel too far, there are things to do and see in Gothenberg too.

Rykno
August 18th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I was at a meet this past weekend at one of the two pools that are going to be used for Worlds. We competed in the Valhalla swimming arena. I had a chance at the end of the meet to talk to the organizers about Worlds and I am even more excited about it now. I've never been to anything bigger than states, but it seems to me like they have thought of everything to make the meet as enjoyable for both the athletes and supports.

The Valhalla pool is only 2-3 blocks from the start of the downtown walking area, less than than 10 minutes walking to the amusement park Liseberg. I had no idea it was so close to everything. The city is currently renovating the trolley system.

For those of you that follow swimming I believe it was the same pool that the 1997 short course worlds were held.

The Open water race we had on sunday was in the same lake as Worlds, but we swam a shorter distance 1500m. Considering that Swedish weather doesn't change that much from year to year, I would venture to guess that the water will be between 60-68F. The lake is where the city gets it's drinking water so it was really clean and it was only a 15 min drive from the Valhalla pool.

Now that I have actually visited the compitetion area feel free to PM about anything, I will do my best to answer them as fast as I can.

Other news from our meet. 1 Wolrd-, 3 Euro-, 17 Nordic- and 22 swedish records were broken over the weekend.

"At the Pre World Masters Championship in Göteborg Glen Christiansen, Sweden, beat the World Record in 100m breaststroke for age group 50-54.

The Swedish Open Masters Championships, Long Course, was held in the Valhalla Swimming Arena, the same pool where the FINA World Masters Championships next year will be competing.

Glen´s new record is 1:10.34, over a second better than the old record from 2004. "

more information about the meet you can find here. (http://vssf.nu.loopiadns.com/page/Goteborg-Simfestival-2009.aspx)

Rob Copeland
August 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I was just looking at the QT's for 2010 World's and it looks like there is no 1500. I see that LCM Nationals has the 1500, does Masters World's not include this distance? I do see that they have a 3k OW race, that is awesome! I wish LCM Nationals included an OW event, especially next year in Puerto Rico....
LCM in PR will have an open water event.:bliss:

pwb
August 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
LCM in PR will have an open water event.:bliss:

Is LCM in PR really a Monday to Thursday meet (Aug 9th to 12th)?

Chris Stevenson
August 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Yes.

pwolf66
August 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Yes,

The hope there is that folks will take Sat thru the following Sun to do vacation stuff on non-swimming days.

pwb
August 21st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Yes,

The hope there is that folks will take Sat thru the following Sun to do vacation stuff on non-swimming days.

Bummer. That's probably going to kill it for me. I guess I'll aim for a regional LCM meet next summer in July like SPMA.

Someday, maybe someday, I'll get to an LCM Nationals ... but probably when I'm 55 and the kids are all out of the house.:badday:

Rykno
October 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Someone has started an unofficial group on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=76549504637#/group.php?gid=96228230171

I'm going to do my best to keep the information up-to-date.

150+ members from around the world right now, so it could be a good place to post questions and or concerns.

I would also like to inform you that the "two competition pool" issue has been at the center of discussion with in the swedish swimming world this past week. too much to translate and post, but just wanted to say you're not the only ones concerned about the split locations and logistics of travelling with a male and female team.

analazy
October 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Yes, two polls separated , ride 20 minutes by tram, by gender. Interesting , why did FINA accept this? Are masters not allowed to go as a family; a couple with children who is going to take care of the children? will the organization provide child care? So many examples of logistical problems, it is really the only way?
Having difficulty to accept! Probably will not go.

swimcat
October 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
logistically sounds difficult. if i can get in shape and have the money, i might go. hey, i have never been to sweden and it would be a vacation

raya
October 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I just got back from Gothenburg this week. I had a chance to swim in their 50m pool! Nice facility,if this is where it will be held. A number of hotels around the area. Hotel Flora is a nice place to stay and a 15 minute walk to the pool. Nice city and a lot of things to see.

rdeclercq
October 17th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Yes, two polls separated , ride 20 minutes by tram, by gender. Interesting , why did FINA accept this? Are masters not allowed to go as a family; a couple with children who is going to take care of the children? will the organization provide child care? So many examples of logistical problems, it is really the only way?
Having difficulty to accept! Probably will not go.
Wait a second...please help me understand that males are supposed to ride on one train while females ride another train? This doesn't make sense and I can be sure that this is a deal-breaker if my wife is supposed to also go (and she's not going for getting lost in Sweden!).

Rykno
October 17th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Wait a second...please help me understand that males are supposed to ride on one train while females ride another train? This doesn't make sense and I can be sure that this is a deal-breaker if my wife is supposed to also go (and she's not going for getting lost in Sweden!).

if you notice the placements of the commas, it was meant to be read as

there are two pools seperated by gender, and the pools are 20 minutes apart by tram. the event schedule has women racing in one pool and men in the other, except on relay day. the distance between the pools is 20-30 minutes by tram.

Rykno
October 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Since there has been lots of talk about seperate pools here, in Sweden and I am sure other parts of the world, a prominent Masters Swimmer in sweden , Glen Christiansen has posted some thoughts.

The entire text will come out in the next Worlds News Letter but I got a chance to read it early and wanted to post a section of it that I hope some people find interesting.

"One of the main attractions is the “Avenyn”, (the Avenue) a large boulevard located in the middle of the city where all hotels, restaurants, cafés, bars, shopping, cinemas, museums, theaters and meeting places are located. This is between the Valahalla pool (walking distance) and the Lundby pool and will be the natural meeting place for masters swimmers from all over the world on their way to and from the pools, after their races and in the evenings. “Come together” meeting points will be set up by the organizing committee where you can meet old and new masters friends. This will make a big difference compared with other masters meets! It will create an “Olympic village feeling” and people will have more from the championships but a couple of fast races. Because, honestly, how much time do you want to spend at the pool? For me it is enough with the time I spend doing my warm up, my race, my swim down and watching a few of my fellow masters swimmers race. The rest of the time I want to enjoy my vacation, the World Masters atmosphere on “Avenyn”, meet masters friends, sit in one of the many outdoor cafés watching people, eat, drink, dance, maybe take a tour with one of the ferries in the beautiful archipelagos, maybe one with an all you can eat shrimp deal that the organizing committee is setting up every day, or just discover Göteborg (again). "

algernon
October 31st, 2009, 10:58 AM
non is a good idea to have two separate location for male and female race.
doing so you lost the fellow race of the other gender!

Rykno
January 4th, 2010, 03:15 PM
there is a new newsletter. in it there is information about flight discounts.

http://news.2010finamasters.org/?page_id=889

knelson
January 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I'm 99% in right now. Question for Ryan or anyone else: do you think a car will be needed in Sweden? For traveling in Gothenburg it looks like the answer is no, but how about for exploring outside the city?

Rykno
January 29th, 2010, 01:38 AM
need a car?

It really depends on what you want to do? there are trains that you can take from Gothenburg (Göteborg in swedish) to Malmö (a large city in the southern tip and only 15-20 minutes farther on a train you wind up in Copenhagen) or to Stockholm.

There are some buses that run outside the city, but I would have to say that if you want to get some place remote, or a city not on the trains route, then yes you will need a car. most bus routes are for getting people to and from work.

a rental car via Hertz (sponsor of worlds) for 10 days will run about $600 for a four door. there are cheaper models and more expensive models.

knelson
January 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
a rental car via Hertz (sponsor of worlds) for 10 days will run about $600 for a four door. there are cheaper models and more expensive models.

I did a quick search and it looks like a small car would be around $400 for a week with the discount code provided through the meet. I guess I'll have to get a better idea on what my itinerary will be and decide on a car based on that.

Any suggestions on visiting other cities? Stockholm, Copenhagen or Oslo?

Rykno
January 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM
stockholm is good for a few days lots of things to see

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/

Malmö/Copenhagen is a good trip because you get two cities/countries during the same trip. there are trains that run all the time between the two. so you could get a hotel in one city and take day trips to the other.

http://malmotown.com/en/touristinformationinmalmo

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/

both can be reached by train from Gothenburg.

knelson
February 9th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Another annoyance is the cancellation policy for hotels. I was all set to book tonight, but looked at the cancellation policy and got serious cold feet. It's a little too early to adhere to these rules:

Cancellation Insurance
To be able to cancel Your hotel reservation and other local reservations You made, you must have signed up for a cancellation Insurance at the time of Your reservation.

The Cancellation Insurance guarantees You to be able to cancel the reservation (Hotel and tours) until the start of Masters2010
Conditions:
- Cancellation latest 31 march 2010 - SEK 1000/room
- Cancellation after 31 march 2010 up to arrival date - SEK 2000/room
All You have ordered and paid will be refunded except above minimum costs and cost of the Cancellation Insurance

We offer You this Cancellation insurance for only 495 SEK/room.

General cancellation rules:

For cancellations latest 30 sep 2009: No charge
Cancellation rules after 30 sep 2009:
Registrations
- No refund

Hotel and Tours
- 20% charge of total hotel sum until 25 march 2010.
- 50% charge of total hotel sum 26 march - 31 may 2010.
- No guaranteed refund after 31 may 2010.
Due to the cancellation conditions we strongly recommend our Cancellation Insurance for only SEK 495.

So it appears that even if you pony up the nearly 500 kronor ($65 US) for the insurance you still incur a penalty even if you cancel before the end of March! I don't know if this kind of policy is typical in Europe or Sweden, but it seems awfully restrictive to me.

Rykno
February 9th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Another annoyance is the cancellation policy for hotels. I was all set to book tonight, but looked at the cancellation policy and got serious cold feet. It's a little too early to adhere to these rules:

So it appears that even if you pony up the nearly 500 kronor ($65 US) for the insurance you still incur a penalty even if you cancel before the end of March! I don't know if this kind of policy is typical in Europe or Sweden, but it seems awfully restrictive to me.

I've fwd this question to one of the meet directors.

When the registration opened last april, this cancellation insurance was great. I booked a cabin for 10 days as well as registered 4 people. it was going to run just under $2900. spending the extra $65 to only have to pay $145 if I got hurt or sick during winter or paying $290 if something happened before May sounded really great mostly since I made my booking over a year before the meet. it would have saved me up to 90% of my booking.

I can understand it doesn't sound like such a great deal if you only have 1 or 4 months to back out. Check with your home insurance, or credit card benefits. I know that we can get money back from a trip that we can not make due to illness or injury when we pay with Mastercard.

your only other options would be to try to book a room on your own. then you could get the regular hotel cancellation 48 or 24 hrs before. the problem will be finding available rooms. it is my understanding that they have booked up 9000 beds. finding rooms on your own might not be easy now, but after the registration deadline maybe most of the unbooked rooms will be released to the public.

knelson
February 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM
your only other options would be to try to book a room on your own. then you could get the regular hotel cancellation 48 or 24 hrs before.

Yeah, thought of that. Sites like expedia.com do show show availability. There are definitely hotels that have a large portion of rooms blocked, so they show no availability, but others do. I might book one of these just as a backup.

Rykno
February 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I've gotten this official reponse to K Nelsons inquiry about the cancellation insurance I hope it makes a difference. It comes direct from the travel agency working with worlds.

"Cancellation Insurance
The insurance secures individual cancellations due to illness/accidents etc against medical certificate for the period of 1 june to the first date of booked stay.
Cancellation max cost up to arrival date - SEK 1000/room
All You have ordered and paid will be refunded except above minimum costs and cost of the Cancellation Insurance
The cost for cancellation insurance - 495 SEK/room.

General cancellation rules:
Cost for individual cancellations:
If made latest
- 30 april: Sek 500/room
- 31 may: Sek 1000/room
- 25 june: Sek 2000/room
- From 26 june Min 50% - Refund at request.

For groups:
For individual cancellations of a group, individual cancellation rules as above.
For entire group cancellations - special rules informed at time of offer"

knelson
February 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I wonder if they meant 2010?

Rykno
February 16th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I wonder if they meant 2010?

the text above has been fixed accordingly. they have made the same updates to their webpage information.

Collberg
March 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
We are going to rent out our newly renovated 3-bedroom apartment in central Gothenburg during the World Masters. It´s located a 20 minute walk or 6 minutes with tram from the main pool at Valhalla. It´s 20 minutes with tram to the second pool at Lundby. The price is SEK 700/night for 2 people, SEK 1050/night for 4 people. The third bedroom has a baby cot, which would be perfect if you are bringing a small child. Until May 3rd you can see pictures of the apartment at this link: http://www.homeexchange.com/show.php?id=92966. If you are interested, write an e-mail to johancollberg@hotmail.com. Regards, Petra & Johan .

Rykno
March 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I don't remember reading about it anywhere, but when i was going to register today, i saw that swimmers are limited to 5 pool events + the open water.

Relays to be registered by the team contact person.

so for those of you coming over as a team, make sure you start registering your personal events and make sure that the person in charge of your relay teams is also registered.

May 22 is the LAST day. not sure how it will work with the time zones, but if it is midnight in sweden, then you have until 6pm EST on the 22nd.

-ryan

Rykno
May 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
I've officially registered for my 5 events + OW.

Decided to swim 800free, 400IM, 50-100-200breast giving me friday to relax before the OW on saturday.

I won't know until May 17th if there is enough interest from my team to have relays or not. it's leaning towards not, but that is just fine with me.

I asked the host about the number of sign ups so far and it was about 2500 participants with even more registered to be there are coaches, trainers or just there to watch others swim.

SwimDogs
May 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Any idea how many there were in Perth in 2008 or Stanford in 2006? How will this compare?

Rykno
May 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
according to them, there are more registered at this point in time compared to the previous worlds.

my guess is because there is nearly 8 weeks between the last day to register and the meet, people tend to wait to the last minute to pick there events or make reservations since it's a big investment, just to get hurt och sick and not be able to train the weeks prior.

Rykno
May 17th, 2010, 02:12 AM
For those of you considering competing at this years Worlds in Sweden do not forget to register for the meet and your events this week.

May 22nd is the last day to do it. There is a count down on the site that indicates that it is midnight local time, so you have until 18:00 on saturday (EST).

a tip for those that have not yet booked flights over to europe, try to travel through france or germany, avoid England because of the volcano ash. it's hard to say what things will look like in 10 weeks, but it seems like england and ireland are being effected more often than the rest of europe.

also, i have nothing again British Airways, but they have had 2 strikes in the past 2 months, and have announced two more strikes in the comming 5 weeks. so I would suggest thinking twice before booking a trip with them, especially if you planned on arrived the day before.

Our USA training trip to Pheonix was delayed by nearly 2 weeks because of the BA strike, and our return trip was delayed 3 days because of the volcano.

Rykno
May 18th, 2010, 08:15 AM
5100 athletes registered for worlds as of lunchtime today!

only 4 days left.....

LindaCallaway
May 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I've registered to do (W 55-59) pool swimming and open water. Sadly, my polo team (Texas Gator Gals) didn't make (too much $$). I've also made reservation at Hotel Gothia Towers Queen 160cm Single room 1 person (checking in on July 30, checking out Aug 8). It would be good to find a room mate to split the cost. I wonder if I can "easily" upgrade from 1 person to 2 people?????

Rykno
May 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM
5800 athletes as of today!

knelson
May 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
5800 athletes as of today!

Wow, looks like it should be over 6,000 when all is said and done. My assumption is that this is all disciplines, not just pool swimming?

Rykno
May 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM
yeap, that was my understanding the the text in swedish too, that it was all athlete diving, synch, waterpolo, swimming and OW.

SwimDogs
May 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I just heard from the Meet Director that there are 226 people from the USA registered so far for Worlds!

That's exciting.

Rykno
May 20th, 2010, 04:07 PM
just as a point of interest the dollar has gotten about 15% stronger against the swedish kronor over the last 4 months.

it's nearly 8kr/$ up from last summers nearly 7kr/$

for the americans sake, and my parents coming over for the meet I hope it continues up to about 9-10kr/$

Cokie
May 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Alright USMS participants let's get some more sign ups for Worlds. SwimDogs just found out they will extend the registration for one more week. :applaud: Your four on deck coaches are excited about the opportunity to meet all of you and help you anyway that we can! Having Mark (SwimDogs) with his Swedish language abilities is going to be fantastic.

Lump
May 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Alright USMS participants let's get some more sign ups for Worlds. SwimDogs just found out they will extend the registration for one more week. :applaud: Your four on deck coaches are excited about the opportunity to meet all of you and help you anyway that we can! Having Mark (SwimDogs) with his Swedish language abilities is going to be fantastic.

If I can get a small loan then I'd go as a volunteer coach and as a swimmer.

Rykno
May 23rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
the new online registration deadline is May 31st....

Rykno
May 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM
yesterday after the orginal final day to register the number of participants was up to 6600!

With just over 600 from Sweden ;)

with the additional week to register I wonder it the totals will reach 7,000.

SwimDogs
May 31st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I just sent a message off to the Meet Director to get an updated list of participants from the United States.

After removing the duplicates from the previous list, there were 202 American swimmers. I am trying to confirm if "USA" is synonymous with USMS, as I believe that there are a few Americans swimming with other Federations.

At this point there were 124 men and 78 women. The largest age group is 50-54 with 33 (17 women and 16 men.)

The USMS Coach Representatives to Worlds (Craig Keller, Cokie Lepinski, Ed Reed, and myself) are putting together plans to communicate to everyone before, during, and after the competition. Look for more from us soon!

The Swedish phrase of the day: Är min baddräkt FINA godkänd? (Is my swim suit FINA approved?)

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend...World's competition starts in two months!

knelson
June 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
I just heard one of the local teams in the Seattle area has 14 swimmers competing in Sweden. Not too shabby!

SwimDogs
June 4th, 2010, 08:45 PM
We've set up a Facebook page for USMS members heading to Sweden this summer for FINA Worlds. Check it out at:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=131703740176269 (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#%21/group.php?gid=131703740176269)

Join Now!

Rykno
June 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I'm there now, so you can ask me questions about sweden there too....

We've set up a Facebook page for USMS members heading to Sweden this summer for FINA Worlds. Check it out at:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=131703740176269 (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#%21/group.php?gid=131703740176269)

Join Now!

Cokie
June 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
If you are looking for a solution for making affordable phone calls back to the US from Sweden, and you own an iTouch, iPhone, iPad or a SmartPhone with Wi-Fi capability, check out Truphone. Just read about it in the July Mac|Life magazine. Woo-hoo! Skype might also be an option, but I haven't checked them out yet. You can see if Truphone works for you at: www.truphone.com

Rykno
June 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM
FYI

the average price of calling with a cellphone from Sweden to the US is between $1.00 and $1.30 per minute depending on the swedish operator.

it's been along time since I have had a phone account in the US, but over here we also pay for the international charge for incoming calls.

SKYPE and MSN Messenger will work great for those of you staying at a hotel with internet and can wait until the evenings to report home. or those of you with internet ready phones.

My dad has rented a phone for the times they come over for vacation. I think it was from T-mobile but it could have been through AT& T as well.

There are prepaid SIM cards in sweden, so if you have a 3 band phone you might be able to get a card for you phone, and save on local calls. I'm thinking more along the lines of when the men and women want to make plans while being at two pools, there might be lots of phone calls between the two sites.

Rykno
June 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
For those of you not yet on the FB bandwagon

here is a link for things to do in and around Göteborg

http://www.goteborg.com/en/ (http://www.goteborg.com/en/)

Rykno
June 18th, 2010, 01:46 AM
more news from the site

Custom t-shirts you can get up to 30 letters/numbers on the back

http://62.20.67.29/masters/

I'm really hoping the rest of my team wants to get them. the shirts are cheap (€10), but there is an extra €8 charge per order so a single shirt would be €18 but if I get the other 7 who are coming to order it's only €11.

Rykno
June 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
Update

Statistics
Preliminary staistics for FINA World Masters Championships, 2010

Over 5000 Swimmers do more than 16000 individual starts and 965 relay starts.

205 Divers and 415 Synchronized Swimmers have entered the Championships.

Open Water will have more than 960 competitors and the Water Polo tournement have attracted 56 teams.

A total of over 6750 competitors from 74 countries.

All scheduling and seedings will be announces before June 30.

SwimDogs
June 22nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Click here if you want to learn more about the USMS Coach Representatives at Worlds:

https://www.swimdogs.net/Worlds/USMS%20Worlds%20Coach%20Reps.htm

If you want to stay in touch during the meet, don't forget to register by clicking on the REGISTRATION PAGE.

SwimDogs
June 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Host site has posted preliminary start list for Open Water competition (as well as diving, sychro, and water polo). Pool competition start list to be posted by July 5th.

http://www.2010finamasters.org/

parabola
July 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM
hallo everybody!! I read here not many US masters are coming to sweden!! that's bad..
i have been in Atlanta last may for SC nationals.. it was great!
Hope to see you there...
:banana:

parabola
July 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
I just sent a message off to the Meet Director to get an updated list of participants from the United States.

After removing the duplicates from the previous list, there were 202 American swimmers. I am trying to confirm if "USA" is synonymous with USMS, as I believe that there are a few Americans swimming with other Federations.

At this point there were 124 men and 78 women. The largest age group is 50-54 with 33 (17 women and 16 men.)

The USMS Coach Representatives to Worlds (Craig Keller, Cokie Lepinski, Ed Reed, and myself) are putting together plans to communicate to everyone before, during, and after the competition. Look for more from us soon!

The Swedish phrase of the day: Är min baddräkt FINA godkänd? (Is my swim suit FINA approved?)

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day Weekend...World's competition starts in two months!

I hope to see you all....

parabola
July 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
http://www.2010finamasters.org/files/Masters_VM_2010/text-filer/Preliminary%20Startlist%20Published.html (http://www.2010finamasters.org/files/Masters_VM_2010/text-filer/Preliminary%20Startlist%20Published.html)

good luck to everyone!! :bouncing:

SwimDogs
July 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Visit the website below for the check-in process for the meet. The "ACCREDITATION" is at the bottom of page two.

http://www.2010finamasters.org/files/Masters_VM_2010/text-filer/ENTRY%20PROCEDURES%20FOR%20ALL%20PARTICIPANTS%20Ne wA.pdf

MPohlmann
July 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The instructions for accreditation (check in) say:
"1 Identification; The print out from the receipt of the online registration system (barcode) shall be shown."

I have several booking confirmations and only one has a bar code on it. I finally figured out that the email receipts that I received do not have the bar code, but if I click on my most recent confirmation email from masters@resebolaget.se where it says:
Click here for access to payment and complete order
I then get a receipt with a barcode on it.

My most recent booking confirmation shows the information that I gave regarding my transfer needs from/to the airport. When I tried to give them that information earlier, their system was not working.

SwimDogs
July 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
FROM THE USMS COACH REPRESENTATIVES:

USMS Deck/Tent space is secured at both the Valhalla and Lundby pools. Look for USMS banners at each venue.

Web pages have been created for USMS Athlete info including Name, Age Groups, USMS Teams, Hotel and Arrival Dates.

Our On-Deck Coaching Schedule is also posted.

Links can be found at: WORLD'S. (http://www.swimdogs.net/Worlds/USMS%20Worlds%20Coach%20Reps.htm)

See you all in Sweden Next Week!

SwimDogs
July 30th, 2010, 03:16 AM
"Oregon Called: They want their weather back!"

Made it safely to Sweden. Everything was on time and the flights were easy. Got lots of sleep.

Hotel room is adequate...like an IKEA-themed college dorm...very Swedish.

Have already met LOTS of swimmers from around the world: Australia, Italy, and Japan, not to mention all the Americans. It's pretty cool.

Worst thing: the cost of beer at $8 a glass in the hotel. Thankfully I have a fridge in my room. I need to keep up my training, you know!

Next worst thing: it has been POURING since my arrival and its raining hard right now...sure to dampen things! My shoes are soaked from two short walks last night. I would imagine the outdoor training pool will be empty today.

Today is a light training day, so I am headed to swim at both competition pools. They are a 20-minute tram ride apart.

Opening ceremonies tonight. Meet starts tomorrow.

Follow everything on our Facebook Group:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=131703740176269

Lump
July 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on Malena Hankins (GAJA) as she is the ONLY training partner I've had (for the last 2 months) in the 2 years I've been back swimming. I wish her the best of luck and I know she will do good. Her first swim is tomorrow (800 Fr):applaud::applaud:

MPohlmann
July 31st, 2010, 01:10 PM
Congratulations to Denise Brown of Michigan Masters winning the women's 800 free (50-54 age group) in 10:23.19 today at the FINA World Championship. The men are still swimming (7 pm).

SwimDogs
August 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
More great swims on Day two...not sure about the Women's events, but the highlight for me was Vlad Pyshnenko's 51.72 World Record in the 100 Free (40-44 age group) for USMS!

The weather cleared for a nice picnic tonight, but more rain forecast for tomorrow.

Lump
August 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Congrats to Michael Soderlund (45-49) for winning the Men's 100 Free by .01!!:applaud:

While we don't train on the same team we train at the same pool and he is a great guy. Swedish Olympian in the 80's and teammate of the great Matt Biondi at Cal.