PDA

View Full Version : Real sore shoulders after a week off.

rtodd
April 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I took a full week off from swimming due to a vacation and my shoulders got progressively worse. I had more trouble sleeping on them as the days went by and they started to tighten and be painful to move through their range of motion. I would say it was a joint atrophy effect?

Back in the pool today I wouldn't say they were painful but very uncomfortable.

My conclusion is that stopping swimming is not the thing to do.

Anyon else with this experience?

LindsayNB
April 26th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I've also had problems in the past when I stopped swimming for a period. I suspect that it is a muscular balance issue and there are several ways for the imbalance to come about with one side or the other getting stronger, getting stiff and tight, getting weaker, etc.

smontanaro
April 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I think more shoulder problems have to do with our sleeping position than we think. If you tend to sleep on your side I think you need a firmer, thicker pillow to relieve the pressure on your shoulder. Being out of your own bed (different bed and pillow) may just exacerbate the problem.

Skip

Paul Smith
April 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
your feeling a "mini taper"....the body is healing itself and this is good...although no fun. Right now there are scores of masters swimmers feeling the same thing in the middle of their taper...those who have been here before know there is light at the end of the tunnel and will get thru the suffering knowing good things are on the other side...others are panicking thinking they are getting to be "out of shape" or in your case "atrophing" which is easy to get suckered in to...stay the course and remember to always take at least a week off..two as you get older 2x a year..its a good thing for your body but tough on your mind!

mctrusty
April 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I think more shoulder problems have to do with our sleeping position than we think. If you tend to sleep on your side I think you need a firmer, thicker pillow to relieve the pressure on your shoulder. Being out of your own bed (different bed and pillow) may just exacerbate the problem.

Skip

I'm with you here Skip.

I tend to sleep on my side. I started having some shoulder issues when I started swimming this year after 8 years off, and thought it was just due to swimming. After a while, though, I noticed that sleeping on my right side night after night caused the most soreness, so I started sleeping on my back more often. A few days after I changed up my sleeping position, my shoulder issues disappeared.

Thrashing Slug
April 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I've found that stopping swimming for a while helps with recovery, but you need to do rotator cuff exercises daily during the time off. The combination of swimming rest + light shoulder exercises and stretching causes a healing and rejuvenation effect. The net result is that powerful, twitchy feeling.

rtodd
April 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Perhaps it is just the body healing......but it sure feels terrible.

I think not swimming for 7 days should not be considered a taper. I think a proper taper should include swimming right up to a meet the right way. No swimming at all is the wrong way.

Rykno
April 28th, 2008, 06:22 AM
sleeping wrong has effected me in the past. slept too long on my left side, with arm up under my head. It took 3-4 weeks before the pain in my shoulder while swimming disappeared.

strong440
April 28th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I guess it's been a month or more since I mentioned that the way to avoid sore shoulders is for swimmers to warm up and warm down for their events by swimming with lightly closed fists. Doing so "takes the load off" the shoulders while going easily through the motiins. You'll be glad you did!

geochuck
April 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
So true - When I am not swimming I do keep active. I have about ten loosening up exercise that I do. These of course are not stretching exercise. I also do some walking.

Always warm up and cool down when you are swimming. If I am not in the water for a few days the swim could even be just a warm up and cool down.

I guess it's been a month or more since I mentioned that the way to avoid sore shoulders is for swimmers to warm up and warm down for their events by swimming with lightly closed fists. Doing so "takes the load off" the shoulders while going easily through the motiins. You'll be glad you did!