PDA

View Full Version : Funky Relays?

Leonard Jansen
April 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I was thinking about running recently and remembered that at one time (1970's, specifically) there was a trend to run some off-beat, but fun, relays. For example, we used to do the 2 person/10 mile relay - two people alternate 1/4 miles until each have done 20 intervals (5 miles each). We also did a 10 person, 24 hour relay - each person runs a mile in sequence and then keep doing that until 24 hours is up. There was also a 100 person/100 miles relay - each person runs 1 mile until all 100 miles is done (This is a beast to organize.)

Do swimmers ever do anything like that? For example, the 2 person/10mile relay might be adapted to 2 person/4000 yard/meter relay - the people alternate 100's until each has done 20.

I do seem to recall in Wennerberg's book an open water 2 man/24 hour relay of alternating 1/4 miles and I also seem to recall geochuck being in it, but maybe I'm hallucinating. George?

Edit: Just remembered one. Alan Turing (google him) invented "Round the House Chess" and a friend and I tried this once. You set up a chess board and the person has to make a move in the time it takes his opponent to run around a house (or other structure). Mike and I did it around our High School gymnasium and drew a huge crowd. (I won.)

-LBJ

Rykno
April 27th, 2008, 02:45 AM
we've had getting dressed relays. the first person just swims a 25, then the 2nd has to wear socks, the 3rd gets the socks from the 2nd but adds pants. until the last person is wearing a full set of clothes.

the more swimmer the more items of cloths you have. it was fun.

TRYM_Swimmer
April 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
At the first New Zealand Masters Swim meet in Matamata, 1974, we had several fun relays after the last day's events. Can't remember them all, but one was the Beer-Drinking IM - width of the pool Fly, chug a cup of beer, width of the pool Back, chug a cup of beer, width of the pool Breast, chug a cup of beer, and then get back anyway you could!

Think some of our prospective Nats revelers would be up for that one! Be sure to post pix!

funkyfish
April 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I was at a swim meet a few years ago where they did an all backstroke 100 yd relay…only you had to swim with a banana on your forehead. Looked like everyone had a good time. They did it right after my heat of 100yd fly so I sat out (busy sucking wind).
:banana:

Rykno
April 28th, 2008, 02:37 AM
in HS in Virginia we had a relay meet. besides the standard 200 and 400 free and medley relays.

we had the 4x100 IM everyone swam the 100 medley.
and 4x50 free
4x50 breast
4x50 back (role on back and up swimming by the 15yd mark)
4x50 fly