PDA

View Full Version : Entering USA Swimming meets as an older swimmer?

jmeyer
May 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
I'm in the 35-39 age group and would like to enter some USA Swimming meets this summer. There are only 2 USMS pool meets in my area for many months. I know I can technically enter a USA-S meet (if I register), but what are everyone's thoughts on this?

To give you an idea of my times, I mostly have USA-S A-cuts.

pakman044
May 3rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
I'm in the 35-39 age group and would like to enter some USA Swimming meets this summer. There are only 2 USMS pool meets in my area for many months. I know I can technically enter a USA-S meet (if I register), but what are everyone's thoughts on this?

Well that's largely up to you, I'd say. If it's worth the time, money, and effort, more power to you. You may enjoy whipping those whippersnappers who are half your age.

You should make to submit the results of the meet to your LMSC Top 10 chair (I think the recommendations also say the USMS Records & Recognition chair too). And if you have any top 10 caliber swims, you'll need to make the pool has been measured (your LSC should have them on file if the pools have been measured).

The worst that could really happen though is you don't like USA-S meets, and if that's the case, all you'll do is waste a weekend and some money. Neither of which will particularly kill you, so it's mostly a no lose situation.

Patrick King

Chris Stevenson
May 3rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Why not? There are a few people in our LMSC who will compete in at least one of these a year, including one swimmer who occasionally swims at her daughter's meets. You'll need to be a member of USA-S (I think there are some meets that are jointly sanctioned but I don't believe it is very common).

You probably already know what these meets are like. The swimmers may be curious but won't gawk too much!

Entering these meets is usually done through your USA-S club team; in fact, my understanding of USA-S rules is that you have to have a club coach on the deck. I once swam at a meet where I was the only representative of my team, and I had to be assigned a club coach. I never really saw him once the meet started, though he was kind enough to offer to let me swim with his team in warmups. (Sometimes at meets the lanes in warmups are assigned to various teams).

If you don't want to submit your times for USMS Top Ten consideration, then you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise you should contact the Top Ten recorder for your LMSC. Do it beforehand to make sure the pool measurements are on file; do NOT just assume that it has been measured by your LSC. Walt Reid maintains a list of all measured pools for USMS.

If the pool regularly hosts masters meets, it is likely to be on file. If it has movable bulkheads then it is supposed to be re-measured at each session of the meet.

chowmi
May 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Go for it!!!!!!!!!

USA swimming is open to anyone with $53 (at least, that's how much North Texas costs) It is a little odd at first to be swimming with kids, but not so much from the actual swimming aspect - I found I didn't have any friends to sit with and I hung out with any club that was nice to me (i'm unattached). Fortunately for me, there are some masters swimmers who are parents, and some of the coaches, and a few fellow masters swimmers to hang out with at the USA A-meets.

Swimmers our age are no longer uncommon. See the USA website:

www.usaswimming.org (http://www.usaswimming.org)

On the left hand menu, click on Times/Time standards. In the middle section, search on Event rank. Play around with your events. For instance, in 2007, in the 50 free LCM men ranging from 35-40 with an A or better time, there are many swimmers listed.

I saw this thread and answered. Earlier today, I emailed USA swimming that I thought they should increase the search range to a higher age - it will not let you search over age 40 so for instance, you won't see KPN or SVdL's times for recent years.

If you want your times to count for USMS, they will count. It is THE SWIMMERS responsibility to report the times to their top ten person. Rule of thumb: if a bulkhead is used, you must measure the pool at the END of the session of every swim, even if the pool is on file.

Another great resource is

http://www.njmasters.org/RecordsandTabDB/recordstabdb.html

for all things Top ten. There should be an excel file with the current pools.

swimshark
May 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I say go for it. I will be swimming in age group meets this summer, too. There aren't any masters LC meets here until after Nationals so age group it is for me. I've done 1 so far and the support was wonderful. Of course, I practice with the same age group team so the kids know me. It did feel a bit odd on the blocks towering over some of the girls but they got over it quickly. :lolup:

Oh and I'm in the same age group as you.

Rykno
May 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I have swam about 50/50 masters and open meets (17+ age group) for the past 2 yrs.

at first I was nervous the kids from my club would be embarassed, but they liked having me, it meant an extra relay team could be formed.

once I realized that I was far from coming in last, it made the choice easier. either swim in a few open meets or only race 2-3 times a yr. I like racing 4-8 times it gives me a chance to set short term goals as well as swim off events just for fun.

at my first meet I was introduced by the speaker as the oldest swimmer of the meet...made crowd aplaud (sp) and got a smile out of me

pwolf66
May 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
There aren't any masters LC meets here until after Nationals so age group it is for me.

Um, Colonies Zone LCM is mid-August at UMD. As soon as BP gets off the dime and gets the meet info out.

Paul

swimmieAvsFan
May 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
and that puts it the week *after* nationals this year...

swimshark- there is usually a LCM meet in the middle of july in DC (right now it's tentatively 20july) and there's also a new meet this year at UMBC on 9august...

pwolf66
May 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Hmm, guess I need to go back to school and learn how to read a calendar.

Paul

craig68
May 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
jmeyer,

I just got back into Masters swimming last summer after many years out of the water. I was disappointed to find that there aren't ANY USMS meets within a few hours of me. So I swam the 50 LCM freestyle in the Speedo Sectionals in March. Warm-ups were VERY weird. I was convinced that these teenagers were gawking at me, wondering why somebody's Dad jumped into the pool with them (I'm 39). But then I got over it and realized probably not one of them was paying any attention to me. Then, behind the blocks, listening to some tunes and jumping up and down with the rest of the swimmers before the race made me feel like a kid again! And the race went well.

I've since met a few more Masters swimmers that also ocassionally compete in local USA meets. I'm signing up for two more this summer. Both are within 15 minutes of me, and I'll be back at home to hang out with my kids by lunch time each day.

So, I say sign up and race those little buggers!

jeffkuykendall
May 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I say go for it . I swim with my sons USA swimming club and do a few age group meets a year. It's lots of fun, and a lot of times I win my age group (usually 19 and up, or as our local announcer likes to say, 19 and way up!) and get a cool ribbon or medal. I have nothing but positive responses from the other swimmers, parents and officials.

ande
May 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
yes you just need to:

1) register with a USS team and

2) enter the meet

some meets have qualifying times so you need to make the QTs

even if you don't have qt's sometimes you can
deck enter or time trial at meets

there's also a form you can fill out and
sign so your masters times will be sent to the USS data base
http://www.usms.org/reg/

you can also submit times from USS meets to be considered for top ten USMS

ande

swimshark
May 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hmm, guess I need to go back to school and learn how to read a calendar.

Paul

I agree!!

Mollie, thanks for the info. Guess I'll get in at least 1 LCM meet before Nationals. Not sure about the one on the 9th since Nationals is the next week.

imspoiled
May 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
and that puts it the week *after* nationals this year...

swimshark- there is usually a LCM meet in the middle of july in DC (right now it's tentatively 20july) and there's also a new meet this year at UMBC on 9august...

Can you let me know when you see the July meet info? That would be a good time for a LCM tune-up before Oregon. Thanks!

Big AL
May 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Go for it!!!

I do it whenever the USMS schedule doesn't do it for me.

If you are fast enough, trials/finals is a great way to refine your race strategy.