PDA

View Full Version : what percentage of swimmers competed in college?

mpmartin
May 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know the percentage of ex-college swimmers vs. non-college swimmers competing at Nationals? Also does anyone know the number or percentage of people new to swimming who have gone on to swim at Nationals?

Blackbeard's Peg
July 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
count me among the swimmers with
a) zero ncaa experience
b) zero USAS experience
that competed at Nationals

thewookiee
July 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
High School experience
USS experience
NCAA experience

MPohlmann
July 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm not new to swimming, but did not compete in college. There was no USAS when I was swimming as a kid. It was AAU. I have competed at several USMS Nationals.

CreamPuff
July 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Interesting question.
Would be great to have a stats section on this website.

Also would be interesting to note the % of swimmers who did not swim college and/ or USAS who have #1 National/ World Rankings and/ or National/ World Records.

Brian Stack
July 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I swam Junior and Senior years in High School. Then it was 18 years before I found USMS and I've competed at Nationals and World's. No top times or anything cool like that, but I'm having fun! :banana:

swimshark
July 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
USS (AAU back then) until age 14
High School

10 years off - no college

USMS for 8 years and this will be my 3rd Nationals.

david.margrave
July 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
USS
H.S.
No college swimming.

pwolf66
July 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
AAU/USA
High School
Post-Secondary swimming (not college)

knelson
July 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I think the question should be whether you competed well in college. You can't lump us hacks in with people who qualified for NCAAs.

SwimRobin
July 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
AAU, then USAS
High School
no college swimming
17 years off
USMS 5 years
one LCM Nationals
four SCY Nationals

thewookiee
July 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I think the question should be whether you competed well in college. You can't lump us hacks in with people who qualified for NCAAs.

How does one really define "well?" I didn't qualify for NCAA's but swam all lifetime best during my college career. So, I would say that I swam "well" during my college career.

I would say it might be better so ask "which college swimmers qualified for NCAA championships vs those that did swim in college"

some_girl
July 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I guess it depends on what one wants to know. As someone who did no competitive swimming before masters (and some wickedly fast teammates), I can assure you the difference between college and well in college is far smaller than the difference between college/USAS and neither.

And to answer the original query I have swam at three nationals.

Thrashing Slug
July 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Put me in the other percentage... the one with no competitive past, college or otherwise. I started swimming and competing in triathlons 4 years ago. My first swim meet was this year. I haven't swam at Nationals yet. I suppose I will when I reach an NQT in some event and/or the meet is held in WA again.

Donna
July 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I would be one of those use to swim AAU and first 2 years of college, never made it to NCAA champs but did go to Y Nats in 1980 for 50 and 100 Free. Then took 20+ years off, got fat, had kids, injured back and started swimming as rehab.

Have been swimming masters since fall 2004 after I saw all of the cars by our aquatic center and someone told me they were hosting masters nationals and when my doctor told me I needed to start exercising (back still spasming off and on) I decided there had to be a team to join so I did.

First Masters Nationals was Ft. Lauderdale in 2005 and have been to all of the SCY Nats since. First LCM Nats was last year and this year will be my second. The first 2 Nat's I could not even bend over enough to touch the block for the start. Now I am actually starting to be competitive again, don't think I still don't feel the back issues but they are no where near as bad as they were.

Have also started training with the kids team, my 10 year old son is also swimming now too. We even get to compete in the same meets since I swim both masters and USAS now.

SLOmmafan
July 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I did not compete in college, though I did have times that would have let me walk on to some programs from High School. At the time I figured no chance of a scholarship, unlikely that I would ever get fast enough to get into the NCAA Championships, and a lot of time taken away from my social life.

In retrospect (and I am only two years out of college) I wish I would have tried a few seasons. I quit year around (USAS) at age 15 and only swam high school/played water polo. Curious what I could have done with better training. Now I am trying to work back to my high school times with USMS and perhaps even get faster!

Michelina
July 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
USS experience
High School experience
Local college experience

tjrpatt
July 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
High School Experience(why did I waste my time!!!)
USS Swimming
One year of college(I didn't go back for the second year because I wasn't getting any scholarship money and I needed to work and focus on my studies than on swimming where I was swimming horribly at the time.)

Now, I do USMS and I love it. I never thought that I would ever do Masters swimming, let alone get back in the pool on a regular basis.

decent freestyler
July 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
10 yrs USS experience
high school experience (4 yrs overlap with USS)
no college exp
9 yrs later...hoping to join a masters program and start competing next yr, and go even faster than my lifetime bests in 2-3 yrs time.

imspoiled
July 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
High chool experience
No USS
No College

This will be my 4th Nationals, 2 SCY, 2 LCM.

knelson
July 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
How does one really define "well?" I didn't qualify for NCAA's but swam all lifetime best during my college career. So, I would say that I swam "well" during my college career.

I would say it might be better so ask "which college swimmers qualified for NCAA championships vs those that did swim in college"

Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. I swam my best times in college, too, but I was a very minor contributor on my team. There are lots and lots of swimmers with more talent than I have who chose not to swim in college.

Doug Adamavich
July 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Me:

USS (yeah, back in the day) until age 17
High School
College (Division III) all four years
Seven year break
USMS since 1999

One AZ State Record
Three National meets
Countless good times

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Me:

USS (yeah, back in the day) until age 17
High School
College (Division III) all four years
Seven year break
USMS since 1999

One AZ State Record
Three National meets
Countless good times

Doug,

Did you have relatives, that you know of, who went to Knox College in Galesburg, IL?

ddunbar
July 29th, 2008, 02:58 PM
AAU - 7 years
College - 1 year walk on at UT
USMS - 10 years - SCY Nats 1991 Austin
Sloth - 14 years
Currently dragging the body back into the pool.

Was competative in the AAU Sr. Circuit in 100 & 200 Breast in Texas (usually in top 10). Managed to qualify for the circuit in the 50 free also which then let me swim any event that I wanted to add at a Sr. meet. Did a 400 IM and qualified for TAGS (Age Group State) with the 100 fly split and the 400 time but somewhere along the way they dropped a piano on me - the free split was same as the breast split).

Walked on at UT in 1976 only to find that my room mate & I were #s 5 & 6 in the breast stroke ranks and #1 was a sophmore. This was the last semester of training at Gregory Gym (33 yards w bulkhead). Did get to score a couple of points for the team in conference qualifying meet, but did not make the conference squad. Coach suggested that I work towards a fly spot on the team. I dropped my 100 fly time below my best 100 free. After changing majors my sophmore year and looking at all the new talent, I decided to drop from the team.

Swam Masters from age 25 to 34 in Midland Tx and Austin (Sports Psych). Moved to Houston and just lost the desire to train.

Now much heavier and with a cardiologist on retainer, I am back in the pool again. Currently training on my own and working on building a base. Work has a travel component, so I am looking for locations to swim in West & South Texas and Eastern New Mexico.

Will I swim at a Nationals again? Don't know, I am about to age up into the 50 to 55 age bracket and I can see that attrition has narrowed the number of competitors. Right now I just want to get back ina regular 3k per session 4 x per week routine and see where I am at in a few months.

Don

swoomer
July 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Nada. No such opportunity back in the 60's Took a 40 year break from swimming and returned as an elder statesperson.

Swam in recreation programs and AAU competitions for four years as well as the GAA (Girls' Athletic Association) in high school where most of our racing was 25 yards.