ALM
May 9th, 2008, 11:55 PM
This one's for you, Aquageek...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/health/nutrition/08BEST.html

For Peak Performance, 3 Is Not Better Than 1
By GINA KOLATA
The New York Times
Published: May 8, 2008

WHEN Jenny Higgins started doing triathlons, she discovered something peculiar. She had been on her high school cross country and swim teams and her college swim team. But in 2003 she started running, swimming and cycling, and tried to excel in all three at once.

“I noticed that in the pool, my legs felt very heavy,” she said. “I was dragging my legs more than I used to and it hurt my swimming.”

Other times, she would swim fluidly but feel lifeless when she ran or cycled.

After five years as a multisport athlete, Ms. Higgins, now a 32-year-old postdoctoral research fellow at Princeton University, said the push-me-pull-you feeling has not gone away.

It made Ms. Higgins wonder something that may be on the minds of the nation’s more than 100,000 triathletes, too: Is it even possible to peak in more than one sport at once?.....

That Guy
May 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
"Professional triathletes tackle the challenge by training 30 hours a week."

Ever notice that athletes misrepresent maximum training volume as average training volume? And that the media always believes it?

aquageek
May 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I find it hard to peak in one, much less three.

I will admit to currently being at a 95 year old's peak running performance, on a good day, with a tail wind, and cops chasing me.

Slowswim
May 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I think of Triathlon as one event with five disciplines. Like any race its all about getting to the finish line first.

IMHO