PDA

View Full Version : Pools in London

Larry
May 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm going to be visiting London on business in a few days and am looking for a pool to get a workout in. I know there are some very good Masters Programs around, but it looks as though their workouts are offered at night - when I'm not going to be available. Anyone know of a good public facility that might be available to a traveling Yank?

Thanks!

SwimStud
May 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I'm going to be visiting London on business in a few days and am looking for a pool to get a workout in. I know there are some very good Masters Programs around, but it looks as though their workouts are offered at night - when I'm not going to be available. Anyone know of a good public facility that might be available to a traveling Yank?

Thanks!

Larry I don't know where you will be staying but most pools have adult lap swim times, best bet is get to your destination then look in the yellow pages, and make a few calls. If you're on the East side of town, St George's Bath's in Wapping has a 25 yard pool and lap swim times. Sout of the River on the East side, Seven Islands Leisure centre in Bermondsey had lap time too. Just an FYI many older pools in the UK are 33 & 1/3 yards long...so you may have to adjust your swim routine..that said...33 & 1/3 is a good distance to get into your stroke but not have to wait as long as you do in a 50 for the wall to arrive.

gshaw
May 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Larry,

There is a YMCA pool that isn't "great" but you can definitely get a work out. It is located about 3 blocks from the British Museum. I am sure you could look it up. If you are a Y member you can get five visits for no charge.

Good luck.

G Shaw

aztimm
May 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I posted a thread about swimming in London ~2 years ago:
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=6981&highlight=london

I ended up swimming with the Otter masters swim group (link on that page). They had several workouts, in pools all around the city.

Much of it depends on where you will be staying, how much you're willing to pay and travel, and when you're free.

Let me know if you need anything else.

TRYM_Swimmer
May 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I also suggest the Otter Swim Club. I lived in London for two 3-year periods and swam with them. They are a fun-loving bunch who practice hard and then go out for a pint at the local, They also have some interesting swims if you're there at the right time. One mile in the River Thames around Windsor, normally in July (Windsor Castle is visible the last couple hundred yards) and Half Mile in the same body of water near Henley of regatta fame, normally in August. Fun but CHILLY!