PDA

View Full Version : Place to swim in Burlington, VT?

smontanaro
May 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Is there a good place to swim in Burlington, VT? I'll be there the weekend of May 31 (my son will be a freshman at UVM this fall). I see there is a six-lane pool on campus (Forbush Natatorium) and it looks like the Burlington YMCA has a pool. Hopefully I can get in to swim at one of them. Is there a USMS team in town?

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

Brian Stack
May 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I found this in the Places to Swim listings (http://www.usms.org/lmsc/), it hasn't been updated in a while:
Burlington - Green Mountain Masters
New England LMSC
Greater Burlington YMCA
266 College Street Burlington, Vermont
Lap Swim / Workout Times:
Contacts: (802)862-9622
Record Last Updated: 3/12/99

smontanaro
May 19th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Yes, I was aware of that and noticed the last update was in 1999. That's part of the reason why I posted. Having been a YMCA member in the past I sort of assume I could show up at just about any YMCA during lap swim times, plunk down about $10, then hop in the pool. I am hoping to find a USMS team swimming in Burlington though...

Skip

matysekj
May 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi Skip,

Well, my daughter just graduated from UVM yesterday, but I have never swum in the state of Vermont - always too short a visit and too busy when I've been up here. I asked her about it and she said that a student can sign you in to swim at the UVM pool for $7. Looking through the swimnem.org places to swim listing, they show a Masters group at St. Michael's in Colchester at www.gmaswim.com . I couldn't find anything about a Masters group at that site except that one of the coaches bios (Jess) says that she's an avid Masters swimmer and trains with the group that she coaches. Since she coaches MW 5:15 - 7 PM, it sounds like that might be a Masters practice time.

smontanaro
May 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the pointer to GMA. Colchester is a bit far afield. I won't have a car this time 'round. Maybe I can talk them into letting me swim at the pool on campus.

Skip