PDA

View Full Version : Mini wet suit to help float

NWRunner
May 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Until two months ago I ran competitivly adding swimming a mile twice a week for cross training. I swam free style with a pull-buoy because I can't float well.

A knee injury ended my running abruptly. I have a frantic energy level and need to get a more robust pool workout. I would appreciate advice what types of flotation suits would add enough buoyancy to swim all strokes. I am not looking for an expensive, fancy or warm suit - just one that will hellp me float! Do with swim suit companies make these or do I have to go to a wet suit manufacturer.

I realize this suit would not be legal for pool compeitition. When I am better and faster, I will look at competing outside in a real wet suit.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

and I want to expand my pool training by adding some type of flotation suit.

Eventually I would like to compete outdoors where I can use a full wet suit to help me float.

GordonD
May 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I recommend evaluating the wetsuits designed for open water swimming or triathletes. But realize that there are lots of triathlon suits that can be used throughout all three sports. You would be looking specifically for a triathlon wetsuit.

There are lots of brands to choose from but you'll also find lots on E-bay. For freedom of motion, the sleeveless farmer john style that don't go over your knee might be best. Also pay close attention to the thickness. If you just want a little help on bouyancy, then 2-3mm should be fine. One example, if you want to do a Google search, is the Quintana Roo QuickJohn.

When fitting for these suits, you will want it to be fairly snug but not so tight as to restrict your breathing. You just don't want it to fill up with water that you have to carry.