PDA

View Full Version : USMS members competing at the Olympics Trials

Nancy Ridout
May 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Who are they?

You may have noticed that we're posting weekly news features at the top of the USMS home page. As we approach the trials, we'd like to run one on the trials and the Masters that have made the cuts and are competing.

If you know of someone who fits this profile, please respond and we'll let everyone know who, what events, and when to check their progress. :banana:

Thanks!

Nancy

ALM
May 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Nancy,

Here are a few that have been discussed on these forums:

Susan Von der Lippe, age 42
Kevin Doak, age 27
Dara Torres, age 41

ALM
May 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Here's one more (how could I forget him?):

Gary Hall, Jr., age 33

ALM
May 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Nancy,

Here are four more:

Brian Jacobson, age 34
Noriko Inada, age 29
Kohei Kawamoto (Kawanoto?), age 28
Jeff Dash, age 28

I found these by using a search tool on the USA Swimming web site. You can search for all swimmers who have made OT cuts in specific events. You can restrict your search by age, so I only searched for the older swimmers. I then looked up the names in the USMS meet results database to see whether they had swum in any Masters meets.

Anna Lea

Sam Perry
May 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Nick Brunelli

Bill Volckening
May 23rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
I have a feeling William Liscinsky will be there, too.

aztimm
May 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
So all of these swimmers actively workout with just a USMS team? Speaks volumes of the teams if that is the case.

Warren
May 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
So all of these swimmers actively workout with just a USMS team? Speaks volumes of the teams if that is the case.

no they don't, most of these swimmers are loosly affilated with masters swimming. They are more active in usa swimming.

Sam Perry
May 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
no they don't, most of these swimmers are loosly affilated with masters swimming. They are more active in usa swimming.

Hence the question I posed earlier on another blog and got blasted for it. What is a Masters Swimmer?

chowmi
May 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Anyone that pays their $37 (or whatever your LMSC charges). That is the official USMS swimmer. Included in the what, 43,000+ USMS headcount.

You could also belong to YMCA masters, but that's another organization. Or you could be a generic masters swimmer, like a lot of DAMM members who don't register USMS ('cause we have team insurance).

chowmi
May 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I found these by using a search tool on the USA Swimming web site. You can search for all swimmers who have made OT cuts in specific events. You can restrict your search by age, so I only searched for the older swimmers. I then looked up the names in the USMS meet results database to see whether they had swum in any Masters meets.

Anna Lea[/quote]

Uh, did I insert that quote right?

Still totally irked you can't search USA SWIMS for the 41+ crowd. Are the two ladies mentioned earlier the only 40+ OT qualifiers?

tjburk
May 23rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
If they are registered with US Swimming their times will be on there....but only their USS times.

Sam Perry
May 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Anyone that pays their $37 (or whatever your LMSC charges). That is the official USMS swimmer. Included in the what, 43,000+ USMS headcount.

You could also belong to YMCA masters, but that's another organization. Or you could be a generic masters swimmer, like a lot of DAMM members who don't register USMS ('cause we have team insurance).

Then probably Gary Hall, Nick Brunelli, and maybe even Dara Torres might be off the list.

quicksilver
May 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Masters swimmers by the true definition...

have two to three kids
a full time career or small business
chronic lingering pain in one or more limbs or lower back
spent at least ten or more years dry (no swimming whatsoever)
and maintain sporadic workout schedules due to all of the aforementioned criteria

Sam Perry
May 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM

have two to three kids
and maintain sporadic workout schedules due to all of the aforementioned criteria

AMEN!! Now we are getting somewhere!!

Midas
May 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM

have two to three kids

The only technically correct definition is chowmi's, but I like quicksilver's better in a way. Really, in my mind, your a masters swimmer if you consider yourself first and foremost to be a masters swimmer. Maybe Susan Von der Lippe is a masters swimmer by that definition and maybe some of these others are not.

That's not to take anything away from their abilities and accomplishments. They're all awesome swimmers! :bow:

quicksilver
May 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM
All kidding aside...a 20 something fresh out of NCAA competition is an entirely different animal than an adult athlete facing the challenges of life (kids or no kids).

Sooner or later the kids will be grown, and there's nothing holding anyone back except the chronic lingering pain and old age in general. :oldman:

gull
May 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hence the question I posed earlier on another blog and got blasted for it. What is a Masters Swimmer?

Sam, I believe you were alluding to the fact that a Masters world record in, say, the 45-49 age group is a true world record--no one else in the world has ever recorded a faster time in that age group, period. For some of the younger age groups that may or may not be the case. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Nancy Ridout
May 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Many thanks to all of you who have read this post, responded with names of Masters swimmers who will be competing in the US Olympic Trials, thought about what it means to be a Masters swimmer, and expressed your pride in being the best you can be no matter what your current circumstances.

Names I have now include Nick Brunelli, Jeff Dash (28), Kevin Doak (27), Gary Hall, Jr (33), Noriko Inada (29), Brian Jacobsen (34), Kohei Kawamoto (sp) (28), William Liscinsky, Eric Scalise (30), Dara Torres (41), and Susan Von der Lippe (42).

If you think of any other Masters swimmers who might have made the cuts please let us know. I expect the feature will run during the second or third weeks of June.

It's good to know where you can find the answers to current questions! Thanks to all of you!:applaud:

Nancy

waterman
May 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
i believe eric scalise (sp) from sierra nevada masters and robert Margalis from st. pete masters have also made the times.

meldyck
May 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Nancy,

I took the list of qualifiers from the USA Swimming site and correlated it with current and former USMS swimmers, using various tools available on our site.

Among CURRENTLY REGISTERED USMS swimmers, I found the following:

Dara Torres
Susan von der Lippe
Jeff Dash
Kevin Doak
Noriko Inada
William Liscinsky
Erik Scalise.

Swimmers who are qualified and have swum in USMS meets in the past but who don't seem to be current members are

Robert Margalis
Glenn Counts
Rachel Komisarz
Micha Burden
Allison Wagner
Lauren Hancock
Erika Erndl
Matthew Haupt
Atiba Wade
Gary Hall Jr
Nick Brunelli
Kohei Kawamoto.

Since this correlation was just done by eye (mostly picking out the old codgers from the USAS list) there are probably some omissions. However, in summary, I get 7 current USMS members and 12 former members competing at the Trials.

quicksilver
May 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Not that he's a USMS member, but you have to give props to Mark Foster who became the oldest British man to qualify for an Olympic swimming team at age 37.

From back in Jan 08...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/01/sobake101.xml

Just last month...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/apr/02/swimming1

SwimRobin
May 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Although he will not be competing at Olympic Trials, Daniel Farnham from Wildcat Masters in Kentucky has qualified to swim the 50 free.

knelson
May 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty sure she won't be competing at Olympic Trials in swimming this time, but wanted to put in a plug for Sheila Taormina. She's competed in USMS quite a bit, including 2006 Worlds where she kicked some serious butt. Anyway, this year she's trying to make the Olympic team in Modern Pentathlon. If she makes it she'll be the first athlete to ever compete in the Olympics in three different sports (swimming, triathlon and modern pent). Pretty cool, huh?

http://www.sheilat.com/

I saw this, though, at it looks like her spot on the team is in jeopardy due to some dubious dealings by USA Pentathlon: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/SPORTS17/805150404/1217/sports

chowmi
May 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Are we cheering for anyone who's also a masters swimmer? In the category of non-USA Swimming but Olympics bound (and currently USMS registered; she swam our SCY meet in Feb 2008!):

Martina Moravcova, Slovakia

http://www.martinamoravcova.com/index.html

One of my heros!

Midas
May 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't know if she's going to compete at trials, but Walnut Creek Masters' own Laura Davis swam qualifying times in the 100 and 200 butterfly.

ehoch
May 28th, 2008, 01:35 AM
You guys make it sounds like a handicap to belong to USMS.

That Guy
June 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure she won't be competing at Olympic Trials in swimming this time, but wanted to put in a plug for Sheila Taormina. She's competed in USMS quite a bit, including 2006 Worlds where she kicked some serious butt. Anyway, this year she's trying to make the Olympic team in Modern Pentathlon. If she makes it she'll be the first athlete to ever compete in the Olympics in three different sports (swimming, triathlon and modern pent). Pretty cool, huh?

http://www.sheilat.com/

I saw this, though, at it looks like her spot on the team is in jeopardy due to some dubious dealings by USA Pentathlon: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/SPORTS17/805150404/1217/sports
Looks like the shenanigans are over. Sheila's in the Olympics. It's not so good for Mickey Kelly though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=3435877