PDA

View Full Version : T-15 with fins?

coggel
May 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I'm a newbie with a quick question on Hines "Fitness Swimming." Should I wear the fins for the T-15 swim tests?

Here's a little background. I'm in good shape just new to swimming. I've been following the workouts pretty closely. I'm finishing the Blue workouts. My stoke per distance averages 12/25m without fins (those are individual strokes not cycles). I can get it down to 9 if I'm doing a lot of gliding. However my cruise times on the T-15 aren't improving.

Right now I'm doing the tests without fins. On most of the balance drills I use them. On the swim drills I generally don't. I thought I shouldn't be using them for the tests but at one point in the book Coach Hines seems to indicate it may be OK for newbs to do.

LindsayNB
May 23rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Short answer: No. :D

Longer answer: if you aren't happy with your speed you need to change how you swim not what equipment you use, that will only tell you how much faster you are with fins. What time do you take for 50m or 100m at 12spl? 12 spl is pretty low for a "newbie"!

Dolphin 2
May 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm a newbie with a quick question on Hines "Fitness Swimming." Should I wear the fins for the T-15 swim tests?

Here's a little background. I'm in good shape just new to swimming. I've been following the workouts pretty closely. I'm finishing the Blue workouts. My stoke per distance averages 12/25m without fins (those are individual strokes not cycles). I can get it down to 9 if I'm doing a lot of gliding. However my cruise times on the T-15 aren't improving.

Right now I'm doing the tests without fins. On most of the balance drills I use them. On the swim drills I generally don't. I thought I shouldn't be using them for the tests but at one point in the book Coach Hines seems to indicate it may be OK for newbs to do.

Hey Coggle
If you want fins, just wait until Speedo, Tyr, Nike, Adidas, etc. roll out their next generation of tech suits.

An employee in Speedo’s design lab provided me with a sneak preview of their next tech suit complete with fins: :bolt:

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/images/nature_conservation/grey_nurse_shark.jpg

From what I was told, management's idea was “What the Hell, let’s go all the way and design a costume that completely encapsulates the entire swimmer!!!”. :eek:

By the way, they even got Michael Phelps to wear their new suit and pose for a photo. That's actually him looking out through the eye holes!!!

Happy swimming -

Dolphin 2

Bill Volckening
May 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
If you plan to use your T-15 as a periodic test set, I suggest doing the swim the same way every time. That suggestion could include fins or not, but the purpose of a test set is to have a way of measuring your training progress. Doing it with fins one time and without fins the next time would defeat the purpose, so it's good to think about it before you get started.

SwimStud
May 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
The Hines book say you can do it with fins to get your Cruise time for swimming with fins. If you don't plan to swim the workouts with fins then best do T-15without.