PDA

View Full Version : Long course season

knelson
May 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Did my first long course workout this morning. Yes, it hurt, but it sure was nice to swim outside again! A bald eagle flew over the pool right before I jumped in.

Those of you who get to swim outside year round are lucky.

swimshark
May 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
An eagle sounds awesome!! We started LC 2 Saturdays ago. Sadly only on Sat so far (until school i out) and indoors. I love LC.

CreamPuff
May 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Sounds awesome! I've been swimming long course for a while now; however, it's indoors and not near as fun and beautiful as outdoors. 'Course, no need to worry about sun damage when indoors - the only bonus.

That Guy
May 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Eagles are rather intimidating up close. I had an encounter with one last week. I was biking down a rural road early in the morning. There was a bald eagle standing in the road, facing away from me, picking at some road kill. He heard me coming and went *whoosh* *whoosh* *whoosh* *whoosh* up into a tree overhead. In other words, I interrupted his breakfast and he got into an excellent position to attack me. I thought, "I'm sorry! Please don't dive bomb me!" He didn't, thankfully.

I haven't done any LCM training in 17 years, and haven't competed in LCM in 20 years. I have an LCM meet coming up... should be interesting to say the least!

mattson
May 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm enjoying the public LC pool in Meyrin, and I'm encountering a problem with backstroke. No lane lines + hidden pool "currents" + no flags = having to lean my head back a lot to make sure I'm still going in a straight line.

On the plus side, this might be the first year that I'll be ready for the Park Ridge 1500 in June, once I get back to the States.

tjrpatt
May 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I can't wait to do long course practices because the weather in Philly hasn't been feasible for long course swimming. The pool that I will be training isn't heated so we have to wait til next week when the temperatures finally get into the 80s and 90s on a regular basis. I am dying to get some long course training in. But, Philly doesn't have alot of long course pools around. One YMCA in my area tried to build one but got shot down because all the dumb parents complained about the traffic the pool would bring.

james lucas
May 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM
What heralded the start of my LCM season was a crow. It was my first LCM meet ever; as I broke the surface on the backstroke start, I was surprised to see – about 150 feet directly above me – a large black crow. It followed us, stroke for stroke, down the pool. Maybe crows have been up all along - and maybe I just never noticed them in the SCY pools. In any case, an eagle will get a lot of attention, but a crow doesn’t even create an excuse for poor pacing. In truth, I felt lost at sea – the last 50 of my 200 back was two seconds faster than my first, and I swam breast in the 200 IM almost as fast as back. Apparently, LCM is more than just SCY plus a bit.

Here’s the real news: the early-season meet featured three world records:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/18090.asp?q=Several%20Masters%20World%20Records%20 Fall%20at%20Santa%20Clarita%20Meet (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/18090.asp?q=Several%20Masters%20World%20Records%20 Fall%20at%20Santa%20Clarita%20Meet)

dorothyrde
May 27th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Sigh, I have to settle for 25 meters because the closest long course pool is 50 miles away. With temps overnight in the 40's, no outdoor pool has been warm enough. Maybe next week....

mctrusty
May 27th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I started outdoor LCM training a week and a half ago. This will be my first season ever doing long course. It's a welcome change, even though I'm finding out how much I miss those walls! My lats were fried after the 3rd workout.

ImFree
May 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I get to swim outdoors all year long. Its nice after my formative years mostly indoors. Some winter swims are quite challenging, when its 50 degrees and windy, walking.. I mean running back to the locker room. Summer brings the thunderstorms. Its a 50m pool too. However, now its LCM season, the management is not scheduling the masters team any LCM time. We actually have more LCM time at any other time of the year. argh... Summer kids programs get the priority. I'm ok with that, that's how I started. So, if I want any LCM time, its 5:30 - 7:00am (we usually train 6:30pm), on my own, navigating the lap swimmers. Got to get up early in the morning. At least I don't have to lather up with Bullfrog swimming before the sun comes up.