PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Swimming

Pages : [1] 2

ande
May 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM
BEIJING 2008 (http://en.beijing2008.cn/)
Games of the XXIX Olympiad
From the 8th August to 24th August 2008

RESULTS & START LIST (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/SW.shtml)

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/index.html

Swimming (http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/sports/swimming/index.shtml)

schedule (http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/schedule/)

USA Roster (http://usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&ItemId=2082&mid=2943)

http://en.beijing2008.cn/upload/OG_Schedule_080708/SW.xls

Beijing Time (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=33)

Austin Writer John Maher is writing a Beijing Blog
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/olympics/index.html

josh davis blog
http://readforthegold.blogspot.com

2 days to go

2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Swimming
Order of Events

Prelims At Night, Finals In The Morning

Sat 9 August 2008
18:30 Evening Session
Men's 400m Individual Medley - Heats
Women's 100m Butterfly - Heats
Men's 400m Freestyle - Heats
Women's 400m Individual Medley - Heats
Men's 100m Breaststroke - Heats
Women's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay - Heats

Sun 10 August 2008
10:00 Morning Session

Men's 400m Individual Medley Final
Women's 100m Butterfly Semifinal
Men's 400m Freestyle Final
Women's 400m Individual Medley Final
Men's 100m Breaststroke Semifinal
Women's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Final

Women's 100m Backstroke - Heats
Men's 200m Freestyle - Heats
Women's 100m Breaststroke - Heats
Men's 100m Backstroke - Heats
Women's 400m Freestyle - Heats
Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay - Heats

Mon 11 August 2008

Women's 100m Backstroke Semifinal
Men's 200m Freestyle Semifinal
Women's 100m Butterfly Final
Men's 100m Breaststroke Final
Women's 100m Breaststroke Semifinal
Men's 100m Backstroke Semifinal
Women's 400m Freestyle Final
Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Final

Women's 200m Freestyle - Heats
Men's 200m Butterfly - Heats
Women's 200m Individual Medley - Heats

Tue 12 August 2008

Women's 200m Freestyle Semifinal
Men's 200m Freestyle Final
Women's 100m Backstroke Final
Men's 100m Backstroke Final
Women's 100m Breaststroke Final
Men's 200m Butterfly Semifinal
Women's 200m Individual Medley Semifinal

Men's 100m Freestyle - Heats
Women's 200m Butterfly - Heats
Men's 200m Breaststroke - Heats
Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay - Heats

Wed 13 August 2008

Men's 100m Freestyle Semifinal
Women's 200m Freestyle Final
Men's 200m Butterfly Final
Women's 200m Butterfly Semifinal
Men's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal
Women's 200m Individual Medley Final
Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final

Women's 100m Freestyle - Heats
Men's 200m Backstroke - Heats
Women's 200m Breaststroke - Heats
Men's 200m Individual Medley - Heats
Women's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay - Heats

Thu 14 August 2008

Men's 200m Breaststroke Final
Women's 100m Freestyle Semifinal
Men's 200m Backstroke Semifinal
Women's 200m Butterfly Final
Men's 100m Freestyle Final
Women's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal
Men's 200m Individual Medley Semifinal
Women's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final

Men's 50m Freestyle - Heats
Women's 800m Freestyle - Heats
Men's 100m Butterfly - Heats
Women's 200m Backstroke - Heats

Fri 15 August 2008

Men's 50m Freestyle Semifinal
Women's 200m Breaststroke Final
Men's 200m Backstroke Final
Women's 200m Backstroke Semifinal
Men's 200m Individual Medley Final
Women's 100m Freestyle Final
Men's 100m Butterfly Semifinal

Women's 50m Freestyle - Heats
Men's 1500m Freestyle - Heats
Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay - Heats
Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay - Heats

Sat 16 August 2008

Women's 200m Backstroke Final
Men's 100m Butterfly Final
Women's 800m Freestyle Final
Men's 50m Freestyle Final
Women's 50m Freestyle Semifinal

Sun 17 August 2008

Women's 50m Freestyle Final
Men's 1500m Freestyle Final
Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final
Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final

Wed 20 August 2008

Women's 10km Marathon Swimming

Thu 21 August 2008

Men's 10km Marathon Swimming

knelson
May 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I just checked and Beijing is exactly 12 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time in the U.S. Finals will begin at 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, 7:00 p.m. Pacific.

I didn't think about it until today, but LC Nationals are at the same time as some of the swimming events at the Olympics.

ande
June 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Lazlo Cseh makes the 400 IM Olympic race a little more interesting

CANET, France, June 14. HUNGARY's Laszlo Cseh previous personal-best time was 4:09.59. He recently went 4:07.96,
Maybe Michael Phelps won't win by as much.

hofffam
June 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
The official Beijing site is terrible. I couldn't find any schedule of events. I suppose the NBC site will be the place to go.

ande
June 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
at this point it does suck
when I started this thread
I was searching for info and hoped to offer links and really couldn't find much
I'm sure that will change as the day draws near

The official Beijing site is terrible. I couldn't find any schedule of events. I suppose the NBC site will be the place to go.

ande
July 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
32 days to go
we now know who we're sending
It will be hre before we know it

US Roster (http://usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&ItemId=2082&mid=2943)

FlyQueen
July 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I just checked and Beijing is exactly 12 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time in the U.S. Finals will begin at 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time, 7:00 p.m. Pacific.

I didn't think about it until today, but LC Nationals are at the same time as some of the swimming events at the Olympics.

I had the same fear Kirk but then I realized that most of the people at Nationals would want to watch and if they don't I'll sit in my hotel room alone and watch.

WPSWIMS
July 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I hope NBC does not take a long commercial break during the 800 and 1500 free as they did during trials! That was annoying.
Will they have a TV at the pool in Oregon so we can watch during the meet?

dorothyrde
July 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I think most non-swimmers would find the 800 and 1500 boring events to watch on TV. Heck, I have fallen asleep when my own kid swam it. It is not the most exciting thing to watch, and I cannot blame them for taking breaks during it.

mattson
July 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I had the same fear Kirk but then I realized that most of the people at Nationals would want to watch and if they don't I'll sit in my hotel room alone and watch.

I'm guessing you didn't go to Savannah LCNationals, where they had a large TV set up near the warm-up pool. Healthy crowd around it.

FlyQueen
July 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Nope this is my second nationals, and first LCM Nationals. Mark, are you going?

knelson
July 8th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I think most non-swimmers would find the 800 and 1500 boring events to watch on TV. Heck, I have fallen asleep when my own kid swam it. It is not the most exciting thing to watch, and I cannot blame them for taking breaks during it.

There's no way they will show the entire race uninterrupted, but they should at least have the decency to show the race while they are on the air. At Trials they returned from commercial then gave a couple minute recap of the meet before returning to the live action in the pool.

I'm pretty confident both the 800 and 1500 will be exciting in Beijing.

Heck, they usually show the entire marathon on TV--with commercial breaks, of course.

3strokes
July 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
There's no way they will show the entire race uninterrupted, but they should at least have the decency to show the race while they are on the air. At Trials they returned from commercial then gave a couple minute recap of the meet before returning to the live action in the pool.

I'm pretty confident both the 800 and 1500 will be exciting in Beijing.

Heck, they usually show the entire marathon on TV--with commercial breaks, of course.

A few years back when Worlds was held in Montreal, they did show the entire 1500m (Grant Hackett was in it) with lots of underwater shots. There wasn't one dull moment. I myself am (Oh! OK. was) a sprinter but I enjoyed watching the longer -pool- events and follow the changes of the lead (as in Omaha) or the indisputable power of a Grant Hackett and his pace compared to others.

LindsayNB
July 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Watching Hackett go after the 800m WR in Montreal was definitely exciting!

It's interesting how the exact same visual experience can be amazing or boring based purely on the current WR...

ande
July 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
22 days to go

ande
July 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
16 days to go
any one getting pumped yet?

ande
July 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
scott spann interview
plus a funny story of someone who had a crush on Natalie C
http://swimming.flocasts.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046/70385-ive-never-swum-a-200-like-that

mctrusty
July 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
scott spann interview
plus a funny story of someone who had a crush on Natalie C
http://swimming.flocasts.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046/70385-ive-never-swum-a-200-like-that

I can see how someone could have a crush on her :).

ande
July 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
heard these recent training results by the US olympic mens team
they did 3 x 100's fast descend in racing suits
not sure of the interval but I'm sure they had lot's of rest

on the last one

Weber Gale 48.4

Jones 49.0

spann 1:00.3 100 br life time best

brendan 1:00.8

Peirsol 53.3

phelps 51.2 100 fl

ande
July 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Olympic Team Update:
Press Conference from Training Camp (7/24/2008)

National Team Head Coach and General Manager Mark Schubert, Head Men’s Olympic Coach Eddie Reese and Head Women’s Olympic Coach Jack Bauerle fielded questions from the press Wednesday about the progress of the U.S. Olympic Swimming Team at its training camp at Stanford University.

Here’s what they had to say:

What’s your general impression of training camp so far?
Schubert: We’ve had a terrific camp here at Stanford, great facilities. It’s been a terrific atmosphere for the staff to get to know the athletes, and for the athletes to get to know each other. We’ve had a lot of amazing head-to-head training between athletes who swim the same events, and also between athletes who don’t swim the same events. There’s a lot of enthusiasm, and everybody’s come in with a great attitude and worked very hard.

How is the men’s team shaping up?
Reese: They have done what most men’s teams have done in this situation. They have gotten together very well as a group, and the training has been at a level that you just don’t get to see until you get these types of athletes together. We have some people who in practice have gone lifetime bests. Luckily, we’re leaving (for our next training camp in Singapore on Friday), so we don’t leave all those good swims in the pool. We want to carry those good swims on to Singapore, and then on to Beijing.

How has the women’s team taken to training camp?
Bauerle: Exceptionally well I think. They have a natural competitive drive anyhow, but they go against each other here, and their level of training has gone up significantly. It’s pretty exciting to go to the pool every day. We know that we’re going to see something special each and every day, and it’s inspiring on both sides. It inspires the coaches and it inspires the athletes to see fast swimming, too. It’s been a terrific camp.

How do you control the training level so that there’s no burnout factor and the swimmers don’t end up leaving their best times in Palo Alto?
Bauerle: You have to be a little bit careful, so basically we just cycle it so there are days were competitive situations are not there, where we can do a little bit more moderate work and technique work and things like that. Being the athletes they are, they like to compete in everything they do. It’s up to us to temper the workouts a little bit. But there’s just so much of that that you can do. Eddie: You’ve got to realize that it’s a lot better to be going fast than it is to be going slow at this time.

Is there anyone in particular who has surprised you or is standing out at camp right now?
Reese: There have been a number of guys who have been right on (their lifetime bests). The winner of the 200 breaststroke at our Trials, Scott Spann, last week did three descending 100s on about 10 minutes rest and descended to his fastest 100-meter breaststroke time, and then today did the same thing and went even faster. In the last four months, he’s been the fastest improving swimmer in the breaststroke events in the country, maybe in the world. He just keeps improving, and we’re not going to stop him.

Bauerle: On the ladies’ side, I think there’s been improvement right across the board. We’ve had their home coaches visit, and they’ve been really impressed with how their athletes are doing. We’ve had some exceptional swims. Margaret Hoelzer was real good yesterday in a couple sets in backstroke—something you could definitely write home about. Katie Hoff’s been really good every day, but generally the level of swimming has been great. The idea of this camp is to improve. Congratulations on making the team, but improve to do even better.

What is the key to the United States’ success in coming together as a team in so little time?
Reese: Before they get to the Olympic team, they’ve got to go to Trials, and their focus is on themselves and making the team. After that, it seems like once they are all focused on the Olympics, we’ve got this tremendous tradition of USA Swimming going to the Olympics and being – if not THE dominating force – then one of the dominating forces. Now they’re all focused on doing well at the Olympics, and they’re helping each other. That just leads to a fast connection for a team. I’ve seen teams get together in four or five days, because it’s USA Swimming.

Bauerle: I think it’s sort of a history that we have in USA Swimming, but it’s also not an accident how it happens. As Eddie said, they were so focused on themselves making the team, and once they’re here, they’re on the team with a lot of others with a whole different goal. Anyone who’s been involved with team championships and winning team championships knows there’s strength in numbers, and when everybody’s on the same page, that’s how you win.

What are some of the most challenging aspects in bringing the team together?
Schubert: I think we’ve tried to do a good job over the years of preparing athletes to work with new coaches, and also preparing coaches to work with other people’s athletes. Although a lot of the coaches have athletes on the team, they are well aware of the egos and competitiveness. We’re learning here at the camp, but we’re also fortunate that we have an experienced team. Not everybody is experienced in the Olympics, but a number of people who have competed at the World Championships and Pan Pacs, so a lot of these people know each other. It’s just amazing, like Eddie said, how the newcomers – people who are not as experienced – are quickly assimilated and accepted, and I think it’s a kind of cultural thing that they learn from each other. We have such positive leadership right now from our older and more experienced athletes. I think it does make it easier on the coaching staff.

There’s looking to be quite a rivalry brewing between the U.S. women and Australia. After seeing everything at camp, what’s your take on that?
Bauerle: I still view us as an underdog, but I think we certainly feel better than we did before Olympic Trials. We try not to focus just on Australia because the challenges are coming from everywhere. There are a host of countries that have exceptional performers. The biggest thing for us is to improve and improve and improve. We have to, because no one is sitting still, either. I would say we’re still in the underdog role, and we view ourselves as such, but we also feel very confident that we can swim fast.

Do you think you have any surprises coming against some of these strong teams like Australia?
Bauerle: Yes. I don’t think there are many surprises, really. If you’ve been around this sport long enough, you don’t get surprised too much if you watch them in the water before they swim. I think we can swim better than people anticipate, and if we do that, we’re fine. You can’t control others; we can only control our own situation, but I think we can swim better than what people see on paper.

How much pressure is there on Michael Phelps headed into these Games, and would it surprise you if he didn’t handle the pressure the way he’s capable of?
Reese: If they gave black belts for handling pressure, he’s about a sixth-degree black belt. You need to know that he’s been in pressure situations so much, he’s been desensitized to a point. He is a genius at handling every type of situation, and I love to listen to him talk about it afterwards. He’s just matter-of-fact about the whole thing. He knows what he’s going to get. He handles it and moves on.

Schubert: My comment about Michael is he really does a wonderful job at taking one day at a time and attacking whatever’s in front of him for that day. Today at breakfast, he walked by me and said, “Two more days, and we’re home free.” What that meant was, he’s just thinking about practice. He didn’t sound like he was thinking about any pressure about racing in the Olympics at all. He was just thinking about practice.

Can you give us an update on Eric Shanteau and how he’s handling everything physically and mentally?
Reese: Eric has handled this whole situation better than our coaching staff has. We were more worried than he was. He just got the last blood work that will be taken here, and he’s in great shape. They’ve given him the go-ahead to go on to (our training camp in) Singapore and Beijing, basically with no worries. He’s an over-worker. He always works harder than you want, more often than you want. He’s been working great. We did a set today that put him in a better position than he was going into Trials, and he’s further away from the discovery of his cancer. The heat of the moment has been diminished, so he’s focusing more on his swimming now than ever before, and he’s in great shape.

Can you give us an update on Dara Torres?
Bauerle: She’s actually been great at this camp. She’s a heck of a role model in many ways, and she lives the lifestyle of being an elite athlete every day and every minute. I think it’s a really good thing for our younger athletes to be around her. I just heard one of our athletes say just yesterday that Dara’s her favorite person on the team. That’s a good thing, because you want your best ones to be your favorite people. She’s been a real plus for the whole camp, really. She comes in and gets her job done. She’s impressive in the water, and she’s impressive when she’s doing dryland. You can see why she is where she is.

Have you done anything to prepare yourself at this camp for the morning finals?
Bauerle: We have. We’ve tried to have a lot of fast swims in the morning. We also are on a very good schedule here that compels all the athletes to get up very close to the time we would be getting up to get ready to go for finals over there. We have a pretty early morning practice at 7, and they eat breakfast before, so most of the athletes are getting up by 6. We have a pretty good schedule where that’s just the norm right now, but a lot of the fast work we try to do in the morning.

http://www.usaswimming.org/usasweb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=80&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&ItemId=2135&mid=1707

ande
July 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
reese news
http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=215653

ande
July 30th, 2008, 01:21 PM
8 days to go

USMSarah
July 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm totally excited. I'm going to be glued to the TV the entire 2 weeks.

ALM
July 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM
This is a great feature from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/07/29/sports/playmagazine/20080803_ICONS_FEATURE.html#

"After the Games" - Eight Olympic legends discuss their greatest athletic moments and life after competition.

There are audio clips from each of the eight athletes:
John Carlos
Nadia Comaneci
Mary Decker-Slaney
Bruce Jenner
Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Olga Korbut
Greg Louganis
Mark Spitz

I found the interview with Mary Decker to be especially interesting. In it she explains why she fell in the 1984 Olympics. She says that it wasn't Zola Budd's fault; it was actually her (Decker's) fault.

new
July 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
This is a great feature from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/07/29/sports/playmagazine/20080803_ICONS_FEATURE.html#

NICE!

ALM
July 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Another good New York Times article - read the last paragraph...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/sports/olympics/30gender.html?_r=1&ref=olympics&oref=slogin

July 30, 2008
A Lab Is Set to Test the Gender of Some Female Athletes
By KATIE THOMAS

By the time they arrive in Beijing, most athletes have resigned themselves to the possibility of undergoing a battery of tests for banned substances, like anabolic steroids and certain cough medicines.

But some female athletes may find they are asked to submit to an entirely different examination — one that will test whether they are, in fact, women.

Organizers of the Beijing Olympics have set up a sex-determination laboratory to evaluate “suspect” female athletes, the official Chinese news agency Xinhua reported Sunday. The lab is similar to ones set up at previous Olympics in Sydney and Athens, and will draw on the resources of the Peking Union Medical College Hospital to evaluate an athlete’s external appearance, hormones and genes.

Some medical ethicists have said the practice is too intrusive. “Real people are going to be hurt by this,” said Alice Dreger, an associate professor in medical humanities and bioethics at Northwestern University.

“Real Olympic athletes who have spent their whole life waiting for this moment.”

Although only athletes whose gender has been questioned will be tested in Beijing, the lab is a relic of an earlier Olympic era, when every female athlete was required to submit to a sex-verification test before competing in the Games. The tests emerged in the 1960s, when the Soviet Union and other Communist countries were suspected of entering male athletes in women’s events to gain an edge.

At first, women were asked to parade nude before a panel of doctors to verify their sex. At the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, officials switched to a chromosomal test.

The tests never unmasked a man posing as a woman, but they did turn up several athletes who were born with genetic defects that made them appear — according to lab results, at least — to be men. In 1967, the Polish sprinter Ewa Klobukowska was barred from the sport because she failed the chromosomal test, even though she had passed the nude test a year earlier. In the 1980s, the Spanish hurdler Maria José Martínez Patino was disqualified because the test revealed, to her surprise, that she was born with a Y chromosome. Her eligibility was reinstated in 1988.

The practice came under increasing criticism in the 1990s by doctors, scientists and athletes who argued that the tests were not just invasive, but were also bad science. During the 1996 Atlanta Games, eight athletes failed the test, but all were later cleared of suspicion because it was determined that they had a birth defect that did not give them an unfair advantage.

“It was an unethical, unscientific and discriminatory practice,” said Arne Ljungqvist, the chairman of the International Olympic Committee’s medical commission and one of the most outspoken critics of the testing.

In 1999, Ljungqvist helped abolish the blanket testing of women, but international competitions have continued to rely on sex-verification tests in isolated instances.

“We must be ready to take on such cases should they arise,” Ljungqvist said. “Sometimes, fingers are pointed at particular female athletes, and in order to protect them, we have to be able to investigate it and clarify.”

Two years ago, middle-distance runner Santhi Soundarajan of India was stripped of her silver medal at the Asian Games after failing a verification test. Ljungqvist said an official who observed Soundarajan during the mandatory urine test for doping questioned her sex, and she later refused to submit to a more thorough exam.

Although the verification test has changed to adapt to new scientific understandings about gender — athletes are now evaluated by an endocrinologist, gynecologist, a geneticist and a psychologist — critics say the test is based on the false idea that someone’s sex is a cut-and-dried issue.

“It’s very difficult to define what is a man and what is a woman at this point,” said Christine McGinn, a plastic surgeon who specializes in transgender medicine.

Because of a range of genetic conditions, people who look like women may have a Y chromosome, while people who look like men may not, she said. Many times, the people do not learn of the defects until they reach adulthood. “It gets really complicated very quickly,” McGinn said.

Despite decades of rigorous testing of women athletes, only one known case of gender cheating exists in the history of the modern Olympics — and it was not uncovered by a sex-determination test.

In 1936, a German athlete named Dora Ratjen finished fourth in the women’s high jump. Twenty years later, Ratjen disclosed that he was in fact Hermann Ratjen, and that the Nazis had forced him to compete as a woman.

USMSarah
July 31st, 2008, 12:37 AM
Team captains have been chosen... not surprised! Great picks!

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=1&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&ItemId=2148&mid=2943

KeithM
July 31st, 2008, 02:28 AM
Another good New York Times article - read the last paragraph...

Probably the most famous case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82awa_Walasiewicz

ande
July 31st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Phelps, face of the Games, also mug of corporate empire

http://www.kansascity.com/495/v-print/story/726926.html

USMSarah
July 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
I didn't know that Coughlin was engaged...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-swimmingcoughlindc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

3strokes
July 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I have to (try to remember and) go buy several 10hr Videos. (Yes, I'm that far behind. No TIVO.)

elise526
July 31st, 2008, 10:52 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-swimmingcoughlindc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Thanks for the article, USMSarah! I did not know. Hooray for Natalie! It is hard not to love her.

ALM
July 31st, 2008, 10:53 PM

I'm ready. The 40" Sony LCD arrived on Tuesday. It's quite a step up from the old 1994, 27" Zenith console TV!

The straw that broke the camel's back came when I was watching the Tour de France and I couldn't read the "miles to go" figure in the lower-left corner of the screen. Turns out it wasn't my eyesight; it was the TV.

ande
August 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM
a week to go

nice interviews and videos

Garrett Weber Gale
The Face of American Sprinting
http://www.floswimming.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046-olympic-team-training-camp/70798-the-face-of-american-sprinting

Workouts from training camp
http://www.floswimming.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046-olympic-team-training-camp/70461-olympic-team-workouts

Hansen
something to prove
http://www.floswimming.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046-olympic-team-training-camp/70547-something-to-prove

Natalie
http://www.floswimming.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046-olympic-team-training-camp/70593-the-veteran

Dara
http://www.floswimming.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234046-olympic-team-training-camp/70657-5-rings-5-times

ALM
August 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Interesting how China's pollution is going to affect our supply of Vitamin C...

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/730642.html

Olympics take a healthy bite out of your wallet
By MIKE McGRAW
The Kansas City Star
August 2, 2008

How are the Beijing Olympics contributing to a worldwide shortage of vitamin C?

In their efforts to curb air pollution for the upcoming games, the Chinese shut down manufacturing plants in and around Beijing — including cutbacks at factories producing 80 percent of the world’s ascorbic acid, more commonly known as vitamin C....

....“That is not good,” said Jeanne Drisko, a doctor at the University of Kansas Medical Center. “I have a lot of patients getting vitamin C, and this is very scary to me.”

So how did this happen?

The Chinese have been cornering the market on ascorbic acid for years, experts say, and now four of the five remaining producers are near the smog-shrouded Chinese capital.

The recent factory shutdowns — part of an effort to reduce pollution from coal-fired power plants — only worsened what Leo Hepner calls “a severe global shortage of ascorbic acid.”

Hepner, a London-based food and nutrition consultant, said the Chinese in recent years had dumped ascorbic acid on the world market and sold it for much less than it had cost to produce. That in turn drove out most of the competition.

The only remaining producer outside China is Netherlands-based DSM. Its plant in Scotland is running at capacity and still cannot meet world demand, said DSM’s Martijn Adorf....

....As for the Chinese, Hepner said, “they have almost destroyed the global citric acid business — even before they have won their first gold medal in the Olympic Games.”

ande
August 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Looks like MEL is gonna vlog about bejing
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27918524883

ALM
August 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Article and video about Kate Ziegler, from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/25/AR2008072502947.html

Iwannafly
August 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Did you see the Phelps/Spitz comparison on the ESPN Olympics blog (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olympics&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1)? It was quite entertaining only because they gave the edge to Spitz in the mustache department.

ALM
August 4th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Good article about Ian Crocker:

Crocker Enjoying His Ride to Beijing
By KAREN CROUSE
The New York Times
Published: August 4, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/04/sports/olympics/04swimmer.html?_r=1&ref=olympics&oref=slogin

ande
August 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Michael Phelps trains in 'Water Cube' for first time
http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/swimming/n214505054.shtml

ande
August 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
link to Beijing Time
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=33

12 hours ahead of eastern time

13 hours ahead of central time

14 hours ahead of mountain

15 hours ahead of pacific time

tjrpatt
August 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM

I totally blocked that from my mind until I just read your post. Then again, she is way out of my league.

ehoch
August 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
We are probably not going to be able to see all the prelims for the Olympics. Which prelims would you have liked to watch ? With the semi-finals, prelims have become a little boring, but there are still some very deep events, where we may see some surprises in the morning ahhhh evening.

For me, I would love to see both of the 400 Free prelims. Both events are just loaded. I can see both of the US boys winning a medal and I can also see one of them missing the final.

Midas
August 5th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Did everybody download the free Olympics preview from Swimming World? It's really quite good. It even has an article on the top 10 Olympic moments by our very own Jeff Commings. There's a link to it on their website: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/ Look for the magazine cover on the left with Phelps on it and "Free Dowload" below it.

USMSarah
August 5th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I totally blocked that from my mind until I just read your post. Then again, she is way out of my league.

I thought a few hearts may have been broken when they read that.

;)

ande
August 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Olympic Team captains selected (7/30/2008)

Dara Torres Five-time Olympian (Los Angeles, Calif.),
Amanda Beard four-time Olympian (Irvine, Calif.) and
Natalie Coughlin two-time Olympian and world record-holder (Vallejo, Calif.) were selected as the women’s team captains for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Swim Team.

On the men’s side, three-time Olympians
Erik Vendt (North Easton, Mass.)
Jason Lezak (Irvine, Calif.), and
Brendan Hansen two-time Olympian and world record-holder (Havertown, Pa.) were selected as captains.

Team captains were selected by a team vote at the team’s domestic training camp in Palo Alto, Calif., last week.

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know who the flagbearer is going to be for team USA at the Opening Ceremonies?

My money's on Dara.

ande
August 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Naturalized Sudanese Lomong to be US flagbearer - 1 hour ago

Now he'll be carrying the flag for his adopted nation, leading the US Olympic team at opening ceremonies

Does anyone know who the flagbearer is going to be for team USA at the Opening Ceremonies?

My money's on Dara.

ehoch
August 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Lomong has an amazing story, but flagbearer ?

I am not American - but I am a little surprised by this choice. I would go for an Olympic Great to lead the team into the stadium.

ehoch
August 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Well - if this is true, I really would not like this choice. You should "campaign" for this -- what's next, run a commercial or attack ads ?

"Earlier this week, the 23-year-old Lomong said he was mounting a campaign to be nominated by the track and field team for the flagbearer's position. He said the honor would be memorable, but he also was thrilled to be part of the democratic process that might get him there.

"In America, everyone has a chance to do all these things," Lomong said. "You follow the rules, people will choose, and if I'm blessed to get that opportunity, I'll get it."

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I agree w/ ehoch - I would have preferred to see a USA Olympic legend leading our team on. I also found it funny about the campaigning. Sheesh.

Daaaave
August 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure few swimmers march in the OCs as they take place so soon before competiton.

Plus, having someone who basically escaped to the U.S. and is taking advantage of the opportunities to the fullest carry the flag seems as appropriate as having an "olympic legend" do so. The whole "give us your tired, your poor, etc." theme comes to mind.

Finally, the nod to the Sudan/China issue can't be ignored here. I'd argue that Lomong-as-flagbearer is appropriately subtle: nothing needs to be spoken, and it's ultimately a positive manifestation of the issue amidst all the condemnation/finger-wagging, etc.

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Plus, having someone who basically escaped to the U.S. and is taking advantage of the opportunities to the fullest carry the flag seems as appropriate as having an "olympic legend" do so. The whole "give us your tired, your poor, etc." theme comes to mind.

That's a fine point, but I'm sure we all can agree to disagree. I would have personally like to have seen someone like Torres doing it because this is truly a unique Olympics for her - and possibly her last.

aquageek
August 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM
That's a fine point, but I'm sure we all can agree to disagree. I would have personally like to have seen someone like Torres doing it because this is truly a unique Olympics for her - and possibly her last.

They almost selected her until they turned off the lights during a team meeting and she glowed so they figured caution was appropriate.

USMSarah
August 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
They almost selected her until they turned off the lights during a team meeting and she glowed so they figured caution was appropriate.

You are on today! :laugh2:

Iwannafly
August 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
You are on today! :laugh2:
I agree with Sarah, the Geek is in rare form today!

ande
August 7th, 2008, 02:28 PM
17 hours to go

there's been some news about emily silver
she had had hand surgery in July
look at what she went through (ouch)
look at all those bone screws in her xrays
http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/galleryid=151101.html

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/aug/06/catching-up-with-kitsaps-olympians/

she recently swam a time trial and proved her readiness
http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=181238.html#silver+passes+test

ande
August 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
On the march

Of the 43 swimmers on the U.S. team,
eight will march in the Opening Ceremony. Only those swimming later in the week are willing to spend six hours on their feet on Friday. That includes Eric Shanteau, Scott Spann, Ricky Berens, Dave Walters, Caroline Burckle, Christine Marshall, Chloe Sutton and Mark Warkentin.

Ben Wildman-Tobriner, who swims Sunday, said it wasn't worth the risk.
"If I miss something by one tenth, I'll wonder whether it was because of that," he said.

Garrett Weber-Gale, whose first race likely will be Monday in Beijing, said he wouldn't be able to enjoy himself if he went. "I'd just be thinking about how I should be resting and shouldn't be there," he said.

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure few swimmers march in the OCs as they take place so soon before competiton.

Deleted because Ande is quicker on the draw than I am!

Iwannafly
August 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
On the march

Of the 43 swimmers on the U.S. team,
eight will march in the Opening Ceremony. Only those swimming later in the week are willing to spend six hours on their feet on Friday. That includes Eric Shanteau, Scott Spann, Ricky Berens, Dave Walters, Caroline Burckle, Christine Marshall, Chloe Sutton and Mark Warkentin.

Ben Wildman-Tobriner, who swims Sunday, said it wasn't worth the risk.
"If I miss something by one tenth, I'll wonder whether it was because of that," he said.

Garrett Weber-Gale, whose first race likely will be Monday in Beijing, said he wouldn't be able to enjoy himself if he went. "I'd just be thinking about how I should be resting and shouldn't be there," he said.

Dangit Ande, you beat me to the punch!

USMSarah
August 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
17 hours to go

there's been some news about emily silver
she had had hand surgery in July
look at what she went through (ouch)
look at all those bone screws in her xrays
http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/galleryid=151101.html

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/aug/06/catching-up-with-kitsaps-olympians/

she recently swam a time trial and proved her readiness
http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=181238.html#silver+passes+test

Ouch is right! The xrays say it all. She has broken her hand 3 times on finishes - the girl must be punching the wall (or needs some contacts).

I can't believe that only 8 swimmers are going to be in the OC (I do understand, I hear it is a long day)... oh well - I'm sure quite a few of them will go to the closing ceremonies.

elise526
August 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Torres represents everything that other countries despise about our culture. Lomong much better represents the things that make this country so great.

Edit - What is said here about Dara appears much harsher than I intended it to be. Dara is admired and respected by many. In light of our relations with certain other countries right now, I just thought Lomong was the best choice.

Chris Stevenson
August 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Torres represents everything that other countries despise about our culture.

Can you elaborate? I lived abroad for 3 years and my mother is an immigrant, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

smontanaro
August 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Well - if this is true, I really would not like this choice. You should "campaign" for this -- what's next, run a commercial or attack ads?

I thought that seemed kind of weird too. In the US when we hear "campaign" in this sort of context I think most of us would think of a member of congress campaigning to get a choice committee post or congressional leadership position. Then I read Phil Hersh's column (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-07-hersh-olympicsaug07,0,5890371.story) in the Chicago Tribune today and it began to make more sense. It sounds more like the rest of the team was thumbing their nose at the USOC for not standing up for Joey Cheek, co-founder of Team Darfur (http://teamdarfur.org/) whose visa China recently revoked. Lopez Lomong is also a member of Team Darfur.

Skip

Iwannafly
August 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Torres represents everything that other countries despise about our culture. Lomong much better represents the things that make this country so great.
Wow, that's a huge statement. I would love to hear you expound on this idea some.

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Torres represents everything that other countries despise about our culture.

WOW. I would love to hear your explanation of why you said this.

DaveS
August 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Wow, what's with all the hate? I think the Fong sisters might disagree with you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/sports/olympics/08shooting.html#

The Fortress
August 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
WOW. I would love to hear your explanation of why you said this.

It will probably just involve judgment and stereotyping.

ande
August 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
opening ceremonies has started
http://en.beijing2008.cn/ceremonies/headlines/openingceremony/s214516088/index.shtml

ande
August 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
coughlin story
http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=183953.html#comfortably+coughlin

richabrahams
August 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Swiiming heats link

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/SW.shtml

ehoch
August 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Heat sheets -- I guess you can just look at the world rankings and figure it out - but it's still cool to see.

Surprises ?

- Thought Klochkova is swimming, but I did not see her in the 400 IM
- we forgot about the Chinese, there is a 14 year old girl at 4:37 in the 400 IM and a 16 year boy at 3:47 . Interesting also, that they did not feel all their spots - for example no Chinese in the Men's 400 IM
- only 2 relay heats - I know they cut it down to 15 teams, but it's still starnge to look at

Best prelims: 400 Free - are you kidding me. You are going a 3:48 and you don't get into the fast heats, meaning there are 24 people ahead of you ? I think people will have to go 3:45.0 to make finals, 3:44 to be safe.

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It will probably just involve judgment and stereotyping.

Now, now Fort. You know better than that. You know the old saying about assumptions, don't you? Didn't some people make a judgment about what Amanda was doing? All opinions on here count even if they are not popular and not yours.

aquageek
August 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM

I don't understand this at all. If you set aside your feeling about Torres and the doping stuff, what she has done is just as American and Lomong. Both certainly have found the US to be a land of second chances. Maybe tjburk's hero Hardy can find some second chances herself after she litigates her way out of her doping suspension.

quicksilver
August 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Swiiming heats link

The Olympic swimming schedule at the Beijing Games will have finals in the morning and prelims in the evening (http://swimming.about.com/od/olympics/a/amolympicfinals.htm) sessions. How this plays out will be interesting - will swimmers be able to go their best performances in the morning? The fastest swimmer at night might not be the gold medalist in the morning.

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Wow, what's with all the hate? I think the Fong sisters might disagree with you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/sports/olympics/08shooting.html#

No, hate here. Ask any European how they can spot an American tourist 100 yards away and you will have your answer. Also, think about why we've been attacked by terrorists and you will have your answer. These things that cause others to not like Americans are not necessarily bad.

Rich woman that is real vocal? She will be adored by many but despised by many as well. It's hard to despise somebody that was taken from his family, lived in a refugee camp for 10 years, came to America to escape the dangers of his situation, and has made something of himself.

And as I mentioned before, the same reason that Dara would not receive a popular reception if she ran for President of our country may likewise be a factor. I should add that I love Amanda, but for the same reasons I mention about Dara, I'd rather see Lomong carrying the flag.

chaos
August 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
No, hate here. Ask any European how they can spot an American tourist 100 yards away and you will have your answer. Also, think about why we've been attacked by terrorists and you will have your answer. These things that cause others to not like Americans are not necessarily bad.

Rich woman that is real vocal? She will be adored by many but despised by many as well.

huh???????

are you saying dara = imperialistic, loud, arrogant, hypocritical bully?

i would disagree.

ehoch
August 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM
You guys are getting into politics -- they will shut this thread down - so let's keep it to the sport, pretty please

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM
You guys are getting into politics -- they will shut this thread down - so let's keep it to the sport, pretty please

Yeah, especially comparing being the flagbearer to running for president.

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah, especially comparing being the flagbearer to running for president.

Both are supposed to be a representation of our country, and I don't think it is political to see the common ground. There are certain things you want in somebody that is to represent our country.

quicksilver
August 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Re: 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Swimming:cheerleader:

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Both are supposed to be a representation of our country. No politics involved. There are certain things you want in somebody that is supposed to be representing our country.

No politics in running for president. Right.

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Re: 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Swimming:cheerleader:

:banana:

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Here's what Janet Evans said in one of her recent Yahoo articles:

"While my 800-meter world record will most likely be broken in Beijing – thanks in part to the LZR Racer – I believe that the suit is a great advancement for swimming. It brings our sport interest, excitement and fast times – and that’s certainly nothing to complain about."

I guess it would be cool to think what she would have done in a LZR when she was swimming that 800.

knelson
August 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I don't know if this has already been covered, but it looks like some of us won't get to see finals live, at least not on NBC. I just noticed coverage doesn't start until 8 p.m. tomorrow, so those of us in Pacific time will not get to see the events live!

Good thing I get CBC. Here's their schedule for tomorrow:
3-9 a.m. (CBUT) Swimming; Women's soccer: Canada vs. China; Women's volleyball
10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (CBUT) Highlights
3-9 p.m. (CBUT) Women's gymnastics; Swimming finals; Beach volleyball
9-midnight (CBUT) Women's gymnastics; Women's diving: synchronized finals

Now that's coverage! Why can't NBC do that? The other advantage of CBC is you don't have to listen to Bob Costas.

elise526
August 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
No politics in running for president. Right.

Sure it is but so was the selection of the flag bearer, so it is a valid comparison. Discussion of WHO was chosen as flagbearer is somewhat crossing into the line of being political as we both did. ehoch is right. Comparing the flagbearer to running for president in of itself is not political.

Let's move on - it's only my opinion.

tjburk
August 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know if this has already been covered, but it looks like some of us won't get to see finals live, at least not on NBC. I just noticed coverage doesn't start until 8 p.m. tomorrow, so those of us in Pacific time will not get to see the events live!

Now that's coverage! Why can't NBC do that? The other advantage of CBC is you don't have to listen to Bob Costas.

I just looked up my old area in So Cal and it is going to be on NBC there....why wouldn't it be on where you are?

Just looked it up...it will be on KHQ NBC starting at 3:30 PST

knelson
August 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
It is on NBC, I just suspect they won't show finals until the prime time slot and that starts at 8 p.m. here.

edit: going back and looking at the schedule it appears that finals start at 10 p.m. Eastern time, so that would be 7 p.m. Pacific. Since NBC daytime coverage ends at 6 p.m.there's no way they can show finals live here.

tjburk
August 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
They start at 3:30 PST on KHQ

knelson
August 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM
The NBC affiliate in Seattle (King 5) has daytime coverage ending at 6 p.m., then prime time coverage from 8-11. I would imagine that's typical. Finals of the men's 400 IM are scheduled to go off at 10:03 Sunday morning Beijing time. Beijing is 15 hours ahead of Pacific Daylight Time, so that means 7:03 p.m. Saturday evening local time for me. In other words right in the middle of the two hour break :(

As I said, though, we get CBC here, so no biggie :)

tjburk
August 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM
We'll call you and tell you what happened!!!!!!:drown:

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Open Letter From Chuck Wielgus about Hardy/Kirk Situation:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=1&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&ItemId=2165&mid=2943

3strokes
August 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
coughlin story
http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=183953.html#comfortably+coughlin

And NBC has restricted viewership to the USA ONLY.
Therefore it looks like that border is defended after all.

Ciao :canada:

Slid
August 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Sorry to interrupt a serious discussion, but I watched "Dodgeball" with my 11-14 Church Group at an in-church sleepover not long ago and it was just so manic it was incredible.

The ADBAA - The American Dodge-Ball Association - of America!! (Wiped me out)

We've lost Steve the Pirate?
Steve the Pirate?
Yeah. he's, like the guy on the Team that, ah, like, dresses like a Pirate.
We have a guy on the Team dresses like a Pirate??"

3strokes
August 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM

But, for swimming, you have to listen to Byron McDonald (who's almost OK) and Steve Armitage (who calls the swimming races as if they were horse races on which he had bet his family's food and living for the next 20 years). He's just as annoying as Rowdy Gaines. Then for the non-swimming, I don't know who's more annoying, Brian Williams (Aaaaaaallllll RRRight!) or the other guy whose name really escapes me (he also covers ice hockey).

I'm trying to tape all CBC coverage and then later on make a swimming copy. Some other channels are going to be showing some other events (not on CBC) but I couldn't find Judo anywhere. I like it, so........

ande
August 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Added the

Start List

knelson
August 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I don't know who's more annoying, Brian Williams (Aaaaaaallllll RRRight!)

Apparently Williams left (or was canned) from CBC, so he won't be annoying you anymore :) Personally I didn't mind him.

The "other guy" is Ron MacLean.

ehoch
August 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
West Coast Tape Delay !!!!

I think West Coast people will get everything tape delayed - this is from the NBC schedule.

"Americans Michael Phelps, Katie Hoff and Brendan Hansen chase gold in the pool (LIVE ET/CT)"

My guess is that they will just start showing the same program as on the East Coast - they just start it 3 hours later. So we (west coast) will see the swimming at 10 PM although, they could show it at 7.

I feel like NBC is holding us hostage and I am sure I will find an online site showing it live -- last time I watched a Chinese TV station online.

What NBC does not realize is that this costs them viewers - I would for sure watch it live - but if it's tape delayed, it's always going to be a TIVO.

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Sorry to interrupt a serious discussion, but I watched "Dodgeball" with my 11-14 Church Group at an in-church sleepover not long ago and it was just so manic it was incredible.

The ADBAA - The American Dodge-Ball Association - of America!! (Wiped me out)

We've lost Steve the Pirate?
Steve the Pirate?
Yeah. he's, like the guy on the Team that, ah, like, dresses like a Pirate.
We have a guy on the Team dresses like a Pirate??"

Aaaarrrrggghh!

Rip Torn had some other great quotes in there... I about died when he said the comment about the useless lollipop... LOL! Glad someone appreciated that signature! ;)

USMSarah
August 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM
West Coast Tape Delay !!!!

I think West Coast people will get everything tape delayed - this is from the NBC schedule.

"Americans Michael Phelps, Katie Hoff and Brendan Hansen chase gold in the pool (LIVE ET/CT)"

My guess is that they will just start showing the same program as on the East Coast - they just start it 3 hours later. So we (west coast) will see the swimming at 10 PM although, they could show it at 7.

I feel like NBC is holding us hostage and I am sure I will find an online site showing it live -- last time I watched a Chinese TV station online.

What NBC does not realize is that this costs them viewers - I would for sure watch it live - but if it's tape delayed, it's always going to be a TIVO.

I felt this way about the Sydney games.

Was also trying so hard to avoid the internet news - and I mistakingly saw the report that Misty Hyman won the 2-fly when it would have been so great to experience watching it first on TV!!!!

ande
August 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
results are up on
RESULTS & START LIST (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/SW.shtml)

ande
August 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
400 IM
1 4 PHELPS Michael USA 0.75 4:07.82 OR
50m (1) 26.13 100m (1) 55.28
29.15 150m (1) 1:26.38
31.10 200m (1) 1:57.34
30.96 250m (1) 2:33.03
35.69 300m (1) 3:09.48
350m (1) 3:39.43
29.95 28.39

1 4 LOCHTE Ryan USA 0.70 4:10.33
50m (2) 26.08 100m (2) 56.00
29.92 150m (1) 1:28.19
32.19 200m (2) 1:59.97
31.78 250m (2) 2:35.26
35.29 300m (2) 3:10.57
350m (1) 3:40.61
30.04 29.72

1 4 CSEH Laszlo HUN 0.78 4:09.26
50m (2) 26.06 100m (2) 56.13
30.07 150m (1) 1:27.65
31.52 200m (1) 1:58.86
31.21 250m (1) 2:34.98
36.12 300m (1) 3:11.16
350m (1) 3:40.91
29.75 28.35

ande
August 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
mens 400 free

heat 3

1 5 ZHANG Lin CHN 0.73 3:43.32 AS
50m (3) 26.51 100m (4) 54.53
28.02 150m (3) 1:23.41
28.88 200m (2) 1:51.85
28.44 250m (2) 2:20.38
28.53 300m (2) 2:48.76
350m (1) 3:16.85
28.09 26.47

2 4 PARK Taehwan KOR 0.69 3:43.35 0.03
50m (=4) 26.60 100m (3) 54.46
27.86 150m (4) 1:23.43
28.97 200m (4) 1:51.92
28.49 250m (4) 2:20.65
28.73 300m (3) 2:48.80
350m (2) 3:16.93
28.13 26.42

3 2 MATSUDA Takeshi JPN 0.79 3:44.99 1.67
50m (2) 26.25 100m (2) 54.44
28.19 150m (2) 1:22.99
28.55 200m (3) 1:51.90
28.91 250m (1) 2:20.29
28.39 300m (1) 2:48.74
350m (3) 3:17.03
28.29 27.96

4 3 COLBERTALDO Federico ITA 0.82 3:45.28 1.96
50m (7) 27.00 100m (7) 55.24
28.24 150m (6) 1:23.77
28.53 200m (5) 1:52.32
28.55 250m (3) 2:20.64
28.32 300m (4) 2:49.04
350m (4) 3:17.59
28.55 27.69

heat 4

1 4 JENSEN Larsen USA 0.78 3:43.10 AM
50m (3) 26.25 100m (3) 54.37
28.12 150m (3) 1:22.64
28.27 200m (1) 1:50.82
28.18 250m (1) 2:19.10
28.28 300m (1) 2:47.33
350m (1) 3:15.54
28.21 27.56

2 6 LOBINTSEV Nikita RUS 0.80 3:43.45 0.35
50m (2) 25.91 100m (1) 53.88
27.97 150m (1) 1:22.31
28.43 200m (3) 1:50.95
28.64 250m (2) 2:19.29
28.34 300m (2) 2:47.93
350m (2) 3:16.35
28.42 27.10

3 5 MELLOULI Oussama TUN 0.78 3:44.54 1.44
50m (1) 25.84 100m (2) 54.23
28.39 150m (2) 1:22.40
28.17 200m (2) 1:50.94
28.54 250m (3) 2:19.43
28.49 300m (4) 2:48.29
350m (4) 3:16.81
28.52 27.73

4 8 GLAESNER Mads DEN 0.72 3:45.38 2.28
50m (7) 26.83 100m (6) 55.40
28.57 150m (6) 1:24.07
28.67 200m (6) 1:52.59
28.52 250m (5) 2:20.80
28.21 300m (5) 2:49.12
350m (5) 3:17.53
28.41 27.85

5 3 ROSOLINO Massimiliano ITA 0.92 3:45.57 2.47
50m (5) 26.62 100m (4) 54.66
28.04 150m (4) 1:22.71
28.05 200m (4) 1:51.14
28.43 250m (4) 2:19.44
28.30 300m (3) 2:48.20
350m (3) 3:16.77
28.57 28.80

heat 5

1 4 HACKETT Grant AUS 0.73 3:44.03
50m (1) 25.94 100m (1) 54.02
28.08 150m (1) 1:22.46
28.44 200m (1) 1:51.14
28.68 250m (1) 2:19.76
28.62 300m (2) 2:48.55
350m (2) 3:16.97
28.42 27.06

2 5 VANDERKAAY Peter USA 0.75 3:44.22 0.19
50m (=2) 26.25 100m (4) 54.49
28.24 150m (4) 1:22.93
28.44 200m (4) 1:51.65
28.72 250m (2) 2:19.77
28.12 300m (1) 2:48.25
350m (1) 3:16.75
28.50 27.47

3 3 PRILUKOV Yuriy RUS 0.86 3:44.82 0.79
50m (5) 26.36 100m (3) 54.38
28.02 150m (3) 1:22.72
28.34 200m (=2) 1:51.24
28.52 250m (3) 2:19.98
28.74 300m (3) 2:48.71
350m (3) 3:17.28
28.57 27.54

4 2 COCHRANE Ryan CAN 0.79 3:44.85 0.82
50m (=2) 26.25 100m (2) 54.35
28.10 150m (2) 1:22.67
28.32 200m (=2) 1:51.24
28.57 250m (4) 2:20.03
28.79 300m (4) 2:48.79
350m (4) 3:17.31

ande
August 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
w 400 IM

heat 3

1 4 BEISEL Elizabeth USA 0.70 4:34.55
50m (5) 30.22 100m (4) 1:03.89
33.67 150m (2) 1:38.51
34.62 200m (2) 2:12.04
33.53 250m (1) 2:51.66
39.62 300m (1) 3:31.41
350m (1) 4:03.27
31.86 31.28

2 5 FILIPPI Alessia ITA 0.84 4:35.11 0.56
50m (7) 30.47 100m (8) 1:04.36
33.89 150m (4) 1:38.71
34.35 200m (1) 2:11.97
33.26 250m (2) 2:51.78
39.81 300m (2) 3:31.79
350m (2) 4:04.16
32.37 30.95

3 3 MARTYNOVA Yana RUS 1.00 4:36.25 1.70
50m (2) 29.82 100m (3) 1:03.32
33.50 150m (5) 1:39.26
35.94 200m (5) 2:13.68
34.42 250m (3) 2:52.42
38.74 300m (3) 3:32.18
350m (3) 4:04.95
32.77 31.30

4 7 FUJINO Maiko JPN 0.78 4:37.35 2.80
50m (6) 30.44 100m (5) 1:03.91
33.47 150m (7) 1:39.92
36.01 200m (7) 2:14.80
34.88 250m (6) 2:54.38
39.58 300m (5) 3:34.49
350m (4) 4:06.26
31.77 31.09

heat 4

1 4 RICE Stephanie AUS 0.92 4:35.11
50m (1) 29.14 100m (2) 1:02.23
33.09 150m (2) 1:37.55
35.32 200m (2) 2:11.90
34.35 250m (1) 2:51.05
39.15 300m (1) 3:30.51
350m (1) 4:03.04
32.53 32.07
2 3 LI Xuanxu CHN 0.81 4:36.35 1.24
50m (7) 29.95 100m (5) 1:03.39
33.44 150m (4) 1:39.11
35.72 200m (4) 2:13.83
34.72 250m (4) 2:53.81
39.98 300m (5) 3:34.54
350m (5) 4:06.40
31.86 29.95

3 5 COVENTRY Kirsty ZIM 0.76 4:36.43 1.32
50m (6) 29.88 100m (6) 1:03.67
33.79 150m (3) 1:37.68
34.01 200m (1) 2:11.40
33.72 250m (2) 2:52.21
40.81 300m (2) 3:32.47
350m (2) 4:04.96
32.49 31.47

4 7 BARANOWSKA Katarzyna POL 0.79 4:36.95 1.84
50m (5) 29.87 100m (7) 1:03.93
34.06 150m (7) 1:39.91
35.98 200m (7) 2:15.97
36.06 250m (5) 2:54.61
38.64 300m (4) 3:34.12
350m (4) 4:06.10
31.98 30.85

5 1 MEAKLIM Katheryn RSA 0.82 4:37.11 2.00
50m (3) 29.47 100m (3) 1:02.90
33.43 150m (6) 1:39.49
36.59 200m (5) 2:14.88
35.39 250m (3) 2:53.67
38.79 300m (3) 3:33.16
350m (3) 4:05.51
32.35 31.60

heat 5

1 4 HOFF Katie USA 0.77 4:34.63
50m (5) 29.93 100m (2) 1:03.39
33.46 150m (5) 1:39.66
36.27 200m (5) 2:14.61
34.95 250m (2) 2:53.01
38.40 300m (1) 3:31.28
350m (1) 4:03.33
32.05 31.30

2 5 MILEY Hannah GBR 0.75 4:36.56 1.93
50m (7) 30.32 100m (7) 1:04.01
33.69 150m (2) 1:39.14
35.13 200m (2) 2:13.72
34.58 250m (1) 2:52.58
38.86 300m (2) 3:32.54
350m (2) 4:05.03
32.49 31.53

3 3 HOSSZU Katinka HUN 1.02 4:37.55 2.92
50m (6) 30.10 100m (4) 1:03.72
33.62 150m (6) 1:39.76
36.04 200m (6) 2:14.77
35.01 250m (6) 2:54.38
39.61 300m (5) 3:34.81
350m (4) 4:07.06
32.25 30.49

4 2 JAKABOS Zsuzsanna HUN 0.88 4:37.86 3.23
50m (2) 29.82 100m (3) 1:03.43
33.61 150m (1) 1:38.07
34.64 200m (1) 2:12.55
34.48 250m (3) 2:53.06
40.51 300m (6) 3:34.93
350m (5) 4:07.32
32.39 30.54

5 7 BELMONTE Mireia ESP 0.86 4:37.91 3.28
50m (4) 29.92 100m (1) 1:03.30
33.38 150m (4) 1:39.50
36.20 200m (4) 2:14.37
34.87 250m (5) 2:53.73
39.36 300m (3) 3:33.88
350m (3) 4:06.47
32.59 31.44

ande
August 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
heat 7

1 4 OEN Alexander Dale NOR 0.70 (1) 27.95 59.41
31.46 OR
2 5 RICKARD Brenton AUS 0.84 (3) 28.19 59.89
31.70 0.48 OC
3 7 van der BURGH Cameron RSA 0.65 (2) 28.12 59.96
31.84 0.55 AF
4 3 SPRENGER Christian AUS 0.76 (4) 28.33 1:00.36
32.03 0.95
5 6 LISOGOR Oleg UKR 0.81 (5) 28.35 1:00.65
32.30 1.24

heat 8

1 4 KITAJIMA Kosuke JPN 0.69 (3) 28.34 59.52
2 2 BORYSIK Igor UKR 0.85 (1) 28.12 1:00.31
32.19 0.79
3 7 ALEXANDROV Mihail BUL 0.73 (5) 28.53 1:00.69
32.16 1.17
4 5 COOK Christopher GBR 0.75 (6) 28.75 1:00.70
31.95 1.18
5 3 GANGLOFF Mark USA 0.80 (2) 28.26 1:00.71
32.45 1.19

heat 9

1 5 DUBOSCQ Hugues FRA 0.72 (4) 28.51 59.67
2 7 TITENIS Giedrius LTU 0.81 (1) 28.09 1:00.11
32.02 0.44
3 3 SLUDNOV Roman RUS 0.85 (2) 28.23 1:00.20
31.97 0.53
4 4 HANSEN Brendan USA 0.70 (3) 28.50 1:00.36
31.86 0.69

ande
August 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
heat 1

1 3 CHN - China 3:36.78 AS
ZHU Yingwen 0.84 26.56 54.53 (=2) 54.53
TANG Yi 0.32 25.98 54.29 (=2) 1:48.82
XU Yanwei 0.25 26.46 55.13 (4) 2:43.95
PANG Jiaying 0.30 25.41 52.83 (1) 3:36.78

2 5 GER - Germany 3:37.52 0.74
FREITAG Meike 0.79 26.32 54.53 (=2) 54.53
BUSCHSCHULTE Antje 0.22 25.92 54.29 (=2) 1:48.82
GOTZ Daniela 0.15 25.59 54.54 (1) 2:43.36
STEFFEN Britta 0.47 25.98 54.16 (2) 3:37.52

3 4 AUS - Australia 3:37.81 1.03
CAMPBELL Cate 0.85 26.51 54.65 (4) 54.65
MILLS Alice 0.34 25.87 54.55 (4) 1:49.20
SCHLANGER Melanie 0.12 26.53 54.69 (3) 2:43.89
REESE Shayne 0.44 25.69 53.92 (3) 3:37.81

4 6 GBR - Great Britain 3:39.18 2.40
HALSALL Francesca 0.74 26.39 54.36 (1) 54.36
McCLATCHEY Caitlin 0.28 26.36 54.42 (1) 1:48.78
BECKETT Julia 0.31 26.45 55.64 (5) 2:44.42
MARSHALL Melanie 0.25 26.22 54.76 (4) 3:39.18

5 1 JPN - Japan 3:39.25 2.47
UEDA Haruka 0.84 26.88 55.13 (6) 55.13
YAMAGUCHI Misaki 0.09 25.97 54.14 (5) 1:49.27
KITAGAWA Asami 0.25 26.10 54.47 (2) 2:43.74
MITA Maki 0.29 26.66 55.51 (5) 3:39.25

heat 2

1 5 USA - United States 3:37.53
JOYCE Kara Lynn 0.74 26.22 54.13 (2) 54.13
SMIT Julia 0.20 26.18 54.73 (=1) 1:48.86
SILVER Emily 0.33 26.26 54.81 (3) 2:43.67
NYMEYER Lacey 0.28 26.02 53.86 (1) 3:37.53

2 4 NED - Netherlands 3:37.61 0.08
KROMOWIDJOJO Ranomi 0.82 26.08 54.41 (3) 54.41
SCHREUDER Hinkelien 0.47 25.83 55.31 (4) 1:49.72
HEEMSKERK Femke 0.27 25.51 53.58 (1) 2:43.30
van ROOIJEN Manon 0.33 25.86 54.31 (2) 3:37.61

3 6 FRA - France 3:37.76 0.23
COUDERC Celine 0.79 25.86 53.97 (1) 53.97
SHCHERBA-LORGERIL Hanna 0.25 26.42 54.95 (3) 1:48.92
ETIENNE Ophelie-Cyrielle 0.29 26.42 54.72 (2) 2:43.64
POPCHANKA Alena 0.41 26.07 54.12 (3) 3:37.76

4 2 CAN - Canada 3:38.82 1.29
WILKINSON Julia 0.79 26.67 54.48 (4) 54.48
MORNINGSTAR Erica 0.28 25.63 54.38 (=1) 1:48.86
SAUMUR Genevieve 0.44 26.32 55.11 (4) 2:43.97
LACROIX Audrey 0.19 25.95 54.85 (4) 3:38.82

Allen Stark
August 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Based on times Jensen looks tough.I hope he didn't leave too much in the pool.I was glad to see Hansen didn't blast in prelims.He was quoted as saying he had a lot left in the tank.

Rob Copeland
August 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
heat 1

1 3 CHN - China 3:36.78 AS
ZHU Yingwen 0.84 26.56 54.53 (=2) 54.53
TANG Yi 0.32 25.98 54.29 (=2) 1:48.82
XU Yanwei 0.25 26.46 55.13 (4) 2:43.95
PANG Jiaying 0.30 25.41 52.83 (1) 3:36.78

PANG Jiaying 2007 56.03 :roids::roids::dunno:

JMiller
August 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Wow!

Just to make the top 8 in the 400 IM, 4:11
That's faster than the 2000 WR...
Incredulous!

marksman
August 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
not sure if they'll ever live it down.

http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/out-of-nowhere-chinese-swimmers-win-heats-and-raise-questions/

tjrpatt
August 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
As much as I think the world of Hansen, I don't think that he can win the 100 breast. It is a real shame because he is the greatest breakstroker to walk the earth but who, outside the swimming community, will know that in 10 years.

mazzy
August 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM
The China don't look like the 1994 edition of Rome.
The top team fields the backups, The time is way off WR so I dont' bothers with steroid, on the other heat some younger female dress with classic 80s suit.
I've watched all the heats live.
Lochte a little subpar race, I think that he don't want swim along phelps.
Hansen very subpar, finished 4th 1 secs slower maybe he was holding back, but he don't look like he's in top form.
the best race look to be the 400m free, a very tight races with 5-6 swimmers on the same line.

ande
August 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
hi elise

I answered your question at:
http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=146124&postcount=944
hope it helps you swim faster faster
I think it will

ande

Ande - My favorite stroke is butterfly. Lately, I have done the 50 but haven't had a chance to do the 100 in about 10 years. I'm female and 42. My best 50 fly (yards) time in the last six years has been 28.5.

I've got what I consider a pretty good dolphin kick but I can't seem to capitalize on it when I put the whole stroke together. I'm able to do a set of 10 x 100 dolphin kicks (no fins) on 1:45 and hold 1:25s. Shouldn't I be able to do better than a 28.5? In college, I was able to do 10 x 100 dolphin kick on 1:30 and hold 1:20. Still, I never broke a minute on the 100.

Any ideas on how I can better capitalize on my kick both within the whole stroke? I have been working on my kick off the wall, so maybe that alone will get my time down a little, but I sure would love to hear your ideas on what I can do to better incorporate my kick into my stroke.

Charge
August 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Phelps was phenomenal. His last ever 400IM huh?

pwolf66
August 9th, 2008, 10:20 PM
4:03.84

4:03.84?????

Are you KIDDING me?

What a swim. He won it on Breaststroke. He just absolutely powered thru.

I sure hope it's not his last 400 IM.

Will he break 4??? I think he has a very real shot at it.

Holy cow.

ALM
August 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Did anyone notice, in the Men's 400 Free, the suit that the Chinese swimmer next to Jensen was wearing? It looked like a LZR, but that he had put a piece of duct tape over the Speedo logo on the chest.

tjburk
August 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I called it the other day on one of the other threads.....the race thread I think.....I said 4:03 high or a low 4:04..........I love being right !!!!! LOL:drown:

tjrpatt
August 9th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Phelps should do the 400 IM until he breaks 4 minutes. Lochte broke the 1-2 dominion in the 400 IM at the Olympics. He was faster at Trials.

Hoff and Jensen swam their best. Others in their event were just alot faster. I think that Jensen has a good shot to break the Australian dominance in the 1500. Then again, that Korean could do it too.

The young girl was very impressive in the 400 IM.

Coventry was amazing in her 400 IM. Wow!

tjrpatt
August 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
What the heck is wrong with Hansen? It must be mental.

Chrissy
August 9th, 2008, 11:18 PM
WOW what a swim from Steph in WR time too :woot: well she just proved to the world she is not just a fluke who swam in WR time at the Aus Olympic Trials, the girl can swim and she bloody proved it on the big stage. I knew Steph could beat Hoff she is just sooo good! Bring on the 200 IM, Steph could brake her own WR in that one too!

Congrats Steph, you've done us Aussies proud!

ande
August 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
impressive swims

1 6 NED - Netherlands 3:33.76 OR
DEKKER Inge 0.84 26.11 54.37 (7) 54.37
KROMOWIDJOJO Ranomi 0.27 25.14 53.39 (2) 1:47.76
HEEMSKERK Femke 0.37 25.35 53.42 (1) 2:41.18
VELDHUIS Marleen 0.21 24.61 52.58 (1) 3:33.76

2 3 USA - United States 3:34.33 0.57 AM
COUGHLIN Natalie 0.68 25.74 54.00 (3) 54.00
NYMEYER Lacey 0.25 25.77 53.91 (3) 1:47.91
JOYCE Kara Lynn 0.27 25.76 53.98 (2) 2:41.89
TORRES Dara 0.15 24.99 52.44 (2) 3:34.33

3 7 AUS - Australia 3:35.05 1.29 OC
CAMPBELL Cate 0.80 25.89 54.43 (8) 54.43
MILLS Alice 0.19 25.66 54.43 (=7) 1:48.86
SCHLANGER Melanie 0.17 26.05 53.85 (3) 2:42.71
TRICKETT Lisbeth 0.21 25.04 52.34 (3) 3:35.05

4 4 CHN - China 3:35.64 1.88 AS
ZHU Yingwen 0.79 26.15 54.12 (4) 54.12
TANG Yi 0.34 26.09 54.19 (5) 1:48.31
XU Yanwei 0.11 25.71 54.64 (4) 2:42.95
PANG Jiaying 0.11 25.40 52.69 (4) 3:35.64

tjburk
August 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Natalie didn't seem to have the good turns she usually has!!!!

Chrissy
August 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM
impressive swims

1 6 NED - Netherlands 3:33.76 OR
DEKKER Inge 0.84 26.11 54.37 (7) 54.37
KROMOWIDJOJO Ranomi 0.27 25.14 53.39 (2) 1:47.76
HEEMSKERK Femke 0.37 25.35 53.42 (1) 2:41.18
VELDHUIS Marleen 0.21 24.61 52.58 (1) 3:33.76

2 3 USA - United States 3:34.33 0.57 AM
COUGHLIN Natalie 0.68 25.74 54.00 (3) 54.00
NYMEYER Lacey 0.25 25.77 53.91 (3) 1:47.91
JOYCE Kara Lynn 0.27 25.76 53.98 (2) 2:41.89
TORRES Dara 0.15 24.99 52.44 (2) 3:34.33

3 7 AUS - Australia 3:35.05 1.29 OC
CAMPBELL Cate 0.80 25.89 54.43 (8) 54.43
MILLS Alice 0.19 25.66 54.43 (=7) 1:48.86
SCHLANGER Melanie 0.17 26.05 53.85 (3) 2:42.71
TRICKETT Lisbeth 0.21 25.04 52.34 (3) 3:35.05

4 4 CHN - China 3:35.64 1.88 AS
ZHU Yingwen 0.79 26.15 54.12 (4) 54.12
TANG Yi 0.34 26.09 54.19 (5) 1:48.31
XU Yanwei 0.11 25.71 54.64 (4) 2:42.95
PANG Jiaying 0.11 25.40 52.69 (4) 3:35.64

Congrats to the Dutch girls, great race! It hurt that Jodie Henry wasn't swimming for us but I'm still proud of our girls, well done to the Aussie girls getting a bronze medal :)

knelson
August 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM
What's up with Cate Campbell? Heck, she swam a 53.30 at the Santa Clara meet a couple months ago. She was better than a second off that in the relay. Then again Coughlin was 53.39 there and only managed a 54.0 today.

JMiller
August 10th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Men
400 IM: Lochte, good show, with Phelps taking it on the freestyle.
400 free: PARK, incredible... WR's are in this young man's future.
100 breast semis: Hansen, you can still medal, sub :60 is very respectable!
Women
100 fly semis: Tricket has the ticket!
400 IM: Two world records in one final, that's twice as nice for Rice.
4x100 free relay: That was amazing!

ande
August 10th, 2008, 12:21 AM
did you notice that every one in the mens 400 free final 6 beat kicked the whole way

tjburk
August 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Park is an animal......that was a good race for him....

Midas
August 10th, 2008, 03:18 AM
What a first day!

Outside of the God of all Swimming and Dara Torres (she really is amazing), most of the Americans have not looked at all crisp thus far in these Olympics. I wonder if having trials so close is a detriment? It's hard to taper 2 times in 8 weeks...

I have faith in Hansen in the 100 breaststroke. If he doesn't defeat himself mentally, he's the class of the field. Note that he was in first at the 50. I think that's all he wanted in the semifinals. The 200 breaststroke is an easy event to beat yourself in. That last 50 is excruciating. He shouldn't have time to out-think himself in the 100. It should be a great race though.

Here's hoping Katie can recover for her other swims. I was floored that she took the bronze.

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Seriously, we tried this in 1988 and it didn't work for us at all, having trials so close. What was the reasoning? NCAA's?

Charge
August 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Did anyone notice, in the Men's 400 Free, the suit that the Chinese swimmer next to Jensen was wearing? It looked like a LZR, but that he had put a piece of duct tape over the Speedo logo on the chest.

I saw that, it was hilarious. Wear a $500 dwim suit so you can go faster, but muck it up with a piece of 5 cent duct tape to increase the drag. I bet the duct tape was thicker than the suit.

ande
August 10th, 2008, 07:36 AM
womens 100 bk prelims
the OR ot broken 3 times

OR 59.68 29.07 COUGHLIN Natalie USA Athens (GRE) Aug 21 2004

Heat 5

1 4 ZUEVA Anastasia RUS 0.70 (2) 29.32 59.61
30.29 OR
2 5 SEEBOHM Emily AUS 0.58 (3) 29.36 1:00.27
30.91 0.66
3 8 BUSCHSCHULTE Antje GER 0.61 (4) 29.44 1:00.48
31.04 0.87
4 2 SIMMONDS Elizabeth GBR 0.69 (7) 29.71 1:00.53
30.82 0.92
5 6 ZHIVANEVSKAYA Nina Alexandrovna ESP 0.58 (5) 29.51 1:00.54
31.03 0.93
6 3 EDINGTON Sophie AUS 0.64 (1) 29.16 1:00.65
31.49 1.04
7 1 XU Tianlongzi CHN 0.53 (6) 29.52 1:00.82
31.30 1.21

Heat 6

OR 59.61 29.32 ZUEVA Anastasia RUS Beijing (CHN) Aug 10 2008

1 6 NAKAMURA Reiko JPN 0.62 (1) 28.92 59.36
30.44 OR
2 5 MANAUDOU Laure FRA 0.77 (2) 29.35 1:00.09
30.74 0.73
3 4 HOELZER Margaret USA 0.62 (5) 29.47 1:00.13
30.66 0.77
4 3 ITO Hanae JPN 0.62 (6) 29.55 1:00.16
30.61 0.80
5 1 MOSKVINA Kseniya RUS 0.74 (4) 29.46 1:00.70
31.24 1.34
6 2 JOVANOVIC Sanja CRO 0.65 (3) 29.41 1:01.30
31.89 1.94

heat 7

OR 1 6 NAKAMURA Reiko JPN 0.62 (1) 28.92 59.36 30.44

1 5 COVENTRY Kirsty ZIM 0.68 (2) 28.99 59.00
30.01 OR
2 4 COUGHLIN Natalie USA 0.60 (1) 28.97 59.69
30.72 0.69
3 6 SPOFFORTH Gemma GBR 0.59 (3) 29.40 1:00.11
30.71 1.11
4 1 COSTER Elizabeth NZL 0.58 (6) 29.78 1:00.66
30.88 1.66
5 7 MOLINA Fabiola BRA 0.60 (4) 29.52 1:01.00
31.48 2.00

ande
August 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM
mens 200 fr prelims

heat 6

1 4 BASSON Jean RSA 0.68 (4) 25.35 (4) 52.75
27.40 (2) 1:19.66
26.91 1:46.31
2 2 HAYDEN Brent CAN 0.75 (1) 24.69 (1) 51.99
27.30 (1) 1:19.10
27.11 1:46.40
27.30 0.09
3 3 RUSSELL Colin CAN 0.76 (2) 25.02 (2) 52.03
27.01 (3) 1:19.67
27.64 1:46.58
26.91 0.27
4 7 BREMBILLA Emiliano ITA 0.83 (8) 25.91 (6) 52.90
26.99 (5) 1:20.11
27.21 1:47.04
26.93 0.73
5 5 LEVEAUX Amaury FRA 0.76 (6) 25.50 (8) 53.27
27.77 (8) 1:20.75
27.48 1:47.44
26.69 1.13
6 6 SPRENGER Nicholas AUS 0.84 (5) 25.44 (5) 52.77
27.33 (6) 1:20.37
27.60 1:47.64
27.27 1.33

heat 7

1 5 BIEDERMANN Paul GER 0.86 (5) 25.72 (5) 53.23
27.51 (=4) 1:20.48
27.25 1:47.09
2 4 VANDERKAAY Peter USA 0.73 (=3) 25.58 (3) 52.95
27.37 (3) 1:20.43
27.48 1:47.39
26.96 0.30
3 7 RENWICK Robbie GBR 0.74 (=3) 25.58 (4) 52.99
27.41 (2) 1:20.30
27.31 1:47.82
27.52 0.73
4 3 SUKHORUKOV Alexander RUS 0.78 (1) 25.33 (1) 52.27
26.94 (1) 1:20.18
27.91 1:47.97
27.79 0.88
5 6 MONK Kenrick AUS 0.75 (2) 25.45 (2) 52.83
27.38 (=4) 1:20.48
27.65 1:48.17
27.69 1.08

Heat 8

1 2 MEICHTRY Dominik SUI 0.68 (1) 24.70 (1) 51.22
26.52 (1) 1:18.26
27.04 1:45.80
2 4 PHELPS Michael USA 0.73 (7) 25.81 (=3) 52.78
26.97 (2) 1:19.81
27.03 1:46.48
26.67 0.68
3 5 PARK Taehwan KOR 0.67 (4) 25.59 (6) 52.90
27.31 (3) 1:20.01
27.11 1:46.73
26.72 0.93
4 3 IZOTOV Danila RUS 0.78 (5) 25.61 (7) 53.01
27.40 (4) 1:20.04
27.03 1:46.80
26.76 1.00
5 7 OKUMURA Yoshihiro JPN 0.72 (2) 25.38 (=3) 52.78
27.40 (6) 1:20.12
27.34 1:46.89
26.77 1.09
6 6 DAVENPORT Ross GBR 0.72 (3) 25.52 (5) 52.83
27.31 (7) 1:20.44
27.61 1:47.13
26.69 1.33

pwolf66
August 10th, 2008, 07:42 AM
24 PHELPS Michael USA 0.73(7) 25.81 (=3) 52.78
26.97 (2) 1:19.81
27.03 1:46.48
26.67 0.68

Wonder what he's gonna go in the semi's? 44.50?

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
That Park guy from Korea did pretty good.

Coventry is on fire at these Games. Coughlin better get her stuff together real quick. Her relay leg wasn't too impressive. She looked like she died on the end.

richabrahams
August 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Even thought the US set a world record in the men's 4 x 100 free relay in the prelims and will have 3 faster swimmers in the final, I am nervous about the French team. They also broke the record with one guy splitting a 49.8. The 2 swimmers they will bring back tonight went 47. 76 leadoff (Leveraux)and an unreal 46.63 split by Freddy Bousquet. Tonight they'll add Bernard (world record holder) and the guy that got 2d in their OT's. This will be a battle!

ande
August 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
looks like JONES Cullen 0.16 22.20 47.61
gets to swim again tonight with weber gale, phelps and lezak

though the fair thing to do is to subtract every ones reaction times

47.61 - 0.16 = 47.45
47.77 - 0.27 = 47.50

french lead off
LEVEAUX Amaury broke the 100 free leadoff
0.77 23.18 47.76 OR (1) 47.76

whoa

1) BOUSQUET Frederick 0.12 21.77 46.63

2) MAGNINI Filippo 0.23 22.65 46.84 back in 24. 19!
this has to be the fastest 2nd 50 ever

3) van den HOOGENBAND Pieter split 47.17 0.20 22.06
excellent

CIELO FILHO Cesar went lead off 0.69 22.53 47.91
but his team got DQed

GBR BURNETT Simon lead off in 48.20 0.67 23.16

The Fortress
August 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
That Park guy from Korea did pretty good.

Coventry is on fire at these Games. Coughlin better get her stuff together real quick. Her relay leg wasn't too impressive. She looked like she died on the end.

I think Coughlin is going to get beat, unfortunately.

Jessica Hardy's boyfriend swam the fastest 200 free. I know he's good, but was that expected?

Rice and Phelps were unbelievable ....

swimcat
August 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
am I the only one noticing or does it seem the veterans apart from phelps look flat. ? hoff (maybe bit off more than she can chew) yes, rice is swimming great, coughlin looked tired, hansen looked tired. they all look tired last 10 meters especially.
worth noting which most of people on this forum know, apart from the aussies, a lot of the foreign swimmers medaling- train at US colleges or at TRC.

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think Coughlin is going to get beat, unfortunately.

Jessica Hardy's boyfriend swam the fastest 200 free. I know he's good, but was that expected?

Rice and Phelps were unbelievable ....

Jessica's boyfriend is from Switzerland. What is he doing the "Markus Rogan" thing where he is an American but represents another country. Matt Grevers was asked to represent the Netherlands but decided against it.

swimcat
August 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
domenick met?? sorry forgot last name trains with the race club.
marcus rogan, since when did he become american, i thought he always was austrian but trained in the US

ande
August 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM
some nice olympic interviews at:

http://www.floswimming.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234069-2008-olympics/71562-cullen-jones

photos
http://www.floswimming.org/photos/search_assoc/coverage/234069

in olympic training camp practice
ryan lochte SDKed
75 yards in 33 and
50 meters in 22.8

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Checked the web. He moved to the USA at 14 but I guess that he didn't become a citizen. That makes him Austrian enough for me to respresent Austria at the Olympics.

LindsayNB
August 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
It was interesting that Hackett was wearing a wrist to ankles full body LZR, I hadn't seen one of those before.

knelson
August 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
If he doesn't defeat himself mentally, he's the class of the field.

I don't know about that. The Norwegian, Oen, has looked very tough. I think he's going to be very difficult to beat.

Allen Stark
August 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I want Hansen to win and hope he knows what he is doing.I think Kitajima is still the guy to beat.I don't think he went all out in semi-finals.
I think the timing of trials may be an issue,I don't think Phelps tapered as much for trials and so he's ready now.

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
What is the deal with Hackett? Wasn't he supposed to win the 400 free now that Thorpe retired.

I love how female breaststrokers are burning out at 16 a la Anita Nall. They are still placing Top 8 or 16 at the Olympics in their mid-20s.

tjrpatt
August 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Where was the Dutch guy in the 200 Free? Peter Van something.

phdude
August 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
looks like hanson had trouble holding the taper after halfway through trials, and didn't get it together for the olympics. what's up with all of the announcers for nbc prematurely announcing his retirement? have they even talked to him about it? of course the olympics is the biggest stage, that you HAVE to show up for, but i think it's damaging and, to a degree, journalistically irresponsible to keep shoving hanson out the door when he has been the best in the world for so long, except for the last month, and while he is relying on sponsors to provide means for his continued training.

USMSarah
August 10th, 2008, 10:46 PM
looks like hanson had trouble holding the taper after halfway through trials, and didn't get it together for the olympics. what's up with all of the announcers for nbc prematurely announcing his retirement? have they even talked to him about it? of course the olympics is the biggest stage, that you HAVE to show up for, but i think it's damaging and, to a degree, journalistically irresponsible to keep shoving hanson out the door when he has been the best in the world for so long, except for the last month, and while he is relying on sponsors to provide means for his continued training.

I wish they would hold off on the retirement assumptions... I can't stand it. I'm so sad that he didn't win - or even medal. But, he was gracious and went and congratulated Kitajima. Hansen is a true champion. Happy that he'll most likely medal in the medley relay!

phdude
August 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
that's probably the most frustrating part of watching these olympics televised. the combination of commentators with little-to-poor information and the desire to overplay "rivalries" and dramatic sob stories for the non-die-hard swimming fans who are watching is just too much. i suppose that promoting from this perspective is necessary in order to drive ratings. however, over-dramatizing is tolerable only to a point. when you basically ignore a great swimmers' easy-speed 100bk wr in semis because of your redwhitenblue glasses, or verbally demand YOUR OWN COUNTRY'S SWIMMER's RETIREMENT, you are WAY over the line.

ALM
August 10th, 2008, 10:58 PM
am I the only one noticing or does it seem the veterans apart from phelps look flat. ? hoff (maybe bit off more than she can chew) yes, rice is swimming great, coughlin looked tired, hansen looked tired. they all look tired last 10 meters especially.

They said during the daytime coverage today that several of the US swimmers have been fighting intestinal problems - Kara Lynn Joyce, Lochte, and someone else (can't remember who).

pwolf66
August 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I cried when Katie got touched out. I thought she absolutely had it. What a great race. Way to go Katie.

ande
August 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM
that was huge
I am so psyched
i thought no way

but lezak found it

USMSarah
August 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
that was huge
I am so psyched
i thought no way

but lezak found it

Phenomenal. I was like, it's over with 25 meters left... and Lezak turned the afterburners on. What a swim for all of them - I will not be able to sleep after watching that!!!!!

WOW!!!

funkyfish
August 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I hurt my shoulder waiving my fist in the air. Tried not to wake the kids. I love it when trash talkers get theirs.
:bouncing::bouncing::bouncing:

ande
August 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM
just stellar
killer 2nd 50 by phelps 24.20

1 4 USA - United States 3:08.24 WR
PHELPS Michael 0.75 23.31 47.51 (2) 47.51
WEBER-GALE Garrett 0.06 21.89 47.02 (1) 1:34.53
JONES Cullen 0.38 22.68 47.65 (2) 2:22.18
LEZAK Jason 0.04 21.50 46.06 (1) 3:08.24

2 5 FRA - France 3:08.32 0.08 ER
LEVEAUX Amaury 0.77 23.39 47.91 (4) 47.91
GILOT Fabien 0.16 21.98 47.05 (2) 1:34.96
BOUSQUET Frederick 0.08 21.96 46.63 (1) 2:21.59
BERNARD Alain 0.19 21.27 46.73 (2) 3:08.32

3 3 AUS - Australia 3:09.91 1.67 OC
SULLIVAN Eamon 0.71 22.48 47.24 WR (1) 47.24
LAUTERSTEIN Andrew 0.25 22.19 47.87 (3) 1:35.11
CALLUS Ashley 0.28 22.44 47.55 (3) 2:22.66
TARGETT Matt 0.29 22.17 47.25 (3) 3:09.91

phdude
August 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
what an absolutely out-of-this-world swim from lezak. he left bernard looking like he was swimming through quicksand. did he get weaker or lezak get that much stronger? look at the dvr of the last 5 meters, lezak is whipping the water so hard to make up the difference, he's almost coming up out of the water!

LindsayNB
August 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Check out the drafting. What was Bernard thinking?

JMiller
August 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Other news,
Canada - 6th, 3/hundreths off the previous 4x100 WR
Brent Hayden leads off with *47.56* hmmmm...

geochuck
August 11th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I wonder what he eats for breakfast http://healthandfitness.sympatico.msn.ca/Secrets+of+the+Olympians/dietfitness/ContentPosting_RW?isfa=1&newsitemid=255959&feedname=RODALE-RUNNERWORLD&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=False

SwimStud
August 11th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I can't believe GBR has 3 (2g's) medals aready! Missed the 400M though b/c of driving; sounds like it was good and tight though.

Sonic Swimmer78
August 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM
It's been a while since I've posted here, so what the hey. I never thought I'd see such enthusiasm for Swimming on TV. Michael Phelps totally dominated, with Ryan Lochte coming in at a clooooose second. See, I wish they'd televise swimming more, but not to the point where it becomes too commercialized, like the NFL.

Chrissy
August 11th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I cried when Katie got touched out. I thought she absolutely had it. What a great race. Way to go Katie.

OMG I know the look on her face after the swim she looked like Liesel Jones did back at the Athens Olympics when everything was going wrong and it looks to be going wrong with Katie Hoff at this Olympics. It all started with 400IM Stephanie Rice beat her by a mile to get Gold and she totally smashed Hoff's WR that Hoff had set only a few months ago at the US Olympic Trials, that must of hurt Hoff to see her WR getting smashed not by one girl but two. Then today she go out touched on the wall in the 400m Freestyle final, I too thought Katie Hoff had the Gold in the bag, but what a swim from the British Girl WOW!

It will be interesting to see how Katie Hoff will handle it in her other races. She has the 200IM next I think, but Stephanie Rice looks soooo good right now after winning the 400IM in WR time, she'll be very hard to beat in this race. Steph looks good to brake her own WR in the 200IM, she is swimming great and she looks good in the pool!

Jeff Commings
August 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
For those who live in the half of the country unable to see swimming live on television, you can go to the internet and find live feeds.

Some folks at Brendan Hansen Online found this: http://www.stoogetv.com/player.html. It's a very good feed, using the same cameras NBC picks up on, but there are more underwater shots for those of us who know real swimming is done underwater. In the 200 free semis, they showed Michael's last turn underwater. All 10 meters of it. There is no commentary at all.

For all the money they put up to "force" the IOC to change the swimming lineup, you would think NBC would let the entire country see Phelps go for eight live. After watching the relay on the computer tonight, I knew everyone west of the Mississippi had no clue what just happened. And that's just shameful for NBC.

ande
August 11th, 2008, 05:53 AM
great article

Relayed Gratification
http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/08/11/relayed_gratification/

tjrpatt
August 11th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Gosh, Manadau from France got 8th in the 400 Free. I watched her profile and his life has turned into the Hills. He falls for this Italian, moves to Italy, they break up, he dates her rival and the ex-boyfriend and rival allegedly leak nude photos of her. As the kids would say, Laure is a "hot mess" right now. The Italian didn't do that well in the 400 free last night but yet, she breaks the world record at prelims in the 200 free. Go figure

What was with Katie Hoff's sour puss. Yes, she got touched out by a super slim margin, but she went her best, correct! She has other races and she got two medals so far. Cheer up. Magnesum got the silver in the 100 fly and she acted like she won American Idol.

ande
August 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
200 fly solid swims

1 4 PHELPS Michael USA 0.75 (3) 26.12 (3) 55.44
29.32 (2) 1:25.01
29.57 1:53.70
28.69 OR

2 3 ALMEIDA Kaio BRA 0.75 (4) 26.17 (1) 55.07
28.90 (1) 1:24.54
29.47 1:54.65
30.11 0.95

3 6 MATSUDA Takeshi JPN 0.73 (2) 26.03 (2) 55.09
29.06 (3) 1:25.10
30.01 1:55.06
29.96 1.36

4 5 SKVORTSOV Nikolay RUS 0.79 (5) 26.18 (5) 55.70
29.52 (5) 1:26.08
30.38 1:55.33
29.25 1.63

1 5 WU Peng CHN 0.74 (7) 26.60 (6) 56.27
29.67 (6) 1:26.37
30.10 1:55.39

2 4 STOVALL Gil USA 0.63 (6) 26.58 (5) 55.92
29.34 (4) 1:25.96
30.04 1:55.42
29.46 0.03

1 2 CSEH Laszlo HUN 0.75 (3) 26.09 (3) 55.15
29.06 (1) 1:24.74
29.59 1:54.48

2 4 KORZENIOWSKI Pawel POL 0.80 (2) 25.83 (1) 54.97
29.14 (2) 1:24.93
29.96 1:55.21
30.28 0.73

3 5 BURMESTER Moss NZL 0.69 (7) 26.45 (4) 55.75
29.30 (6) 1:26.11
30.36 1:55.80
29.69 1.32

4 6 JUKIC Dinko AUT 0.75 (6) 26.39 (6) 56.08
29.69 (4) 1:25.88
29.80 1:55.96
30.08 1.48

ande
August 11th, 2008, 09:29 AM
took 2:12.94 to make top 16

Heat 3

1 4 COUGHLIN Natalie USA 0.69 (1) 27.10 (1) 1:00.72
33.62 (1) 1:39.64
38.92 2:11.63

2 6 HJORTH-HANSEN Julie DEN 0.78 (3) 28.38 (4) 1:02.66
34.28 (2) 1:40.43
37.77 2:11.99
31.56 0.36

3 2 KITAGAWA Asami JPN 0.82 (6) 28.90 (8) 1:03.87
34.97 (5) 1:41.55
37.68 2:12.47
30.92 0.84

4 1 LI Jiaxing CHN 0.75 (4) 28.70 (5) 1:02.69
33.99 (6) 1:42.16
39.47 2:12.53
30.37 0.90

5 7 WILKINSON Julia CAN 0.80 (7) 29.25 (3) 1:02.64
33.39 (7) 1:42.18
39.54 2:12.56
30.38 0.93

6 5 BELMONTE Mireia ESP 0.87 (5) 28.76 (6) 1:02.85
34.09 (3) 1:41.03
38.18 2:12.75
31.72 1.12

7 3 PAYNE Keri-Anne GBR 0.72 (2) 28.32 (2) 1:01.18
32.86 (4) 1:41.23
40.05 2:12.78
31.55 1.15

Heat 4

1 3 COUTTS Alicia AUS 0.87 (2) 28.69 (=4) 1:02.72
34.03 (1) 1:40.39
37.67 2:11.55

2 4 HOFF Katie USA 0.81 (4) 28.75 (3) 1:02.61
33.86 (3) 1:41.22
38.61 2:11.58
30.36 0.03

3 5 MUFFAT Camille FRA 0.84 (5) 28.80 (1) 1:02.04
33.24 (2) 1:40.41
38.37 2:12.16
31.75 0.61

4 1 KARPEEVA Svetlana RUS 0.75 (8) 29.00 (6) 1:03.45
34.45 (4) 1:41.61
38.16 2:12.94
31.33 1.39

Heat 5

1 3 MILEY Hannah GBR 0.75 (7) 29.34 (4) 1:02.03
32.69 (1) 1:39.84
37.81 2:11.72

2 4 RICE Stephanie AUS 0.92 (1) 28.44 (3) 1:01.79
33.35 (3) 1:40.03
38.24 2:12.07
32.04 0.35

3 5 COVENTRY Kirsty ZIM 0.74 (5) 29.13 (1) 1:01.49
32.36 (2) 1:39.91
38.42 2:12.18
32.27 0.46

4 6 BARANOWSKA Katarzyna POL 0.78 (3) 28.71 (5) 1:02.47
33.76 (4) 1:40.80
38.33 2:12.47
31.67 0.75

5 2 VERRASZTO Evelin HUN 0.85 (2) 28.51 (2) 1:01.51
33.00 (6) 1:41.97
40.46 2:12.52
30.55 0.80

geochuck
August 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
They have been good getting the results up.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/resultsandschedules/index.html

USMSarah
August 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
What was with Katie Hoff's sour puss... Magnesum got the silver in the 100 fly and she acted like she won American Idol.

Magnuson is a class act - looking forward to seeing her again in the medley relay.

As for Hoff... who knows. Not worried about her, if she medals in all her events, won't that be the most ever in a single Olympics by a woman? However, she's 19... she will be back for 2012.

knelson
August 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
What was with Katie Hoff's sour puss. Yes, she got touched out by a super slim margin, but she went her best, correct!

No, her best time is a 4:02.20 from the Missouri Grand Prix meet in February. I don't really think the time had anything to do with it, though. She was disappointed she got out-touched in an event she looked to be in command of at the 300. The British girl, Adlington, outsplit Hoff in the last 50 by 1.5 seconds!

Ian Smith
August 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hoff lost because she touched the wall with a flat hand (a common masters problem!)

If she had touched with her finger tips outstretched , she could have won.

This beats growing finger nails and is more effective (but risks jamming a finger or breaking a hand?)

ehoch
August 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Even the best swimmers in the world can make big mistakes -- Hoff's finish was just terrible. Not only did she finish with a flat hand, she also stopped her entire momentum and was already raising her body up (arching her back)into the wall.

I feel bad for her - she swam the perfect race with a bad finish - which cost her gold. Coaches are going to show this one over and over to their swimmers for years.

Jazz Hands
August 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I'm seeing a lot of bad finish technique at this meet. Lots of heads popping up.

tjburk
August 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
It almost looked like she thought she had it....don't remember seeing her look over that way.....kind of coasted in and touched flat....OOOPS!

pwolf66
August 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Pellegrini lowers the 200m WR.

I predict she will break 1:55

pwolf66
August 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
What does Phelps go in the 200? I predict he breaks 1:43.

mctrusty
August 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
What does Phelps go in the 200? I predict he breaks 1:43.

Seconded. The man is on fire.

ande
August 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Phelps lost his voice

"You could tell I was pretty excited," said Phelps, who is trying to win eight golds at the Beijing Games. "I lost my voice and I was definitely pretty emotional out there."

geochuck
August 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
He could have blown a gasket with his actions after the relay win. I hope he did not hurt himself.

gull
August 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
He could have blown a gasket with his actions after the relay win. I hope he did not hurt himself.

Fortunately most gaskets are made in China.

tjburk
August 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Phelps....low 1:42......like 1:42.2 or 3 or so!!!! Maybe even a high 1:41....I think that is stretching it though!!!

Frank Thompson
August 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Tonight you have four finals and I believe in two of them you could have favorites that will not win. Tonight's favorites are Phelps, Coughlin, Piersol, and Jones.

In the 200 Free I believe this could be one of Phelps toughest events. The one swimmer that I believe can beat Phelps more than Lochte and Crocker can is Peter VDK. I have seen him beat Phelps in two 400 Free events and one 200 Free event in the last 2 years. He has never beaten Phelps in Major Championships but no one has except Crocker at 2005 Worlds in the 100 Fly but that was so long ago. If Phelps wins this race, then I really believe he will win the 8 gold medals. I predict he will win but if VDK can put a race together like he did untapered in Jan 08 setting an American Record in the 500 Free at 4:08 then he has a chance.

In the Women's 100 Back its going to be the two swimmers that have broken the last 2 World Records in this event and everyone expects it will be the two center lanes to battle it out. Natalie was a favorite at the start of the Olympics but I am not sure about that now. Kristy Coventry has always been good at this event and from lane 1 in 2004 made a move and if the race would have been 2 more yards, would have defeated Natalie for gold. The way Coventry is swimming in this meet (400 IM) I would have to say she would be a slight favorite. Unlike Phelps and his competitors, Coughlin has lost to Coventry before in this event at the 2005 World Championships. The only way I see Natlie repeating as the Olympic Champion, is she will have to have the best breakouts from the underwater SDK at both the start an turn because Coventry is going to put that charge on in the last 50. Also if she hits the lane markers like she did this morning in both the 100 Back and the back portion in the 200 IM, then she is not going to get it done and Coventry will be the Olympic Champion. I make Coventry a slight favorite for these reasons. One if not both will break the new world record of :58.77 that was set in the semi finals.

The Men's 100 Back will be a war with the top 6 swimmers from the semi finals having a shot to win. Aaron Piersol will have to break his own World Record and might have to do a time of :52.6 to win. I make him a slight favorite over Grevers and Stoeckel. Vyatchain has been good for years but has never been able to put up a swim in the finals to beat others. He will have to do that and more if he is going to win tonight. I think this field is a lot harder for Persol to repeat then the 200 Back. Aaron can become the second swimmer in USA history to repeat in this event and only the fourth person to repeat in Swimming history.

In the Women's 100 Breast it will be Lethal Liesel all the way. I think the mishaps of the past are done and she is just to good for the field to lose the gold this time. Soni and Jendrick have a chance for a medal here.

tjrpatt
August 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
The Pieter VDK is not in the final so it should be a piece of cake for Phelps. Plus, I don't think that Pieter is that much of a threat to Phelps in this race anyway. Phelps really improved in his 200 free from Athens. It is really amazing to be the world record holder in your 5th best event.

Frank Thompson
August 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
The Pieter VDK is not in the final so it should be a piece of cake for Phelps. Plus, I don't think that Pieter is that much of a threat to Phelps in this race anyway. Phelps really improved in his 200 free from Athens. It is really amazing to be the world record holder in your 5th best event.

A little confusion here. I said PVK, meaning Peter VANDERKAAY from the USA and Club Wolverine where he worked out with Phelps every day and not Pieter VAN DEN HOOGENBAND which would have been PVD and not PVK. PVK is the Number 1 seed from the semi finals with a time of 1:45.76

ande
August 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Mel Monroe Stewart sent a message to the members of GOLD MEDAL MEL.

Subject: 4x100 from inside the Cube--PANDEMONIUM!!

"David Marsh, Rowdy Gaines, Dan Hicks, Josh Davis, Cullen Jones' mom and many,
many crazed, stunned swim fans react to the Greatest Relay In History...check it
out at GOLD MEDAL MEL. For anyone not on Facebook, www.goldmedalmel.com."

http://www.goldmedalmel.typepad.com/

cantwait4bike
August 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
do the guys on the prelim 4x100 relay also get a gold medal?

ande
August 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM
YES

do the guys on the prelim 4x100 relay also get a gold medal?

tjrpatt
August 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Did anyone have problems sleeping after watching that great relay. I could fall asleep til 1AM EST and I had to get up at 5AM for practice which I did. A friend of mine told me that had the same issue but missed practice this morning. The relay was a nice change after Hansen's tragic performance. That race was like watching a ten car pileup on the PA Turnpike.

USMSarah
August 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Did anyone have problems sleeping after watching that great relay. I could fall asleep til 1AM EST and I had to get up at 5AM for practice which I did. A friend of mine told me that had the same issue but missed practice this morning. The relay was a nice change after Hansen's tragic performance. That race was like watching a ten car pileup on the PA Turnpike.

It took me forever to fall asleep after watching that relay... my husband and I went crazy and it was hard to come down from that. I experienced so many emotions... but I hope those 4 boys got plenty of sleep. It definitely cheered me up after Brendan's loss.

:bow: :banana::banana::banana::banana:

pwolf66
August 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Um, NBC? How about showing the freakin Women's 200 Free semis??? Schmucks.

USMSarah
August 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM
They didn't show the womens 200 im semis either! Boo!

However, the men's gymnastic team is doing a very good job right now.

Chrissy
August 12th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Liesel Jones what a swim, she left her oponents behind thinking 'how did she get out there so fast' and she went for it :) I thought she was gonna brake her own WR she was on the line but it just got away from her right in the end, but she wanted that Gold medal so badly. Great swim and one that Liesel Jones deserved. I almost got teary eyed when she started to cry during her lap of honour after the medal ceremony, you truely deserve it Lethal Leisel, the best Breaststoker in the world ever by a country mile!:woot: Now bring on the 200m Breaststoke she'll blow them all over, I feel she could brake her own WR in that event.

Jeff Commings
August 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Um, NBC? How about showing the freakin Women's 200 Free semis??? Schmucks.

They didn't show the womens 200 im semis either! Boo!

Live Internet feed (http://www.stoogetv.com/player.html), 2.

NBC, 0

The women's 200 IM semis were great. As far as setting up the final, it was like watching the prelim of the men's 400 free relay. I got chills thinking of the possibilities.

tjrpatt
August 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Daniel Gupta looks in top gear in the 200 Breast. I guess that he only goes on the juice during Olympic years. Allegedly, that is the reason for his silver medal performance at Athens. That, and Hansen's less than stellar performance in that race. Gupta wasn't doing crap for the last three years. But, in elite swimming, it all matters what you do at the Olympics. It is so tragic not to see Hansen in that race.

They really need to modify the Olympic selection process a little. There is no reason that Hansen shouldn't be swimming the 200 breast at Beijing. Yes, he got fourth at trials but he had the fastest US Time for the last year. Then again, he would have been just as useless in this event as he was in the 100 Breast. He better get his act together for the Medley Relay so Phelps can get his 8 golds.

ande
August 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
US looks good for the 4 x 200 relay

looks like Berens made the night relay, along with phelps lochte and PVK

everyone had safe exchanges

1 4 USA - United States 7:04.66 OR

WALTERS David 0.77 24.73 51.18 1:18.63 1:46.57 (3) 1:46.57

BERENS Ricky 0.42 24.40 51.47 1:18.64 1:45.47 (1) 3:32.04

VENDT Erik 0.41 25.38 53.05 1:20.73 1:47.11 (1) 5:19.15

KELLER Klete 0.38 24.74 51.28 1:18.22 1:45.51 (1) 7:04.66

here's the current WR that USA did in Melbourne (AUS)

WR 7:03.24 24.67 51.43 1:18.62 1:45.36
2:09.44 1:36.37 3:04.00 3:31.22
3:56.29 4:23.41 4:50.49 5:17.53
5:41.33 6:08.41 6:35.98 7:03.24

pwolf66
August 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
US looks good for the 4 x 200 relay

looks like Berens made the night relay, along with phelps lochte and PVK

everyone had safe exchanges

here's the current WR that USA did in Melbourne (AUS)

WR 7:03.24 24.67 51.43 1:18.62 1:45.36
2:09.44 1:36.37 3:04.00 3:31.22
3:56.29 4:23.41 4:50.49 5:17.53
5:41.33 6:08.41 6:35.98 7:03.24

What was up with Vendt? Was he just cruising?

Also, do they go under 7:00? I dunno. I don't think they will be pushed into close relay exchanges so I doubt it.

mctrusty
August 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
What was up with Vendt? Was he just cruising?

Also, do they go under 7:00? I dunno. I don't think they will be pushed into close relay exchanges so I doubt it.

I think they go under 7:00. The slowest split in finals is likely to be ~1:45. Phelps and Lochte will be under.

The Fortress
August 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Daniel Gupta looks in top gear in the 200 Breast. I guess that he only goes on the juice during Olympic years. Allegedly, that is the reason for his silver medal performance at Athens. That, and Hansen's less than stellar performance in that race. Gupta wasn't doing crap for the last three years. But, in elite swimming, it all matters what you do at the Olympics. It is so tragic not to see Hansen in that race.

They really need to modify the Olympic selection process a little. There is no reason that Hansen shouldn't be swimming the 200 breast at Beijing. Yes, he got fourth at trials but he had the fastest US Time for the last year. Then again, he would have been just as useless in this event as he was in the 100 Breast. He better get his act together for the Medley Relay so Phelps can get his 8 golds.

It's not "tragic." And he's not "useless." Odd words to apply to sport.

Last night was amazing!!

aquageek
August 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
They really need to modify the Olympic selection process a little. There is no reason that Hansen shouldn't be swimming the 200 breast at Beijing.

Um, no he shouldn't. He is a great swimmer and appears to be a good person but he had the same rules as everyone else and didn't make the cut. That's what makes the Trials so special and, in my opinion, as exciting as the Olympics themselves.

mctrusty
August 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Last night was amazing!!

I agree with Fort.

It's not as if he swam badly. He just didn't improve his time where others did. Any swimmer hits plateaus.

The plateaus are also a reason why the selection process is fine. They want to be getting people that are peaking or close to peaking in their events.

hofffam
August 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Do you mean Daniel Gyurta from Hungary?

ande
August 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
don't you love it when a woman tells you that

Last night was amazing!!

tjrpatt
August 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Do you mean Daniel Gyurta from Hungary?

Correct. Forget the spelling.

tjrpatt
August 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Last night was amazing!!

I guess that "useless" was too harsh. It was just sad to see the greatest breaststroker not be able to show what is a capable of. I hope that he continues in the sport for at least a few more years. Sometimes, the greatest swimmers are not meant to be Olympic champions.

USMSarah
August 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I'm amazed at the lack of medal ceremonies being aired... I don't care if it's an American or not - it's still fun to watch everyone get their medals.

geochuck
August 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
We start watching the Olympics on CBC when the event is on. I have seen lots of award ceremonies however not all.

We get lots of coverage but they are trying to cover all the events while they are in action. I would rather see the events then the awards ceremonies.

What an amazing finish in the relay. The 100 backstroke, his dream of winning from lane two came true.

USMSarah
August 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
The 100 backstroke, his dream of winning from lane two came true.

I thought it was Hansen who said that - winning in lane 2 for the 100 breast.

Warren
August 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM

yeah i thought it was too

geochuck
August 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
You are probably right I am still feeling the effects of my sick last week. I am still having trouble keeping things straight with these headaches I have had over the last six days. You know me I think backstroke or breastroke are the same stroke and do not swim either one.

geochuck
August 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Coverage starts at 7pm on CBC in Vancouver.

08/12 10:09am Women's 200m Freestyle -- Semifinals

08/12 10:16am Men's 200m Freestyle -- Final

08/12 10:23am Women's 100m Backstroke -- Final

08/12 10:31am Men's 100m Backstroke -- Final

08/12 10:50am Women's 100m Breaststroke -- Final

08/12 11:10am Men's 200m Butterfly -- Semifinals

08/12 12:10pm Women's 200m Individual Medley -- Semifinals

08/12 6:57pm Men's 100m Freestyle -- Heats

08/12 7:19pm Women's 200m Butterfly -- Heats

08/12 7:49pm Men's 200m Breaststroke -- Heats

08/12 8:05pm Men's 4x200m Freestyle Relay -- Heats

gull
August 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Given that Crocker has a history of false starts, will he swim in the prelims of the medley relay, given that a DQ would end Phelps's pursuit of eight golds?

ande
August 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM
if crocker swims the relay in the prelims
he won't false start
prelim swimmers have strict safe start marching orders

Given that Crocker has a history of false starts, will he swim in the prelims of the medley relay, given that a DQ would end Phelps's pursuit of eight golds?

ande
August 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM
any predictions for tonight

Wed Aug 13

10:03 Men's 100m Freestyle Semifinal 1

10:08 Men's 100m Freestyle Semifinal 2

10:14 Women's 200m Freestyle Final

10:21 Men's 200m Butterfly Final

10:28 Women's 200m Butterfly Semifinal 1

10:34 Women's 200m Butterfly Semifinal 2

10:50 Men's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal 1

10:56 Men's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal 2

11:12 Women's 200m Individual Medley Final

11:19 Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final

mctrusty
August 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
any predictions for tonight

Wed Aug 13

10:03 Men's 100m Freestyle Semifinal 1

10:08 Men's 100m Freestyle Semifinal 2

10:14 Women's 200m Freestyle Final

10:21 Men's 200m Butterfly Final

10:28 Women's 200m Butterfly Semifinal 1

10:34 Women's 200m Butterfly Semifinal 2

10:50 Men's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal 1

10:56 Men's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal 2

11:12 Women's 200m Individual Medley Final

11:19 Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final

I think Phelps will medal.

ande
August 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM
did you notice in the womens 200 free final Pelligrini who broke the WR and won Gold was wearing 2 suits (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=145613&postcount=800)?
look at the photos and play back the video
not sure what sort of suit she wore underneath
but you could see the undersuit poking out a little on the sides in the front and
straps across her back

1 3 PELLEGRINI Federica ITA 0.80
(2) 27.27
(1) 28.65 55.92
(1) 29.65 1:25.57
29.25 1:54.82 WR

here's her comment
"Pellegrini, who admitted she wore a training suit underneath her racing suit for fear of the high-tech costume ripping mid-race"

pwolf66
August 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Jeez, Weber-Gale goes 47.11 and misses the final. Wow, these guys are FAST.

ande
August 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
200 fly semis looks like breeden and hersey got in

heat 1

1 5 JIAO Liuyang CHN 0.79 (3) 28.37 (5) 1:01.52
33.15 (3) 1:34.22
32.70 2:06.42

2 4 MONGEL Aurore FRA 0.83 (4) 28.75 (2) 1:01.11
32.36 (2) 1:34.20
33.09 2:07.21
33.01 0.79

3 2 LOWE Jemma GBR 0.70 (1) 28.04 (1) 59.97
31.93 (1) 1:33.03
33.06 2:07.87
34.84 1.45
4 3 HOSHI Natsumi JPN 0.72 (5) 28.79 (4) 1:01.35
32.56 (4) 1:34.66
33.31 2:07.93
33.27 1.51
5 6 JENSEN Micha Kathrine Oestergaar DEN 0.77 (2) 28.20 (3) 1:01.15
32.95 (5) 1:34.86
33.71 2:09.29
34.43 2.87
6 7 LACROIX Audrey CAN 0.80 (7) 29.23 (6) 1:01.53
32.30 (6) 1:34.94
33.41 2:09.74
34.80 3.32
7 1 GRANLUND Petra SWE 0.80 (6) 29.20 (7) 1:02.31
33.11 (7) 1:36.34
34.03 2:09.79
33.45 3.37
8 8 MEAKLIM Katheryn RSA 0.86 (8) 29.79 (8) 1:02.99
33.20 (8) 1:37.29
34.30 2:11.74
34.45 5.32

heat 2

1 4 LIU Zige CHN 0.81 (2) 27.89 (2) 59.72
31.83 (2) 1:32.66
32.94 2:06.25
33.59 AS

2 7 SCHIPPER Jessicah AUS 0.66 (1) 27.83 (1) 59.21
31.38 (1) 1:32.31
33.10 2:06.34
34.03 0.09

3 3 JEDRZEJCZAK Otylia POL 0.79 (5) 28.99 (4) 1:01.20
32.21 (3) 1:33.82
32.62 2:06.78
32.96 0.53

4 5 NAKANISHI Yuko JPN 0.69 (3) 28.64 (3) 1:00.86
32.22 (4) 1:33.91
33.05 2:06.96
33.05 0.71

4 6 HERSEY Kathleen USA 0.82 (6) 29.16 (5) 1:01.36
32.20 (5) 1:34.16
32.80 2:06.96
32.80 0.71

6 2 BREEDEN Elaine USA 0.66 (4) 28.95 (6) 1:01.64
32.69 (6) 1:34.37
32.73 2:07.73
33.36 1.48

7 1 HAMILL Samantha AUS 0.75 (7) 29.23 (7) 1:01.92
32.69 (8) 1:35.82
33.90 2:09.58
33.76 3.33
8 8 GANDY Ellen GBR 0.84 (8) 29.36 (8) 1:02.01
32.65 (7) 1:35.75
33.74 2:10.60
34.85 4.35

jaegermeister
August 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
did you notice in the womens 200 free final Pelligrini who broke the WR and won Gold was wearing 2 suits (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=145613&postcount=800)?

This was unmistakable. I saw it right away. What are the rules for this, anyhow?

Hoff is having a tough meet. She Should have won the 400. Not sure if the 200 was insufficient early speed or insufficient horsepower. I feel for her, as well as Hansen.

zanadu
August 12th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Jeez, Weber-Gale goes 47.11 and misses the final. Wow, these guys are FAST.48.20 for Weber-Gale actually, but yea it's a shame.

zanadu
August 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM
This was unmistakable. I saw it right away. What are the rules for this, anyhow?

Hoff is having a tough meet. She Should have won the 400. Not sure if the 200 was insufficient early speed or insufficient horsepower. I feel for her, as well as Hansen.I feel that Hoff has the horsepower but doesn't quite know how to pace herself. Her splits don't make much sense.

JoeBob
August 12th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Jeez, Weber-Gale goes 47.11 and misses the final. Wow, these guys are FAST.

He went 48.12. I am so bummed. His goggles filled up or something.

ande
August 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
men's 200 br semis
shanteau is out spann is in

TV showed womens gymnastics
2:09.08 seated him 3rd should get him in the finals
excellent swim

ande

heat 1

1 3 KITAJIMA Kosuke JPN 0.77 (1) 29.16 (1) 1:01.50
32.34 (1) 1:34.33
32.83 2:08.61
34.28 OR
2 2 SPANN Scott USA 0.71 (3) 29.29 (2) 1:02.06
32.77 (2) 1:35.56
33.50 2:09.08
33.52 0.47
3 4 BOSSINI Paolo ITA 0.92 (7) 29.96 (5) 1:02.77
32.81 (4) 1:36.08
33.31 2:09.95
33.87 1.34
4 5 DUBOSCQ Hugues FRA 0.74 (2) 29.23 (3) 1:02.20
32.97 (3) 1:35.76
33.56 2:09.97
34.21 1.36
5 7 BREE Andrew IRL 0.79 (5) 29.76 (4) 1:02.75
32.99 (5) 1:36.21
33.46 2:10.16
33.95 1.55
6 6 DIERING William RSA 0.66 (4) 29.63 (6) 1:02.87
33.24 (6) 1:36.34
33.47 2:10.21
33.87 1.60 AF
7 1 BORYSIK Igor UKR 0.85 (6) 29.84 (7) 1:03.08
33.24 (7) 1:36.68
33.60 2:10.99
34.31 2.38
8 8 SNYDERS Glenn NZL 0.79 (8) 29.99 (8) 1:03.61
33.62 (8) 1:37.69
34.08 2:12.07
34.38 3.46

heat 2

1 3 BROWN Mike Andrew CAN 0.78 (2) 29.48 (2) 1:02.16
32.68 (1) 1:35.20
33.04 2:08.84
2 1 RICKARD Brenton AUS 0.86 (1) 29.26 (1) 1:02.05
32.79 (2) 1:35.63
33.58 2:09.72
34.09 0.88
3 4 GYURTA Daniel HUN 0.81 (6) 29.97 (6) 1:03.33
33.36 (4) 1:36.49
33.16 2:09.73
33.24 0.89
4 5 FACCI Loris ITA 0.85 (8) 30.36 (7) 1:03.74
33.38 (7) 1:36.83
33.09 2:09.75
32.92 0.91
5 2 VERSFELD Neil RSA 0.69 (3) 29.66 (4) 1:02.85
33.19 (3) 1:36.21
33.36 2:10.06
33.85 1.22 AF
6 6 SHANTEAU Eric USA 0.74 (7) 30.08 (5) 1:03.32
33.24 (6) 1:36.71
33.39 2:10.10
33.39 1.26
7 8 GILCHRIST Kristopher GBR 0.85 (4) 29.80 (3) 1:02.83
33.03 (5) 1:36.52
33.69 2:10.27
33.75 1.43
8 7 POLYAKOV Vladislav KAZ 0.77 (5) 29.96 (8) 1:03.75
33.79 (8) 1:37.70
33.95 2:11.87
34.17 3.03

breastroker
August 12th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Someone mentioned Brendan Hansen as the greastest american breaststroker.

He is much like Ed Moses, never winning the Olympics. But Ed Moses had better technique, better starts, better turns, and when he went short course meters swam some times that are still totally amazing. His 200 sc meters time should have led to a 2:06 long course time.

He screwed up at the 2004 trials and didn't try the pool during the various early swim sessions long before the trials. His asthma just killed his swims. Breaststroke is the worst stroke when your asthma is bad. Ed had great starts, often coming up a meter a head of the other swimmers, same with each turn. But try staying under when your lungs are bursting!!

hofffam
August 12th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I feel that Hoff has the horsepower but doesn't quite know how to pace herself. Her splits don't make much sense.

Hoff is a great competitor but it looks like she is out of horsepower. Coughlin outsplit Hoff in breaststroke. I would never have thought that would happen. She had less time to recover than Phelps - and she isn't Phelps.

JoeBob
August 13th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Someone mentioned Brendan Hansen as the greastest american breaststroker.

He is much like Ed Moses, never winning the Olympics. But Ed Moses had better technique, better starts, better turns, and when he went short course meters swam some times that are still totally amazing. His 200 sc meters time should have led to a 2:06 long course time.

I still remember that beastly swim.

breastroker
August 13th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Any one notice EVERY Phelps race is a World Record?

Anyone remember the last person to swim every race in a world record?

Jeff Commings
August 13th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Mark Spitz.

KeithM
August 13th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I feel that Hoff has the horsepower but doesn't quite know how to pace herself. Her splits don't make much sense. She's not great kicking to the finish relative to most of her top competitors. Never has been. We saw that when Schmitt almost caught her at trials in the 200.

Her strength is in the middle of races. If she's to have any shot in the 800 she's needs to put them away heading into the final lap. That will be difficult ... especially the way Filippi and Adlington have been swimming.

knelson
August 13th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Anyone remember the last person to swim every race in a world record?

I imagine you're thinking of Spitz, but I'm sure there's been someone since Spitz to win all their races in WR time. Granted they would have swum a few less races!

ande
August 13th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Phelps rubbed his eyes and said climbing from the pool, "I can't see anything." A pair of leaky goggles kept him from even seeing the wall as he touched.

"My goggles kept filling up with water during the race," Phelps said. "I wanted a world record, I wanted 1:51 or better, but in the circumstances not too bad I guess."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-olyswim13-2008aug13,0,5691449.story

ande
August 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/11/AR2008081102035.html

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2008/08/12/TopStories/Olympic.Athletes.Use.Promote.Ut.Profs.Sports.Drink-3398371.shtml

Chrissy
August 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
WOW Rebecca Soni did a great time in the heats of the 200m Breaststroke OR time great swim Liesel got second fastest time. Liesel didn't look to be bother with the time Rebecca did, this is looking to be a good race but I still think Liesel will win and possibly brake her own WR. Rebecca will push Liesel like she did at "the Dual In The Pool' last year but Liesel come over the top of her in the last lap I don't think Liesel will let Rebecca get out to far ahead of her if anything I reckon Liesel will try and get out early. It really should be a good race to watch! Bring on the Semis tomorrow morning!

tjrpatt
August 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM
It is all up to Scott Spann to put the upset in the 200 breast.

It looks like Lochte is back in gear. I am on Team Lochte for the 200 back. Plus, he better beat that Hungarian guy in the 200 IM. Ryan can't let this guy beat him beat again like he did in the 400 IM.

Is it me or Coughlin have gone faster in the 200IM and maybe got the silver.

What happened to Amanda Beard. She got 18th in the heats. I guess that she was too busy getting press and hanging out with the Men's Basketball team to prepare for her race. Soni is doing well.

I hope that the girls 4X200 relay can't get it together for gold.

swimcat
August 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
hoff has let the first race get into her head. we have all done that.
i don't expect much of her. look to the youngsters like hersey(go swat)
that have nothing to lose and no pressure.

tjrpatt
August 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/news/nationalnews/phelps_pig_secret__hes_boy_gorge_124248.htm

Here is article from The NYPost about Phelps's diet.

USMSarah
August 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Is it me or Coughlin have gone faster in the 200IM and maybe got the silver.

Her backstroke leg looked terrible, Rice gained on her like backstroke was Natalie's worse stroke. Maybe she took the fly out too fast?

That is a shame about Beard's swim. Maybe she had too much time to think about it or whatever.

USMSarah
August 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/news/nationalnews/phelps_pig_secret__hes_boy_gorge_124248.htm

Here is article from The NYPost about Phelps's diet.

Shizam! I wonder how many calories he burns during all of his workouts. He is a horse!

ande
August 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
prelims

soni broke OR in 200 br
1 4 SONI Rebecca USA 0.77
(1) 32.74
(1) 36.30 1:09.04
(1) 36.43 1:45.47
36.70 2:22.17
OR

Lochte split
32.46 on br in his IM

LOCHTE Ryan USA 0.77
(3) 25.72
(2) 30.12 55.84
(1) 32.46 1:28.30
29.85 1:58.15

hofffam
August 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM
It was a waste of USOC money to send Beard to the Olympics. She was voted a team captain and swam a 2:27?

Soni on the other hand has her A game going....

Did you see Coughlin's 100 free prelims time? Faster than her leadoff in the 4x100 free relay.

JoeBob
August 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
prelims
Lochte split
32.46 on br in his IM

That's one fast leg! Think he can go 31 in finals?
If he does, Phelps may need a 26-low on the final lap to get him.

ande
August 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
exciting line up tonight Thu Aug 14 2008
starting 10 EST 09 CST

10:03 a.m Men's 200m Breaststroke Final

10:10 Women's 100m Freestyle Semifinal 1

10:15 Women's 100m Freestyle Semifinal 2

10:21 Men's 200m Backstroke Semifinal 1

10:27 Men's 200m Backstroke Semifinal 2

10:42 Women's 200m Butterfly Final

10:49 Men's 100m Freestyle Final

10:56 Women's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal 1

11:02 Women's 200m Breaststroke Semifinal 2

11:10 Men's 200m Individual Medley Semifinal 1

11:16 Men's 200m Individual Medley Semifinal 2

11:32 Women's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final

tjrpatt
August 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Poor Lochte, He only has a half hour to 40 minutes between events. I hope that when he wins the gold in the 200 back, they will do it after his 200 IM. His vingette today,"The World According to Lochte" was very entertaining. Between him and his dad, they could be reality TV gold. His dad kind of looks like Tony Soprano with a full head of hair.

Chrissy
August 14th, 2008, 12:55 AM
OMG woot well done to the girls what a swim taking the WR from the USA on their way to getting Gold. Our girls were the underdogs in this relay but to just come out and swim like they did in WR time to get the Gold medal it was just an amazing swim from our girls. Talk about the changing of the guard. Stephanie Rice OMG what a meet she is having 3 Gold medals wow she now joins some of the great names of Aussie swimming to get 3 golds at the one olympics like Petra Thomas (3 golds in Athens) Jodie Henry (3 golds in Athens) and others I'm sure I just can't remember who else. Eamon got silver in the 100m freestyle its a still great result he looked a little disappointed but he swam a good race the frenchman swam better on the day and he deserved it. Jess, ohhh Jess she swam great for a bronze both chinese girls were both just better on the day, congrats to the chinese girl on the WR good swim! Liesel and Soni will do battle tomorrow in the 200m Breaststroke, Soni again did a good time in the semis but I think Liesel switch off towrds the end she could have swam a better time then Soni but she did what she had to do to qualify. It you look at the of both semis Rebecca was huffing and puffing a bit at the end of her 200m Breaststroke while Liesel looked like she didn't brake a sweat. I still think Liesel will win tomorrow. Libby Trickett OMG the woman should go out and buy herself a lottery ticket, today was her lucky day. It was almost the biggest upset in swimming nearly my gosh she didn't swim like Libby Trickett swims but she just made it in the final of the 100m Freestyle cos the Chinese girl was DQ'd as she moved first off the blocks in the 2nd semi which she had won, wow talk about a lucky break for Libby.

Charge
August 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
The 100 Fly is Fast! Took a 52.0 just to make Semis. Serbian Cavic set an Olympic record with a 50.76, Crocker barely made it in with a 51.95 (13th out of 16). I predicted Phelps wold go 49.9 to 50.1 in the finals, looks like he may need to!

tjrpatt
August 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Wow! Katie Hoff and Kate Ziegler both bombed in the 800 Free. An Olympic distance final without an American woman is just insane. I guess that Katie was just worn out physically and mentally. She is only 19. She could come back in 4 years. She will just have to wait another 4 years for that L'Oreal or Neutrogena commercial!!!! I think that Natalie Coughlin is going to get those cosmetics and hair care commercials. Plus, she might even get some dough to release photos from her upcoming wedding. These are just thoughts. I have no idea if any of this stuff will happen.

The 100 Free should go to Coughlin. She was on fire in the semi. Her SDK is amazing in the sprint race.

Kitijama makes me wants to vomit profusely. What happened to the Hungarian guy in the 200 free.

It will be really cool if Rebecca Soni pulls the upset in the 200 Breast.

I am happy for Lezak with his bronze. It is really cool that he is peaking at 32. That French is freaking ripped. Eamon, it is time to eat something! On a side note, what was he thinking dumping Stephanie Rice.

I hope that Vanderkaay and Larson can get 1-2 in the 1500. That would be really cool.

USMSarah
August 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I'm ill about Crocker, Hoff and Ziegler's swims. There are no words.

Trickett is SO LUCKY she's in the 100 free finals... did you guys see the DQ?

Looking forward to the 200 IM and 200 breast tonight.

tjburk
August 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
When they showed the replay of that 100 Free....she definitely flinched prior to the buzzer.....

The Fortress
August 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Bummed for Hoff and Ziegler. As many have said, we need to have trials earlier so the athletes can get a mental break, train and re-taper.

Why doesn't Stephanie Rice swim anything besides the IMs?

I wish NBC wouldn't keep bumping a women's semi-final every night. At least on my coverage, they are.

I guess the Frenchies didn't just say "huh?" that time, Geek.

hofffam
August 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Wow! Katie Hoff and Kate Ziegler both bombed in the 800 Free. An Olympic distance final without an American woman is just insane. I guess that Katie was just worn out physically and mentally. She is only 19. She could come back in 4 years. She will just have to wait another 4 years for that L'Oreal or Neutrogena commercial!!!! I think that Natalie Coughlin is going to get those cosmetics and hair care commercials. Plus, she might even get some dough to release photos from her upcoming wedding. These are just thoughts. I have no idea if any of this stuff will happen.

The 100 Free should go to Coughlin. She was on fire in the semi. Her SDK is amazing in the sprint race.

Kitijama makes me wants to vomit profusely. What happened to the Hungarian guy in the 200 free.

It will be really cool if Rebecca Soni pulls the upset in the 200 Breast.

I am happy for Lezak with his bronze. It is really cool that he is peaking at 32. That French is freaking ripped. Eamon, it is time to eat something! On a side note, what was he thinking dumping Stephanie Rice.

I hope that Vanderkaay and Larson can get 1-2 in the 1500. That would be really cool.

I thought Kitajima's swim was awesome. He has an amazing breaststroke. Lezak's swim was great. Soni looks great too. With the exception of Coughlin our women are swimming poorly. Maybe Hoelzer will salvage some pride in the 200 back.