PDA

View Full Version : 5 Minute Weight Lifting Suggestions?

zegmal
May 29th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I recently read an article that mentioned recent studies showing you can get a decent workout by doing one set (10-12 reps to exhaustion). What time I have to exercise, I'd rather be in the water, but I can easily spare 5 minutes on my way out the door to hit some of the muscle groups in the weight room. Any one have suggestions for super fast workouts? Thanks.

swimshark
May 29th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I don't know about a 5 minute lifting routine but I can tell you that I don't lift more than 5-7 reps. If my muscles can take more than that many reps, then I go up to the next weight.

funkyfish
May 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
For a while I was reading about Mike Mentzer and his training where he'd warm up, then do one set of one exercise to failure and then that was it. He claimed to get results, and what I liked about his approach was the emphasis on spending more time away from the gym to allow your body to recover and get stronger.

I think it's possible to achieve results with a one set workout but I believe you really have to push the intensity level to make it work. I'd also say adequate warm-up would be a definite necessity.

I'd probably stick to compound exercises where you can lift heavier weight and incorporate as many muscles as possible - bench press, deadlift, squat, chins.
:weightlifter:

Slowswim
May 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I know one that takes 20 minutes and gets great results in strength. Special Ops use it.

pick 7 exercises:

Flat bench
incline bench
decline bench
military press
Lat pull down
tricep pul downs
curls

Do as many reps in 2 minutes as possible then move on as fast as possible to the next exercise. You have to do a minimum of 20 reps per. If you exceed 40, add weight. During the two minutes, you can take as many breaks as you need to catch your breathe.

kellys
May 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Check out this website: http://biggerfasterstronger.com

This is a strength program that I use with my high school team. We don't spend a lot of time in the weight room (10-15 minutes per day two days per week) but many of the skills that are used during this strength program are readily translated into the pool.

I swam faster times this year with less yardage using the BFS program.

tomtopo
May 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM
What exercises are you doing in that 10-15 minutes?

zegmal
May 30th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Did some lat pull downs after swimming yesterday and my AC joints were aching the rest of the day. I might have to rethink this weigh thing or just do leg exercises, which given how pathetic my kick is might not be such a bad idea.

kellys
May 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Our team did different stations each time out. I.E. on "Day 1," we would do bench press & squats. Usually the swimmers did three sets of each with the weight increasing each time. On the third set, they would lift "to fatigue"

"Day 2" was called dead lift & power clean. If you visit the website: http://biggerfasterstronger.com, it should give you a pretty good description of how to do each workout.

You want to do less weight in the beginning. You'll find that this program makes you more explosive off walls and more efficient in regards to your stroke technique. Hope this helps!

knelson
May 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
I think it's possible to achieve results with a one set workout but I believe you really have to push the intensity level to make it work. I'd also say adequate warm-up would be a definite necessity.

And have a really good spotter! If you go to absolute failure your spotter is going to have to do some work and also give you lots of encouragement.

kellys
May 31st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Good point Knelson. I should have mentioned that as well!

ande
June 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
do circuit training

bench press
lat pull
leg press
sit ups
lat press

something would be way better than nothing

I recently read an article that mentioned recent studies showing you can get a decent workout by doing one set (10-12 reps to exhaustion). What time I have to exercise, I'd rather be in the water, but I can easily spare 5 minutes on my way out the door to hit some of the muscle groups in the weight room. Any one have suggestions for super fast workouts? Thanks.

Jeffy_101
June 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Ok, 5 minute workout, here goes:

Warm up with jumping jacks: 1 min
Punch a heavy bag hard and fast: 2 min
Rest: 30 sec
Punch a heavy bag hard and fast: 1 min
Warm down with jumping jacks: 30 sec

rtodd
June 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
If you are totally serious about only 5 minutes, do pull ups to failure, wait 2 minutes, push ups to failure, go right to lunges to failure each leg, lay on back and do 100 leg lifts and 50 crunches.....done. Add dumbells to the lunges as necessary. Maybe add dumbell good mornings and make it a 10 minute workout.

Thrashing Slug
June 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Here are 2 fast weights workouts I do sometimes:

1. Ab crunch machine: 3 X 1 minute, with a minute rest between. Choose the usual weight you would use for 12-15 reps, but instead of doing the usual number, do as many as possible in one minute, quickly and explosively. Rest a minute then repeat.

2. Pec fly machine. Same idea - pick a weight you can lift comfortably about 10-15 times, but do explosive reps for a full minute. If you reach muscle failure, rest the absolute minimum necessary to be able to do at least two more explosive reps, then continue.

If you're in the right frame of mind, either of these can turn into a real kick-ass workout with very little time investment. You could apply this to target other muscles as well, but I would suggest only doing it with a machine, not free weights.

#2 in particular is great for Breaststroke pull.

<edit>

I just remembered this one, which I do all the time on the pull-up / dip machine. It's perfect for swimmers as it targets the lats and triceps. Do 60 reps non-stop, alternating as follows: 10 pull-ups military grip, 10 dips, 10 pull-ups wide grip, 10 dips, 10 pull-ups parallel grip, 10 dips. No rest at all between sets. Stay smooth and moderate paced with good form throughout. If you're using the machine assist, choose a weight that allows you to just barely finish the second set up pull-ups.