PDA

View Full Version : Training for lifeguard certification

nphamlett
June 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM
I've recently decided to pursue a lifeguard certification and am looking for suggestions on workout routines. I swam competitively in elementary school and am now pushing 40 ;-). It's been a while since I've used swimming for working outs but when I did it produced great results!

If anyone has suggestions on building a workout to gain the stamina and the speed needed to qualify for and pass the lifeguard certification, please let me know. Website and magazine suggestions would also be helpful.

Thanks!

SwimStud
June 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM
I've recently decided to pursue a lifeguard certification and am looking for suggestions on workout routines. I swam competitively in elementary school and am now pushing 40 ;-). It's been a while since I've used swimming for working outs but when I did it produced great results!

If anyone has suggestions on building a workout to gain the stamina and the speed needed to qualify for and pass the lifeguard certification, please let me know. Website and magazine suggestions would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Is it the 500 yard swim and some water treading?
200FR, 200BR and 100 of anything else? Just get in and work on swimming well and increasing your distance. I don't know how far you can swim now (at a comfy pace) but if it's 50yards, repeat this 10 times with 10 or 15 secs rest and do this 2 or 3 times a week.

Another option is to follow the linked workout.
http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

This is how I pushed out my distance capabilities when getting back into swimming...you can probably swim further than you think, but this is a good way to get you there with a plan, which will make you feel more confident.

This takes you up to a mile but you'll be ready for your test before that point! Good luck!

talne621
June 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM
When I became a lifeguard it was a 500 swim. Now it is only 300 yards. Then, you have to recover a brick from 8-10 feet under water and tread with the brick for at least a minute.

HAPPD
June 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
nphamlet, I am doing the same, getting certified to lifeguard but I am ten years older than you . I like the zero-1 mile workout. We use the sidestroke and breast stroke a lot , be sure to include them in your workouts.
HAPPD

PArob83
June 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
And practice a kick that you can move yourself with while towing someone as you wont always be able to use both or any arms sometimes.
Being a lifeguard instructor (and obviously not a English teacher)... Ill say that the same kick does not always work for everyone.. so unless you practice some of the rescues with a friend (USING PROPER FORM) you may be stuck figuring out your kick you need to practice with once your training starts...
how long is the course?

SwimStud
June 5th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Guys, I am at the mid point of my course and it's fairly strenuous; jumping in, towing, repeat etc. You don't need to be a swim champ but do some swimming for the distance you need to pass and get some stretches and stuff in to prepare your body.

Not saying your instructor will do the same but we had a 400 yard heads up front crawl followed by 400 yard heads up breast (no rest). Tougher than it sounds on the crawl because you can't swim "efficienty" so practice that a little too.

Kicking: I find that breast works for me when I m on my back using two amrs to pull and the side stroke if using one arm. We did a 40yard buddy tow without the buoy too...that's a workout. Be grateful though the Navy and Coastie swimmers do a 200 yard buddy tow...with gear on I believe.