PDA

View Full Version : I need advice.

omega8bit
June 3rd, 2008, 02:33 AM
Okay, here's the deal:

I'm currently a sophomore [10th grade] in high school. My first ever high school swim season just ended and I plan on doing high school swimming next school year as well. My plan was to do recreational swimming over the summer, but unfortunately my parents won't let me. I still want to be in shape for next year's swim season, but I really don't know what to do to keep in shape. I don't know what kind of out-of-the-pool exercises are good for working my muscles. I'm not the skinniest person, but I'm certainly not extremely chubby. I'm thinking running in the park sounds good because it works out my legs, but it does nothing for my arms. I really do not want to have all the hard work I put in for high school swimming to go to waste over the months. I'd love to swim over the summer but that's just not an option. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris Stevenson
June 3rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Okay, here's the deal:

I'm currently a sophomore [10th grade] in high school. My first ever high school swim season just ended and I plan on doing high school swimming next school year as well. My plan was to do recreational swimming over the summer, but unfortunately my parents won't let me. I still want to be in shape for next year's swim season, but I really don't know what to do to keep in shape. I don't know what kind of out-of-the-pool exercises are good for working my muscles. I'm not the skinniest person, but I'm certainly not extremely chubby. I'm thinking running in the park sounds good because it works out my legs, but it does nothing for my arms. I really do not want to have all the hard work I put in for high school swimming to go to waste over the months. I'd love to swim over the summer but that's just not an option. Anyone have any ideas?

Omega,

Over the years there have been numerous occasions where I've had to be out of the water for several months, for various reasons. It isn't good but the damage can be minimized. I am sure others in this forum have been in the same boat, so you've come to a good place for advice.

Daily (or almost daily) cardiovascular exercise like running coupled with getting in the water once a week to do some drills and long swimming will help a lot. You won't maintain swimming fitness and technique but it will return much more quickly in the fall.

If you don't have access to a pool at all, the running (or something like it) will still help you regain your form faster, don't give it up. Vary the intensity, if you can: changing speeds, some fast days, some long days. That will also help maintain interest.

Good luck.

waves101
June 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Spend as much time as possible with friends that have swimming pools and get to your local lakes. In addition to the dryland exercises, of course.

anita
June 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
ANY exercise is good exercise, as long as it feels right for you. Weight lifting, which you can do in your garage or room, running, running the bleacher stairs at your high school's football field, whatever keeps you in shape. Like Waves101 said, if you can, get into a friend's pool if at all possible--tread water, swim head up, whatever you can do. Good luck next season!

hofffam
June 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
I suggest a few things:

1. Stay active however you can. I think cardiovascular (aerobic) fitness is probably the most important overall. So running is very time efficient and demanding. But you should think about running or staying active for at least 30 minutes.

2. You can make running workouts like swimming. Instead of running 3-4 miles straight, break it up into intervals like you do with swimming. Go to a high school track and run 400s or 800s. A 400 meter run is about the same as a 100 free. Don't let these be lazy slow runs.

3. Lift weights and concentrate on swimming-related exercises. Lat pulls, triceps, bench press, squats, core body work.

craig68
June 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Omega:

There are plenty of exercises you can do to increase strength, power, and flexibility while out of the pool that will help your swimming once you are back in the pool.

I like the Plyometrics exercises here to develop leg strength and power that will help on starts and pushing off walls:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

I just googled "core exercises" and found this link with basic video to show the exercises. You can find other, similar sites pretty easily:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/Article-detail.asp?Articleid=486

You can also work on flexibility. Jonathan Miller posted a bunch of description and photos of his flexibility exercises in the "Fun, and Fast" thread in the "Workouts" forum. (Sorry, don't know how to include the link).

And then, of course, get wet as much as you can even if you are just goofing around with your friends. Who knows, you may just find you get faster over the summer with a new workout routine. Good luck!

ande
June 3rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
1) go to the closest pool and swim on your own
swim easy to keep your feel and do a few sprints
something is better than nothing,
even if it's just 1, 2 or 3 times a week

2) get and do
stretch cords (http://tinyurl.com/3vjhl9)
a friend of mine travels with his
you could do them anytime at home

3) lift weights and get stronger
I feel like the Lat Press (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=133732) exercise I do does the same thing as stretch cords but I can load more weight on the machine and position my body at a better angle
(where I press through the stroke vertically instead of horizontally)
In fact if I could only do one swimming exercise
it would be the Lat Press (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=133732)

4) do exercises with you own body weight
pullups, pushups, crunches, squats & jumps

again consistency is key
anything is better than nothing
good luck
hope this helps

good luck,

Ande

Okay, here's the deal:

I'm currently a sophomore [10th grade] in high school. My first ever high school swim season just ended and I plan on doing high school swimming next school year as well. My plan was to do recreational swimming over the summer, but unfortunately my parents won't let me. I still want to be in shape for next year's swim season, but I really don't know what to do to keep in shape. I don't know what kind of out-of-the-pool exercises are good for working my muscles. I'm not the skinniest person, but I'm certainly not extremely chubby. I'm thinking running in the park sounds good because it works out my legs, but it does nothing for my arms. I really do not want to have all the hard work I put in for high school swimming to go to waste over the months. I'd love to swim over the summer but that's just not an option.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jeffy_101
June 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Being a relatively new swimmer, I can honestly say that being fit does not make you a good swimmer. Impossible to overcome poor technique with good cardiovascular fitness so swim whenever you can. Pool, lake, whatever.

Otherwise, trail running is really good and really fun. Also, during bad weather you can set up a circuit-training routine in your room or garage for very little money. Circuit training allows you to keep your heart rate up and also gain strength and flexibility.

rtodd
June 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
find a track and do interval training. You are young and should be trying different things.

A good workout would be:

Warm up 1 mile.
do four 100m easy runs to warm up.
Do some plyo drills.
run 200 meters four times. Run them hard and time them. take 3 minutes recovery between runs. (walk back to the start)
Work your way up to 8 times.

Try this three times a week.

Be on the lookout for shin splints and back off as necessary.

Of course always try to get in a pool at least once a week if you can!!!!!!