PDA

View Full Version : Uses for old swim suits

Quilts4homeless
June 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Hello All, I work with a great group of ladies making quilts for those that are less fortunate. We make the quilts all year round and then donate them to the local shelters and directly to those that find themselves living on the streets when the weather turns cold. We use almost all donated materials to make the quilts. We try to use nylon type materials, not only nylon but light weight materials, because it tends to dry much faster than other materials. We are always in dire need of materials. We have received a lot of old suits from my daughter's swim team and have found it very usefull. Her coach suggested that I try posting on the internet to see if others would be interested in helping our cause, so here it is! We cut the suits into smaller pieces we can use so the condition of the suits does not matter at all(we have received some that were just pieces). I was wondering if any of you would be interested in donating your old suits to a worthwhile cause? It is also a great way to recycle the old suits and keep them out of the landfills! If you are interested you can post here or email us at Quilts4homeless@yahoo.com

God Bless,
Jennifer

ALM
June 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Jennifer,

Don't get me wrong, you're doing a great thing. But I can't imagine my old swimsuits being of any use after I'm done with them. The Lycra suits are generally so threadbare that they are practically transparent. I can't imagine them holding together for any length of time.

I'm curious - what do you use for the other layers of the quilts? I assume the swimsuit fabric would be used for the top (pieced) layer. Isn't there generally some sort of fill layer, then a backing? What are those layers made of?

Anna Lea

Quilts4homeless
June 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Anna Lea, Thanks for posting. We typically use the suits for the stuffing inside the quilts(the middle layer). We use other things for the top and bottom layers, usually polyester and thicker nylon type materials. The suits work great for the stuffing. As I said before, we have received some suits that were worn to the point that they were just pieces. Since we cut them into small pieces it really doesnt matter what condition the suits are in.
Hope this helps :angel:

God Bless,
Jennifer

2fish&1whale
June 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
This is actually something I have been looking for.
My son managed to "break through" the butt region of all of his jammers and we have a collection of them that he won't wear. The only ruined part is the fabric along the back seam, the rest is pretty much brand new.

Glider
June 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Ahh, Speedo Endurance Jammers, I'd bet. That's some quality stitching...And he's probably a breaststroker - a little extra stress on the seam. I have 3 suits in this condition, each lasted about 30 days (admittedly in a heavily chlorinated Y pool.)

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

My son managed to "break through" the butt region of all of his jammers and we have a collection of them that he won't wear. The only ruined part is the fabric along the back seam, the rest is pretty much brand new.

PArob83
June 13th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I have seen this allot in jammers... if it happens too much you can always switch to briefs, or layer up if its just for practice...
I wonder if anyone makes jammers with no seam down the middle:-P
also you can always but the fully lined (FRONT & BACK) jammers.. an extra layer of material could help.

aquageek
June 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I didn't think it was possible to wear out Endurance suits. Kids are tough on suits because they will wear them long before and after they swim, often in dryland or while sitting on a concrete deck or the bleachers. If you only wear them for swimming, they seem to be pretty much indestructible. The only way I buy lycra for my kids is if they are in the grab bag sale for $10 each or forced for a team suit.

I've noticed that many of the teen swimmers (probably due to increased modesty awareness) will put on shorts over their suits between events or during dryland. This will also reduce wear.

PArob83
June 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM
that said, allot can be said for changing when you get there and shower/change when you leave the pool, for hygene and it will help the suit last.
but that does not always fit everyones schedule. I myself have worn out a few suits from wearing them too much before i swim.. (i guess everyones guilty at some point.):dunno:

ALM
June 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Jennifer,

I sent an e-mail to my team telling them that I am collecting old swimsuits to send to you. Masters swimmers must be closet swimsuit-hoarders, because in less than a week I've already been given nine suits.

I will send you an e-mail so you can send me your mailing address.

Anna Lea

Quilts4homeless
July 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Anna Lea, Thank you very much for all of your time and help. We wouldn't be able to do the quilts project if it wasn't for wonderfull people like you!
One of the great things about using old swimsuits and like material for the stuffing inside the quilts is that it dries very quickly. We have found this is quite important to those that receive the quilts.
I hope you are doing well and look forward to hearing from you.
Jennifer

2fish&1whale
July 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Are you still interested in suits? I am thinking of approaching my kids team to collect suits that are beyond wearable......

cwilson
July 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I actually love the Speedo Endurance Jammers. My son puts a lot of yardage on his two...wears them 5-6 times a week (1.5 hours at a time) and takes horrible care of them, yet they are in excellent condition - the base level Speedo Jammers on the other hand are pretty much worn thin.

Ahh, Speedo Endurance Jammers, I'd bet. That's some quality stitching...And he's probably a breaststroker - a little extra stress on the seam. I have 3 suits in this condition, each lasted about 30 days (admittedly in a heavily chlorinated Y pool.)

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

cwilson
July 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'll check with my son's swim team too...and that's a great point about the quick drying time!

sydned
July 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hi there,
I have also sent an e-mail to my team and will be collecting suits.
I'd love your mailing address as well.
Thanks for your hard work!
Sydne Didier

Marcia Cleveland
July 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
What's the address to send these suits? (I'm in Illinois too.) I can't tell you how many of my and my children's suits have wound up in the trash because 1. they are not decent to wear anymore 2. In such condition, I'm not sending them to any one else "in need" so they can look even less decent than I did.
Do you take nylon suits?
Is this an on-going program? If so, please get in touch with Tracy Grilli, USMS Natl Administrator, and she can ask all of us coming to Convention in Sept to bring our worn-out suits.

Quilts4homeless
July 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks to all of you for the wonderfull responses and emails. I think I answered all of the emails that I received, if I didnt answer yours please resend it. This is a project that we work on all year around and is always going on. If anyone has any questions please post here or email me.

Thank you and God bless,
Jennifer

Quilts4homeless
July 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the email Anita, I sent you a reply :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Iwannafly
July 31st, 2008, 02:52 PM
I have several old suits to donate. Just let me know where to send them.

Thanks,
T.J.

ALM
August 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Jennifer,

A box will be in the mail to you tomorrow. I didn't count them before I sealed the box but it probably contains 20-30 swimsuits. :)

Anna Lea

Quilts4homeless
August 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Anna Lea,
We received the box and are very grateful for your awesome help with our project! It is people like you that make it possible for up to do the work we do.
Thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts :)

God Bless,
Jennifer

P.S. I sent you an email.

Doug Adamavich
August 23rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
Jennifer,

We have publicized this throughout Arizona and will have a bunch o' suits coming your way soon. We are going to do a press release too in the hopes of collecting more for you. Plus, I am going to ask that our Meet Directors for our three fall events set up a collection bin for old suits.

Send me an email at dpa_az AT cox DOT net with the address you want these sent to.

Quilts4homeless
September 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hello Doug, Thanks for all of your help! I sent you an email. Hope to hear from you soon.
Jennifer

Doug Adamavich
September 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hello Doug, Thanks for all of your help! I sent you an email. Hope to hear from you soon.
Jennifer

We have a person on the Sun Devil Masters team that is acting as the collection point for this. Her name is Whitney Warman and I gave her your information. As for the upcoming events this fall, we will work on that too.

Do you have any text I could use in a press release? This may help garner more interest in this program and open up the floodgates for donations. We have people who write for a living so all I would need is a good summary of what you do. I will send it to you for review once we have it put together.

Quilts4homeless
April 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Hello,
I would like to start by sending a huge THANK YOU to everyone who sent us their old suits! They have all been put to good use in the quilts.
Sadly I lost my grandmother to cancer since my last post. She is the one who started the quilts for homeless project with her quilting group. We have continued working on the quilts in her memory. It has been therapuetic to get together with the group since it is mostly family and close friends. We have been able to do more quilts through this winter than any year before! We are very thankfull to the great people like you that help us keep going with this great project.
We are always in need of materials, so I hope that you will keep us in mind in the future!

God Bless,
Jennifer

orca1946
April 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
What a cool idea for our junk suits!!:applaud:

Guvnah
April 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Can you post the ship-to address here?

I'd like to send some (if you're still doing this.)

Or did you get flooded from the original request and now your group is "swimming" in old suits?

Quilts4homeless
June 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Hello, Sorry for not getting here to respond sooner. We are still and always collecting suits for the quilts. We would be gratefull for any and all suits we can get as we always seem to be short on materials. Please keep in mind that we can use the suits regardless of what condition they are in (even worn out and ripped drag suits). I am not sure if it is ok for me to post the address to ship them to here in the forums. If you would like to send us an email I will gladly respond with the address.
You can email us at Quilts4homeless@yahoo.com . Thank you very much for keeping us in mind and keeping items out of the landfills!

God Bless,
Jennifer

Quilts4homeless
October 18th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hello All,
We have received so many old suits from you very kind swimmers. With the weather turning colder we find ourselves running short on materials, so I thought I would post again in hopes of replenishing our dwlindling supplies of materials. If you have any old suits that are no longer being used we could really use them for our quilts project. They can be in any condition. I was also wondering if anyone would consider putting a drop box at their local natatorium. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you very much and God bless,
Jennifer McConnelly
quilts4homeless@yahoo.com

Dolphin 2
October 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Since FINA imposed a ban on tech suits, Speedo had a surplus of LZRs which they had to get rid of.

Interestingly, an artist came up with a clever way to turn them into lawn furniture: :agree:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/07/upcycled-speedo-pavilion-london.php

D2

fmracing
October 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Is there any reference we can have that these suits would actually be going towards this particular cause? I was approached with a similar story a number of years ago and it turns out in the end that the suits were being used in a far less appropriate manner than originally requested.

orca1946
October 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Halloween costumes are always a good idea.

floswimmer
October 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM
:applaud:Great idea and work!!! I'll look through my drawers...Do you have a flyer; I can post it at the Y.:angel:

ALM
November 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hello All,
We have received so many old suits from you very kind swimmers. With the weather turning colder we find ourselves running short on materials, so I thought I would post again in hopes of replenishing our dwlindling supplies of materials. If you have any old suits that are no longer being used we could really use them for our quilts project. They can be in any condition. I was also wondering if anyone would consider putting a drop box at their local natatorium. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you very much and God bless,
Jennifer McConnelly
quilts4homeless@yahoo.com

Jennifer,

After I saw your post I organized a "suit drive" for my Masters team, the Sarasota YMCA Sharks. The response was tremendous and I now have a HUGE pile of suits. I need your shipping address! Please send me a PM or send me an email, to: AnnaLea (at) usms (dot) org.

Many of the discarded suits are the now-banned "technical suits," such as the Speedo LZR and the BlueSeventy suits. I don't know whether they will work as well for the quilt stuffing, as they are sort of a rubber-coated fabric. But I will send them all and let you decide. I shudder to think of the number of discarded dollars in this pile...

Anna Lea

orca1946
November 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'll check with our team.

joy273
December 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM
My team and our associated age group team has been collecting suits for Jennifer this month. I've left a couple messages with her for her address but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone have her mailing address that they could PM to me? The administrators are tired of having the box sitting in the office. Thanks so much!

ALM
December 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
My team and our associated age group team has been collecting suits for Jennifer this month. I've left a couple messages with her for her address but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone have her mailing address that they could PM to me? The administrators are tired of having the box sitting in the office. Thanks so much!

Stephanie, I am having the same problem. I have sent several messages but have not heard back. I have Jennifer's mailing address from two years ago, when I shipped her a box of suits, but I hate to ship something to that address today without knowing whether it is still correct.

floswimmer
December 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Unfortunately, I never received a response either.:2cents:

joy273
December 15th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks Anna and Evelyn. I wrote a message to her swim club in hopes that they can get a hold of her and have her respond to the messages.

ALM
April 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hey, everyone, I just received an email from Jennifer McConnelly, with her shipping address. Apparently all of my emails to her were going into her spam folder.

If you have old swimsuits to ship to her, send me a PM and I'll give you the shipping address.

Anna Lea

EJB190
April 29th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Is it just me or does something just sound weird about this???

First of all, it doesn't necessarily seem sanitary to use bathing suits as part of a quilt. Bathing suits are not the only products that contain fast drying nylon. Secondly, it doesn't seem like you could cut up a typical (used lycra bathing suit and sew it back together (granted, I know nothing about sewing/quilt making, etc). I know she mentioned it could be used as filler, but it doesn't seem like it would provide reasonable insulation as bathing suits are not particularly puffy like cotton, down or wool.

I don't mean to be putting down what seems to be a noble cause but I'm just going to throw out that it is known people out there have obscure fetishes and will do elaborate things do satisfy them.

Edit: Google her email address. It seems she's also in the market for used bras and panties for making quilts.... It may be the stuffy new englander in my blood but this just sounds fishy.

cheakamus
April 29th, 2011, 01:07 AM
One might also wonder why "the homeless" might want/need handmade quilts, rather than, say, a cheap commercial blanket or sleeping bag.

ViveBene
April 29th, 2011, 08:02 AM
One might also wonder why "the homeless" might want/need handmade quilts, rather than, say, a cheap commercial blanket or sleeping bag.
Making quilts repurposes materials that might otherwise have gone into landfills. Others have bought up and distributed old army surplus blankets.
Offering an email address that shifts incoming messages into a spam area, which one then does not check, seems inefficacious.

fmracing
April 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I don't mean to be putting down what seems to be a noble cause but I'm just going to throw out that it is known people out there have obscure fetishes and will do elaborate things do satisfy them.

Edit: Google her email address. It seems she's also in the market for used bras and panties for making quilts.... It may be the stuffy new englander in my blood but this just sounds fishy.

THIS is EXACTLY what I was eluding to in one of my past posts. I had a similar problem in the past with someone that was calling collect from a prison system on the east coast looking for old suits. It was creepy and weird. Since then my questions went unanswered.

EJB190
April 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
THIS is EXACTLY what I was eluding to in one of my past posts. I had a similar problem in the past with someone that was calling collect from a prison system on the east coast looking for old suits. It was creepy and weird. Since then my questions went unanswered.

We'll I'm glad there's at least one other person thinking on the same wavelength as me. Sorry I missed your post. I was distracted by all the other people going along with it.