PDA

View Full Version : Burfing issue during bike or run after swim

See Mom Tri
June 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Does anybody experience this? I am a triathlete and I have been experiencing puking issue at every single tri race (so far only sprints and oly distances). This doesn't happen during any length of road running races (5K to marathon) or any hard bike training. Puking happens sometimes during a bike leg of a tri race but most of the time during a run. I don't eat so much during a race so usually what comes out is only drink (sorry tmi). The only time I can feel similar pukey feeling is when I do a continuous swim at relatively hard pace (like 1 mile or more). I tried to run afterwards a few times, I felt so sick. At a recent tri race, I took the swim leg really easy, with a hope that might help. I focused on easy bilateral breathing, but It didn't help. Based on my experiences, this issue has something to do with swimming. Somebody suggested I had a acid reflux issue so I took some otc medecine at the past race but it didn't change the outcome. Does swimming (being horizontal for some time) have anything to do with this? Any recommendations/suggestions? I tried different food/drink before the race and it seems not related.

Thanks for your help.

rtodd
June 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM
isn't swimming fun? What is your weekly swimming yardage? Put in enough and the feeling should go away.

geochuck
June 10th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I have only barfed when looking at the little Lac St Louis after completeting the 24 hour swim in La Tuque Quebec. I did not barf during the swim but everytime I looked at the lake for about 3 months it was barf time.

I would also get sick just looking at orange juice or glucose powder. It took me years before I could drink orange juice again.

hofffam
June 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Maybe it is as simple as you are swallowing water during the swim and during strenous exercise your stomach is complaining.

It could be worse with lake water and the various micro-creatures that live in lake water.

Big AL
June 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I have not tossed after strenuous exercise for many years, but I FELT like I would a lot more often before I began doing abdominal work. Now, I may get a belly cramp, but it doesn't give that feeling like I'm gonna toss.