PDA

View Full Version : Want to swim faster? Get some more sleep!

scyfreestyler
June 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080609071106.htm

jim clemmons
June 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I absolutely agree with this one. It's one of my justifications for getting out of work to get home and nap every day a few days in advance of big meets.

3strokes
June 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
How?

I've read all (Oh well, most........... a lot of) the material about insomnia.
I do all the tricks they advise and yet I need to take three different sleeping pills to -hopefully- sleep an average of five hours a night. (Some weeks it's a total of five or six hours for the week.)

I started the questionnaire about the "Insomnia 7 mistakes" on that website but one of their questions did not have any applicable answer (to me anyway.) Don't ask me which one. Apart from Insomnia, I suffer from a very bad short-term memory and don't ask me to go back and find out which question it was, I'm also lazy.

Bottom line: Guess I won't be taking this path to "swimming faster".

scyfreestyler
June 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe some THC after a long workout in the evening would do the trick and do away with the sleeping pills.

Big AL
June 10th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Maybe some THC after a long workout in the evening would do the trick and do away with the sleeping pills.

Kalifornication.... the Chili Peppers know what's up out there!

The Fortress
June 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I felt great when I slept in every day on my kids' spring break. I just can't go to sleep early to get more sleep. I'm looking forward to no school so I don't have to get up as early!!!

In general, I think adults have way more trouble sleeping than college kids. I was a talented sleeper -- anywhere anytime -- back then. But now, NOT. Sometimes it's hormonal, sometimes stress, sometimes who knows. So that study is very nicey nice, but may not be possible for adults. 10 hours of sleep?! I don't know anyone who sleeps that much unless they're depressed.

What's THC? OK, if it's what I think based on Big Al's post, that wakes me up ... and I ain't alone among fegirls.

Insomnia, 3 strokes? Boo! Read Desperately Seeking Snoozin' or the Mayo Clinic Guide to Sleep. Sleep clinics won't work. They're for people with sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome. The thing that works best for me is to do nothing for 2 hours before I go to sleep except mindlessly watch TV or read. Any stimulation and I'm up real late. Don't the 3 sleeping pills make you groggy during the day?!

geochuck
June 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I always took sleeping pills the night before I did a marathon race.

ALM
June 10th, 2008, 11:01 PM
What's THC?

"Marijuana (Tetrahydrocannabinol,THC) is a green or gray mixture of dried, shredded flowers and leaves of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa."