PDA

View Full Version : What's the Chlorine Doing to Me?

defro781
June 12th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I'm a new swimmer.. just started logging the laps in the pool.

What does excessive chlorine exposure do to you?
Ex. My hair is already frizzy and skin is dry. Any other side effects? What can I do to counter these?

aquageek
June 12th, 2008, 07:32 AM
It does nothing to you, it's an urban legend. Use lotion if your skin is dry. Get a decent detoxifying shampoo and use a few times a week. Fried green hair is a fashion statement.

Drewid
June 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
turned my hair orange once

:oldman:

cowsvils
June 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
It can do funky things with your hair and dry your skin out, that's really about it. I just use regular shampoo and conditioner and it works fine for me, you could also try anti-chlorine products like ultraswim. As for the skin, I just use regular moisturizing body wash when I shower, but you can use some moisturizing lotion too f that isn't enough.

You could also embrace the frizzy hair

USMSarah
June 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the club! Pool water can absolutely frizz your hair and dry your skin out. You can help your hair by getting it soaked in the shower and put a swim cap on before you dive in the pool. Condition like heck... I've noticed with the cheaper conditioners similar to Suave - they just don't do the trick... buy something really thick. As for your skin, apply lotion after you swim (or your post-shower if you do that after you do your laps). Put in on within 5 minutes after the shower because that's the optimal time for your skin to absorb whatever you put on it.

In college, the chemicals were so bad - it burned our arm hair and eyebrows off.

:eek:

geochuck
June 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Chlorine is bleach but in the amounts used in a pool not much happens except purification if it is properly used. Use a moisturizer and shampoo after swimming. Just swimming in untreated water takes the natural oils out of your skin.

quicksilver
June 12th, 2008, 12:04 PM
As Sarah suggested...Taking a shower before getting in the pool can reduce how much chlorine gets into your hair and skin.
Your hair ands skin are like sponges, and if they're loaded up with tap water, the chlorine has little room to be absorbed.

Wearing a cap helps too, unless straw like hair isn't a concern.

Syd
June 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
As Sarah suggested...Taking a shower before getting in the pool can reduce how much chlorine gets into your hair and skin.
Your hair ands skin are like sponges, and if they're loaded up with tap water, the chlorine has little room to be absorbed.

Wearing a cap helps too, unless straw like hair isn't a concern.

Must strongly reccommend this too. ALWAYS take a shower before you get into the pool. Wet your hair and your body thoroughly and wear a swimming cap. I do this and have no problem with dry skin or hair.

PArob83
June 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
for me i have a soap and shampoo that work very well for me, but to avoid any side effects i would suggest a nice long thorough shower at the pool right after your done.. before the pool water can dry on your body. I still get a little dry skin but I have found taking the shower at the pool helps me IMMENSELY. and besides... you dont have to run up your water bill.
and the time spent in the shower right after swimming can help your suit too rinse it out well before you start the shower and use the suit dryer if they have it, and/or let it hang dry and when your done showering youll be able to pack a clean dry suit in your bag...
as i know weather its dry or wet i always forget its in there, (i have pictures of my frozen suit i had to put on before a meet in febuary cause i packed a wet suit and it froze in the car... )
Cheers.

amyro1234
June 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
My hands get SO cracked and dry in the winter. To keep a little moisture , I always put vasoline on my hands, then wear gloves over top of that. I do this every night while I sleep if I notice my hands are getting too dry.