PDA

View Full Version : Longevity & Quality Issues with the Speedo LZR

ande
June 12th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Longevity & Quality Issues with the Speedo LZR
http://scaq.blogspot.com/2008/06/longevity-and-quality-issues-with.html

scyfreestyler
June 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
That's it, I am returning mine first thing tomorrow AM.

chowmi
June 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Ande, great find!

What, no upgrade of drawstring and zipper technology while working with NASA? Reminds me of shopping for new luggage - denier this, balistic that material, but same 'ol zippers so my luggage has aged along the zipper-to-material areas.

Are there any suit malfunction videos on youtube?

I'm still going to buy a LZR. And make sure I carry a spare suit!

gull
June 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I cannot believe that something designed by NASA is so prone to failure.

meldyck
June 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I cannot believe that something designed by NASA is so prone to failure.

Right! They have gotten to Mars at least once haven't they? I'd probably fly on the shuttle. Well, maybe not.

JimRude
June 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Isn't this a sort of planned obsolescence?

scyfreestyler
June 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Isn't this a sort of planned obsolescence?

NASA? We can only hope.

fanstone
June 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Just read an interview with Cesar Cielo, in a Brazilian magazine, where he mentions that LZRs are only good for three events....

scyfreestyler
June 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Just read an interview with Cesar Cielo, in a Brazilian magazine, where he mentions that LZRs are only good for three events....

If those 3 swims are of WR caliber, then I see no problem here.

knelson
June 12th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I mentioned in another thread that I think Speedo's recent tack with their suits is to make the human body as streamlined as possible rather than the previous goal of making the suit as 'slippery' as possible. Obviously this requires a very tight suit. As soon as the suit stretches a little it loses its mojo, so to speak.

As far as issues such as zipper blowouts, hopefully they are working on these problems. Can you imagine how pissed you be if you dropped $550 on a suit and it disintegrated before you even got to swim a single race in it?

Allen Stark
June 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Imagine messing up at trials or the Olympics due to suit failure.Looks like Speedo has a quality control issue with the zippers and draw strings.I just got my Blue Seventy suit,I certainly hope it lasts longer(and it costs 1/2 as much.)