June 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
what do y'all think about this?

guidelines and restrictions on logo usage at US TRIALS

***MEMORANDUM***

TO: Coaches & Athletes at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials

DATE: April 30, 2008

SUBJECT: Important Information for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials

Dear Coaches & Athletes:

The U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) and USA Swimming would like to ensure that you are aware of the guidelines and restrictions related to logo usage at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Swimming, to be held at the Qwest Center in Omaha, Nebraska from June 29 – July 6.

Please pay special attention to the points below and understand that they will be enforced in Omaha.

Thank you for your attention to this.

1. As stated in the competition information posted on the USA Swimming website, please be aware that the Olympic Rings and all Olympic logos/ terminology are not allowed on apparel or other items unless approved by the USOC. This will be policed by USOC and USA Swimming personnel at the Trials.

2. Provided that the club’s name has been registered with USA Swimming by April 15, 2008, competitors may place their club name in text or logo on their swim caps in the traditional location on the side(s) of the swim cap. This is in addition to the standard manufacturer’s equipment identification further described below.

3. Subject to the above use of the club’s name/logo on competitors’ swim caps, the USOC and USA Swimming will strictly enforce Rule 51 of the Olympic Charter with respect to all swimsuits, equipment and apparel worn on the field of play – or within any other camera-visible areas of the Trials. Rule 51 provides that no commercial identification of any product or service or any promotional matter of any kind may appear except for the standard manufacturer’s equipment identification, which identification must be equal to or less than 20 square centimeters when worn.

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/3f24d74e-897d-491c-945b-c3dcf96f21fd/Logo%20Usage%20Memo.doc

aquageek
June 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I guess the alternative is NASCAR type of suits.

knelson
June 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Or cycling. That's one of the things I like in swimming: generally swimmers aren't plastered with ads like in some others sports.

20 square centimeters is about 3 square inches, or a square 1.75" per side. That seems plenty big for a logo.

The Olympic Committee has taken a very hard stance lately on use of the rings logo and I'm sure that's why they are being so strict about that.

JonasTris
June 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I guess there are always temporary tattoos or the use of a magic marker. At a European Track and Field meet an athlete had to remove her anti doping slogan of her body.

scyfreestyler
June 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
VISA

lefty
June 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Or cycling. That's one of the things I like in swimming: generally swimmers aren't plastered with ads like in some others sports.

20 square centimeters is about 3 square inches, or a square 1.75" per side. That seems plenty big for a logo.

The Olympic Committee has taken a very hard stance lately on use of the rings logo and I'm sure that's why they are being so strict about that.

I don't like it at all because what this does is take the marketing power from the swimmer and give it to the organization. I think this is a free speech violation as well.

geochuck
June 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Could I wear my Olympic Team Jacket if I attended?? Or my Olympic sweat suit?? from 1956.

I have them stored in a cedar Chest.

aquageek
June 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't like it at all because what this does is take the marketing power from the swimmer and give it to the organization. I think this is a free speech violation as well.

Give me a break, it's a private organization, they set the rules. No one is forcing the athletes to attend. They can stay home and have all the free speech they want or they can go to the premier swimming event in the world for basically free and abide by some very minor regulations. People who scream about free speech generally don't have much of value to say, I've found.

scyfreestyler
June 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Give me a break, it's a private organization, they set the rules. No one is forcing the athletes to attend. They can stay home and have all the free speech they want or they can go to the premier swimming event in the world for basically free and abide by some very minor regulations. People who scream about free speech generally don't have much of value to say, I've found.

Oh, snap! :cool:

swimcat
June 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
i worked at 2006 winter olympics in torino and we could only wear ascics who made our uniform. except the boots which were superga. if you chose to wear another brand or carry anything that deviated from the uniform, the brand had to be covered up with a piece of masking tape. it got to be quite the joke. and we were only workers not athletes.

USMSarah
June 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM
i worked at 2006 winter olympics in torino and we could only wear ascics who made our uniform. except the boots which were superga. if you chose to wear another brand or carry anything that deviated from the uniform, the brand had to be covered up with a piece of masking tape. it got to be quite the joke. and we were only workers not athletes.

That must have been an amazing experience! I'm jealous! I hope to someday see a winter Olympics in person!

swimcat
June 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
unfortunately, when you work, you don't see a lot. i worked the ski venues at sestriere in the VIP tent most of the time. with ski events, it is like car racing, you have to watch the big screen.

knelson
June 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Could I wear my Olympic Team Jacket if I attended?? Or my Olympic sweat suit?? from 1956.

Presumably not.

lefty
June 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM

1) You found what I said valuable enough to respond. Well in fairness, I wasn't screaming, so perhaps you weren't talking about me?
2) In order to make your profession as a swimmer, you have to attend this swim meet, there are no other ways to qualify for the Olympics, it recieves Government funding so it is quasi-private at best. I am generally not infavor of giving antitrust status to anyone.

I am surprised by your reaction geek. It is quite Pro-Government / anti-individual. Perhaps you are left leaning after all! Congratulations.

jim clemmons
June 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Presumably not.

The memorandum is only directed to coaches and athletes. There's no reference to spectators probably since they get to pay to watch.

meldyck
June 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
... it recieves Government funding so it is quasi-private at best...

I'm surprised to hear this. Is that really true? I'm wondering if you could tell me the sources and the amounts?

They are almost certainly a tax exempt organization, so, I guess, this could be viewed as Government funding. Is this what you had in mind or are there really federal grants to USA Swimming? This has really got my curiosity up...

meldyck
June 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM
The memorandum is only directed to coaches and athletes. There's no reference to spectators probably since they get to pay to watch.

Jim,

I believe that George was intending to compete and, therefore, be on deck with his older Olympic gear. That might be a problem.

aquageek
June 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I am surprised by your reaction geek. It is quite Pro-Government / anti-individual. Perhaps you are left leaning after all! Congratulations.

Actually, it's pro-private business so I'm quite consistent.

There are thousands upon thousands of companies that receive government money. Doesn't make them a government organization in the least.

geochuck
June 13th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Yes I was going to try and enter the Margarita Sprint to the finish. To see if I could get to the bottom of the glass before anyone else. I had a lot of practice at Wings Bar at the Phoenix airport on June the 6th. Where were you guys?

Jim,

I believe that George was intending to compete and, therefore, be on deck with his older Olympic gear. That might be a problem.

meldyck
June 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Yes I was going to try and enter the Margarita Sprint to the finish. To see if I could get to the bottom of the glass before anyone else. I had a lot of practice at Wings Bar at the Phoenix airport on June the 6th. Where were you guys?

George! June 6th in Phoenix? I thought only Paul Smith was brain-fried enough to like that kind of dry heat. I'm thinking you should spend summers in north country.

geochuck
June 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I was in Phoenix for 4.5 hours on the way to the great white north. Paul was waiting for me at the border but I flew over it.

Vancouver has been rather cool since. Today was a little sunny but cool. We are preparing here for the Winter Olympics in 2010.

They are logo protecting also.

George! June 6th in Phoenix? I thought only Paul Smith was brain-fried enough to like that kind of dry heat. I'm thinking you should spend summers in north country.

swimshark
June 14th, 2008, 07:09 AM
It's simple, the rings logo is a copyrighted logo. It can not be used without permission. AS a graphic artist, I understand this well.

As for the other restrictions, I see no problems. USA swimming has a right to their own rules.

knelson
June 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
We are preparing here for the Winter Olympics in 2010.

They are logo protecting also.

That's right, George. I better not see you putting up an inukshuk in your front yard!

stillwater
June 15th, 2008, 01:01 AM
NASCAR type suits.

We wouldn't want to emulate NASCAR, the bleachers couldn't handle the crowds.

gull
June 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
NASCAR type suits.

We wouldn't want to emulate NASCAR, the bleachers couldn't handle the crowds.

Besides, all of the swimmers would have to be named Bobby or Danny.