PDA

View Full Version : zone championship format

GoRedFoxes
March 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Does anyone else think the order of events at Zones are less than desirable? I know there are certain formats which have been created and approved by USMS, but will someone help me?! Especially Sunday, I suppose the thought is, more efficient to put the 500 free at the beginning of the meet. I mean, HELLO!, the 6 events are packed so tight, only a 200IM is there for anykind of break. The only other 200, is the fly, but that is at the beginning of the individual events, offering no break. You would think they would insert the 500 free somewhere to give some kind of breather.
We are almost encouraged to swim up to 5 events per day, not including relays. I'll be lucky to get 2 events in on Sunday.

I appologize for this venting, and I am sure that plenty of time was put into which format should be followed, but my fellow teammates have expressed similiar concern.

I also know, you can't please all of the people all of the time. But I would like to know how others feel.

Thanks,
and thank God the snow is finally melting here in the Adirondacks.
Joe Bubel

born2fly
March 18th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Joe,
I know of the frustration you have to the formats of the meets. I have competed in many meets over the winter and things are always different. I never understood why meet coordinators would put a 200 fly at end of meet. I much prefer 200 fly to be one of my first events and then followed up by the 100 fly.

However, that being said, I just competed in the Ohio State Championship meet and was pleased with the format. It was a Sat/Sun meet. The neat thing was Saturday was and open format, where you could swim the 50,100,200 of any stroke and the result would go against the times on Sunday. This was to help if you wanted to swim the event but it was to close together to an event you wanted to swim on Sunday.

However, I still did swim 5 events on Sunday and found the lack of rest not enough for me. It was basically swim my race, go warm down and get ready to swim again. They did give a few 5 minute breathers here and there. Of course, if there would have been more participants at meet there could have been more rest. I would say between my events I averaged 15 minutes in between each race.

Best of luck with your swims,
greg

GoRedFoxes
March 18th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Greg,
Open format? wow, I really like the sound of that. I've never heard it used before, but I have wondered about a running meet like that. That would be a really neat way to run a weekend meet like Zones. There would have to be some rules, such as, you can only swim a stroke and distance once. It would give freedom to the swimmer to 'schedule' how they would like to swim.

Thanks,
and like your Ohio State Championships, We have New York State Champs, and the same thing happens, it runs very quickly. I fault swimmer participation.

Joe

Barb Protzman
March 18th, 2003, 05:04 PM
USMS only determines the order of events for the national championship meets which are 4-day meets. As a member of the Championship Committee, I can tell you it is a long, time-consuming process to develop these. The conduct of the zone meet is up to the zone. We do need to update the Colonies Zone meet guide and make it a requirement for the hosts of our meets. This is one thing I hope to complete before the convention in September so it can be approved by the Zone. Currrently, the order of events for our zone championships is up to the meet host. The meet info is reviewed by several people before it is published, and if we felt there was some awful problem with the order, we would request a change. Since we get very few bids for the Zone Championships, we donít want to make running the meet so hard that it would discourage bidders.

But as you said, there is no order of events that will make everyone happy. I personally would want the 200 fly at the end of the day since it wipes me out for everything else. It is also normal for the 500 to be the first event of the day at Nationals, and having been meet director for the 2000 LCM Nationals, I know it works well.

While the open meet concept is interesting, it is only practical for smaller local meets. It would be impossible for a meet the size of the Colonies Zone. The Zone Championships are used by many people as their end-of-season goal meet if they are unable to travel to Nationals, and it should be run more like nationals than like a local meet.

Barb Protzman, Colonies Zone Chair

GoRedFoxes
March 19th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks Barb for your reply. and everything you said is absolutely correct. We all appreciate the time and energy put into meets like these. I run a small meet up here, and that is hard enough. :)

I suppose my only 'quarrel' (sp?) is the speed of the meet. I remember my first zones how psyched I was to see the meet run in 2 pools. I thought, "wow! we'll be out of here in no time". When it came to swim events, I thought, "argh! will somebody slow the meet down." The size of the meet (splashes) has everything to do with it. And depending on the size, perhaps (someday) a decision could be made on the fly to run the meet in 1 or 2 pools. Some kind of calculation to make sure that each event takes X minutes to run.

In any event, I am really psyched and cannot wait to swim in a pool such as George Mason U has. I'm really looking forward to getting down there, and even if the fatigue kills me, I will be giving it my all.

See you at Zones.
Joe

Mark in MD
March 22nd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Colonies Zone Entry Deadline Coming Up!

As friendly reminder, the closing date for the Colonies Zone Championship Meet is coming up fast, namely, Friday, March 28, 2003. For those who are yet undecided, entry forms need to be received on that date! If you need an entry form, go to the Colonies Zone website by clicking here (http://www.colonieszone.org). Psych sheets should be posted on the Colonies Zone website as soon as they are provided by Patriot Masters.

That being said, Joe, you shouldn't be disappointed with George Mason's facilities. If my memory serves me correctly (am I right, Barb?) and having been there twice this past summer, it seems that their pool has the capability of being divided into two pools, much like the University of Maryland's. I think "adjustments" were made on the spot during last year's zone meet to keep events moving right along. (I should know, it moved so fast at one point, I missed an event!)

As comment on your very first thread, you'll be happy to know that there's no more snow in Maryland. Look forward to seeing you (and many others) at the Zone meet.

Regards,

Mark Hurley
Colonies Zone Web Master

PS

Thanks for your nice comments on behalf of all who donate their time and talent.