PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post article on the Dolphin Kick

jonblank
June 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM
From the June 20 2008 Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/19/AR2008061903765.html?wpisrc=newsletter

Warren
June 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Change the 15 meter rule to 10 meters. Or make it illegal to fly kick on free and back.

ande
June 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
thanks jon,

chris also mentioned it in the
Help My SDK is Horrible Thread
and I archived it at this link (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=137600&postcount=62) in case the post ever drops it from their site

SDK is a critical skill

Ande

From the June 20 2008 Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/19/AR2008061903765.html?wpisrc=newsletter

knelson
June 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
Change the 15 meter rule to 10 meters. Or make it illegal to fly kick on free and back.

Why?

Not a bad article, but any article that mentions the greatest dolphin kickers and doesn't mention Ian Crocker is inherently flawed.

hofffam
June 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Why?

Not a bad article, but any article that mentions the greatest dolphin kickers and doesn't mention Ian Crocker is inherently flawed.

For some reason - Eddie Reese didn't mention Ian in the article-closing quote.

Allen Stark
June 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
Good article,but it may give the impression that swimmers do dolphin during freestyle,instead of only underwater.I also think the article didn't give enough credit to Natalie Coughlin.While Berkoff started it with back and Hymen in fly,Coughlin was the one who seemed to me to demonstrate it was devastatingly fast in all strokes(except BR.)She still has the best one in my opinion(although Crocker is also amazing.)

knelson
June 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Coughlin was the one who seemed to me to demonstrate it was devastatingly fast in all strokes(except BR.)

Yeah, Kitajima was the one who demonstrated it in breast!

ande
June 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM
there were swimmers using a longer SDK way before berkoff
I remember a texas tech swimmer who used it in backstroke back in the early 80's, I sure wish I had practiced and mastered SDK in my teens and early 20's, at the time I thought SDK felt funny and dolphin kicking with my arms by my side felt more natural

berkoff was the one who broke national records with his SDK

THAT GOT EVERYONE's attention
Swimmers realized, If I want to break records, I need to get great at that and use it in meets

surprisingly it took several years after berkoff for SDK to really catch on in fly and free
then pankratov (http://youtube.com/watch?v=nTAOOAoOhFU) broke world records and won olympic gold using a longer SDK
then fina shortened how far swimmers could kick

coaches and swimmers need to study, measure, and perfect SDK

Swimmers should only use SDK if it's faster for them
I'm still trying to figure out how many SDKs I should take in free and fly

UT's Hill Taylor SDKed a 50 backstroke in 23.9 from a backstroke start
SDK should be the 5th stroke

Good article,but it may give the impression that swimmers do dolphin during freestyle,instead of only underwater.I also think the article didn't give enough credit to Natalie Coughlin.While Berkoff started it with back and Hymen in fly,Coughlin was the one who seemed to me to demonstrate it was devastatingly fast in all strokes(except BR.)She still has the best one in my opinion(although Crocker is also amazing.)

Ripple
June 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Why is it that dolphin kick is easy to do on the back, not a lot more difficult on the side (with the body perpendicular to the pool bottom), but hard to do face down?

ande
June 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
that's just how it is for you
some swimmers prefer to SDK on their sides or their belly

I prefer SDK on my back and need to work on SDKing on my
left arm down side and
BELLY

Why is it that dolphin kick is easy to do on the back, not a lot more difficult on the side (with the body perpendicular to the pool bottom), but hard to do face down?

Paul Smith
June 21st, 2008, 09:57 PM
Jesse Vassallo

Yes Geek...another "product" of the 70's....and as John has said the "first".

Maui Mike
June 22nd, 2008, 12:58 AM
I was always a lousy kicker, one of the worst in any group I ever swam with. But my senior year in college ('67) I won a lot of beer money with the following challenge, "I'll race you across the pool (20 yards), I'll swim underwater and you can swim freestyle. Never lost! Our pool edge was about 16 " above the water level, high enough for a good racing start, followed by a double arm pull (like in a breastroke start), then with the arms at my side I wiggle rapidly, (full-body leading with the head), like some drug-crazed fish and set up for a one handed touch at the other side. I was still a rotten kicker with a board or with my hands extended out in front, but I was a demon in the 20 yard dash!

Allen Stark
June 22nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
A guy on my high school in the mid 60s was a All American in Backstroke and had an amazing dolphin,but a mediocre fly.In the 160 IM(20 yd pool) he'd go the first length and half of the second underwater(breathing at the turn of course.)