PDA

View Full Version : snorkels

jordangregory
June 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there using snorkels for stroke drill. And if so, which types are you using. I was looking at a couple of them. One is a freestyle snorkel, and one is a purse swimmers snorkel at kastaway swimwear. Is one better than another? Any advice on flipturns with one of these in?

aquageek
June 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Did you say snorkel, or dorkel?

Possible, yet difficult, to do flips in them. Just requires practice. The Finis one seems most popular on our team.

hofffam
June 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
I use the Finis freestyle snorkel weekly. I use it primarly to focus on stroke. By removing breathing I can concentrate on my catch and kick pacing.

Flip turns are not difficult. Takes a bit of practice to get used to holding enough air during the turn to clear the snorkel when you surface. Every once in a while I screw up and come up gasping - surely sounding like an idiot. But I don't really care!

knelson
June 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
It's not the holding your breath part on the turns that's hard for me, it's the fact the snorkel flops around a lot if you turn your head at all during the flip. I've gotten better at it with time, but I still need to reach up and straighten the snork once in a while.

Lately I've been trying to get in at least a couple hundred yards/meters per workout with a snorkel. Usually during warmup.

thewookiee
June 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
If the snorkel is flopping around, you may need to work on your streamlines better. When I started using it, I had trouble with it moving around. Once I made my streamlines tighter, that became a non-issue.

hofffam
June 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
It's not the holding your breath part on the turns that's hard for me, it's the fact the snorkel flops around a lot if you turn your head at all during the flip. I've gotten better at it with time, but I still need to reach up and straighten the snork once in a while.

Lately I've been trying to get in at least a couple hundred yards/meters per workout with a snorkel. Usually during warmup.

Do you have the freestyle snorkel?

You're right though - if you come off the wall with your head a bit sideways the snorkel will get pushed and may move. If you come off the wall with your head pointed straight (like it should be) the snorkel will stay put.

knelson
June 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
It's not really a problem during the streamline, it's during the actual turn. I think my head turns to the side during the somersault and that causes the snorkel to shift.

And, no, I don't have the freestyle snorkel, I have the older straighter model. I'm sure the freestyle one is better in this regard.

ImFree
June 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I;ve started using the Finis Freestyler over the last few months. I think the big benefit is it does allow you concentrate more on stroke mechanics, technique and balance. I'm not convinced there's a great benefit due to the restrictive breathing, and I have the restrictor cap that I use occasionally. It does take a little getting used to so take it easy at first, especially the turns, and it can wobble if you're wobbly on the turn. I've done as much as a 1000 yard set with it, as I'll use it w/ drills, pull, and some moderate - hard swimming (work the legs). I do think its helped my freestyle a bit.

david.margrave
June 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
I use one sometimes. I have to use a noseplug or do open turns. And on the turns, get lined up perfectly and push off somewhat gently to keep it from flopping around. They're great in a 50m pool.

hofffam
June 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
The snorkel is also very useful on kick sets without the board. Easier on the back.

One very interesting thing the snorkel did for me: A while back I did a couple of sets of 3 x 100 (SCY) very hard on 1:25. I swam the 1st set 111, 109, 109. That is fast for me. After a recovery set I swam another set of 3 - but my coach said I was breathing way harder than my peers so he suggested using the snorkel to start the set. I swam 104 with snorkerl, then 109 and 116 w/o snorkel. The point was I wasn't breathing well - I was exhaling late underwater and the snorkel showed that I was oxygen starved.

So it taught me to exhale earlier to get more air when I do breathe.

ourswimmer
June 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I use the Finis freestyle snorkel weekly. I use it primarly to focus on stroke. By removing breathing I can concentrate on my catch and kick pacing.

Flip turns are not difficult. Takes a bit of practice to get used to holding enough air during the turn to clear the snorkel when you surface. Every once in a while I screw up and come up gasping - surely sounding like an idiot. But I don't really care!

I have the Finis general "swimmer's" snorkel. I have the same challenge on turns: I have to breathe out enough to keep water from going up my nose, but not so much that I lack air with which to clear the water out of the snorkel after the turn. I tried using a nose clip with it but I still wound up with water in my nose, which was really uncomfortable with the nose clip holding it in.

I like how it really allows me to focus on torso rotation.

Allen Stark
June 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have both the regular and freestyle snorkels.While the freestyle is easier to flip with,I find the regular easier to use.I use it for warm up and cool down as well as kicking sets.I find I have less shoulder problems using the snorkel.