PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts for doing a swim meet

aztimm
June 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Well, I've been procrastinating for weeks about this, and now it is either register by 5 PM today, or not.... There's a chance the meet could get canceled for low registration, so every swimmer counts.

I'm considering swimming in a meet this Sunday:
http://www.azlmsc.org/forms/2008SunDevilLCM.pdf

I'm not new to doing swim meets, but my last meet was some time ago, in either 2002 or 2003 (whenever my team last hosted the USMS SCY nationals). I kind of got in a rut around that time, and wanted to work on some things, both in and out of the pool. One missed meet became 2, a year turned into more....

So my plan, if I do the meet, would be to still get up around 5am and do my long run (10 to 14 miles) before the heat sets in. I'd finish around 7am, do my abs, have a light breakfast, and head to the meet in time for a light swim warmup. The first events are the 1500 fr, 800 fr, and 400 IM, so I could easily show up while those are going on, and just use the warm-up pool as time permits. I know this isn't ideal, but I've been traveling a bit lately, and have already missed some runs, and don't want to miss this Sunday.

My swimming training hasn't really focused on anything lately. I get in a distance lane and do what the coach says. But based on the meet schedule, here are 4 events I would consider doing:

#1: 100 br OR 200 fr (these are back-to-back)
#2: 50 br OR 100 fr (again back-to-back)
#3: 400 fr
#4: 50 fr OR 200 br

When I used to do meets, my breast was half-decent for my age group. Not earth-shattering, but I would usually do a 200 br (especially long course) simply because hardly anyone else did it and I could get points for my team. I did the 200 br at the last meet I swam (SCY) in about 2:38.

My free times aren't great, but I've made personal improvements lately. I can do about a 1:05 for a 100 SCY free. Maybe a 2:18 for a 200 SCY free. I'm not a 50 free sprinter, so would lean more towards the 200 breast, even if I end up doing it in 3:30 (I would think closer to 3:10, but really don't know). I've done a 400 SCY free in just under 4:50.

So my questions here....
* Should I do the meet?
* If yes, what events?
* Then, what kind of seed times should I put, so I get in a decent race?

Let me know if you need more info to help. Thanks!

Midas
June 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM
You deserve and answer so here's my :2cents:: Of course you should swim in the meet! I find that swimming in meets is the best thing to keep me motivated to keep coming to the pool. Go have fun!

If you feel like you're in good shape (based on training with the distance swimmers) and that you enjoy swimming distance breaststroke, then I'd go for:
100 BR over the 200 FR--Based on the fact that you enjoy breaststroke
100 FR over 50 BR--50 BR is not really an event for breaststrokers. It's just another sprint. I'd opt for the 100 FR to give you some variety
200 BR over 50 FR--This sounds like an event you're comfortable with. It's truly a painful event, but if you like it then you should do it.
Nothing over 400 FR--The more events you compete in, the more worn down you will be. No reason to go nuts and swim this thing. It will sap all of your energy. You've already got a full dance card for a one-day event... My guess is that you won't be fully recovered from the 100 FR/50 BR by the time this comes up and you almost definitely won't recover from this in time for the 200BR. If you really want to do this one, then I'd skip both the 100 FR and the 200 BR and swap in the 50s

Midas
June 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
As far as seed times go, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just put in times you think you can safely swim.

hofffam
June 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I will never race 4 events in one day unless they are well spaced and none over a 100.

I do not recover fast enough.

Yes you should do the meet. Don't feel you need to do a bunch of events to get your money's worth. Do what you like, and think have a chance to do reasonably well. That works much better for me - swim well in a few events than swim badly in a bunch.

As for times - only you know from your practice times how fast/slow you are. Use that info and add/subtract from your last race times. I'd probably still add a bit of time so I can beat them.

Big AL
June 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Go to the meet!!

It's going to be hot, though, so don't enter long races if you have any problems with the heat.

Another thing to consider, use the 50/100 free as an option to swim ANY stroke. So, if you have some back-to-back swims, use the free to do the race you wouldn't normally get all your rest.... since the meet is going to be really small and quick.... this has worked for me in the past. I would also limit to 3 races, since it may be over in 3 hours.

tjrpatt
June 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Who did the Order of Events for this meet, a sprinter!

david.margrave
June 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
There appears to be an on-line form here for those undecided

http://www.sundevilmasters.org/

I registered by mail a week ago. I hope it's not cancelled, because the Brophy meet is too late to pick up more NQTs.

Big AL
June 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
As to the desert heat, I think I'm fairly adjusted. I've lived here for 13 years. I've been swimming at various times (6am, noon, 6pm) over the past few weeks, while trying to do my runs in the morning when it is still tolerable out (as tolerable as it will get).

After 20 years in AZ and training at noon for much of the time, I thought so, too, until I had a heat stroke swimming a 800 LCM in 112 degree weather and 84 degree water a few years ago.

Be very careful and take proper precautions for sun exposure. I just stick to 50s and 100s anymore and do much better. Maybe a 200, but we'll see when the time comes.....

Midas
June 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I like Midas's ideas, and think I'll follow that advice. For some reason, whenever I've done meets, I've always done the max number of events. Especially after running 10+ miles that morning, 3 events will be more than enough.

As to the desert heat, I think I'm fairly adjusted. I've lived here for 13 years. I've been swimming at various times (6am, noon, 6pm) over the past few weeks, while trying to do my runs in the morning when it is still tolerable out (as tolerable as it will get).

I just got a call from a co-worker who is doing the meet, but only the 50 free. He doesn't swim with a team. He was trying to get me to do the 50 free with him, but he has a 0:26 ish seed time. I told him I'd embarrass myself if I tried to do that event with a seed time anywhere close (I'd be more like 0:33). This way we'll be able to cheer for each other.

Awesome! Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

david.margrave
June 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I assume if they're going to cancel it they'd put up some notice on sundevilmasters.org here shortly? I'd have a decision to make - go to AZ this weekend anyway and visit relatives, or postpone my trip for 2 weeks and go to the Brophy meet.

swimshark
June 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Good luck to all swimming.