PDA

View Full Version : Lyme disease.

art_z
June 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease and have begun treatment with anti-biotics. How might this affect my training?

SwimStud
June 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease and have begun treatment with anti-biotics. How might this affect my training?

Aren't you supposed to stay out of the sun, when you're on those meds?
Sucks to have that disease...good you got diagnosed!

Iwannafly
June 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
A friend of mine, who I swim and mountain bike with, finished his antibiotics for Lyme disease three weeks ago. He said that it took nearly two weeks after finishing the course of treatment until he started to feel like he was regaining strength.

geochuck
June 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
So many side effects if you did not get onto the medication soon enough. I hope all turns out well for you.

art_z
June 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
the antibiotics require you to avoid the sun. i swim indoors, but i do notice easy fatigue

quicksilver
June 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hey art,

It's not fun. I've had it twice now. The first time was hard. Aches and pains, and a very high fever. (Second time around wasn't so bad.)
It does make you feel a bit weaker. And the medication doesn't help matters at all. It can reduce your appetite making you feel even more lethargic.

Fortunately it's only for 3 weeks. Luckily you seem to have caught it in time.
Some people don't notice anything at all...until it's too late, and it's lingered in their system for a while. That's when the complications can be bad.

As far as going in the sun...it all depends on how well you tan. I'm half Italian and the sun exposure wasn't an issue at all.
Spent hours at the ocean, and turned brown as usual. Some people however get beet red after only 10 or 15 minutes.

Go easy and you'll be as good as new in no time. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to slow down your normal intervals in the workouts.
I got it last year at this time (mid June), and by August everything was back to normal.

Good Luck.

swimshark
June 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM
No advice but wanted to say I'm sorry you got it and glad you are under treatment now. I hope you feel better soon.

Allen Stark
June 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I hope they caught it early.Caught early it is generally easy to treat.Listen to your body,you will probably feel a little tired,don't try to tough it out.If you feel very tired,then don't do much,maybe get in and warm up,maybe not even that.It is hard to tell,everybody reacts differently.

jaegermeister
June 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
If caught at an early stage (that is, in the first weeks of the infection) there should be no long lasting adverse effects. I agree with other posters that you can listen to your body in terms of stamina and tolerance of high levels of exertion.
If you're taking doxycycline, make sure you wash the pills down well. If they get caught in your esophagus, they can cause some nasty pain.

art_z
June 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words. It was caught early. I had a fever one weekend and the red "bullseye" appeared the following week. The fever was weird and out of nowhere, and rough for that matter, but once it went away I assumed it was all ok. Then the red spot appeared on my thigh and I knew it was Lymes. I never saw or felt the tick bite. The day the spot appeared I went to the doctor and started treatment, so I am pretty sure I caught it within 2 weeks of the bite and can hope to kick it quickly. I am 3 weeks of doxycycline.

Intervals are definitely slower, but what can you do. Better now than at zones :)