PDA

View Full Version : Speedo unveils Team USA LZR

knelson
June 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Personally I think it's hideous: http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/18358.asp

LindsayNB
June 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Speedo's Team USA LZR RACER will be individually created for, and exclusively available, to all members of Team USA in Beijing.
To get in the spirit of swimming, the limited edition Team Speedo USA collection is now available for purchase at www.speedousa.com.

I wonder if all the swimmers at the Olympics will get individually tailored suits or just a few countries will.

I wonder how "exclusively available to" and is "now available for purchase" are squared? Perhaps the individually created versions are exclusive...

hofffam
June 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hmmmm....not so bad on Natalie!

aquageek
June 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
These are some pretty sweet suits and keeping with the long running tradition of over the top US Olympic costumes. I always get a kick out of watching the opening ceremonies to see the horrifying outfits our athletes are forced to wear.

ande
June 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
looks pretty cool to me hope the zippers don't break

I also wonder how the LZR truly stacks up against the Nero Comp and the TYR tracer rise. The LZR is faster than the PRO, but is it faster than the other two?

most of the WR's have been broken with swimmers wearing LZRs because Speedo has a greater marketing budget and more sponsored athletes, but what if one of the other suits is faster?

some swimmers who've tried all 3, chose the B70

What if a swimmer has the kind of improvement that Greg Mills had in his 200 BR & 200 IMs?
http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5355/my-blueseventy.html

pretty soon well see

thewookiee
June 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Natalie looks good in anything...even in this suit with it's less than impressive appearance.

scyfreestyler
June 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hmmmm....not so bad on Natalie!

But then again, what doesn't? :agree:

Leonard Jansen
June 27th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I am all for employing the blind, but not necessarily as suit art designers. Surely out of 300,000,000 people in this country, there has to be one person who could do better than that. Of course, the USA Track & Field athletes will have something vastly worse - it's almost a requirement.

-LBJ

Iwannafly
June 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I am all for employing the blind, but not necessarily as suit art designers. Surely out of 300,000,000 people in this country, there has to be one person who could do better than that. Of course, the USA Track & Field athletes will have something vastly worse - it's almost a requirement.

-LBJ

You mean something like this?
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/51537459.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6D180A147F49EB0FD A245704FE6840619

Sam Perry
June 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I think they look pretty cool. Starting to look like race cars which isn't a bad thing. I can imagine as more money comes into the sport, especially on other continents, these suits will have logos and brand names in them. If it brings more money to the athletes to keep them in the sport, then great!

I do agree with Geek though, the US athletes many times have to wear the most ridiculous outfits at opening ceremonies. I distinctly remember on more that one occasion them having to wear some cheesy red, white, or blue cowboy hat.

aquageek
June 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I distinctly remember on more that one occasion them having to wear some cheesy red, white, or blue cowboy hat.

Oh man, that is the one that I was thinking also, forever burned into my brain.

Leonard Jansen
June 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
You mean something like this?
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/51537459.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6D180A147F49EB0FD A245704FE6840619

I actually have the sweatsuit that went with that from my coaching days. It's hideous. Actually, in the last few years the US T&F team uniforms have been drab to the point of being anonymous.

-LBJ

knelson
June 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I think they wore cowboy hats at the 1988 winter games as a nod to the host city, Calgary.

Do people really think Coughlin looks good in that suit? I can't even tell there's a woman in there. Seriously, if her head wasn't shown, and she didn't have her toenails polished, would you know it was a woman wearing the suit?

thewookiee
June 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Probably not...but we know it's her, so most guys just let their minds do the rest for us...

ehoch
June 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I don't know what they did -- but she looks about 40 like this -- I think it is pretty difficult to make her look bad -- but they certainly tried.

tjrpatt
June 27th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Did anyone see Natalie Coughlin in that two piece outfit that was USMS Swimmer mag? Wow!

Jazz Hands
June 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Wow that's ugly.

Warren
June 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Thats the best they could come up with...?

aquageek
June 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I am of the opinion that Kathy Lee Regis Gifford has designed all the US Olympic apparel since 1980.

aquageek
June 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I wonder if all the swimmers at the Olympics will get individually tailored suits or just a few countries will.

Just cool countries, ruling Canada out.

SwimStud
June 27th, 2008, 01:33 PM
All I have to say about that hideously garish outfit is "ROFLMAO," and "Coming to a masters meet near you this fall!"

:rofl:

SwimStud
June 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
But then again, what doesn't? :agree:

I hear it's even better off of Natalie...

SwimStud
June 27th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I think they look pretty cool. Starting to look like race cars which isn't a bad thing. I can imagine as more money comes into the sport, especially on other continents, these suits will have logos and brand names in them. If it brings more money to the athletes to keep them in the sport, then great!

I do agree with Geek though, the US athletes many times have to wear the most ridiculous outfits at opening ceremonies. I distinctly remember on more that one occasion them having to wear some cheesy red, white, or blue cowboy hat.

C'mon Sam you're kidding right? If they are going to swim in that, then they should spray the US team green and dress them like lady liberty for the opening cermony!

Anyway, I though all American's wear cowboy hats and boots? They issued them to me with my passport after I took the pedge ;)

Nathan
June 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I like it

Blackbeard's Peg
June 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
ugh.

thewookiee
June 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Nathan likes it because he is hoping it is the new suit his wife will be getting fitted for after next week.

imspoiled
June 27th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Ok, it's ugly. The shot from behind is hideous, and NC does not look bad from behind (usually). The stripes down the leg are bad.

But, I wonder, if they got rid of the awful caligraphy and just had the flag motif down the one side... maybe not so bad?

tjrpatt
June 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
As the kids would say, "what a hot mess".

swimshark
June 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM
It's beyond ugly. It's FUGLY!

USMSarah
June 27th, 2008, 03:42 PM
That is the most awful thing I have ever seen... I know that Speedo didn't have much room to deal with due to those grey panels... but I'm beyond disappointed. There is a new black suit that speedo has out on their website and it has a USA flag going down the one side... that would have been a bit better looking.

But, the Beijing suit looks like a NASCAR. ;)

ande
June 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Natalie looks good in anything...

and even better in nothing?

thewookiee
June 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
and even better in nothing?

If you actually want an answer to that one...

Nathan
June 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Nathan likes it because he is hoping it is the new suit his wife will be getting fitted for after next week.

LOL. That would be the ideal result, but that's not why I like it.

KeithM
June 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Will the athletes have the option of wearing the all black LZR instead of this eyesore?

thewookiee
June 27th, 2008, 04:54 PM
LOL. That would be the ideal result, but that's not why I like it.

If that's not why you like it, personally, I can't see any other reason. The people at speedo must have had beer goggles on when they said " this one isn't so bad after a few"

Nathan
June 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
If that's not why you like it, personally, I can't see any other reason. The people at speedo must have had beer goggles on when they said " this one isn't so bad after a few"

It's unique. For me, anything outside of the plain colors is a plus. Suits are mundane, nothing wrong with a little spice :)

beluga
June 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Maybe its generational;

my wife and I think it's hideous,

my 15yo daughter and 14yo son think it's cool

JimRude
June 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
That is one of the ugliest suits I've ever seen.

KeithM
June 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
They should have done something like Splish Custom and had people design their own versions with the LZR schematic. Then taken the best results and polled athletes registered with USA Swimming. Leaving it to the whims of one artist is always a risk.

Sam Perry
June 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I do like the suit. I think it's flashy and we need that. As I was looking at her pic, is it me or does her face when she is not smiling in this photo look like Hilary Clinton?

Glider
June 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yup, but I'd seriously consider buying it in a "grab bag" for half price. Isn't that what you do with the fugly ones!!!

It's beyond ugly. It's FUGLY!

scyfreestyler
June 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I do like the suit. I think it's flashy and we need that. As I was looking at her pic, is it me or does her face when she is not smiling in this photo look like Hilary Clinton?

Bite your tongue.

Glider
June 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I think you just ruined the Olympics for me:eek:

Allen Stark
June 27th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I don't like it,but what does a geezer know:oldman:.

quicksilver
June 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM

She does just a bit.

tjburk
June 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I am with Sam...I honestly like it! Is there anyone in here that would turn down wearing it under the circunstances they would get one???? I think not!:rofl:

KeithM
June 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I would not put it on unless it was an absolute requirement. Wearing the standard LZR would be embarrassing enough.

I'd like to get a better view of the right side profile. Looks like it's some sort of cow print?

thewookiee
June 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM

Sam,

Please don't insult Natalie by saying she looks like that person(being generous with that term)

PArob83
June 27th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Other then looking like you have a candycane leg, i think it looks alright.
though id never wear one... not because it looks like that but because i enjoy being able to put my suit on in under 20 seconds.

knelson
June 28th, 2008, 12:19 AM
But, I wonder, if they got rid of the awful caligraphy and just had the flag motif down the one side... maybe not so bad?

The story mentioned calligraphy as well, but I'm not seeing it. Where's the calligraphy?

Sam Perry
June 28th, 2008, 12:35 AM
She does just a bit.

Ok, that is funny. Better watch out with the politics, don't want to get shut down. People need to lighten up.

Brian Stack
June 28th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Sam,

Please don't insult Natalie by saying she looks anything like that dog.

You know you could have said something intelligent . . .

Spock
June 28th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Horrible. Embarrassing. Something I can show my art students as an example of an over the top mistake.

swimshark
June 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I'd like to get a better view of the right side profile. Looks like it's some sort of cow print?

The cow print is what puts it from ugly to fugly. Why do they need to wear a cow on their right side?

quicksilver
June 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Ok, that is funny. Better watch out with the politics, don't want to get shut down. People need to lighten up.

You're right. :) Your other thread went straight into forbidden territory.
(It was pretty funny by the way.)

That said, I asked my 13 year old and her friend (both swimmers) what they thought of the new team suit.
They let out two resounding..."Eeeeewwws". Not in a good way.

As always with fashion and art, the designer's intention draws out mixed reviews. The artist wants the suit to appear as if the flag is waving underwater.
It's interesting to note that she designed the original patterns on the basic grey and black LZRs.

From The New York Times....

Perhaps the biggest stars-and-stripes splash is expected on Sunday, when Speedo will unveil its collaboration with Rei Kawakubo (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/k/rei_kawakubo/index.html?inline=nyt-per) of Comme des Garçons for the American swimmers headed to the Olympic Games. Swimmers at the Olympic trials in Omaha will be wearing versions of the speedy LZR Racer suit — swimmers wearing it have set 38 world records since it was introduced in February.

The new suits have panels that show pieces of the waving flag along the left leg and crisscrossing the torso, which are intended, when underwater, to look as if the flag is in motion. “Rei’s two favorite flags are the American flag and the Japanese flag,” said Adrian Joffe, the husband and business partner of Ms. Kawakubo. “She also likes the Union Jack. It’s pure graphic design that cannot be improved.”

Ms. Kawakubo, who designed the original gray and black LZR, offered customized suits to several other countries, but Team USA, Mr. Joffe said, was the only one to accept her flag design.

thewookiee
June 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Sam, your other thread was awesome. Too bad some people take somethings too serious, instead of having fun with them.

Now, I wonder what it would be like if Swim Canada ran our meets? hmmm

Paul Smith
June 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Too bad some people take somethings too serious, instead of having fun with them.

You got that right...I love a PM I got accusing me of "attacking" USMS!

The sad part is we never got a chance to do the Republican and Libertarian versions....of well PC rules these days.

scyfreestyler
June 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM

The sad part is we never got a chance to do the Republican and Libertarian versions....oh well PC rules these days.

Heaven forbid anybody should get their feelings hurt.

knelson
June 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I thought the other thread was good, especially ehoch's comebacks. However, political discussion is specifically banned in the rules, so I guess it's demise was inevitable.

USMSarah
June 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM

The look on her face is saying, "I hate this suit."

knelson
June 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'm not really seeing the Hillary similarity--other than in quicksilver's Photochop--but I thought of one big difference between Clinton and Coughlin. No one will ever say Coughlin stayed in a race too long :)

scyfreestyler
June 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm not really seeing the Hillary similarity--other than in quicksilver's Photochop--but I thought of one big difference between Clinton and Coughlin. No one will ever say Coughlin stayed in a race too long :)

:joker: Very nice Mr. Nelson, very nice!

thewookiee
June 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM

The sad part is we never got a chance to do the Republican and Libertarian versions....of well PC rules these days.

Being "pc" is one thing that I will never be accused of being...and I say "thank goodness" for that too.

The Fortress
June 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
looks pretty cool to me hope the zippers don't break

I also wonder how the LZR truly stacks up against the Nero Comp and the TYR tracer rise. The LZR is faster than the PRO, but is it faster than the other two?

most of the WR's have been broken with swimmers wearing LZRs because Speedo has a greater marketing budget and more sponsored athletes, but what if one of the other suits is faster?

some swimmers who've tried all 3, chose the B70

What if a swimmer has the kind of improvement that Greg Mills had in his 200 BR & 200 IMs?
http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5355/my-blueseventy.html

pretty soon well see

It's Glenn Mills, ande!! Glenn swam great at IGLA. But his time drops could also be due to the fact that he's still in comeback mode. That's what, only his second SCM meet? Also, his stroke did look somewhat different that at Nats. He was riding the glide for more DPS.

Oh, I hate the Tea, USA suit too! Blech. For me, it would be distracting to wear something like that.

amyro1234
June 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I really want that swim suit! It is kind of ugly, but I would love to set some new swimming PRs. I'd buy it if it wasn't 500 dollars :eek:
I would NOT buy the American flag one though. I'd rather be slow than look like a complete dork :)

Dolphin 2
June 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Since we’re on the subject of LZRs, whenever I hear Speedo's claim of “Reduced Drag” does this mean that fewer of the men's swimmers will be dressing up in women’s clothes? :bolt:

http://www.answers.com/topic/drag-queen

Dolphin 2

aquageek
June 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Since we’re on the subject of LZRs, whenever I hear Speedo's claim of “Reduced Drag” does this mean that fewer of the men's swimmers will be dressing up in women’s night gowns? :bolt:

Dolphin 2

Beat it! We have no use for you.

Dolphin 2
June 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Beat it! We have no use for you.

Hey Aquageek
Since you seem to be in a habitually cranky mood, here’s something that might help alleviate your discomfort and become a happier person: :agree:

http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/images/product/Exlax_Plus_Stool_Softener_24Caplets_enlarge.jpg

Dolphin 2

Iwannafly
June 30th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hey Aquageek
Since you seem to be in a habitually cranky mood, here’s something that might help alleviate your discomfort and become a happier person: :agree:

http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/images/product/Exlax_Plus_Stool_Softener_24Caplets_enlarge.jpg

Dolphin 2

I don't often agree with you, but I must admit that this post made me laugh!

aquageek
June 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hey Aquageek

Dolphin 2

Typical, only fitting that you've gone from discussing toilets a few weeks ago to laxatives now. At least you know your area of expertise, certainly not swimming.

thewookiee
June 30th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Since we’re on the subject of LZRs, whenever I hear Speedo's claim of “Reduced Drag” does this mean that fewer of the men's swimmers will be dressing up in women’s clothes? :bolt:

Dolphin 2

Interesting that someone from San Fran is complaining about something like that...if ya don't like guys wearing those suits, then don't watch em when the swim...that simple.

thewookiee
June 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Typical, only fitting that you've gone from discussing toilets a few weeks ago to laxatives now. At least you know your area of expertise, certainly not swimming.

lmao!

hofffam
June 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM

It would have to have a pantsuit covering a very wide ass to mistake it for even a nanosecond as Hillary.

Sam Perry
June 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It would have to have a pantsuit covering a very wide ass to mistake it for even a nanosecond as Hillary.

HAHAHA Touche'. Be careful the political correct police are coming after you, but that was funny!

thewookiee
June 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM

"now that is funny...I don't care who ya are...that is funny. Lord, be with the overly sensitive pc people in country"

-Larry The Cable Guy

The Fortress
June 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I may be a tank, but I don't have a wide ass. Of course, in that Team USA suit, anything is possible. Geek is cranky? I thought he'd been positively sunny the last year with all those triathlon endorphins.

Dolphin 2
July 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I was wondering if Speedo has any plans to market the LZR as a sky diving suit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cydavid/2600222993/

Since Speedo claims the LZR has lower drag, wouldn't it help divers fall faster??? :agree:

Dolphin 2

beluga
July 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm sure that are some skydivers who make jumps for raw speed, but usually skydivers want to control their descent. Most jump suits have extra fabric flaps, i.e. wings, so they can 'fly'