PDA

View Full Version : Masters exhibition at olympic trials

rtodd
June 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I noticed that in track, the USATF is holding masters exhibitions at the trials. In this case a men's 3K and a women's 200m. (Remember in track Masters is over 40) I also remember them having Masters events at US Championships. I think a few year's ago Willie Gault ran less than a second off the 100m high hurdles WR at like 44 years old.

Why doesn't swimming have something similar? Invite the 8 fastest from Nationals for say a few exhibition 50's and 100's in the 40+ and 50+ catagories? I feel this would create a buzz for swimming and show just how close some can get to making trials. How cool would it be for the fans and for promoting the sport. Does USMS have a strong affiliation with USA swimming to do this? Just a thought.

Paul Smith
June 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Two years ago a group of us approached USS to "challenge" a group of USS women's swimmers to go head to head in a dual meet against a group of 40+ male masters swimmers as a fund raiser for USS, possibly coinciding with the Golden Goggles event...several further attempts have been made and still never responded two...guessing they ended up on Shuberts desk.

rtodd
June 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Man, that would have been awesome.

LindsayNB
June 30th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Two years ago a group of us approached USS to "challenge" a group of USS women's swimmers to go head to head in a dual meet against a group of 40+ male masters swimmers as a fund raiser for USS, possibly coinciding with the Golden Goggles event...several further attempts have been made and still never responded two...guessing they ended up on Shuberts desk.

I read something recently with a quote something along the lines of "that would look great on your resume, not so good on mine" in explaining why someone wouldn't engage in debates on some topic. I expect that something similar applies here, what would they stand to gain?

Paul Smith
July 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM
I read something recently with a quote something along the lines of "that would look great on your resume, not so good on mine" in explaining why someone wouldn't engage in debates on some topic. I expect that something similar applies here, what would they stand to gain?

Money/Press

JMiller
July 1st, 2008, 12:55 AM
Look, that other topic of masters being a "loser's round" has hit a nerve with me, it really is an insult to everything I find joy in. I know this isn't that thread, but that makes me wonder, why don't we have a Masters division at the Olympics??

I think it really comes down to the perception of what it means to be "great". Younger athletes focus on performance as being the ultimate quest, whereas a master sees the process through training to be of higher value. Who is right?

A truly exceptional master has both, the capacity to perform, and a deeper understanding of the human condition in which we live.

What is the point of sport in the first place? To see if we can extend the "normal" limits of physical possibilities, and that includes age-barriers. An adult with power in the pool, and high standing in life is truly remarkable, and that should be equated with Olympic success.

LindsayNB
July 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Money/Press

Perhaps you can elaborate on the money making potential of this event?
From the brand point of view I just have trouble seeing it as a win.

If your men's team were to post a few tens of thousands of dollars to the women's team that could beat you you might get takers.

JMiller
July 1st, 2008, 11:14 AM
Masters swimming as a "brand" could be marketed effectively with the right investment approach.

Everyone ages, and no-one wants to.

This is a deep-rooted unconscious element to the human experience, and as this demographic continues to age so does the need to be inspired. Older members of society with considerable clout and wealth are more likely to relate to the dreams of a master.

Paul Smith
July 1st, 2008, 11:18 AM
Perhaps you can elaborate on the money making potential of this event?
From the brand point of view I just have trouble seeing it as a win.

If your men's team were to post a few tens of thousands of dollars to the women's team that could beat you you might get takers.

No idea...but I can tell you the Golden Goggles event has some pretty substantial donors...I might be wrong but something unique like this that raises money for USS may be of interest to some of the same donors...and the humor value alone of something like this may interest people in watching.

michaelmoore
July 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
Ten years ago there was a Masters vs USA Swimmers race in Phoenix. It was written about in Splash and then it was posted on the Pacific Masters web site

http://www.pacificmasters.org/general/glory.html

it is a fun read although dated.

michael

rtodd
July 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
That's good stuff. We need to see more of it.

quicksilver
July 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I know this isn't that thread, but that makes me wonder, why don't we have a Masters division at the Olympics??

It's an excellent idea.

Sponsorship for adult sports could be huge in terms of all the geriatric products which are marketed these days.
Maintaining youthfulness, and healthy living seems to have a very broad appeal.

http://www.masters-athlete.com/