PDA

View Full Version : USMS Swimmer Mag Cover Question

pdjang
July 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Who is the swimmer on the USMS Swimmer Magazine cover? It was taken at Austin (SCY Nats).

I'm also curious about the speed suit that the person is wearing - it looks like a chinese speed suit (yingfa??). Is this suit sold in the USA?

TIA,
Philipp

Suit Chaser
July 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
There's an interview with this swimmer at:

http://www.usmsswimmer.com/200807/chidester.pdf

geochuck
July 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yingfa http://www.yingfa.com.au/

Here is a USA company http://www.jenaquaswimwear.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

The Fortress
July 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
I thought it was odd she wasn't identified either.

Not so impressed with the article on Nats. Way over the top with the odes to the Olympians. I'm just not interested in Olympians who scratch 5 out of 6 events of another who only swims one event because he's not in shape to swim the 50 free or wants to golf. I would rather have read about real masters swimmers with a passion for swimming or those grabbing their first national championship like Kirk or Smith by Marriage.

pdjang
July 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
I thought it was odd she wasn't identified either.

Not so impressed with the article on Nats. Way over the top with the odes to the Olympians. I'm just not interested in Olympians who scratch 5 out of 6 events of another who only swims one event because he's not in shape to swim the 50 free or wants to golf. I would rather have read about real masters swimmers with a passion for swimming or those grabbing their first national championship like Kirk or Smith by Marriage.

http://www.usmsswimmer.com/200807/chidester.pdf (http://www.usmsswimmer.com/200807/chidester.pdf) (thank you for the link).

We all should read this article. Very simply, it is a tribute to deep personal courage. I don't know why I missed seeing it in the magazine. Perhaps it was because I just scanned the magazine and glossed over the "olympic golfer story" - or maybe it didn't make the print version.

The swimmer is Vicky Chidester. It is her first nationals and she is battling terminal cancer. The article is a great interview and I really wish that I had known she was at Austin. I swam with her as an age grouper (Quaker Oats Junior Olympics - anyone?) and still swim with her older brother at New Mexico State Natatorium on occasion. I haven't seen him in months.

I don't know how much longer she will live, but if some one could send me a personal note with her email, I would like to contact her.

Finally, I agree with your post. After you read the article, you may feel as I did - that this should have been one of the highlights of Austin.

P

knelson
July 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I would rather have read about real masters swimmers with a passion for swimming or those grabbing their first national championship like Kirk or Smith by Marriage.

Thanks for the plug!

I was also looking all over to find Ms. Chidester's name. It is in there, but pretty well hidden. Look for "On the Cover" in the masthead on p. 4.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 5th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I missed the article. I am going to say it again. I get two swimming mags. Ours, I rarely read more than 1/3 of it. It seems tome to be getting worse. Mean while th eother is getting bedtter adn covers more real news.

swimshark
July 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM
And again I haven't gotten mine. I seem to get it 3 weeks after others. I don't live that far from Fort so why is mine always later than hers? I should have mine delivered to her house and I could walk there to get it faster than it arrives in the mail!

Bill Volckening
July 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Alison,

The July/August issue of SWIMMER was mailed one day ahead of schedule on June 19th. Please ask your local post office about their delays delivering the magazine to you.

See you at Mt. Hood,
Bill

And again I haven't gotten mine. I seem to get it 3 weeks after others. I don't live that far from Fort so why is mine always later than hers? I should have mine delivered to her house and I could walk there to get it faster than it arrives in the mail!

swimshark
July 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Bill, you mean it was mailed almost a month ago and I still don't have it again?

SwimStud
July 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Bill, you mean it was mailed almost a month ago and I still don't have it again?

Have you tried baking the postman some cookies? ;)

Blackbeard's Peg
July 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
In the USMS nationals article, if you look at the pic of the pool, there's a nice shot of everyone's favorite muppet.

imspoiled
July 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Maybe they're confused about your Oregon registration and VA address???

swimshark
July 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
It's amazing that 6 other magazines get to my house on time and Swimmer has been missing twice in a year. Hm.. could it be a problem with the mailer?

I want my magazine so I can see Muppet!!

VLChidester
July 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Philipp,

What kind words you have sent. I did talk to Alex recently. I have been trying to get him into Masters swimming regularly for awhile. He tells me that you and others also encourage him to participate. I think his schedule makes it difficult for him to get into the pool regularly. I know that he is running and doing some cycling. But, I sure would like to see him in the pool again.

He told me that you were at the Nationals, but I must have missed seeing your name on the psych sheet beforehand. So sorry I missed you. How are Doug and Lincoln doing? Do they swim also? How is your mother? What do you know about any of our former age group teammates?

So good to hear from you.
Best Regards,
Victoria (Vicky)

pdjang
July 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hi Philipp,

What kind words you have sent. I did talk to Alex recently. I have been trying to get him into Masters swimming regularly for awhile. He tells me that you and others also encourage him to participate. I think his schedule makes it difficult for him to get into the pool regularly. I know that he is running and doing some cycling. But, I sure would like to see him in the pool again.

He told me that you were at the Nationals, but I must have missed seeing your name on the psych sheet beforehand. So sorry I missed you. How are Doug and Lincoln doing? Do they swim also? How is your mother? What do you know about any of our former age group teammates?

So good to hear from you.
Best Regards,
Victoria (Vicky)

Hi Vicky,
Check your private messages (right top window box of the forum page).
Hope you are feeling well,
Philipp