PDA

View Full Version : portland, me

swimman79
July 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I will be relocating to portland, me in august and would like to find a group to swim with... I have been training myself (I have been a USA swim coach for the past 9 years and I was a USMS coach for 3) and am looking for people to swim with (5 years on my own is beginning to get lonely).

I am 29, male and my best times in college were 2:14 200 br, 4:57 500 fr, 1:48 200 fr, 2:00 200 IM, 4:20 400 IM, 1:00 100 br

Any suggestions???

swimmingforME
July 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Definitely the Portland YMCA would be a good place for you. There is a fast group that swims there everyday at 12pm. Good luck!

ViveBene
July 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hi - I'm pretty sure there are other Portland ppl on this board. I would repost the question in the Swimming-Related forum (or Non-Swimming-Related, either), which gets a much bigger readership.

There are some nice ocean swims in the area.

Regards, VB

jgale
July 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The YMCA group is a good suggestion. I know some of the group but don't swim with them due to my schedule. There is also a masters's group run by the City of Portland. We swim three morning per week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays at the Riverton pool. There is another group that swims Tuesday/Thursday evenings at the Reiche Pool. We have a coach and structured workouts.

The city group has a bit more of a mixture of abilities than the YMCA group, some very fast former college swimmers, some triathletes, some fitness swimmers, and a middle group of us that took up swimming as adults. We do have some members, myself included, that do some meets including the New England SCY, SCM, and LCM championships. Many of us do the Peaks to Portland swim, a 2.4 open water swim in July as well as other open water races. Members of our group took third and fifth among the men and second among the women.