PDA

View Full Version : Full body Endurance-type fabric suit?

LindsayNB
July 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know of a full body (wrist to ankle) suit made out of a fabric that lasts a long time? Preferably not several hundred dollars - I'm looking for coverage not speed in competition. I would like something for open water that would prevent sunburn and minimize jellyfish stings. No matter how much sunblock I put on I burn on a long swim during the day, and the jellyfish are everywhere right now.

Ripple
July 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Do you mean something like this?
http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/wetdvsk/DS20-B

LindsayNB
July 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks Rhoda! Do you have personal experience with swimming in one of these? Since they are designed for scuba I wonder how they work for swimming?

Actually the jellyfish have thinned out significantly, perhaps if I just avoid mid-day swimming I'll be alright until my next SwimTrek tour. I highly recommend Sardinia by the way!

Shaman
July 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I know speedo used to make a suit like you're describing and it was on Swimoutlet for a while. I checked and can't find it anymore.

BillS
July 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Kiefer has a full body suit for $59.99. It's lycra, but the price is right.

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=600090&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetit ive%20Swim&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree %3D0%2CSwimwear&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D12%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tre e%3D1%2CKiefer%20Suits&HSLB=False&mscssid=0D7A286D9984470A8E7284FAB2D33893

Ripple
July 7th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks Rhoda! Do you have personal experience with swimming in one of these? Since they are designed for scuba I wonder how they work for swimming?

No, sorry the closest I've come is a long-sleeved rash shirt. I suppose it would create a bit of drag in the water, but parents send their kids to the beach in full body swimsuits now and they don't seem to get dragged under.
If you're feeling very brave/dramatic/want to be noticed by boat traffic, you could always go for one of these:

http://www.divegoddess.com/Postcards1207.html
:eek:

Actually the jellyfish have thinned out significantly, perhaps if I just avoid mid-day swimming I'll be alright until my next SwimTrek tour. I highly recommend Sardinia by the way!

I'm jealous! I won't be able to do another Swimtrek tour until next year.

LindsayNB
July 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm a little dubious of the unisex sizing, my hips are only slightly larger than my waist whereas the Keifer sizing chart gives a 44" hip for a 32" waist...

If I could find a "long" long sleeved rash guard that would be good enough, I have a full leg suit I could use with it. In Sardinia I only had the choice between a large shirt, which was way too large around the chest, and a medium which fit my torso nicely but wasn't long enough to stay tucked into my suit giving me a nice burn across my lower back. The large was awful to swim in but that's what I ended up in as my burn got progressively worse.

I went for a swim out front tonight, with just jammers, and the number of jellyfish was down but the ones that were there were about twice the size! Last week the water was much colder and the jellyfish were smaller and the stings didn't hurt too much, whether it was the warmer water or the bigger jellyfish the stings hurt a lot more tonight. :eek: Still, it was a nice way to end the day.

Ripple
July 7th, 2008, 10:09 PM
You could always get something that fits around the neck and shoulders and have it adjusted to fit everywhere else. If you know of an alteration shop that has a 4 thread serger (many dry cleaners offer alteration services), or even if you know of a local mom who makes her kid's skating dresses or dance costumes, she'd be likely to have the equipment and know-how to tailor the fit. Just make sure they use polyester thread. Cotton would be eaten up in no time, and I haven't had great results with wooly nylon in salt water either.

SwimStud
July 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm a little dubious of the unisex sizing, my hips are only slightly larger than my waist whereas the Keifer sizing chart gives a 44" hip for a 32" waist...

Lindsay, I find the rash/sunblock shirts too baggy when wet, they become really annoying. Have you thought about an "under armour" type shirt?
You can get a size smaller so that when it get's wet it stays snug...might chaffe a bit though. It's just an idea.

LindsayNB
July 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Lindsay, I find the rash/sunblock shirts too baggy when wet, they become really annoying. Have you thought about an "under armour" type shirt?
You can get a size smaller so that when it get's wet it stays snug...might chaffe a bit though. It's just an idea.

Hi Stud, I swam a 4.5km open water swim in a baggy rashguard suit and "really annoying" is an understatement! :mad: I finished the swim by pure stubbornness. On another day I borrowed a smaller tighter shirt and, perhaps it was just by comparison but I found it quite ok. Except for the fact that while I could stretch it out long enough to tuck it into my jammers it immediately came out when I started to swim and I got a 6" wide strip of sunburn across my lower back. I think a long version of that shirt would be quite satisfactory.

For anyone curious about the SwimTrek tour in Sardinia, I made a map of the swims we did when I was there. Our tour was the first, later tours may do different swims.

Google map of our swims (http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=105540958663293332375.000450a827c8333250fda&ll=41.244772,9.39743&spn=0.186897,0.43808&z=12)

The swim down the east coast of Caprera and the crossing from Spargi to Budelli were done in the baggy shirt and were slogs because of it. You have to zoom in on the map for the smaller islands to be shown clearly.

poolraat
July 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Why don't you look for one of the early generation fastskin suits. I got my FS1 for $71 about a year ago from the Speedo website. They aren't available there now but maybe Ebay or one of the other swim outlets might still have them at a good price.